PDA

View Full Version : Armor/weapon for mounts

tim01300
2013-07-04, 09:23 PM
Could a paladin place a helmet on his warhorse with a spike or horn on it for some sort of charge attack? Is there an item already available like this?

Slipperychicken
2013-07-04, 09:26 PM
IIRC, horses can already charge with their hooves.

Barsoom
2013-07-04, 09:29 PM
The Mouthpick weapon enhancement from LoM is probably what you're looking for.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-04, 09:31 PM
You need a bite attack to use mouth pick weapon.

Barsoom
2013-07-04, 09:33 PM
Which a warhorse conveniently has!

Humble Master
2013-07-04, 09:35 PM
For armor there is barding.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-04, 09:39 PM
For armor there is barding.

Link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#bardingMediumCreatureandLarge Creature)

Are horses proficient in their armor? Do they suffer ACP?

Humble Master
2013-07-04, 09:45 PM
Link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#bardingMediumCreatureandLarge Creature)

Are horses proficient in their armor? Do they suffer ACP? In the link it says that it reduces your mount's speed. It also states in the Animal type entry that Animals are quote:

"Proficient with no armor unless trained for war"

I think that would imply that Warhorses are proficient with armor.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-04, 09:46 PM
Which a warhorse conveniently has!

I was not aware of that.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-04, 10:14 PM
I was not aware of that.

Since when did horses bite people in battle?

Coidzor
2013-07-04, 10:53 PM
Could a paladin place a helmet on his warhorse with a spike or horn on it for some sort of charge attack? Is there an item already available like this?

The Horned Helm from Magic Item Compendium confers a gore attack. Mouthpick weapons from Lords of Madness confer proficiency with a weapon in exchange for being wielded in place of a bite attack and any breath weapons.

Dunno (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm), they've got nasty teeth though and have been known to mangle or remove fingers at times when they're just the regular old boring farm horse types, and I've at least run into the idea in fantasy before.

Barsoom
2013-07-04, 11:01 PM

Since it was written in the SRD. Warhorses. Bite attack. They have it. Period.

unseenmage
2013-07-04, 11:31 PM
You've obviously not watched horses fight or had one fight you?

Fun fact, horse jaws cannot open until they have completely closed. This is why horses that bite tend to become burgers and glue faster than those who do not.
Friend of the family had a mule bite her arm, it had to work its mouth down her arm to her hand before it's teeth would slide free of her flesh.

She was in physical therapy for years but finally has almost full use of the arm and hand again. Horse bites are no joke.

Stallions will even bite and toss from side to side smaller animals and the young of other stallions.

(Why? Why!? Does my redneck upbringing haunt me even here in this sanctum of nerds?)

nyjastul69
2013-07-05, 01:22 AM
Fun fact, horse jaws cannot open until they have completely closed. ...

o.O Do you have a source on that?

Slipperychicken
2013-07-05, 01:44 AM
Fun fact, horse jaws cannot open until they have completely closed.

Yikes. I never thought I'd say it, but horses are seriously hardcore.

Apparently these f***ers can bite down with 3,000 PSI to boot (adult human bite is 150 PSI). I am never touching a horse's head again.

Agent 451
2013-07-05, 02:05 AM
Fun fact, horse jaws cannot open until they have completely closed.

Hmm, I never noticed anything like that growing up. We had horses, but they weren't really my thing, considering even the best horse is a complete and utter a-hole.

unseenmage
2013-07-05, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
Fun fact, horse jaws cannot open until they have completely closed. ...

o.O Do you have a source on that?

Sorry no, I'm just a font of useless horse related info. My mother raised and trained horses. She even worked on a racetrack which required her to have a federal background check before I was born.

- horses also don't usually survive having twins
- lack the ankle structure that all other modern quadrupedal herbivores have that allows them to retract their feet from gopher holes
- tend to twist their guts when they roll even though they love to roll
- seem to actually try to drop their foals into the water bucket when giving birth
- and finally will founder (get deathly ill) from both too much cold water and from too much grain, neither problem is anywhere near so deadly to cattle/goats/ etc etc.

Sometimes it seems like horses are just kind of a failure of evolution allowed to survive by human kindness. :smallannoyed:

Uncle Pine
2013-07-05, 04:13 AM

Apparently these f***ers can bite down with 3,000 PSI to boot (adult human bite is 150 PSI). I am never touching a horse's head again.

Yeah, horses are terrible people indeed :smalleek:

Spiryt
2013-07-05, 04:26 AM
Sometimes it seems like horses are just kind of a failure of evolution allowed to survive by human kindness. :smallannoyed:

Well, not quite.

Most modern horses, bred and risen by humans to their current shape, indeed would have huge problems surviving without humans.

Same with many other domesticated animals.

Some wild horses that are still surviving out there are in fact rather gritty beasties.

TuggyNE
2013-07-05, 05:08 AM
Some wild horses that are still surviving out there are in fact rather gritty beasties.

They're a bit less fragile, yes, but they still seem to have problems with broken legs and such-like (not sure if foundering is an issue, given the apparent merits of barefooting it). Wild horses are kinda like cheetahs in some ways; sure, they can survive, more or less, but they're never going to win an award for "most tenacious animal in ecosystem". Not even a little.

Spiryt
2013-07-05, 05:17 AM
They're a bit less fragile, yes, but they still seem to have problems with broken legs and such-like (not sure if foundering is an issue, given the apparent merits of barefooting it). Wild horses are kinda like cheetahs in some ways; sure, they can survive, more or less, but they're never going to win an award for "most tenacious animal in ecosystem". Not even a little.

Uh, well, there are no awards for most tenacious animals.

They can survive, breed, and they were pretty damn successful in their ecosystems, generally before humans didn't start their creepy apish experiments. :smallwink:

Humble Master
2013-07-05, 09:44 AM

Apparently these f***ers can bite down with 3,000 PSI to boot (adult human bite is 150 PSI). I am never touching a horse's head again.Wow, that's pretty impressive. I generally don't think of herbivores having exceptionally strong bites. Also the whole can't open their jaws until fully closed thing is interesting. I wonder why they evolved that?

Lapak
2013-07-05, 11:39 AM
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I generally don't think of herbivores having exceptionally strong bites. Also the whole can't open their jaws until fully closed thing is interesting. I wonder why they evolved that?While their teeth tend to be blunter, the stuff herbivores have to chew on tends to be pretty tough vs. flesh in pound-for-pound terms. Actually, that's WHY their teeth are blunter; digesting whole chunks of plant in the gut is metabolically much more difficult than digesting mashed-up-plant paste - you need blunt teeth, brutal jaw strength, and effective saliva to get the best use of most plant life. Carnivores can rip off chunks of meat and bolt it down; herbivores do a good bit of their digesting on the front end and chew chew chew all day long. Long story short: don't get bitten by herbivores.

unseenmage
2013-07-05, 12:57 PM
Long story short: don't get bitten by herbivores.

Amen.

Additionally, carnivore bites will cut your flesh like scissors leaving a "clean" cut ready for stitching.

Herbivore bites (from the back teeth at least) will crush and pull your flesh apart leaving a tear which isn't nearly as easy to stitch.

Ravens_cry
2013-07-05, 01:10 PM
Yeah, horses bite. And not just to chew, they also use them in dominance battles or just plain old mean minded aggression. That's one reason we don't ride zebras. Thy tend to get awful mean and bitey as they get older.

Snails
2013-07-05, 01:47 PM
Trained for war seems to give an animal proficiency with all barding -- that is the equivalent of 3 feats (Light Armor Proficients , Medium Armor, Heavy).

I thought zombie people who scary enough. Now I am going to have nightmares about being nawed to death by zombie ponies! (No pun intended.) :smalleek:

Barsoom
2013-07-05, 01:58 PM
Want to hear something even scarier?

•Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing
If you want an undead pony proficient with heavy barding, you only need to describe one.

And here's the kicker:

Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
An undead pony proficient with a shield is a sight to behold!

unseenmage
2013-07-05, 02:56 PM
And here's the kicker:
Quote:
Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
An undead pony proficient with a shield is a sight to behold!

That is actually pretty cool, and a decent use for the Animated shield property. Though I'm not sure how the undead pony would "on command" the shield to activate.

Humble Master
2013-07-05, 04:03 PM
Well it would all depend on how the command was given. If it's a shield mad specifically for a creature incapable of speaking then perhaps a simple grunt would do.