PDA

View Full Version : Custom Zodiac - Help Greatly Appreciated

originalginger
2013-07-05, 12:46 PM
I am working on a custom zodiac for a campaign setting, and would like some assistance with ideas.

There are 12 signs, listed below. What I would like to do is have the players choose a sign as character creation, sort of a third category along with race and class, that bestows certain bonuses, and perhaps penalties, such as:

*Bonus/penalty to skill points, probably +/- 2, to alter the modifier by 1.
*Perhaps a unique power or the like.
*Some kind of bonus when it is the month of that sigh and a penalty when it is the month of the opposed sign.
*Anything else that would be appropriate.

My reason for this is that three of the players are very much interested in astrology, and the idea was raised to use a unique fantasy zodiac in our game.

Here are the signs
The Dragon - The Bow - The Undine - The Harp - The Compass - The Phoenix - The War Horn - The Gryphon - The Hourglass - The Sword - The Seraph - The Unicorn

You can see the images that I made for them here
Link to DA image (http://theoriginalginger.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-Zodiac-Suggestions-Needed-383120476)

Also, better names would be nice, as well as suggestions for the order they should come in, which signs should be opposed with each other, what season would be appropriate, etc.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

-Edited to fix the link-

Mandrake
2013-07-05, 01:32 PM
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'd replace such sign names as Hourglass and Compass.

Cool they are, but they are inventions that would probably come a long while after the star combinations discovery, and it would seem weird that constellations get their names after them. I hope I'm clear what I mean, sorry for bad expression of thought. :)

originalginger
2013-07-05, 02:13 PM
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'd replace such sign names as Hourglass and Compass.

Cool they are, but they are inventions that would probably come a long while after the star combinations discovery, and it would seem weird that constellations get their names after them. I hope I'm clear what I mean, sorry for bad expression of thought. :)

Do you mean replace the signs themselves, or the names?
I plan on coming up with more creative names for them.

Anyway, from context I assume you mean think of totally new signs, which I am open to (and open to suggestions about what I might replace them with.)

My logic with those two specifically was this: I wanted signs that could have bonuses or minor powers of some kind that make sense with the sign, such as one born under the compass would have a power to a daily spell-like ability that shows them the cardinal direction, for use when navigation underground or whatnot, or that someone born under the hourglass could get some "see events and circumstances of the area that have occurred within the last day" kind of power.

In short, simple but useful unique powers that make sense for the sign.

Nonetheless, I will consider other possibilities. Thanks for the input! :smile:

Tegu8788
2013-07-05, 03:34 PM
Have you looked at themes and backgrounds? They are normally third leg of character building, and you can use existing ones to build some new mechanics around.

But a thought. How are you going to keep track of the months passing, in a fair way, so that you don't have one player stronger than the rest? That sounds like it may devolve into players resenting each other. If four months go by on a boat without an adventure, several players are likely to be pissed.

Perhaps have them look into Star Pact Warlocks, or give everyone a Divine Boon of some kind, that's constant.

I love the art though. I don't want to discourage you, because it seems like a very cool idea. It just still needs a bit more polish, from people with better system mastery than I have.

originalginger
2013-07-05, 04:15 PM
I don't want to discourage you, because it seems like a very cool idea. It just still needs a bit more polish, from people with better system mastery than I have.

I feel you, I am still thinking on the details, and am also not entirely fluent in 4e.

To answer your specific queries, being more powerful when the sign is "in season" is just a possible idea that I haven't fully decided to implement, and I agree that there could be problems with it.

Single always available powers that aren't too game breaking (once a day know the exact directions or the direction and distance to a certain landmark for The Compass, one per encounter re-roll damage if wielding an appropriate weapon for the Swords and The Bow, etc.) is probably the route I am going to take, along with a small +2 bonus to stats as well. The biggest issue I am having is determining what powers and bonuses to give what sign, and flavor stuff like what order they should come in, symbolism associated with it, etc.

I haven't looked over the themes and backgrounds information for quite a while, so I will definitely take a look at them, and will take a closer look at the Star Pact Warlock as well.

Thanks for your input, and compliment on the art! The art is mostly pieced together from 'how-to-draw' images found on Google with editing in photofiltre and inkscape, but nonetheless your compliment is appreciated

Tegu8788
2013-07-05, 04:55 PM
It would be pretty easy, and have precedence, of having a Theme and Background based on the same fluff.

Backgrounds are pretty simple. You get the option between a couple things: a +2 in one of two skills, the option to train in one of two skills, or learn a new language. It would be pretty easy for the skill idea to be a background.

Themes tend to be more in-depth, offering an addition power at level one and a few other bonuses, RP based mostly. Then at level 5 and 10 there are either more features or enhancements to the features. Afterwards, you can choose between class powers and theme powers, but not getting any more extra powers. These can be very broad and varied things, allowing you to do most anything, which the playground can help to balance.

If you can list the basics of what you want each Zodiac sign to do, we can start making things happen. If there blanks right now, so be it.

Boosting stats is pretty extreme for 4E, unless it's only for a very particular task (+2 Int for knowledge checks about the order that trained you). Star Pact Warlocks have powers based off of drawing powers from the dark depths of space. They also have some nice feat support, which can be poached with a simple MC feat.

originalginger
2013-07-07, 10:01 AM
So, after thinking on the advice here and on another forum, and talking to some of the players, here is what I have so far. I wrote it up similar to how it might be presented in a splatbook or the like, with flavor text, optional rules, etc. I still don't have any of the powers yet, which is the part I need to most assistance with, but I do have a lot of the flavor text, symbolism, and such more-or less completed.

Marked as spoiler due to length.

OPENING DESCRIPTIVE TEXT
The Zodiac
Very early in history it became clear that those born during certain times of the year were bestowed with specific blessing from the divine powers. The year was soon divided into twelve months corresponding to these blessings, and each month was associated with a pattern in the stars.

With time a complex system of divination was developed based on these star signs. The year itself is three-hundred nineteen days long, each sign lasting 26 days. The seven days between the sixth sign, Monoceros, and the seventh sign, Ambitus, are known as the Week of Ill-Fortune. Those born during the Week of Ill-Fortune are known as The Starless and are given no blessings from the divine powers. Often times they are born with physical deformities, mental handicaps, or other detrimental characteristics.

The signs can be used in a myriad of ways in your campaign, below are listed a series of optional rules you might consider implementing, and a selection of examples of how the signs might be used to flesh out your campaign world

Character Creation
When creating your character you may choose any of the twelve signs and add special bonuses associated with that sign. You may choose one +2 stat bonus from the two options listed, as well as one innate power from the two listed under your chosen sign. Certain signs may be considered better suited to a certain race or class than others, though you may choose any sign regardless of your race and class.

The signs also have various symbolic elements. The significance of those symbols are as follows:

Opposed
Each sign is opposed to the sign directly opposite. As an optional rule, should your group decide to implement it, you take a -2 penalty to one of the stats not given a bonus for your sign.

Color
Each sign is represented by a specific color. That color is consider lucky for those born under that sign. As an optional rule, you may add a +1 circumstance bonus to checks if something of that color is involved in the check. You may also add a +1 bonus to damage or attack rolls of the hilt of your sword, flights of your arrows, etc. are of that color. There are many ways to implement this rule, so discuss with your DM to determine if and how the bonuses will be applied.

Gemstone
Each sign is represented by a certain precious or semi-precious stone. As an optional rule you may add various bonuses when your sign's stone is present. For example, you might have a rogue under the Angelus who wears a pendant inlaid with a ruby that gives a +2 bonus to thievery checks, or a Wizard of the Tempus sign who can use an encounter spell twice if she wields a wand tipped with a Cat's Eye. As with the color, this can be implemented in many ways, so discuss with your DM to determine if and how the bonuses will be applied.

Traits
A sign's traits can be used as a guide to role-playing, helping to add a layer of complexity to your character's personality. For example, one born under Angelus should display respect and compassion whenever possible, and one born under Phoenicis should be played as highly passionate, dignified, and charitable. The level at which this is implemented largely depends on your group, the frequency of non-combat role-playing in the campaign, and other factors specific to your game.

Use in the Campaign World
The Zodiac can be used in many other ways in your campaign world listed below are some ideas you might consider implementing, or use as inspiration for developing your own ideas.

In many cities and other areas of the world, shrines and dungeons are protected by the glyphs of specific signs. These areas can only be accessed by individuals of the corresponding sign, or when it is the month ruled by the corresponding sign.

It has become tradition to wear a broach or pendant bearing the glyph of your birth sign. Many social interactions have become intimately tied to the zodiac, with the majority of individuals automatically making assumptions about others based upon their sign.

Certain races, nationalities, or religions have developed strict codes for reproduction to encourage or prevent births under specific signs, and individuals failing to observe these codes or born under inappropriate signs are subject to severe punishments, social ostracization, or intense prejudice, while those born under the signs considered best are given advantages in life unavailable to others.

Only certain signs are considered suitable for specific occupations or social stations. It is all but impossible to become an influential politician, successful merchant, respected leader, etc. unless you were born under the appropriate sign.

In the major cites of the world, guilds have been formed dedicated to specific signs, promising fellowship and cooperation among individuals who share a birth sign.

THE SIGNS
Tempus the hourglass
Tempus is the first sign of the zodiac, and it's arrival marks the coming of the new year.

Tempus symbolizes the constant passage of time and mortality.

Opposed Ambitus, the Compass
Color Gold
Gemstone Cat's Eye
Traits Fellowship, Prudence, Punctuality

Those born under the sign of Tempus gain a +2 bonus to either Wisdom or Charisma, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Angelus the seraph
Angelus is the second sign of the zodiac, and marks the Feast of Creation.

It symbolizes truth and the wisdom of the gods.

Opposed Sirenia, the Undine
Color Cobalt
Gemstone Topaz
Traits Respect, Compassion, Insightfulness

Those born under the sign of Angelus gain a +2 bonus to either Dexterity or Intelligence, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Phoenicis the phoenix
Phoenicis is the third sign of the zodiac, and marks the coming of spring

Phoenicis symbolizes rebirth and order.

Opposed Leonaquilem, the Gryphon
Color Crimson
Gemstone Ruby
Traits Charity, Dignity, Passion

Those born under the sign of Phoenicis gain a +2 bonus to either Strength or Constitution, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Arcum the bow
Arcum is the fourth sign of the zodiac, and marks the Festival of the Hunt.

It symbolizes flexibility and focus.

Opposed Romphea, the Swords
Color Hunter Green
Gemstone Jade
Traits Justice, Modesty, Purposefulness

Those born under the sign of Arcum gain a +2 bonus to either Dexterity or Intelligence, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Cithara The Harp
Cithara is the fifth sign of the zodiac, and marks the planting season.

It symbolizes storytelling and divine revelation.

Opposed Bucina, the Horn
Color Maize
Gemstone Marialite
Traits Charm, Kindness, Grace

Those born under the sign of Cithara gain a +2 bonus to either Wisdom or Charisma, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Monoceros the unicorn
Monoceros is the sixth sign of the zodiac, and marks the coming of summer.

It symbolizes chastity and virtue.

Opposed Serpentea, the Dragon
Color Indigo
Gemstone Amethyst
Traits Bravery, Selflessness, Honor

Those born under the sign of Monoceros gain a +2 bonus to either Strength or Constitution, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Ambitus the compass
Ambitus is the seventh sign of the zodiac and marks ???

It symbolizes knowledge and harmony.

Opposed Tempus, the Hourglass
Color Vermilion
Gemstone Spinel
Traits Ordered, Thoughtful, Intuitive

Those born under the sign of Ambitus gain a +2 bonus to either Dexterity or Intelligence, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Sirenia the undine
Sirenia is the eight sign of the zodiac, and marks ???

It symbolizes mystery and emotion.

Opposed Angelus, the Seraph
Color Sea Green
Gemstone Emerald
Traits Tenacity, Allure, Creativity

Those born under the sign of Sirenia gain a +2 bonus to either Wisdom or Charisma, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Leonaquilem the gryphon
Leonaquilem is the ninth sigh of the zodiac, and marks the coming of Autumn.

It symbolizes guardianship and nobility.

Opposed Phoenicis, the Phoenix
Color Goldenrod
Gemstone Amber
Traits Responsibility, Vigilance, Optimism

Those born under the sign of Leonaquilem gain a +2 bonus to either Strength or Constitution, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Romphea the swords
Romphea is the tenth sign of the zodiac and marks ???

It symbolizes Conquest and Destiny.

Opposed Arcum, the Bow
Color Azure
Gemstone Sapphire
Traits Idealism, Ambition, Reason

Those born under the sign of Romphea gain a +2 bonus to either Dexterity or Intelligence, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Bucina the horn
Bucina is the eleventh sign of the zodiac, and marks the harvest season.

It symbolizes hope and abundance.

Opposed Cithara, the Harp
Color Amaranth
Gemstone Garnet
Traits Humor, Motivation, Sincerity

Those born under the sign of Bucina gain a +2 bonus to either Wisdom or Charisma, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

Serpentea The Dragon
Serpentea is the twelfth sign of the zodiac, and marks the coming of winter.

It symbolizes longevity and prosperity.

Opposed Monoceros, the Unicorn
Color Chartreuse
Gemstone Alexandrite
Traits Principled, Patient, Ethical

Those born under the sign of Tempus gain a +2 bonus to either Strength or Constitution, and a -2 penalty to any of the other four ability scores.

As you can see, there is still a bit of information missing, such as what kind of annual events might happen on some of the months, ans as mentioned above, I have none of the powers created yet.

Any help on developing appropriate powers, advice on things that should be changed or refined, or any other ideas you have are much appreciated.

Tegu8788
2013-07-07, 11:43 AM
I did not read all of the zodiac, but the kind of general bonuses you are implementing to the system are Epic Destiny level bonuses, for level 1 characters. This will unbalance the system quite a bit, and forth edition is built around balance. I don't know if you plan to compensate for the power changes, but with these kind of boosts all of your players will be extra powerful. If all it takes is a little paint to get a +1 magic item, then things will skyrocket fast. I would include something about those bonuses not stacking.

originalginger
2013-07-07, 12:06 PM
Perhaps I am fundamentally misunderstanding something about the system then. I am a Ad&D2e veteran, and have DMd a few 3.5 campaigns, but have little experience with 4e beyond a few test encounters. This will be my first 4e campaign, I decided to switch because of 3 beginner players, 2 of which are under 12. It is very likely that there is some preconception I have that is making me approach this the wrong way.

Doesn't a +2 bonus to a stat just amount to a +1 modifier? And if I am raising one stat and lowering another, wouldn't that basically balance out in the bigger picture. I mean, races seem to like to give a +2 star bonus at character creation, and a lot of the classes give a +1 to the defenses (fortitude, will, reflex) so shouldn't just making certain rolls 1 DC harder, adding an extra monster to an encounter, etc. help to keep it more-or-less in balance? If we use the point-buy system instead of rolling, I could also house rule in 20 points to spend rather than the RAW 22.

Also, do you mean not stacking as in if your race gives you a +2 to strength, then you can't take another +2 to strength from your star sign? If so, I think that I can add that in without issue, though at character creation that would just mean another stat gets raised. Should I drop the stat increase altogether? Tell the players that it is either the sign bonus or the race bonus?

Sorry if I sound like a fool, 4e has the advantage of being streamlined and internally consistent, but is far removed from previous editions from what I can tell.

-Edited because I am a terrible speller and worse typist-

Tegu8788
2013-07-07, 01:00 PM
If your players are 12, then giving them overpowered characters may be a very good thing. They are also less likely to try and exploit loopholes if they are given some extra goodies. +2 to a stat is a big deference between +1 to a defense, but it also boosts all related skills, attacks, damage, and defenses. What I meant about not stacking would be the color and gem with magic items. 4E is the land where very little stacks. Feats don't stack with feats, but they can with items. 4E characters tend to focus on one or two stats and dump the rest, relying on party members to compensate, which the extra bonuses could exploit. Maybe if you ruled that no stat at level 1 could exceed 20 that wouldn't be an issue, and would lead to better rounded characters without being really overpowered.

See how a tiny bit of information changes things? Those with more system mastery can help you with this much homebrew, but its a bit past me.

shamgar001
2013-07-14, 01:16 AM
I'm not really an expert in 4e homebrew, but I think +/-2 to ability scores seems like a lot, especially when you're -2 in four scores.

If you wanted to make it +/-2 to skill and ability checks based on those scores, you'd be better. If I were designing this, I'd probably have each sign affect two or three skills, maybe some other minor, background-level bonuses.

Another source of inspiration might be the domains in Divine Power if you have that. Perhaps make the signs give you access to sign-specific feats.