PDA

View Full Version : Grenade-Like weapons user?

HeyThereImBear
2013-07-05, 11:30 AM
A friend of mine is starting a campaign here within the next few weeks, and while I have a great concept for a character, I can't seem to figure out how to do it. The startling level is 20 (possibly 21st), and flaws/templates/gestalt is all allowed. Sources can be anything that is, or works with, d&d 3.5e

I'm trying to make a character that fights at a range using grenade-like weapons (GTW's from now on) . I want the character to be an "alchemist", which is why the weapon type is so specific. I don't know if there's a class already out there that focuses specifically on these kinds of weapons, but if there isn't, I'd be interested in making something that could focus on GTW's.

I don't really think that backstories or character descriptions are important to deciding the class at this point in development.

Oh, and my apologies if this post is just babble or something. I'm a long time lurker, but first time poster here.

ArcaneGlyph
2013-07-05, 11:39 AM
I know in PHB 2 there is a feat for throwing them, Called Mad Alchemist. In the Forgotten Realms books there is a Gnome Alchemist PRC if I recall.. cannot however recall which book or the exact name. Maester or Maestro maybe?

In the past I have looked at making one, but I found the save DCs much like poisons, petered out, it also makes you very cash dependent and involves a lot of down time to craft.

Bling Cat
2013-07-05, 11:42 AM
The Advanced Player's Guide for Pathfinder has literally the class you seek. The Alchemist functions around making potions and bombs, the latter that he then throws at enemies. If you can get your hands on it, this seems to be what you're looking for.

HeyThereImBear
2013-07-05, 11:44 AM
hm... I'll look into that feat.

And when it comes to cash and crafting times, I'm not too concerned. I've never made a character that doesn't have somewhere in the multiple millions gold wise (by level 25-ish), and with the group I play with, at least one of the party usually has an inter-dementional pocket or something, that I could put a lab in.

If it simply can't be done effectively (The campaign is going to be going to ecl 100, so I need something that will work long-term), then it can't, and I'll have to go back to building ridiculously overpowered rogues and wizards, but if it can be, I'd like to figure out how.

HeyThereImBear
2013-07-05, 11:46 AM
The Advanced Player's Guide for Pathfinder has literally the class you seek. The Alchemist functions around making potions and bombs, the latter that he then throws at enemies. If you can get your hands on it, this seems to be what you're looking for.

Seriously? How in the nine did I miss that?

I'll look into that. Thank you!

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-07-05, 11:46 AM
There are two ways to accomplish this, either adapt the Alchemist from pathfinder over, or make a class character combo to use such types of weapons. I once made a build like this, using a combination of alchemical items and spells that duplicated bombs. The best classes for this are:
-artificer
-wizard
-psion

Even if he is experienced, the first class would be hard to use for this. However, I suggest these types of items, feats, and spells:
Spells: Gembomb, Major/Minor Creation+Fabricate (create alchemical substances)
Items: Ditherbomb (Races of Dragon), DMG optional rules for grenades and explosives
Feats: Item creation, Grenadier, Mad Alchemist.

There are various types of explosive weapons throughout books. Ditherbombs are one of the strongest.

I also suggest crafting a self-reseting trap-like dispenser that uses Major Creation. DMG2 has rules for spell turrets, and DMG has rules for traps. Either work for an infinite supply of alchemical bombs.

Good luck. Either way, using the Alchemist or another class could benefit from these.

HeyThereImBear
2013-07-05, 11:50 AM
There are two ways to accomplish this, either adapt the Alchemist from pathfinder over, or make a class character combo to use such types of weapons. I once made a build like this, using a combination of alchemical items and spells that duplicated bombs. The best classes for this are:
-artificer
-wizard
-psion

Even if he is experienced, the first class would be hard to use for this. However, I suggest these types of items, feats, and spells:
Spells: Gembomb, Major/Minor Creation+Fabricate (create alchemical substances)
Items: Ditherbomb (Races of Dragon), DMG optional rules for grenades and explosives
Feats: Item creation, Grenadier, Mad Alchemist.

There are various types of explosive weapons throughout books. Ditherbombs are one of the strongest.

I also suggest crafting a self-reseting trap-like dispenser that uses Major Creation. DMG2 has rules for spell turrets, and DMG has rules for traps. Either work for an infinite supply of alchemical bombs.

Good luck. Either way, using the Alchemist or another class could benefit from these.

Infinite alchemical bombs are always good. Thanks man!

Darrin
2013-07-05, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to make a character that fights at a range using grenade-like weapons (GTW's from now on) . I want the character to be an "alchemist", which is why the weapon type is so specific. I don't know if there's a class already out there that focuses specifically on these kinds of weapons, but if there isn't, I'd be interested in making something that could focus on GTW's.

Sources available?

I'd probably start with:

Whisper Gnome
Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17
Feats:
1) Craven
3) Rapid Reload (refluffed to work with slings)
6) Daring Outlaw
9) Martial Study: Cloak of Deception
12) Planar Touchstone: Oxyrhynchus (extra attack if target is denied Dex)
15) Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium)
18) Martial Study: Assassin's Stance

Use the Weapon Familiarity rules in Complete Warrior (p. 154) to swich your martial proficiency with the gnome hooked hammer to the gnome calculus (A&EG p. 6).

On the other side, do something with Ranger X/Fighter Y to fill up on ranged/fighter bonus feats. You need: Quickdraw, PB Shot, Grenadier, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, and maybe Far Shot. Manyshot doesn't really help you, but it is a prereq for Improved Rapid Shot, which is definitely squee-worthy. Consider taking Weapon Focus: Gnome Calculus and dipping into Exotic Weapon Master 1 for the Close-Quarters Ranged Combat stunt. Once you've got all the Fighter Bonus feats you need, consider going into Peerless Archer (Silver Marches) for more ranged sneak attack and Power Shot.

Aside from the archery combat style, Ranger does several other things for you: qualifies you to put ranks in Craft: Alchemy so you can make your own alchemical ammo, swap your animal companion for Distracting Attack (PHBII ACF, flank at range so you get sneak attack damage every other attack that hits), and access to spells such as sniper's shot (Spell Compendium), instant of power (Forge of War), and hunter's mercy (PHBII).

Your biggest headache will probably be getting sneak attack to work beyond 30'. If you can, beg/plead/blackmail your DM to allow Crossbow Sniper to work with the Aptitude property (Tome of Battle), so your gnome calculus can sneak attack things up to 60'. Otherwise, Wand Chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) + wand of sniper's shot is probably your best bet to get sneak attack at any range. (Actually, crit-immune creatures will probably be an even bigger headache... and Daring Outlaw has nothing like Swift Hunter's exception for precision damage on favored enemies. Buy lots of Deathstrike Bracers, and beg/plead/blackmail your DM to allow immediate activation instead of swift).

Jett Midknight
2013-07-06, 07:13 AM
I'm just going to leave this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) here.