PDA

View Full Version : Losing a Feat to Lower LA

Yogibear41
2013-07-04, 11:34 PM
Would giving up the normal feat gained at level 1 be enough to lower a LA from +2 to +1 or from +1 to +0?

Would gaining a free feat be enough to raise a LA from +0 to +1 or from +1 to +2? (for the sake of balancing it vs. something with a similar LA)

What about in an e6 world where in the long run feats are easier to get?

Zanos
2013-07-04, 11:36 PM
What a feat is worth and what an LA is worth depends considerably on what the feat is and what the LA is from. According to WotC +1 to hit with one weapon type and the ability to spontaneously cast Int mod spells per day as a wizard are both worth a feat.

On the LA side, you have things like Half-Minotaur and Mineral Warrior at one end which are amazing for +1 LA and stuff like Lich at the other which are horrible for +4.

In general, I'd say that +1 LA is more powerful than a feat, but this varies widely depending on what is involved.

Yogibear41
2013-07-05, 12:04 AM
Looking to bring a few races into line with each other for e6 use,

3.0 Artic Dwarf http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/iw/iw20030216a

Duergars
Killoren
Half-giants (already have some tweaks planned for them)
and pretty much the Frostfell versions of the races from the PHB for an e6 game

I posted a question like this in the homebrew section, but I haven't gotten any kind of reply to It So I thought I would try my luck on this forum instead. The post in the homebrew has a bit more information on it but I summed up the gist of it on this one.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290833

Link to other thread for your convenyance.

Flickerdart
2013-07-05, 12:08 AM
Given how LA in E6 works, 1 LA is 7 PB. Would I spend a feat on +7 PB in a case where feats are worth less? Every time.

Yogibear41
2013-07-05, 11:47 AM
Well I plan on using an absurd point buy like, 52 points instead of normal.

But honestly I would rather just buff the other races when it comes down to it than nerf the ones with higher LA.

Another question that needs to be asked is do artic dwarves really deserve a +2 la, when compared to regular dwarves they have all the same abilities except

+4 str, -2 dex, small size, and immunity to cold added on top of the dwarfs existing abilities.