PDA

View Full Version : Fool's Gold

Frog Dragon
2013-07-05, 12:18 PM
Goldwater Harbor

Set at the mouth of the Golden river, the harbor is hardly a bustle at this early hour. Several wooden piers extend into the mouth of the river, and the vessels docked there seem to get smaller the further away one gets from the sea. Closer to the sea, a dozen large trading vessels sit at port, one of them your and Ralon's transport.

Walking past fishmarkets that have not yet awakened, the former mayor and his elderly mother in tow, the carracks in the port soon begin to loom over you. The Breakprow, named for the numerous times it was damaged by unworthy captains. Still, the ship floats by its pier, and none of the damage can be seen.

"We do know these sailors are trustworthy, right?" Ralon, the black-haired thirty-something man in a hunter's coat says. "They came a day ago from Maurenbirg," his mother, Ilaca, interjects. "No-one could've gotten to them."

You reach the pier, and you can see that a gangplank has been lowered to admit you in, though you do not yet see anyone on the deck.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-05, 12:29 PM
Ulhar stops only for a moment to listen [roll0] listen check to his surroundings feeling a little on the edge but not showing it. "We better get a move on... we wouldnt like anyone to see us now would we?". He gets up to the ship first to check it staying alert to any danger.

Stormageddon
2013-07-05, 01:10 PM
Olaf didn't like this job. Hanging around the rich and powerful almost always leads to trouble. Being around the rich and power whom were nervous; troubles certain. Oh well the moneys good, Tuone loses!

His hunter scent kicks in trying to scent out the sailors on this ship.

Olaf strokes Octan seeing that his loyal companion was responding to Olaf's troubled mind. Olaf removes his bow from his back and gets ready for trouble.

Well here we go again, eh Octan.

Octan relaxes at his master's familar voice.

Hazuki
2013-07-05, 01:29 PM
Erin greeted the early morning with a smile on her face, as befitting somebody who had woken up to greet the sun for every day of her life, though this particular time was far less stressful. A simple stroll along the port with two of her friends in tow, to greet a new job and fully equipped for whatever troubles seafaring might trouble her with. Bearing her armor may not have been the best decision for sitting on a ship, but she was a strong enough swimmer, and her armor light enough, to not be too encumbered by it were the worst to happen. And she always had Barton to lend her a helping hand, though he wouldn't be much use in a fight, if pirates, a far more likely danger, were to appear.

With only the sound of their footfalls, the trio of people arrive at the pier and look on at the Breakprow with the slightest frowns on their faces. Nobody aboard did not bode well, especially when nights often brought thieves, and any intelligent Captain would know such. At least a few fellow members of the contract were already present to greet her. Just in case, she unstrapped the polearm from her back and used it as a walking stick, much like a noble guard would, as she approached them.

"What seems to be the trouble?" Erin asked with a raised eyebrow and a slight gesture to the empty ship, as Barton and Tissar stood on the pier's edge, looking into it. They preferred to keep their nose out of Erin's business, for the most part, and didn't really have the guts to spend a problem-solving discussion with the dangerous types Erin's fellow contracted guards seemed to be.

Erin
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Barton
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]

Tissar
Spot: [roll4]
Listen: [roll5]

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-05, 08:43 PM
Magellan was wary of the other mercenaries. There were more than he expected. Could be a trap. Two of them appeared to be with the young Lady. Bondsmen, he expected. Not likely to cause trouble. The orc and gnoll were a surprise as well. And they all had brought armor for the job. And their weapons were so fancy, so exotic.

Magellan suddenly felt very naked.

Clearly these people were very rich. But even to keep up with them, he didn't dare sell any more of his loot. Couldn't risk calling attention to himself in that way. No, best he just get on that boat and get as far away as possible.

He stood a little taller and glanced at the others. Some of them were already climbing up onto the ship. He noticed there didn't seem to be any other crew.

"I hope they don't expect us to man the ship," he said quietly. "I don't know the first thing about boats."

He took a last look around the docks before ascending the gangplank, to assure himself no one official looking was looking for him.

Search check: [roll0]
Spot check: [roll1]
Listen check: [roll2]

Frog Dragon
2013-07-06, 07:17 AM
The Breakprow

Walking up the gangplank, you find yourself standing on the main deck, almost at the widest part, perhaps 30ft wide. The main mast sits at the center of the ship, and extending from it, a quarterdeck covers the main deck on the rear half of the ship. There are no stairs, but wide openings in the floors, making space for ladders. A door and a wall separate the forecastle in the front end from the main deck, leaving the part open to the elements only slightly more than 30ft long. The two smaller masts jut out from the centers of the forecastle and the quarterdeck, though no sails have been hoisted yet.

You need not stand around for long. A figure climbs up the ladder under the quarterdeck. Though partially obscured by the shadow under the quarterdeck and the lack of light in this early hour, you see the man clearly clearly as he steps up from under the quarterdeck. Wearing baggy beige pants and a black vest over a white undershirt, the man looks middle-aged, around the same as Ralon. Though his hair is mostly hidden under his tricorne hat, he has a neatly trimmed brown beard. Seeing the guests on his deck, he takes a bow.

"I apologize for the wait," he says, stretching upright again. "We had to finish packing our food supplies. The fools who were supposed to do it left to drink and did not return." He walks up, and picks the most leader-like person to shake hands with, that being Erin. "Anyway, I forget myself. I am Johan, captain of this humble vessel, and I assure you, I am better than the ones who gave this ship its name. You must be the guests we were to bring to Reidenbirg."

Your listen and spot checks do not detect anything unusual.

Hazuki
2013-07-06, 09:03 AM
Some measure of calm washed over Erin at the sight of the neatly-trimmed man emerging from the quarterdeck, though she made no sudden movements as he approached. The fact that supposed Captain took care of himself at least made her feel more certain that his status was, in fact, earned, or perhaps he was just more cunning than the majority of potential criminals it was possible to meet on a boat. But she didn't allow her reservations to show; they were largely based on her own worries for the ship, and the man had done little, so far, to make those suspicions grow.

"Indeed we are, my friend," Erin responded to the offered hand with a firm, jaunty handshake and a pleasant smile plastered across her lips. "You may call me Erin, and I am no stranger to the dealings of layabouts, isn't that right, you two?" She asked with a grin sent to Tissar and Barton, before meeting Johan's gaze again. "I have no doubt that you'll be a fine Captain indeed; pray, let us speak more of your skills after everyone has been introduced! These two are Barton and Tissar, my long-suffering bondsmen" She said, gesturing to said two, who found themselves a nice spot to lean against the edge of the ship, while Tissar in particular stared up at the crow's nest. "And I'm certain my companions will be eager to introduce themselves, rather than letting me do so." Turning on her heel, she stood to the side of Johan and gestured to the others she arrived with. "Take it away, my mercenary mates."

Taking 10 on a Rushed Diplomacy check, for a result of 30.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-06, 09:19 AM
"My name is Ulhar Thorin". Ulhar makes a quick stop before going on."They didn't come back you say? Does that happen often? Did you have to hire others to help with the packing"? Ulhar tries not to be impolite but as a person he doesn’t like coincidences and he is a little edgy.

Stormageddon
2013-07-06, 10:35 AM
This man's words and actions aren't logical. His men... ALL of his men went out drinking, and did not return on time!? And he's just just sitting here on his deck waiting?! Not searching through the local watering holes and whore houses. Cracking heads getting people's asses in line?! He must be a terrible captain...

My name is Olaf. And Maybe if you were a captain you wouldn't be making us wait.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-06, 11:40 AM
Magellan waits quietly while the others speak first, as he was taught to do when in the company of highborns.

He was as impatient to set off as Olaf seemed to be, but he didn't feel comfortable speaking freely around these people. Even the captain was well dressed and neatly trimmed. He might've even bathed that day, by the look of him. He hadn't declared any house affiliation, but you could sort of tell by looking at him. The hat, especially. Yeah, this guy is upper crust all the way, Magellan thought.

He could sympathize with the men who'd gone off drinking. Hell, he could go for one himself, just to cool his nerves some.

"Hawthorne," he says, averting his eyes from the others. "Er, Magellan." He coughed as unobtrusively as possible before continuing, slightly more confident, since it was a basic formality; it was supposed to go according to a formula, after all. "Thank you, milord, for allowing us onto your fine ship. And also, uh, for meeting us personally; we know you are very busy and many things, um, need your attention. So ... um ... thank you, milord."

Frog Dragon
2013-07-06, 06:07 PM
I am Ralon. The man in the hunting coat says, seeming like he intends to continue, but keeping quiet. His mother speaks. "And I am Ilaca." The captain raises an eyebrow, but nods, turning to Olaf. "Mr. Olaf. You may be guests here, but I will not have my professionalism impugned on my own ship, are we clear?" He straightens his posture, seeming slightly taller, though still nowhere near the height of the gnoll he is addressing. He turns to Ulhar. "Occasionally. They were new hires from our last stay at port, and those are always the least trustworthy ones. However, they did not steal anything and I do not have time to go searching for them. They've been replaced." He takes a breath before continuing. "And I do hope your bondsmen do not prove layabouts, lady Erin," the captain says, smiling as he hears the "no, captain" from the two, as if from one mouth.
"And no need to call me 'lord'," he says, finally turning to Magellan. "I am captain to my crew, and simply Johan to my guests."

Finally, he turns back towards the quarterdeck, apparently near perfectly estimating when his crew would be done with whatever they were arranging belowdecks. One of his sailors climbs up, saluting, then another. "Hoist the sails," Johan says. "We're leaving. Gustaf, you have the helm." He then turns back to you. "I shall show you to your quarters." He says, walking back to the ladder after the eleventh sailor has climbed up.

Stormageddon
2013-07-07, 02:11 AM
Olaf eyes and nods to Johan with approval at his answer. It is good for a man to put those that question his leadership abilities in their place. A professional after all!

As he follows Johan down to the guest cabins; he turns his attention his cohorts on this job. A Orc! Good Olaf instantly like the orc, he looks more than able to use that ax at his side. Good.

What was the human males name again? Hawthorne? Yes, yes that was it. A man shouldn't talk so quietly. But proud and bold in his attend. Hopeful he is not meek in combat as he is in word.

The female, Erin, is a puzzle talks with pretty words, but looks at home carrying that Glaive. Who were these men that took orders from her who are now gawking stupidly at the mast like fools. She called them her bondsmen? Maybe like her slaves?

Anyway he was going to have to learn about these men and woman's strength if trouble found them as it surely would.

to the Group.

I'm Olaf and this is Octan pointing to the wolf. It looks as if we are to work together on this job. Hopefully Tuone will not call you home before your time. He turns to Erin. Are your slaves worth a damn in combat?

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-07, 04:17 AM
Ulhar nods towards the captain as if agreeing with what he said. He just couldn’t get off his mind that the new recruits could cause trouble... again he might be a little paranoid on the matter and if worse comes to worse he was pretty sure he could handle a direct confrontation. He allowed himself a moment to relax and turned his attention to his comrades.

Hawthome was shy much more than him ... but something in his posture seemed to indicate that there were more to him. He could get along with him really well.

Now Olaf on the other hand he couldn’t really tell he seemed rude to the captain but as soon as the captain stood up to him he showed respect, he would have to see with that one.

Lastly but not least was Erin. She had a way with words and she was used to authority but on the other hand she was not aloof and her eyes were kind not to mention she was perhaps the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

As a whole the group seemed well up to the task. Let’s just hope there won’t be any surprises thought Ulhar as he turned to follow the captain.

Hazuki
2013-07-07, 08:35 AM
Despite the slight bumpiness in the Captain's introduction to the other mercenaries, Erin can't help but be pleased with it how it goes; nobody tries to stab anybody or makes an egregious faux pas, which is perhaps the most she can expect from somebody not trained in etiquette. Etiquette could be quite silly, at times, anyway. She barely managed to glance at Ilaca and Ralon before they're lead to their quarters on the ship, though she is quite impressed by the Captain's timing in predicting when his crew would leave; perhaps it was rehearsed. It wouldn't surprise her, especially if his methods of keeping clean are any sign of his heritage, as Nobles are prone to frivolous displays to impress others. All part of the game, of course, for those vying for power, and she was all the more glad that nobody saw Palehills as a threat, because they wouldn't have to get involved in it.

With her glaive still in hand, it being far too cumbersome to strap across her back while inside without either having it hit her in the back of her legs or scrape along the ceiling, she follows Captain Johan with a small smile still on her lips, and Tissar and Barton on her tail. She's sure that the former would like to climb up the mast and get a good look around, and the latter would rather be chatting with the sailors than spending time around the mercenaries, and she reassures them that they'll get time to themselves as soon as the social protocols are finished.

"Thank you, Captain Johan, for showing us to our quarters. Might I inquire as to the timetable on this vessel? I'd loathe to show up to dinner late; and I'm sure you have some wondrous tales to tell!" Erin says to the man, waiting for some response before turning to face her companions, few of which she'd had a chance to really look over. Olaf, of course, is a familiar sight from growing up in Angerland, even if he isn't the most pleasant person she's ever met. At his question, she shakes her head with a soft, pleasant laugh. "Barton and Tissar are my friends, Olaf, I assure you. Neither of them are very fit for combat, but they have their own skills, don't you, boys?"

Tissar, small and scraggly, clearly wasn't born in any kind of noble society, and what efforts have been made to affect his attire and look are token at best. Still, his hair and body are clean, which is good enough for most. "I just tend to look around; get to know things." The halfling modestly states, nervously rubbing his neck in the confined space of their quarters.

Barton seems slightly more at ease, and his attire seems practical and well-made, if not made out of any particularly fantastic materials. His hair is cropped short, saving him some time in cleaning himself, and he clearly keeps himself in good health, even if his face is that more suited to spending time with the common man. "And I'm more at home with the common folk; never underestimate a good rumor, I say." He offers with a slightly lopsided grin.

"But, I'm sure that they'd be willing to help us if they're around and have a weapon handy; our resources are largely limited, unfortunately, but I'm sure we'll manage to pick some up if we're woken up in the night by the boots and yells of pirates. Perhaps we'll get to see some of your and Octan's prowess!" She compliments, gesturing to the weapons that the Gnoll carries, and the burly wolf by his side.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-07, 10:52 AM
Magellan could see that the Captain seemed to have matters well in hand, as befit a lord. But then, of course, he said not to call him "lord." Magellan blushed and looked at his feet, muttering, "Cry yer pardon, m'lord. Er, Cap'n. Johan. Cry pardon." He follows the Captain silently, not making eye contact with anyone, as they are led down to their quarters.

Magellan was nervous surrounded by people who towered over him. The wolf was a more or less familiar sight, and it seemed well trained, but his real anxiety was due to the others. An orc and a gnoll... Gods, even the Lady Erin was a little taller than he was. He'd have to work hard to impress these people, that much was clear. They were intimidating, and wielded such fearsome weapons... All Magellan had was a mace and his pickaxe from the mines, and he didn't trust either as much as he did his bare hands. He almost found himself hoping for some kind of pirate attack, just so he could prove himself... but then dismissed the idea. What I really want is a quiet, uninterrupted trip, he told himself. As an afterthought, he added: And something to drink.

He listened to the others without daring to interrupt. The Lady's bondsmen seemed more Magellan's type; around these two, at least, he wouldn't have to feel so uncomfortable. Barton in particular reminded him of a friend back home, but thinking of that was painful. He couldn't go back there. He found himself annoyed with Barton already for making him feel that way, then angry with himself for getting unjustly bothered. It wasn't Barton's fault, obviously.

Deciding he should reach out to them, Magellan cleared his throat. "Hail, fellas," he said to Tissar and Barton, the formality of "hail" undercut somewhat by saying "fellas" instead of "fellows." "Well met."

Stormageddon
2013-07-07, 11:20 AM
Olaf listens to Tissar and Barton introduce themselves and then immediately dismiss them as being useless. Looking around? A good rumor? Blah! And "friends!?" These people thought Olaf a fool. Olaf had seen how causally Erin had ordered these men around. If Olaf had a friend he did not imagine that he would give orders or bring them into dangerous situations that they were not equipped to handle.

Maybe this woman thinks herself above her station with her pretty words and these men or part of her imagined harem. That's why they were not left behind. Olaf had heard of such things. But that was none of his business. This one would bear the most watching.

Indeed you might. The lords still look nervous and when the powerful get nervous it tends to be people like us that pay the price. He turns to Tissar with a sneer So do keep your eyes open least you lose your bet.

Hazuki
2013-07-07, 12:09 PM
Upon Olaf's confrontation with the halfling, Tissar and Barton immediately decided to take up Magellan on his offer of conversation, moving a bit further along the wall towards him, and away from the crude Gnoll. "Well met." Barton greeted the ex-miner in kind, with a smile, while Tissar just gave him a nod and a wave; he'd learned that it was best to let Barton do the talking when Erin wasn't available, as he apparently gave away too many things whenever he spoke. "Sorry if this is a bit nosy, but you seem a little on edge, friend." Barton commented, keeping his voice low so as not to disturb the others. "What seems to be troubling ya?"

Erin, meanwhile, had taken a measure of offense at Olaf's verbal assault of her friend and his implication that she was some form of manipulator who sent men to their deaths without a second thought. But, most of all, she would not stand for those accompanying her being threatened. "You know nothing of the decisions those in power make, Olaf, and you would do well not to question them. If you would spit on their name so easily, I would refer you to the fact that my progenitor was both a General and a victim of Angerland's invasion. He suffered for the death of every man that served under him; and those men were all loyal, whether soldiers or servants, because they were aware of the risks that their station brought and the man they followed into war. I am no different; Barton and Tissar are here by choice and out of respect for me and my goals, Regardless of whatever rights you may believe you have, know that you are wrong in this. And I will not stand for you harassing my friends, nor anyone else we come across in our travels, Ser. Not for one moment. Are we clear?" She finished her reprimand with no small amount of venom in her voice, punctuating her question by slamming the hilt of her glaive against the floor. Her eyes didn't leave Olaf's for even a single moment.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-07, 02:57 PM
While the Lady was putting Olaf in his place, Magellan's spoke quietly with Barton and Tissar. He sensed Barton was simply being polite. Rather than elaborate fully, Magellan decided to keep his answer brief.

Matching Barton's low tone, he said, "Left on bad terms, ye ken. Just want to put as much space 'tween me and home as I can. And it don't help that I ain't been to sea afore, neither."

Magellan was suddenly certain he'd talked too much, and stopped rather abruptly.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-07, 04:47 PM
Ulhar didn’t know how to react to the situation at hand... he wanted to smooth things over but how? God dammit they were supposed to guard the Ralon not fight among themselves. "Easy now lady Erin I am sure Olaf didn’t mean any offend... perhaps its a cultural difference... that’s all; right Olaf?" he got ready to put himself in between them should things get out of hand while holding an awkward smile

Hazuki
2013-07-07, 05:29 PM
"I come from a homeland of the Gnoll people. It is no cultural difference." Erin stated clearly to Ulhar, her eyes still not leaving Olaf's gaze. "And you need not get yourself involved; nothing good ever came from ignoring prominent issues, without resolving them properly. This an issue that will only come up again in the future, and in a potentially more hazardous environment. Solving it now is the only course of action that makes sense on a long-term basis, which this boat ride, and defending the Mayor, most definitely is."

Barton gave a nod in response to Magellan's brief explanation. "Fair 'nough. I'm not too happy about being on a ship, either. You never hear good stories about a ship cook, do ya?" He asked with a soft chuckle.

Stormageddon
2013-07-07, 11:07 PM
Olaf's body language relaxes, and he smiles. Good perhaps she's serious after all.

Excellent a captain should know when pretty words is not enough. If I am to fight long side someone, I need to know if they will stand up for those that they command. His head turns to Erin's men but he continues to talk to Erin. The point stand though; your men might be glad to have some weapons training should "looking" and "Rumors" fail them.

The thought of wiping these men who thought that "looking" and "Rumors" was useful into shape sent a thrill though him.

I'd be glad to snap them into shape, if you want? I hear halflings make decent archers.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-08, 07:39 AM
Magellan laughed politely at Barton's joke. But, unsurprisingly, he found himself unsure how to follow up the conversation (The truth was he hadn't heard any stories about shipboard chefs, bad or otherwise).

He scratched idly at his chin. Magellan found he was becoming more relaxed. A little, anyway. Then a little more when Olaf appeared to back down, lowering the overall tension in the room. The gnoll had clearly been sizing people up, he thought, testing to see who was strong on the team. Magellan sighed inwardly, expecting he would be tested soon, too.

"Watch out, fellas," he said to Barton and Tissar. "Yonder gnoll looks to be gunning for you next."

Frog Dragon
2013-07-08, 11:14 AM
"We usually eat a few hours after midday, but if the weather is hard, we adapt." Johan says, circling around the table and small fireplace in the floor of the lower deck. "And we don't all eat at once. Someone has to keep the ship running." He walks toward the front end of the lower deck, and one of the sailors moves out of his way. A portion of the front end has had a wooden wall put up, with a door. "It is not so rare to get distinguished company when one travels the Great Bay," he says, opening the door. Though it is not a large space by any measure, they have managed to fit six decently-sized beds in a manner that one can still walk beside them.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-08, 12:18 PM
Ulhar tries to be polite and cheerful "Aye captain this will do just fine."

Stormageddon
2013-07-09, 01:30 PM
Such luxury! Olaf eyes shine with the site of the bedroom. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

It will do very nicely. Thank you Captain.

Hazuki
2013-07-09, 04:56 PM
"Acquiring some weaponry is a possibility; but I would rather not spend all my remaining gold on such things. I would prefer if my friends avoided combat entirely, but it would not hurt to allow them to defend themselves if I am not readily available." Erin responds to the Gnoll before the Captain's speech reaches her ears and she gives a nod as she follows him further, to the beds along the walls. She does not much fancy the possibility of sleeping or bathing around mercenaries and sailors she barely knows, and decides that she will not be bathing until they reach port.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-09, 10:28 PM
Magellan waited quietly for the others to choose their beds. He eyeballed one in the far corner, though...

Meantime, it occurred to him that it might not be exactly proper for the Lady to sleep stuffed in a room with five men... 'S gonna make me more'n a mote uncomfortable, Magellan thought, so imagine what the Lady thinks.

His upbringing had taught him not only that there wouldn't be any, er, fraternizing, but that there simply couldn't be - it was categorically impossible. This he accepted as a simple truth, as he accepted that the sky was blue or that horses ran swiftly. But then, the close quarters were bound to take a psychological toll...

He told himself not to speak. The Captain was surely aware of the potential for awkwardness. And given the size of the room - aside from the bed, little more than standing room for each of them, it seemed - there wasn't likely to be any space elsewhere. Surely the Captain had already considered every alternative.

Then his gob flapped open anyway. "Uh, Lord Cap'n, if it's not so much trouble, I'd, uh ... hrm... it's just... it's, uh, tight quarters for the six of us, eh? Mightn't there be an, uh... you know, because..."

Smooth, he told himself.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-10, 04:08 AM
"You are free to take the hammocks on the deck like the crew, we have extras." Johan says. "You must understand, there is limited space that can be set away on a ship like this. In any case, I should get back to the quarterdeck. I shall be there if you need anything," he continues, turning away, back towards the ladder.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-10, 03:30 PM
Ulhar turns his attention towards his fellow bodyguards and as soon as the door closes proceeds to say. "I say we chose our bed and decide shifts. Let’s not relax just because we are in a ship. I don’t like the sudden disappearance of the sailors and the hiring of new ones... it might just be a coincidence but then again you never know. I pick the late middle shift. Now as for bed i would be fine with one close to the door".

Stormageddon
2013-07-10, 03:35 PM
A good point! Olaf hadn't thought of that possibility.

Maybe the threat of the new crew should be look into... and taken care of if it does exist. Olaf turns his eyes to Magellan. I'll take the grave shift.

With that he picks his bed and unloads his stuff.

Hazuki
2013-07-10, 03:56 PM
Erin moves to the bed farthest from the door and closest to the far wall, marking it with one of her scarves tossed over the pillow. With that finished, she turns to Tissar and Barton, having silently concurred with the ideas of her fellow bodyguards. "Barton, you are to speak with the sailors and try to find out what they know about the general dealings on the ship, or any ships they may have served on before, especially together. With any luck, they'll believe you're simply curious about the life of a sailor." She instructs the man with the shaved head, who gives her a joking bow and a smile.

"I'll get right on it, Erin." He says, before he departs the room itself by hoisting himself up the ladder after the Captain.

"Tissar, my lovable rogue, you are to search around the ship and any cargo it carries, especially. Hidden routes will also be very welcome, but I understand if you cannot stay in one place for too long. Try not to make yourself too much of a nuisance, and don't steal any of the food. I'm sure we can find fishing supplies, if necessary."

"I make no promises." Tissar said with his nose turned up, before scrambling up the ladder once Barton had finished his climb, already ruffling up his own hair now that he doesn't have to make a good first impression.

"As for me, I shall search this very room. Any of you are welcome to join me, as I think it's best we confirm a place wherein we can talk freely before discussing anything in true detail." Erin says to the other three mercenaries who would share the room with her, before beginning her close inspection.

Taking 20 on Spot, Listen, and Search all over the room, for anything out of the ordinary. The result for each is exactly twenty. She'll be rapping softly on surfaces for hollow spaces, opening containers and digging through their contents, and so on.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-10, 10:36 PM
After the Captain had left, the others began choosing beds and talking about choosing shifts. Magellan was suddenly certain he'd missed something vital.

"Er, shifts?" he said. "I mean, I don't, uh, want to be speaking out of turn here, but... what? I suppose ye are used to be needing to do take watch overnight, but... well, we're on a boat... it ain't like we'll be taken unawares by beasts in the night. If we are to take turns keeping watch, what exactly is there to watch out for?"

He paused for a moment, replaying what he's just said to make sure he hasn't misspoken.

"I mean, unless ye think we ought to worry about the crew," he continued slowly. "And ye did seem to be saying that. But I also think yer jumping to conclusions, saying they're a threat an all. I mean Lord Cap'n Johan told us what happened and why he needed to take on a new crew, and it's good enough for me."

Magellan, being lowborn, truly believed this. It was ingrained in his nature to trust the word of a lord or lady (and though the Captain had said he wasn't, Magellan still couldn't shake the notion).

He shifted his pack over his shoulder. "I don't mean any disrespect, ye ken. I just think we need to take this job for what it is - an easy one. That said, well... I think, uh ... if ye all say we ought to take shifts anyhow, well, I mean I'll do it. I'll even go first. I'm just, you know, saying I think ye're all worrying too much."

Stormageddon
2013-07-11, 10:44 AM
Inexperience! Magellan was either very green behind the ears or trying to act innocence.

A few years back I was guarding a merchant caravan. A easy job on a non dangerous road. A few of my fellow guards thought the same, until one night a guard thought he could make more money being a thief. Olaf draws one clawed figure across Magellan's throat Six men died that night. So we set watch, yes!? He finishes with a sneer.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-11, 11:57 AM
Ulhar tries to ease the atmosphere a little and smiling say "While there are stories like Olaf's most of the times you would be correct. It’s just that you have to be prepared for the worst case scenario even as you hope for the best, if you know what I mean. Besides we are getting paid to do a job so we have to do it right!" he turns to address Olaf "As for my unbased suspicion for the new sailors Olaf, I may well be wrong so let’s not take any initiate other than what Erin has already done." Turning to The mayor he states in a matter-of-fact fashion "Don’t worry you are in good hands."

Stormageddon
2013-07-11, 05:41 PM
Olaf grunts. Im going to get some sleep before my shift.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-11, 07:27 PM
"I hope so," Ralon says, sitting down on one of the beds. "Do we know who, other than Lady Erin's bondsmen, are these new crewmembers?" he asks. "Maybe we could just ask mister captain," Ilaca says, sitting down on the opposite bed.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-11, 08:49 PM
Olaf was much taller than Magellan. The crowded room suddenly seemed much tighter when the gnoll came close enough to threaten him.

Magellan had seen his share of fighting, albeit in bars with drunks instead of with huge nonhumans with (presumably) years of training. He knew what to do here. He stared directly into Olaf's eyes, his face stony and impassive, not flinching. He didn't break eye contact even when the claw traced its way across his neck.

You've seen the way he's sizing everyone up, he told himself calmly. Now's your only chance to not be cowed by him.

When Ulhar broke the tension, and Olaf had grunted and left, Magellan breathed again. He saw the sense in what they were saying, of course. He had just hoped there would be no need for such stringent measures. And Ulhar was right, too: no sense in doing the job half-assed.

He felt he'd spoken enough for the time being, however, and kept his mouth shut.

Hazuki
2013-07-12, 11:06 AM
Having found nothing in her thorough search of the room, Erin remains happy with the results and approaches the ladder, one hand on its edge while her other remains grasping her polearm. Just to see anyone coming down. "I'm afraid I have to side with Olaf on this one. I'm reasonably certain that the Captain is a good man, but nothing has ever been won by relaxing and taking things easy. It leads to stagnation and decadence; as does all life, left unchallenged." She has never been much for doom and gloom, and reminds herself not to let the dreariness of their current situation get to her.

"Still," She says with a smile directed towards Ralon and Ilaca. "It's no use sitting around in here all day. What do we want to do?"

Frog Dragon
2013-07-16, 11:34 AM
Cape Flint

The winds seem to be on your side, and the Breakprow makes good time. However, today you near the treacherous Cape Flint. Treacherous, due to the isles and promontories that made it easy for ne'er-do-wells to hide until a merchant ship couldn't escape effectively.

Such made honest merchants wary. Even Captain Johan had ordered the cannons to be prepared, though the barrels were not yet visible from the outside. It wouldn't do to have the Breakprow be thought of as a pirate ship.

The halfling posted at the crow's nest shouts "Ship at port!" True to what he shouted, a vessel is moving by the shoreline of the small isle on the left, though the distance makes it difficult to tell what kind of ship it is. "Keep your weapons ready, just in case," Johan speaks from his usual place on the quarterdeck, at the helm. "They might be merchants, or they might not be."

Stormageddon
2013-07-16, 01:58 PM
Great! What's this now? Olaf who had been sleeping after a long night on watch awakens to the sounds of the captain shouting. He straps on his armor, and grabs this bow and sword. He climbs on to the deck.

What the hell is going on!?

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-16, 10:36 PM
Magellan had been sitting on the main deck. He enjoyed being outdoors, and found that travel by boat was pleasant, more or less. Just then, he was enjoying watching the crew as they hurried about to prepare the ship for possible trouble.

He didn't begin to worry until he heard the Captain order the cannons to be prepared. Ye gods, he thought, they're really serious about this. Well... I suppose this is what I signed up for.

He hurried to the ladder to return belowdecks, trying to avoid jostling too many of the crew. Once back in his quarters, he found Olaf strapping on his armor. Rather than waste time asking about it, Magellan knelt on the floor and started rummaging through his pack, which he kept under his bed.

None of that fancy armor for me, he thought. Just hope I don't regret it.

To Olaf, he said only: "Lord Cap'n says we may have trouble from a passing ship."

He finally found his mace and his pickaxe, souvenirs of his time working in the mines. He preferred his bare knuckles when fighting with drunks, but from the urgency in the air around him... Magellan decided he felt safer with the solid weight of weapons in his hands.

Hazuki
2013-07-17, 10:45 AM
Upon the sound that there might be trouble, Erin begins to think of a plan to maximize her effectiveness in the upcoming situation. While not much a tactician, she knows her way around the battlefield, and swiftly comes up with a solution. She tells Barton and Tissar to stick around the mayor and his mother, to yell loudly if they come across danger and protect the two as best they can, before heading up to deck, fully armed and armored, and looks over the available resources.

The woman finds a spot on the deck from which the potential pirates wouldn't have line of sight against her and stands beside a large crate, which she could duck behind should a fight prove likely and fight off those trying to board.

Stormageddon
2013-07-17, 11:22 AM
Olaf sighs as he surveys for a place to set up. Damn pirates! He starts to grab some barrels and crates for a place to snipe from should the situation call for it.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-17, 02:16 PM
Ulhar finds himself wishing that this was nothing but another merchant ship, that the trip would continue to be uneventful. Still one must be prepared."Barton and Tissar it would be best if you barred the door and dont open it unless you hear Erin's voice... no matter what you hear" He arms himself and as soon as he see's the door of the cabin closing goes up the decks as well.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-17, 05:18 PM
Over the course of a dozen minutes, the ships approach each other, and soon it is apparent that the other ship is of a similar make to the Breakprow. One of the crewmembers shouts up at Johan. "Captain! Can't we just evade them?" "No," he says. "By the time we saw them, they were already in position to catch us." The other ship seems to be turning slightly, and the halfling in the crow's nest shouts down.

"They're raising a flag!" True enough, a black flag rises on the second carrack's mast, and their intentions are clear. "It's the jolly roger!"

The captain stands still for a few seconds at the wheel, deliberating. Then he turns it sharply, shouting. "Hard-a-port!" The ship begins a sharp left turn, only bringing it closer to the opposing pirate vessel. However, the island shore nears as well.

"We cannot surrender to them," the captain speaks. "Even if they should spare us, our guests would be slaughtered the moment they learned of the Carac's bounty." You can hear murmurs among the crew, and all have found weapons, mostly short, curved and broad-bladed swords, though it is unlikely that a merchant crew can use them all that well. Ten of the crew have manned cannons, ready to fire upon the pirates.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-17, 09:19 PM
Magellan deliberated his position briefly. Should he stay belowdecks to help protect the mayor, or join the others on the deck?

If the pirates get past everyone up top, he thought, then they'll get past you, too. Ye ain't no use to anybody down here. Get yer arse outside.

Magellan hustled to the ladder and climbed up topside, and kept low once he was out. He could see that they were already on course to battle the enemy ship - which was flying an honset-to-god jolly roger, Magellan noticed with awe - and he didn't want to be seen yet. Taking his cue from the others, he tucked himself away behind a barrel in the corner formed by the ship's rail and the wall of the forecastle. Nothing left but to wait.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-18, 12:21 AM
There goes the uneventful trip... Even as Ulhar thinks that he cant help but feel his blood boil. Shield and axe at hand he has take cover in an area that he thinks the thick of the fight will be.

Stormageddon
2013-07-18, 12:41 AM
Olaf calls out to the captain.

Fire the damn cannons you fool!

Stormageddon
2013-07-18, 12:28 PM
Olaf moves himself into a better position at the top of the forecastle.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-18, 03:34 PM
"When we're in position!" The captain shouts back at Olaf as the ship continues turning, its broadside now nearly leveled at the approaching pirate vessel. However, the pirates are also in position. "Fire!" Johan shouts, and the two crews fire almost simultaneously. A hail of grapeshot flies past the Breakprow, missing the rigging it was intended for. The crew of the Breakprow fires better, impacting with the rear half of the enemy ship. You can hear the screams and shouts of their crew as the shots hit their cannon emplacements.

Still moving closer, the pirate vessel turns, no longer aiming its broadside at the Breakprow. The vessels turn slightly after a minute and a half or so, firing their broadsides once more, but the shots merely bounce off the hulls of the carracks. The opposing vessel turns to move directly at you once more, and before the cannons are loaded again, the ship is upon you, its crew tossing grappling hooks at the deck. Most of them, humans and dwarves, wear no armor. But one stands out, a dwarf at the deck with a sword at his hip and a shield at his back. He raises a musket and fires, missing one of the crewmembers. Johan, now at the edge of the quarterdeck, fires down as well, with as much success. The boats close, and the boarders will jump soon.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2720/5qqp.jpg

Pick a spot to start the encounter in, and roll initiative. Not all of the crews are shown yet (all of them couldn't fight at once anyway). There's a one round interval where you have a clear shot at the enemy deck, but the ships aren't close enough for a safe-ish jump.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-19, 02:57 PM
The dwarf drops his musket and draws his sword and shield even as three of his allies are picked off by Olaf and Johan from above. He shouts in Kilthish and practically steps over the gap between the ships as they sway closer to each other, planting himself next to the orc and two of Johan's crew, swinging his sword at the orc. His strike bounces off Ulhar's shield as Ulhar's axe scores a bleeding would through his chain.

The two crew next to him swing wildly, but his shield catches the blows. Judging Ulhar the greatest threat, he levels his shield at the orc and takes a stance.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7430/d9q2.jpg

Frog Dragon
2013-07-20, 08:05 AM
The dwarf yells once more in Kilthish as his pirates surge forth. "Kill the orc!" The pirates run over the gap between the ships, two falling to the blades of Breakprow's crew before one manages to land his feet on the deck, swinging at Ulhar. More charge, swinging while standing one foot on each railing, trying to force the crew to back away. Three manage to cut into Ulhar's armor, but the orc does not fall easily and the pirates' blades leave minor wounds. Magellan and a gnoll on the other end of the battle line manage to evade their attackers.

The captain reloads his gun and aims at one dwarf balancing on the gap. The musket ball catches her and she loses her footing, falling into the waters between the ship.

You can see more pirates running up to the deck, but seeing the bodies of their companions, they clearly hesitate.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4274/z1ds.jpg

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-20, 12:54 PM
Even as his own blood is spilled Ulhar eyes flare from the trill of the fight. He swiftly changes his footing and lets out a fearsome roar. Then he makes an overhead chop with his trusty axe trying to expose the armored dwarf to further attacks.
OOC: swift action to change to martial spirit stance, free action to enter rage and i am using Leading the Attack attack roll [roll0] damage [roll1] and in case of crit threat confirmation roll [roll2]

Stormageddon
2013-07-20, 12:55 PM
Well we certainly have people trying to organize can we. Olaf targets the pirate captain. He waits for Magellan to move as to leave an opening. Breathing in, breath out, breath in, breath out fire!

Hazuki
2013-07-21, 08:25 AM
A pirate crew of dwarves is an interesting situation indeed, at least in Erin's mind, though the confidence of the Captain seems to far outweigh his actual skill in combat. Still, the onslaught of pirates seems far less sudden than she has been expecting, so Erin moves towards the plank and the railings that line the ship to take a jab at whichever pirate is within reach of her swinging glaive.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-23, 08:06 AM
Everything was happening so quickly. The dwarf in the armor had barely dodged Magellan's attacks before he was struck down anyway.

Naturally, he thought. Not exactly a seasoned warrior, are we, Magellan?

There was still the matter of the pirate crew, who were still crossing the gap between ships... and two of them were within Magellan's reach.

Now's yer chance. He readied his weapons...

Attack on O9, with light pick: [roll0]. Damage: [roll1]
Attack on P9, with brutal light mace: [roll2]. Damage: [roll3]; reroll for brutal [roll4]

Frog Dragon
2013-07-23, 09:06 AM
The death of their captain sets off panic among the pirates, not at all helped by the subsequent assault on the pirates on the railings. One of the humans manages to shout in Kilthish "Kralaus is dead!", before Ulhar's axe cleaves into his head, dropping him into the Breakprow's deck, right when Erin's glaive reaches between Magellan and Ulhar to take the feet off a dwarf, knocking him into the waters, though already dying from his wound.

Magellan catches another two, sending one into the pirate ship's deck with a mace to the ribs, and another down into waters with a pickaxe to the legs. The last pirate on the railing tries to turn and run, but a gnoll cuts her in the side before she can.

With a dozen pirates dead in as many seconds, the ones still remaining think better of their chances. The pirates that had come to the deck to join the fray disappear under the quarterdeck, and you hear shouts of "Flee!" Someone has apparently taken their wheel, as the ship begins to float forwards, away from the Breakprow. The grappling hooks, their ropes not affixed to anything, continue hanging on the railing.

Four bodies lay on the deck, and not one is of the Breakprow's crew. Johan lowers his gun and speaks. "Now, we sink them. Unless someone has a better idea."

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-23, 12:14 PM
Ulhar nearly jump over to the next ship, the blood on his veins demanding retribution for the hits he suffered, before he manages to regain control of he senses. Breathing heavily he inspects the scene feeling a little proud that nobody died from their side. He ponders briefly the captains question but he does not answer waiting for someone else to take the initiative on this one. He just reminds to himself the first and foremost his task is to protect the mayor and is almost half a step away from going downsters to check on him.

Stormageddon
2013-07-23, 04:05 PM
What is he waiting for!?

Sink it you fool! Before they are able to get some friends and seek revenge!

Frog Dragon
2013-07-25, 12:13 PM
"Sink them!" The captain shouts as some of the crew rushes back to the cannons to finish loading them. However, it seems that the opposing ship has had the same idea. Though it is unlikely that they hold any illusions of winning the engagement, cannonfire still booms from both ships, the pirates managing to tear at the rigging with chain-shot, likely hoping to stop the Breakprow from pursuing them. However, the Breakprow's cannons are on the mark as well, hitting the pirate's waterline. The Breakprow reloads and fires again, but there is no response. The enemy vessel has stopped, dead in the water, no-one manning the cannons. Likely, they are trying to patch the holes in their hull, though the unstable sway of the ship seems to mark it a doomed affair.

Satisfied that the vessel is unlikely to threaten them any further, Johan climbs down to the main deck, gun left leaning against the mizzenmast. Offhandedly shouting at the crew to take down the damaged sail and replace it, he walks up to the dead dwarven captain's body. "A signet ring," he notes, looking at the dwarf's hand. "Can anyone recognize it?"

Hazuki
2013-07-25, 01:06 PM
The battle over with quickly and easily, Erin lets out a sigh of relief as she returns her blood-stained glaive to her side. She removes a simple cloth from her pocket to wipe the blood off of the metal, until hearing the Captain's call for help and glancing over at the scene. She walks over steadily, kneeling beside him and the Dwarven Captain. Carefully examining the ring, without touching it, she beginst o speak.

"A split Dwarven House, a quarter of whom were executed about ten years ago after their rebellion was defeated. Translated name of Goatrock, so it seems likely that these fellows are traitors who got away, or somebody who just wanted to wear the ring of a noble."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-25, 08:42 PM
Magellan listened closely as the Lady identified the ring. He wasn't sure whether it would prove important, but damned if he wasn't going to remember it.

Instead of hemming and hawing about the signet ring and what it meant - he knew that he didn't know enough about nobles and their politics to be of much use - Magellan quietly excused himself. He went to the ladder and climbed down belowdecks to check on the mayor and his mother.

Stormageddon
2013-07-25, 11:59 PM
Olaf walks over disguised. Kicks the dead dwarf in the head and uncerimoniously rips the arrow out his neck.

probably some piss ant who looted this ring and wore it around to be fancy. If you're concerned why not go ask his lordship if it means anything to him.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-26, 02:05 AM
Ulhar starts saying a small prayer for the departed souls holding his amulet absentmindedly. What Erin had said summarized his own knowledge for that matter. Well I am going downstairs to check on our ward as well. Magellan wait for me. He quickly proceeds to follow Magellan.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-26, 04:57 AM
Main Deck
"Hold up," Johan says Olaf kicks the dwarf. "If this man was a traitor of house Galtstäen, his body could be worth something. I know one Kardolf Galtstäen in Reidenbirg. I've bought from him a few times. He could be wanted as a pirate captain anyway, but I'm sure Kardolf would want to hear of this." He lifts up the sword that the dwarf had dropped in his fall. "This is fine make," he says. "If worn. I don't think this was any common man."

Lower Deck
Climbing down the ladder, Magellan can see no-one on the lower deck. Everyone is up on the main deck. The door to the guest room is still closed, and you see nothing out of the ordinary.

Stormageddon
2013-07-26, 06:23 PM
Olaf start to rub his chine. He stop and reconsiders the dwarf. Nobles, nobles mean trouble, but also maybe gold.

If nothing else they might be offering a reward for recovering the ring.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-07-26, 09:57 PM
Magellan walked across to the guest room. Knocking quietly, he announces himself and Ulhar before opening the door to check on the mayor.

"How ye holding up in here?" he says. "The fighting's done, so it is, but we ain't exactly in the clear yet."

Magellan slumped down onto his bed. It didn't seem likely to him that the dwarves that had attacked could have known Ralon was aboard, but he thought it would be safer to ask. "While I'm still thinking of it, I wonder if either of ye've heard of a family, name of Goatrock? One of the dwarves that attacked us had a ring with their sigil, so he did. Might there be a chance they could be after ye? Assuming they had some way of knowing ye were on board, ye ken."

Frog Dragon
2013-07-28, 11:40 AM
Main Deck
"Unlikely, but maybe," Johan says. "But even if he isn't a Galtstäen, he could still have a bounty."

Lower Deck
Ilaca is the first to speak once the door is opened to Magellan and he asks his question. "How could they? We left hardly a day after that Hossar fellow freed him," she says, glancing at her son. "I doubt Ralapi's people could have arranged a ship here in that time." Ralon looks like he might say something, but then just nods.

Stormageddon
2013-07-29, 05:35 PM
hmmm well I'll be in my bunk trying to sleep before my shift.

Frog Dragon
2013-07-30, 05:51 PM
Sails repaired, the Breakprow begins cruising away from the site of the battle, leaving the enemy ship to sink. Fairly certain that the rank crewmembers of the pirate ship were worth nothing to anyone, Johan has had everyone of the pirates but the dwarven captain tossed into the sea.

The three remaining days of the trip go without further incident, coastal sailing in good weather being quite easy for the crew. It is around midday when the city of Reidenbirg is finally on the horizon, and quickly approaching. The city is the de-facto capital of Angerland, and with a population of over 30,000 people, possibly the largest city. The ship closes in on the port, sailing past other vessels and various dockhouses. One can even see Hossar Abodhi's symbol on one of the houses.

As the ship finally docks, the captain walks down the gangplank to negoatiate with the docking officers, taking two up to the ship to inspect his cargo.

The dwarf had an exceptional scimitar, an exceptional heavy shield, and an exceptional chain shirt. Unless someone intends to take it upon themselves to hide the dwarf head, that might take a little explaining.

Stormageddon
2013-07-30, 11:44 PM
The last 3 days have been harsh on Olaf. The sea smelled wrong too much blue to much motion. He has been feeling sick for the last couple of days and run down the plank glad to finally reach land.

If I never step foot on a ship again it will be too soon! he tells Octan who cheerfully licked Olaf's face for a wolf he had faired a lot better than his master. Octan had in fact became very popular among the crew as he did not seem at all displeased to be on the boat. His naturally playful nature had become a big hit as he was often seen chasing birds on deck or below deck fetching objects thrown by the crew members.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-07-31, 11:53 PM
Ulhars was happy a part of the journey was ending. At the end he realy hadnt made any friends on the ship remaining stoic and vigilant most of the time. So this is Reidenbirg... impressive.

Frog Dragon
2013-08-01, 05:21 AM
As the two dock officers check the crates on the deck for anything suspicious, they can't fail to notice a sack with somewhat suspicious-looking contents. One of the two men opens it enough to peer inside, and then turns to the captain.

"Good captain, why might there be a severed head on your ship?" Johan turns to answer, and by this point, Ralon has climbed up the ladder into the main deck, and is helping his mother do the same. "We were attacked by pirates on the way here," Johan says. "This man was their captain."

Ulhar and Magellan only
You hear a faint series of clicks from somewhere above.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-08-01, 03:23 PM
The clicking sound Ulhar heared made the hairs on his neck stand up. He moved to stand between Ralon and his mother and any openning from above fearing the worse.... crossbows or guns. Lissen check to locate the origin of the sound [roll0]

Fake Roosevelt
2013-08-01, 11:23 PM
During the inspection, Magellan kept quietly off to the side. The last few days of sea travel had passed simply, and he was glad to be getting back on to shore.

He tensed when the dock workers asked about the dwarf's head, though. Johan's answer seemed reasonable enough to him, and hoped they'd be able to collect on any bounty there may have been on this dwarf.

Yet still Magellan was tense. He thought he heard something above him...

While attempting to appear casual, Magellan tries to spot the source of the noise. Spot check: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-08-02, 09:21 AM
Remembering his duty. He sucks up his will power and goes back on the ship to see his companions staring into the sails.

What in the hell is going on!? Don't tell me you lost one something up there?

Fake Roosevelt
2013-08-02, 03:19 PM
While glancing upward, Magellan failed to notice Olaf approaching. He jumped, startled, when Olaf spoke.

"I thought I heard something strange," he said, keeping his voice low. "Up in the rigging. Can you see anything up there?"

Frog Dragon
2013-08-03, 03:13 PM
Ralon steps forward, though still staying under the roof of the rear half of the quarterdeck, standing next to Magellan. "In any case, can we go?" Ralon says, keeping his voice low mostly because Magellan did so too. Louder, you can hear the captain's and the dock officers' discussion closer to the forecastle.

"I see. Do you know anyone who could confirm this man's identity?" one of the officers ask. "I would indeed. I'd guess he's a relative of one Kardolf Galtstäen," the captain says.

Stormageddon
2013-08-05, 08:47 PM
Any idea of where we should start?

Frog Dragon
2013-08-12, 11:55 PM
Moving in a circle around the mayor and stepping out from under the roof on the back of the main deck, you walk towards the gangplank, the crew making way for the group. As you step on the gangplank itself to get to the harbor itself, a masked figure rises in the crow's nest, hefting a crossbow like a trained sniper. She fires a bolt, and despite your efforts to shield the mayor, the bolt strikes him in the back, causing him to stumble. The crossbow clicks again, and the assassin readies for another shot.

Stormageddon
2013-08-13, 12:20 AM
Bloody hell!

Surprised by the sniper Olaf turns around aims at the would be assassin and unleashes his arrow.

[roll0] damage [roll1]

Fake Roosevelt
2013-08-13, 12:44 AM
Magellan spits at the ground. "Thrice damned coward," he mutters to himself, shooting a dirty look up at the crow's nest.

Lacking the means to shoot back, he instead moves to help the wounded mayor. Magellan steadies him with a hand on the shoulder before the mayor can tumble off of the gangplank.

"Can ye walk, milord?" he asks. "Stay low and close to me awhile."

Drawing his pickaxe, Magellan hisses at Ulhar. "Help me move him, ye great beast. We can't stay on the ship now. Where there's one assassin, there's another." Even as he spoke, his eyes darted around the port, looking for any sign of further ambush.

Spot check for trouble elsewhere in the port. [roll0]

ArchangelAzrael
2013-08-13, 10:42 AM
Ulhar is really angry with himself... this should not have happened! He should have been extra careful force the mayor to wear armor... do something! As he hears Magellan's voice he rushes to assist him throwing his shield over the mayors body in the process. Keep him pinned Olaf! and in a more low voice to Magellan I sure hope there aren't any more.

Frog Dragon
2013-08-14, 01:13 AM
The mayor nearly falls, but with Magellan and Ulhar's help, he manages to keep standing. "Oh gods, what was that?" He speaks in a weak voice, shuffling to the center of the gangplank to avoid falling. "It burns," he mumbles.

It seems that the crew has just realized what was happening. Ilaca, having stayed a short distance behind on the ship, starts running with a cry of "Ralon!"

Someone close on the dock shouts "murder!", and some of the spectators start running. The two dock officers draw swords in preparation, while the captain rushes back under the main deck roof, their conversation suddenly interrupted.

Ralon makes a half-turn back towards the deck to see his assailant, who is just aiming another bolt at him. He tries to duck under Ulhar's shield, but moves a beat too late. The bolt catches him in the shoulder and he crumples, falling backwards almost instantly.

The assassin only spares him a split-second glance before deciding it is time to go. Deftly leaping over the crow's nest walls and onto the mainbrace, she runs towards the starboard end of the structure, preparing to leap.

Hazuki
2013-08-14, 03:42 AM
"Well then." Is all that comes from Erin's mouth upon seeing the bolt that launches itself into the Mayor's spine; that's about all it takes for them to fail the job they were hired to do and give her a worse reputation for future endeavors. Flipping her cloak away from her feet with the heel of her boot, Erin begins sprinting towards the docks, regardless of whoever might choose to get in her way. Only one way for the assassin to go, after all.

"Barton, Tissar, come! If we must fail, let us at least fail in style." She announces to her two lackeys as she prepares to give chase.

Erin's first turn is spent running to the docks with Barton and Tissar. Her action in this, current round, will be giving chase to the assassin.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-08-14, 11:02 AM
As Ulhar witness the mayors body getting shot a second time he yells in the local tongue Man down! is there a Healer nearby?! a priest?!

Stormageddon
2013-08-14, 07:17 PM
Olaf curses as his arrow hit the side of the crow's nest and see the assassin run. Putting one last arrow into the mayor.

No! You bastard! You don't get away today!

He shoots another arrow at the assassin.

[roll0] Damage [roll1]

Frog Dragon
2013-08-15, 12:25 PM
Though the assassin does not respond to Olaf's shouts, you do hear a not-quite suppressed scream as the arrow finds its mark. The assassin pauses for a second at the end of the mainbrace, pulling the arrow out of her upper arm and hanging the crossbow out of her belt, wanting her hands free.

Then she leaps, diving off the mainbrace.

Ilaca, running up to her son, kneels down, squeezing past the warriors around him. She frantically tries to take measure of his son's condition, checking for pulse and looking at the second wound he sustained. Then, she stops, simply mumbling "no" repeatedly in Carac. No-one else dares come any closer, especially as Erin runs past towards the end of the pier.

From further down the pier, Erin can see where the assassin had hit water mere moments before, the reddish splash rapidly yellowing as it dissipates into the surrounding water.

One of the officers that had been conversing with Johan hustles up to the starboard railing of the ship, looking down at the water. "I'm going to dive after her!" he shouts to the other. "Go get help!" With that, he begins to climb over the railing, sword still in hand, while the other nods and turns for the gangplank.

Doing some trigonometry, it would seem like Olaf actually has a range penalty on that shot. However, he would hit anyway.

Stormageddon
2013-08-16, 03:29 PM
We're not done here! After her! I want to meet the woman that costed me a pay day!

Olaf starts running down the plank to pursue the assassin.

Frog Dragon
2013-08-22, 05:20 AM
The assassin comes up for air, now somewhat closer to the next pier and turns in the water, diving left, directly towards the next pier in the row jutting out from the harbor itself. You see the guard swimming in the same direction, but staying on the surface.

You can make ranged attacks when she pops up for air, but she would have Improved Cover.

Hazuki
2013-08-22, 10:04 AM
Erin, Barton, and Tissar immediately begin sprinting for the next pier, having a headstart from already being off of the ship and immediately following her once the halfling had begun sprinting. All three of them charge through the crowds, their feet hitting the floor as quickly as they'll let them, although the halfling trails slightly behind. Erin would be making more dramatic statements, but prefers to keep her breath while she runs; with any luck, the halfling will run out of breath before she does.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-08-24, 08:13 AM
For a moment, Magellan was paralyzed, unsure of how to proceed. He wanted very much to pursue the assassin - it was an underhanded trick, firing from concealment as she had. If nothing else, the assassin deserved a walloping for ruining their job.

But there was Ralon and his mother to consider, as well. Aside from carrying Ralon's body somewhere less conspicuous, he couldn't think of much else to do...

"Ulhar," he said, "we need to move him. If there's other assassins about, they may not be able to tell Ralon's ... um... you know," he finished, not wanting to say "dead" out loud, especially in front of Ilaca. "There could still be danger. Either help me move him and his mother to a safe place, or --" at this point Magellan nods toward the next pier, where Erin and the others are setting up to catch the fleeing assassin "-- go catch up with them and knock that killer around a bit."

Suddenly something Ralon had said after being first shot clicked into place in Magellan's mind. It burns, he'd said. Acting on a hunch, Magellan pulls the arrows out of Ralon's body, being careful not to touch the arrowheads. If they were poisoned arrows, it could serve as a clue in case they don't get the answers they need from the assassin.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-08-25, 09:26 AM
Ulhar Looks at the distance wanting to rush there then realising he would not be of any use. At least here he can protect the body of the mayor."Aye Magellan let me help you,

Stormageddon
2013-08-25, 10:55 AM
Olaf waits for the assassin to come up for breath and takes a shot.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Frog Dragon
2013-08-25, 04:11 PM
The arrow flies harmlessly into the water, and the assassin disappears from view yet again. The guard dives a short distance and continues to swim, apparently following the assassin.

"Yes, let's get him somewhere safe," Ilaca mumbles, standing up. "Maybe we can still..." she trails off, moving to help lift Ralon.

Erin reaches the pier quickly, especially since the crowd had already thinned from witnessing the murder on the Breaprow's gangplank. As she reaches the pier, the guard that was swimming after the assassin can be seen closer still. He pops his head underwater and then comes back up, cursing. "Where did she go?" He swims a little closer to the pier, only some 20 feet away now.

Where do you intend to take Ralon's body?

Fake Roosevelt
2013-08-27, 08:44 PM
With Ralon's body finally in motion, Magellan looked frantically around the port. His primary goal was to get the body indoors, at least.

He looked from one building to the next, hoping to spot one that would be sure to have a healer, or, failing that, perhaps a pub - all kinds stopped in bars, Magellan reckoned.

Rolling spot to quickly identify a healer's place, perhaps by a distinctive symbol or sign. If nothing looks promising, Magellan will settle for the first public building available. [roll0]

ArchangelAzrael
2013-08-28, 03:27 PM
Ulhar watches Magellans gaze and tries to carry the mayor as best as he can, he too looking for a healers place despite the futility of such an action. spot check [roll0]
He couldnt help but feel sorry for the mother and angry at himself. what ever else the mayor was he still was her only child and he had failed her.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-08-30, 09:53 PM
Magellan points out a nearby building. Above the door are highly polished disks, made of steel and stone. "In there," he says, helping to heft Ralon's body along. "It's a temple, that." Even if the clergy inside couldn't heal Ralon, Magellan figured, they'd at least take the body. Probably.

Stormageddon
2013-08-31, 09:37 PM
Olaf reaches the pier and hears the sailors statement. Frustration burns in him. He curses, and shouts to Erin.

She has escaped! Lets rejoin the others and see what we can do to find a way out of this mess!

He starts walking back towards the ship.

Hazuki
2013-09-02, 08:56 AM
Erin gives a haggard look over the horizon as their prey easily escapes; a few thoughts entering her mind as what to do. She turns to face Barton and Tissar with a nod of her head and a spark of determination in her eyes. "We will find her. Come." The noblewoman makes a dramatic gesture of her hand as she follows the suggestion of Olaf, and strides back towards the ship with her cloak flowing behind her and two henchmen eagerly following to see justice done.

Or something like that. She really just wanted her reaction to look good for the benefit of the people and future opportunities to acquire jobs for her personal goal. If she looks shaken by her failure, she wouldn't have rumors spread about her as a failure or somebody who doesn't take their duty seriously.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-09-04, 02:18 PM
Ulhar keeps along with Magellan with the lifeless body of the mayor in his arms.

Frog Dragon
2013-09-04, 02:23 PM
Erin is soon joined by the guardsman, climbing up the side of the pier. He wrings some seawater out of his coats and mumbles. "She dove way deeper than I could've before I lost her." Reaching the gangplank, Johan walks up, musket now in hand. "How long until the guards come?" he asks. "Any minute now," the guardsman says, standing on the pier.

Magellan, Ulhar and Ilaca reach the dwarven temple, carrying Ralon's body. The door is already open, and you see a hall, ceiling held up by stout pillars on each side. The floor is a sandy brown, and you can see no seats. However, each pillar, and the walls, have carvings in them that you cannot quite see at this distance. A pulpit sits at the far end of the hall, and on the back wall, two doors. A human man sits crosslegged next to a pillar, and you can see a dwarven priestess, clad in white robes in front of the pulpit, back towards the door. She turns around when she hears you at the door. "Welcome to the... oh dear," she cuts herself off when she sees who you are carrying. "We need to get him to the back rooms," she says immediately. The human seems to finally take note of this, and begins to turn around and stand up.

Magellan
From the corner of your eye, you can see a figure climb up to the harbor between crates stacked between the piers, on the other side of the pier Erin was on.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-09-05, 08:51 PM
"Thank you," said Magellan. Something had moved in the corner of his eye, before he had actually set foot inside the temple. It was swift and nimble, climbing as it did...

He turned to Ilaca, fresh tension washing over him. "Take him inside, and see to him." To the priestess, he adds: "I've a hunch this man were poisoned. Here," he finished, handing over one of the arrows he'd removed from Ralon's body. "Inspect that, to be sure."

Barely pausing to breathe, he turned toward the pier again, his eyes focusing squarely on the spot where he'd seen movement. Starting to walk, he looked back over his shoulder. "Ulhar, follow here. I think I saw her."

ArchangelAzrael
2013-09-08, 11:46 AM
Ulhar unsure asks Magellan What if he is trying to finish the job? Shouldnt we stay close to the target?

Fake Roosevelt
2013-09-12, 08:31 AM
Magellan stopped only for a moment, considering.

"You can, if you like," he told Ulhar. "But I think Ralon will be safe in there. Now I'm going after that bastard." And he went on, picking up his pace a little.

Frog Dragon
2013-09-12, 12:59 PM
The assassin glances backwards and then breaks into a run, barely weaving past some of the other pedestrians on the way. The crossbow is still hanging from her belt. She runs diagonally across the street, moving for a street that leads toward the city centre.

Meanwhile, as Magellan rushes off to follow the assassin, some commotion seems to be coming from the street a mere two houses from the dwarven temple. The locals make way, and three guards appear at the harbor road, shouting. "Make way, killer on the loose!"

In the temple, the human who was meditating on the floor comes up and helps Ilaca and the priestess carry the body, moving Ralon towards the back rooms.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-09-23, 02:15 AM
Ulhar posses Briefly unsure of what his course of action should be but decides that if Magellan is going to chase the assassin he should follow him to support him.I am right behind you Magellan, lead the way.