PDA

View Full Version : Reach Rules and cover

Shoelessme
2013-07-05, 09:32 PM
Hello,
I am trying to track down some rules for reach weapons.

If the above numbers represent a 5 ft grid. A with a long spear on 4 tries to stab C on 6. But there is also B on 5. All three are medium creatures
A friend found something in the PHB that says C has cover from B against A. (I am not sure where he found this but I think its somewhere near pg 138 PHB)

My questions.
1) Can you tell me where this is?
EDIT: pg 150-152 PHB "When making a melee attack against a target that isn't adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks."
and also
"Soft Cover: Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against melee attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check."
2) Does it matter if B is friendly or not?
EDIT: apparently not as seen above from soft cover
3) Does the size of any of the participants change anything? IE two large creatures with a small creature in between?
EDIT: "Big Creatures and Cover: Any creature with a space larger than 5 feet (1 square) determines cover against melee attacks slightly differently than smaller creatures do. Such a creature can choose any square that it occupies to determine if an opponent has cover against its melee attacks. Similarly, when making a melee attack against such a creature, you can pick any of the squares it occupies to determine if it has cover against you."
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070731a

Please link me page numbers on your answers.

Shoelessme
2013-07-05, 09:47 PM
A big creature takes up 8 5x5x5 (or 1 10x10x10) cubes right? Medium and small take up 1 5x5 cube. So would you always have a free line to hit a large creature as the top of your cube to the top of theirs is always a straight line and it is higher than a medium or small creature between you?