PDA

View Full Version : Online D&D game

kreenlover
2013-07-05, 06:14 PM
So, a lot of people run games via a post I think?
They start up a post, and everyone says what their actions are each round. Anyone have any advice on how to make one, or how one works?

This is because my regular groups are all falling apart during this summer, so I was wanting to start one.

Barsoom
2013-07-05, 06:24 PM
So, a lot of people run games via a post I think?
They start up a post, and everyone says what their actions are each round. Anyone have any advice on how to make one, or how one works?

This is because my regular groups are all falling apart during this summer, so I was wanting to start one.

We have a forum for that! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)

Kudaku
2013-07-05, 06:29 PM
What you're describing is commonly referred to as Play by Post-games. They're common and usually quite easy to get into but they have some drawbacks - namely that they tend to move slowly and that if you don't pick the right players and the right GM, the campaigns tend to disband when people lose interest or stop posting as frequently.

Another option could be to use Virtual Tabletop software to join or run a game without having to physically meet up - Roll20.net would be an example. These games can be harder to find and get into, but they tend to run smoother since they play very similarly to traditional tabletop RPGs - everyone "meets up" online at a predesignated time and play for however long they've set aside.

137beth
2013-07-05, 06:52 PM
The biggest advantage to pbp over chat, webcam, or virtual table is that a pbp game moves at your own pace. If you don't have a regular 4-hour time-slot at the same time every week that everyone can agree on, you can still do a pbp game.

nedz
2013-07-05, 06:58 PM
I've tried to join three games. I signed up, generated a character, and then nothing...
PbP seems to have a high risk of failure to launch.

137beth
2013-07-05, 08:41 PM
I've tried to join three games. I signed up, generated a character, and then nothing...
PbP seems to have a high risk of failure to launch.

Indeed.
Paizo's pbp forum seems a bit better than this one. It also allows you to keep a record of all your current and previous pbp games on your profile, so if someone is starting a game, you can see if they are the kind of person who lets games die early, which makes it a little easier.