PDA

View Full Version : [Domain] Honor

The_Ferg
2006-12-08, 12:30 AM
I was going through the PHB and I realized that there is no domain to fit "honor" or "valor", etc. So, here, I've made one. This may have been done already, but I haven't seen it (albeit, I've not looked that hard to find it).

HONOR DOMAIN
Deities (PHB only): Heironeous, Moradin, Pelor, and St. Cuthbert
Granted Power: Use inspire courage one per day as the bard.
Honor Domain Spells:
1 Shield of Faith: Aura grants +2 or higher deflection bonus.
2 Shield Other: You take half of subject's damage.
3 Prayer: Allies +1 on most rolls, enemies -1 penalty.
4 Divine Power: You gain atttack bonus, +6 to Str, and 1 hp/level.
5 Righteous Might: Your size increases, and you gain combat bonuses.
6 Heroism, Greater: Gives +4 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks; immunity to far; temporary hp.
7 Repulsion: Creatures can't approach you.
8 Protection from Spells: Confers +8 resistance bonus.
9 Miracle: Requests a deity's intercession.

Okay, critique away.

Balesirion
2006-12-08, 01:27 AM
Think there's something in Complete Warrior something like this, but I can't really remember.

icke
2006-12-08, 06:12 AM
HONOR DOMAIN
Deities (PHB only): Heironeous, Moradin, Pelor, and St. Cuthbert

You should leave Pelor out of the throng, he's not that honorable to give the domain to him...

The_Ferg
2006-12-08, 11:14 AM
I put Pelor in because I didn't want this domain to stick to just the lawful deities. You can be nonlawful and still be honorable. Han Solo, for instance (at least, eventually).

Mewtarthio
2006-12-09, 02:29 AM
You can be nonlawful and have some sort of honor, but to actually devote your life to honor you'd have to be lawful. It doesn't make any sense for, say, a Chaotic cleric to have the honor domain.

MandibleBones
2006-12-09, 09:57 AM
As I see it, honor is a sense of justice and compassion - something all Good heroes should be able to achieve, despite differences on the Law/Chaos axis. Lawful creatures should be BETTER at it than Chaotic creatures, but look at me and tell me Robin Hood (the textbook CG character) wasn't honorable.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-09, 11:35 AM
You can be Evil and still have honor. Not Chaotic Evil, but Lawful Evil works just fine. Sure, you can view other people as resources to be expendend, but you can still keep your word, spare defeated enemies, hold the door for the ladies, etc for reasons other than "I need to look good in front of everyone else."

As for being Chaotic, honor implies a respect for traditions and a following of a certain code, whereas chaos implies more pragmatism, judging each event on its own merits. If you're Chaotic Good, you're still always fighting for Good, but you should be willing to abandon your code of honor in lieu of the greater good.

MandibleBones
2006-12-09, 10:28 PM
If you're Chaotic Good, you're still always fighting for Good, but you should be willing to abandon your code of honor in lieu of the greater good

Sometimes true, but it's also a possibility that one's code of honor doesn't jive with traditional law, either (also a possibility for a LE Code of Honor).

The_Ferg
2006-12-10, 02:06 AM
Well, all alignment debates aside (I hate goose chases), how is the domain itself?

TheOOB
2006-12-10, 02:22 AM
Pelor really isn't big on honor, he cares about healing, compassion, and killing undead and evil outsiders, it helps to know your greyhawk lore a little.

Anyways, the granted ability of the domain is a little problamatic. First you don't mention what your effective bard level for the ability is, and second you have both heroism and greater heroism in the domain, which essentially are the same thing. The spell list is mostly good, though i don't see how the last three spells fit into the mix.

Triaxx
2006-12-10, 02:22 PM
Honor doesn't necessarily mean good, or evil, or even lawful. Honor is an entirely seperate concept. Evil Knights may be just as honorable as their Good counterparts, as demonstrated in the Dragonlance series, and settings, as well as other sources.

I'd assume the 'Inspire Courage' ability would function using caster level.

Winged One
2006-12-10, 02:57 PM
I'd suggest giving it to Kord instead of Pelor. Maybe also Hextor.

Also, does the domain power ever improve to Inspire Greatness and that sort of thing?

Mewtarthio
2006-12-10, 03:25 PM
How do those last three spells fit in thematically?

Triaxx
2006-12-10, 06:30 PM
Repulsion: My holier-than-thou attitude drives my enemies away.

Protection from Spells: I must defend myself from intrusion, even by magic.

Miracle: All else has failed, time to pray. (That spell always makes me think of Spaceballs. )