PDA

View Full Version : incorporeal madness!!!

visigani
2013-07-05, 12:00 PM
Perhaps someone here can help. Are incorporeal creatures able to get poisoned? Diseased? Do they age? Are they otherwise immortal

buttcyst
2013-07-05, 12:18 PM
incorporeals, bodyless minds iirc, most are undead, others are ably to assume an incorporeal form as an SnA/ExA/SLA. I think you would have to look at individual descriptions to see any specific immunities, even still, there are ways around those. maybe if you were to give a little more detail I could be more helpful

visigani
2013-07-05, 12:19 PM
Unbodied from xph

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-05, 12:23 PM
Incorporeal does just what it says it does. No more, no less. If an attack treats an incorporeal creature as solid for purposing of hitting, then it can deliver a poison based on contact or injury (as clearly hitting something and dealing damage constitutes contact and injury). If there is miss chance, an attack that misses can't deliver poison.

I see no reason to think that an incorporeal creature breathes, as they are only able interact with material objects in described ways. I would judge atmosphere or gases to be material objects (they clearly aren't incorporeal).

In no way does being incorporeal stop a creature from aging. Time still passes, even for the incorporeal.

HalfQuart
2013-07-05, 05:31 PM
There are two full pages on Incorporeality in the Rules Compendium (pages 64-65). I just did a quick skim, but indeed you can't eat, drink, or breathe. I didn't see anything about poison or disease specifically, but I don't think they'd work since they would generally rely on damaging a physical body, which doesn't exist.

The Glossary (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_poison&alpha=) says that "creatures without metabolisms (such as elementals) are always immune to poison." -- I think that would apply to incorporeal creatures too.

BWR
2013-07-05, 05:38 PM
This is a case where even if RAW doesn't exempt them from disease and poison (don't know if it does or not), anyone with half a brain would agree that if you don't have a body you can't be affected by things that affect bodies.

If you have magical diseases or venom that specifically targets incorporeals, on the other hand...

TuggyNE
2013-07-05, 08:16 PM
This is a case where even if RAW doesn't exempt them from disease and poison (don't know if it does or not), anyone with half a brain would agree that if you don't have a body you can't be affected by things that affect bodies.

Sort of? Incorporeality, so far as I know, is not defined in such a way as to exclude constructs, even though constructs are just lumps of "unliving matter". So while common sense would suggest it probably shouldn't work, RAW is consistently counter-intuitive on this.