PDA

View Full Version : Dervish Question

Lanson
2013-07-06, 12:55 PM
So, if I were to make my current fighter take 1 level into monk, then go into Dervish, and gave him the lightning mace feat, and the roundabout kick feat with two +1 Aptitude scimitars, and a +1 Aptitude spiked Gauntlet all with keen cast on them, (whether through our party wizard, or the Scabbard or keen oil)

Would that be as good for crit-fishing or should I just leave out the monk + roundabout kick combo since it delays entry with only a questionable gain?

Also, are there any other ways in 3.5 to increase threat range of a weapon, and more good feats/manuvers that give you more attacks on a crit?

BerronBrightaxe
2013-07-07, 03:37 PM
So, if I were to make my current fighter take 1 level into monk, then go into Dervish, and gave him the lightning mace feat, and the roundabout kick feat with two +1 Aptitude scimitars, and a +1 Aptitude spiked Gauntlet all with keen cast on them, (whether through our party wizard, or the Scabbard or keen oil)

Would that be as good for crit-fishing or should I just leave out the monk + roundabout kick combo since it delays entry with only a questionable gain?

Also, are there any other ways in 3.5 to increase threat range of a weapon, and more good feats/manuvers that give you more attacks on a crit?

Only thing specific which comes to mind is that you should get a lvl from a class from ToB, and get the 'Blood in the Water' stance. A +1 untyped and stacking bonus is very nice for a build like this. I'm sure there are plenty of posts on crit-fishers on this site and considering I can't find the search button on this site... :smallwink:

Keep in mind that you need to wield only slashing weapons (thus you can't use a spiked gauntlet) while in the Dervish Dance. Use a kukri (or another scimitar, if you can get your DM to agree).

Lanson
2013-07-07, 06:05 PM
Well, the spiked gauntlet counts as an unarmed strike, so I was thinking since the Roundabout kick forces you to make an unarmed strike, if it was also an aptitude weapon it would set off lightning mace as well. I missed the part where it specifies bladed weapons, so that's out anyhow, thank you though for clearing that up

shaikujin
2013-07-07, 07:43 PM
I believe there's at least 1 type of gauntlet that gives slashing damage - Gauntlet of Talons (sp?). Should help you even if you don't activate the relic function.

For increasing threat range, the normal ways are using the updated 3.0 Disciple of Dispater (sp?), psionic weapon master, one of the Barbarian ACF.

To have weapon qualify as both iron and crystal, the a material called Riedan Crysteel (sp?).

There's also a weapon of legend that doubles threat range against creatures smaller than you. And it specifically stacks with certain crit increases.

Also, dolorous blow spell or blessed scabbard or warblade for auto confirming crits.

Waker
2013-07-08, 03:19 AM
Note that the Monk dip isn't that bad. The class has some very useful stuff to grab in the first few levels, including having Perform on the skill list. A funny feat for this build is Versatile Unarmed Strike which lets you deal bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage with UAS. I suggest this because the idea of a kung-fu master dancing around and spin kicking people in half makes me laugh.

Lanson
2013-07-08, 09:26 AM
I believe there's at least 1 type of gauntlet that gives slashing damage - Gauntlet of Talons (sp?). Should help you even if you don't activate the relic function.

For increasing threat range, the normal ways are using the updated 3.0 Disciple of Dispater (sp?), psionic weapon master, one of the Barbarian ACF.

To have weapon qualify as both iron and crystal, the a material called Riedan Crysteel (sp?).

There's also a weapon of legend that doubles threat range against creatures smaller than you. And it specifically stacks with certain crit increases.

Also, dolorous blow spell or blessed scabbard or warblade for auto confirming crits.
I think my DM would lose it if I did all that, I've already been the most optimized character in the last few games I've played with him as DM, he'd say I'll outstrip everyone else, even though the group is mostly casters with the exception of me. Doesn't believe the casters in our group are that good though, since they (and he) thinks damage is the gauge to measure by.
Note that the Monk dip isn't that bad. The class has some very useful stuff to grab in the first few levels, including having Perform on the skill list. A funny feat for this build is Versatile Unarmed Strike which lets you deal bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage with UAS. I suggest this because the idea of a kung-fu master dancing around and spin kicking people in half makes me laugh.
Actually, this fixes my build, totally slipped my mind about the Versatile unarmed strike. Was thinking taking the 5 levels in fighter, (dear god, I feel dirty just saying that) picking up 1 in Dervish, then the 1 in monk and back to dervish. I can probably save feats though if I take the passive way monk variant to gain my combat expertise through that.
Correction. Fighter 4, passive way 2, grants me combat expertise and improved trip. I can pick up high sword low axe later on and do all sorts of Shenanigans with those 3 feats combined. Will just take a while for it to come together, high point will be around lvl 9 I think, once I have access to the vitals for the build.
Human Fighter
Human: Twf
F1: Weapon Focus (Light Mace)
F2: Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
3: Weapon Focus (Battleaxe(can be prerequisite axe))
F4: Dodge
Monk1: Combat Expertise
Monk2: Improved Trip
6: Mobility
9 Lightning Mace
12 High sword, low axe

Zanfire
2013-07-08, 11:37 AM
Cobra strike monk 2 will give you the feat pre reqs for dervish and if your looking at aptitude and tob already maybe two levels of bloodclaw master to negate twf penalties.

Lanson
2013-07-08, 11:44 AM
That's even better, would free up some feat slots for me to toy around with if I don't go down tripping line. Much better than burning two for dodge and mobility. DM is allowing enhancements from ToB, but he's a little reluctant to allow the classes and stances since nobody else has even looked them over.

Zanfire
2013-07-08, 03:01 PM
if not bloodclaw master then maybe tempest to reduce the penalties? besides fighter there are a few interesting entry points ive seen:
monk - dodge/mobility
swashbuckler - int/dex synergy
barbarian - whirling frenzy, pounce & improved trip
ranger - twf
scout - skirmish
totemist - galorians claws

you might have guessed im working on a dervish myself lol