PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Dwarven Boulder

marcielle
2013-07-05, 07:50 AM
Helmet, to be precise. The dwarven boulder helmet seems like a weapon, correct me if I'm wrong, that is wielded by wearing it on the head. Would this allow you to say... TWF with it and a one handed weapon while wielding a heavy shield? If so, Dwarf may have just become a contender for TWF builds.
The other explanation is that one takes it OFF their head and THEN bashes people with it, but then why make it a helmet in the first place...

BWR
2013-07-05, 08:15 AM
Yes, it's meant for headbutting.

marcielle
2013-07-05, 11:46 AM
Which would be better, TWF-wise, wielding a helmet, shield and 1 handed weapon or helmet and 2 handed weapon?

NamelessNPC
2013-07-05, 01:06 PM
I didn't do the numbers, but at first sight two handed weapond and boulder seems better.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-05, 01:12 PM
Is the boulder helmet considered a light weapon or a "one-handed" weapon.

grarrrg
2013-07-05, 01:56 PM
Is the boulder helmet considered a light weapon or a "one-handed" weapon.

It is a Light Exotic Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/helmet-dwarven-boulder) (Dwaves have a trait to treat "dwarf" named weapons as martial).

It only does 1d4 damage with a basic 20/x2 Critical, so as a straight up "weapon" it fails pretty hard.
The main draw is the whole "doesn't use a hand" thing (it also gives +2 AC vs. Crit Confirms).

As far as TWF options go, I'd probably just pair it up with a 2-Handed and be done (well... _I_, personally, would be more inclined to pair it up with 2 Claw attacks, and a Beard attack but...).

TWF with it AND a Shield can also be a solid option.

But note, by RAW you can NOT use it to "three-weapon fight".
The rules support Two-Weapon fighting, and if you have three (or more arms) you can Multi-weapon fight.
As-is you cannot 'three-weapon fight'.

BWR
2013-07-05, 04:04 PM
Does it enchant as a weapon or as armor?

grarrrg
2013-07-05, 05:10 PM
Does it enchant as a weapon or as armor?

Let's follow that link I gave last time and find out:
"A dwarven boulder helmet can be enchanted as a weapon (not as armor, despite providing some protection)."

BWR
2013-07-05, 05:35 PM
Teach me to read more carefully. Managed to overlook that bit.

marcielle
2013-07-05, 08:29 PM
The main draw is the whole "doesn't use a hand" thing (it also gives +2 AC vs. Crit Confirms).
Actually, the main draw is that you get to headbutt things mightily:D

Also, is there actually a good beard attack? I looked at all I could find and they actually manage to be statistically worse than the boulder helm.

grarrrg
2013-07-05, 11:19 PM
Also, is there actually a good beard attack?

Yes.
And no.
And...maybe.

White-Haired Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/white-haired-witch) gives you a 'Hair' Primary Natural Attack (which can be made of any hair, ergo > beard).

It is one of the main ingredients in my NAKED BEARD WRESTLING, HEADBUTTING, SHARPENED FINGERNAILS SURLY DWARF OF DOOM!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15414756) build.

The Hair attack is rather 'meh' as an attack (mainly due to being an INT based attack, which makes it tricky to optimize properly, and the fact you need a level of Witch, which is only 1/2 Bab), but it's a very reliable way for ANYONE (any race) to gain an extra Natural Attack (follow the link to the build(s) for more in depth explanation).

CTrees
2013-07-06, 08:08 AM
There's also the barbazu beard, another (terrible) exotic light weapon: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/barbazu-beard

marcielle
2013-07-06, 11:58 AM
That...thingy...It's kinda the opposite of good...

ArqArturo
2013-07-06, 12:01 PM
Huh, I thought this thread was about making a dwarf into a boulder :p .

I have a recipe for that, but it involves a Dwarf Barbarian, a wizard, a cleric, a catapult, and a pair of nail clippers.

grarrrg
2013-07-06, 01:23 PM
There's also the barbazu beard, another (terrible) exotic light weapon: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/barbazu-beard

Yeah...the only straight advantage over the Boulder Helm is that it weighs half as much.
And, sadly, it seems you cannot use the Beard AND the Boulder Helm at the same time:
"A barbazu beard is an intimidating helm with a full facemask".
So they'd both use the 'head' slot.

I'll stick with my Witch dipping thank you.

Huh, I thought this thread was about making a dwarf into a boulder :p .

I have a recipe for that, but it involves a Dwarf Barbarian, a wizard, a cleric, a catapult, and a pair of nail clippers.

But where will you get the weasel and 15 gallons of maple syrup?

ArqArturo
2013-07-06, 01:55 PM
But where will you get the weasel and 15 gallons of maple syrup?

Lol, it's actually a lot easier than you think.

Step 1.- Put the Dwarf in the catapult
Step 2.- Buff the crap out of the dwarf
Step 3.- With the clippers, trim the beard (this'll make him angry)
Step 4.- Throw the dwarf at the enemy/fortress/object of annoyance of the party
Step 5.- Profit

:smallbiggrin:

Crustypeanut
2013-07-06, 02:00 PM
I actually had a build where my dwarf used a Boulder Helmet in concert with a Longhammer - He was built for fighting Giants mainly. His boulder-helmet he'd use on anything that got within 5 feet, and was good at bullrushing with it as well.

Eventually, he'd bullrush anyone within 5 feet and make them provoke an AoO, causing him to smash them with his hammer.

So he was good at fighting non-giants and giants.

CTrees
2013-07-06, 03:33 PM
That...thingy...It's kinda the opposite of good...

Agreed. It's a strong contender for "worst weapon in Pathfinder," and possibly D&D in general.

marcielle
2013-07-07, 12:59 AM
I actually had a build where my dwarf used a Boulder Helmet in concert with a Longhammer - He was built for fighting Giants mainly. His boulder-helmet he'd use on anything that got within 5 feet, and was good at bullrushing with it as well.
I'm doing more or less the same thing, but with a Dorn Dergar. This Dwarf is going to be a giant spinning hazard zone.

grarrrg
2013-07-07, 06:43 PM

I'm doing more or less the same thing, but with a Dorn Dergar. This Dwarf is going to be a giant spinning hazard zone.

The Boulder Helm is also a great option for Archers.
If enemy at range: Shoot arrows.
If enemy up close (and retreating isn't a great option): Headbutt.