PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Cartographer for arena map

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-07, 07:27 PM
We are running a "Battle of the Core Classes" *drum roll* and we seek the input from a skilled cartographer to create an arena map for the challenge.

If anyone would be willing to lend us her/his expertise we would much appreciate it.

Specifications for the map follows.

Link to pre-battle discussion thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28962

Grey Knight
2006-12-07, 08:36 PM
If any one is reading this and would like to make a map who is not playing then what we would like for the map would be a large room/staidum, walls and or trees to take cover by and some kind of cave or stucture to take cover under so as to not have to always worry about fly mages with fireballs (I like the cave idea).

The arena I typically run for a battle is a 200 foot ring with a 30 foot roof. There is a 50 foot radius forest in the center with underbrush and shadows enough to hide.

I liked the previous suggestion of having a forest in the middle ... a huge cavern with a big forest of dimly glowing mushrooms (low light conditions in the arena) in the center growing all the way to the roof (so you can't just fly over it using an item and still get a spell off).

I did have an idea for this once myself though, basically Doom as the arena. There would be a citadel. All the players would enter at a different point. Just like Doom as well, there would be monsters in the way too to add some 3rd party flavor. Last one standing wins (which because of the monsters could be none). There would also be secret rooms to discover with magic. That would help out the rogue and ranger. In the end, none of my friends were interested in competition D&D though, so I dropped the idea.

Arena size should be quite big, say 300*300*200 ft and not nessicarily be a level field, since that would make it more interesting.... or not.

These are the map specification ideas from that thread, right?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-08, 02:39 AM
Yes, those are the ideas that have been tossed around in the thread.

They are not very consistent, but might serve as inspiration.

Medieve
2006-12-11, 12:42 PM
I posted my interest in the official topic.

Really, I just need confirmation of the arena's dimensions or would you be fine with it being my decision?