PDA

View Full Version : House Rule: Class gained SLA's are quickened.

CyberThread
2013-07-05, 12:41 PM
Fiddling with the idea, and would like some feedback , before I introduce it to my group in real life. So often we see a few PRC's that give SLA's but don't really mean much, because folks can cast it anyways.

Do you think making all SLA's (besides warlock,DFA and that sort of stuff) into quicken abilities, would fundamentally change how some PRC's operate, or just be a shrug?

DeltaEmil
2013-07-05, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't do it. You'd have constantly fiends teleporting as a swift action every round (they all have teleport at-will as spell-like ability). I'm sure there are other extremely powerful spell-like abilities that would become unhinged when quickened all the time.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-05, 12:54 PM
It already saves you at least a spell slot even if you can already cast it.
If you want it quickened, spend a feat on it :smalltongue:

CyberThread
2013-07-05, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't do it. You'd have constantly fiends teleporting as a swift action every round (they all have teleport at-will as spell-like ability). I'm sure there are other extremely powerful spell-like abilities that would become unhinged when quickened all the time.

True, but I did say class gained SLA's .

Barsoom
2013-07-05, 01:46 PM
Quicken is a +4 levels metamagic. By Quickening an Nth level spell-like ability, you are effectively giving them an (N+4)th level spell-like ability. If they have a 2nd-level spell at will, you're giving them in effect a 6th-level spell at will.

If the SLA in question is exceptionally weak, you could get away with quickening it. But more often than not, it'll be unbalancing. Case-by-case, I guess.

ericgrau
2013-07-05, 01:46 PM
There are probably class SLAs that are just as bad as teleport. If they aren't high enough level to be bad, you can get the quicken SLA feat.

If you want something safer from abuse to boost SLAs, you could give a free quicken SLA feat when the PC would qualify for it. If he wouldn't qualify then he doesn't get the spell quickened yet; he needs to wait until he's higher level. That way you don't get nutso quickened high level spells.

Sylthia
2013-07-05, 01:48 PM
I'd say no, but you could make exceptions on a case by case basis. I sometimes have enemy NPCs have that ability if the are outnumbered by the PCs, but even then usually only the bosses, and it's something minor, not their main offensive ability or the like.

JaronK
2013-07-05, 05:05 PM
Considering all Factotum spells are actually Spell Like Abilities, I'd say Factotum players would be absolutely fine with this.

Warlocks wouldn't complain any, either.

JaronK

Flickerdart
2013-07-05, 07:58 PM
At level 7, Shadowcaster becomes amazing. Well, for a little while each day, anyway.

HalfQuart
2013-07-05, 08:09 PM
I guess I'd want to see a full list of classes with their SLAs before deciding something like that... it sounds rather abusable. But I suppose you know your players best... if they're not going to build their characters around this to exploit it, you might be just fine.

CyberThread
2013-07-05, 08:15 PM
Alright, I will avoid it, thank you for the feedback.

[/thread]