PDA

View Full Version : Exploration of Gaming Styles through a Dragon's Eyes

RollynT.Glal
2013-07-04, 10:39 PM
I am currently entertaining the idea of making a game where the players play as dragons from wyrmlings to great wyrms. Over the course of the game I'm hoping to showcase different styles of gaming based on the amount of influence the dragons are able to exert on the world around them. The first few age categories will likely be a normal pen and paper RPG type game. 3.5 can facilitate dragons up to ECL 20 so that could work.
As the dragons grow in power and size they have larger spheres of influence. After the initial RPG the could be more focused on lair defense and hoard attainment, with more of an strategy game feel.
Eventually I'm hoping that the dragons would get old enough that they begin to run cities, regions and maybe even entire countries and if it has not become so already the players turn on each other seeing only the other dragons as threats to their all-encompassing power. So the final stage would almost be on a sort of Risk level war gaming where players send armies against their neighbors.

As you might be able to tell I'm not quite solid on the specifics yet. Here are just a few idea's I'm considering and would like the playground's opinion on:

Character creation could be a personality test to see what kind of dragon their character is most like. I'd like to get three options for each player then have them choose which one they'd best like to play.
In addition to their dragon hit dice the players can take 1 class level at Wyrmling, Very Young and Young stages,
2 class levels at Juvenile, Young Adult, and Adult stages,
3 class levels at Mature Adult, Old and Very Old stages,
4 class levels at Ancient, Wyrm and Great Wyrm stages for a total potential of 30 class levels
A sort of "Sphere of Influence" statistic will be a very important part of the game and will determine how much territory a dragon can claim
While age will be A factor in determining "Sphere of Influence" it will by no means be the only

So does anybody have any ideas they'd like to put forward?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-04, 11:01 PM
Two things to consider off he top of my head -

Have you read MM5? If so, perhaps you should consider applying the xorvintaal template to all characters when they reach the proper age.

What are you going to do about the fact that some dragons are intrinsically more powerful than others? There might only be a minor difference in power as Wyrmlings, but by the time that they're reaching maturity, there's going to be pronounced differences.