PDA

View Full Version : The Games of Divinity

mad_brewer
2013-07-06, 09:33 PM
Games of Divinity

Light shines brightest in the dark.

Introduction:

The celestial battle between all things has since the dawn of time. For eons the deities and their divine servants fought, trying to prove that their essense was superior to all others. But the war could not concluded, not while the combatants were divine, and children of the Creator.

However, one day, the deities halted the expansion of their home realms, and collaborated towards an experiment, one where they combined all their domains into one realm. That plane is known by many names. The Final Work, or Ultimus, and occasionally, the Material Plane. Its purpose; to end divine strife by having an aspect prove its supremacy in a neutral world. It didn't take long for the divines to begin to refine this new plane, shaping the environment with mountains and hills, seas and oceans. And shortly after, they began populating the realm with intelligent servants. Which they named mortals.

Initially, the first few were heavily dominant with one domain or another. Dwarves are heavily attuned to the earth, gnomes to luck and charm. But after many attempts, they finally managed make a mortal race with no parent domain. The deities were pleased, they were sure that this completely impartial race would determine the winner of the divine war, since the race had the potential to willingly align itself to any domain. The gods were very pleased indeed.

They named this race 'the Humans'.

Since then, the gods have retreated to their divine realms, and they have watched intently. Now Ultimus is drawing to its final age, and soon, a divine concept will challenge the cosmos.

What is the Games of Divinity setting?

Games of Divinity is a intended to be semi-dark high fantasy setting. In my terms, semi-dark means that the protagonists are morally ambiguous most of the time, or in simpler terms 'The good guys aren't necessarily good and the bad guys aren't necessarily evil'. An example of this is a struggle between rebel 'freedom-fighters' and loyal 'nationalists'. The rebels might be fighting for independence and freedom for all, while the loyalists might see them as anarchy and the loyalists might fight to maintain order and civility. As you can see, good and evil is mostly a matter of opinion. However, occasionally there will times were the bad guys are more obviously 'bad guys'. A demonic army assaulting the world for its complete destruction is obviously evil compared to the united people guarding there homeland. So that sums my view of semi-dark in my world. I must be clear though, horror is not a dominant genre for this setting, although it can be a major theme of a campaign if a GM wishes. Also, the setting is also intended to slowly introduce a sense of an impeding doom during play, which the characters might be forced to deal with. But again, this element could be excluded.

The other part of this world is the high fantasy part. This (again in my view) means actions from the antagonists and protagonists have serious effects and causes lasting changes. The world has a rich history behind it, and the future is uncertain thanks to multiple conflicting forces. Magic has a role here, as is the source of fantastic creatures such as dragons, orcs, elves, demons and many more. The heroes aren't usually brought into conflict by choice, instead they get involved because of circumstances and events. A village could be raided by bandits, for example, and implore a character to fight them. Overnight, his leadership qualities are discovered, and then is set to end the bandit problem across the land. Depending on his actions, he could end a massive organization of bandits only to unwittingly bring forward and even greater problem. As you can see, the world is very fickle.

But hey, this setting is meant to be enjoyed, not dictated. You can take a twist on the setting, or take chunks of this for a home campaign. I wouldn't mind! As long as you don't sell my work or claim any of my stuff as your own, do whatever you want!

mad brewer's notes: Through out this I will add sections called mad brewer's notes. They are not a description of the world, rather they are notes which explain or clarify my setting (hopefully).

mad_brewer
2013-07-06, 09:35 PM
The World

'Don't you see? We're just pawns, playthings of the gods! I want my life to have more meaning than that!'
Drorios, Liberator of Men

(under construction)

Games of Divinity

The Games of Divinity are another way for a deity to spread their influence over the material plane, without physically interfering. A 'Game' is started when a deity transfers the tiniest sliver of their divine essence into a mortal host, granting them vast powers normally above them. A deity will do this in hopes of using to mortal to spread their domain over the material. If a deity receives more followers or control over the Material plane, he/she will become stronger.

The Purpose of Ultimus, the Final Work
Simply put, the Material Plane is a gambit that all gods participated in(except the Creator). When the Creator created the ideas it had (including domains like Good, Magic, Warfare etc), it made them all equal. Happy with his work, he retreated to his private realm, and has since fallen into a deep sleep. Naturally, as the domains and their patron god interacted with each other, conflicts began. At first these were minor, mostly disputes between opinions. However over time these have evolved to mass battles between the divine. After much time, the gods noticed that no one was making any meaningful progress.

But tension must be released in one form or another. Unfortunately, most decided that this would be war.

So that is why the material plane was created. As the only mildly neutral plane in the cosmos, it would be an excellent chance for the 'strongest' domain to assume control. If any managed to control it a second plane, it would finally resolve the divine strife, and the 'rightful' leader of the universe would emerge.

That is, if there is one.

Magic,a Source of Power

Deities, Divines and Planes

1. The Prime Powers
The Prime Powers are the first 13 deities the Creator gave form to. They heavily dominant a few aspects, and universally they are the deities with the most influence and servants on the material plane. As a result, one of the Primes' primary domain(s) is most likely the win the Games of Divinity.

Asteria
Tanit
Vikramaditya
Orobas
Maahes
Glasya-Labolas
Shax
Xaphan

2. The Creator

mad_brewer
2013-07-06, 09:36 PM
Campaigns in Equrium

'You can sail north to Korlash, to explore the New World. West to Totalium, where the empire was born. South to Roshim, the foreign nation away from the mainland. East, where none have walked before.'
Captain Gerad, of the Many Lands

(under construction)

What is Equirum?

Equirum. A world constantly in conflict with itself. This is the world you live in, whether you take an active part in its future is up to you. Be warned, however. Even the most passive, indecisive person will be trapped in the fate of the world, it is only a matter of time. Secret cults of forgotten deities lurk in the shadows, waiting for an epithany. Valorous knights are slain in battle by their former brothers in arms, gloriously or not, their lives are stolen. Mages find secrets buried in the earth, and unleash a terrible force. Knowledge. This is the world you live in. Will you take a stand?

Mountains, swamps, ocean, forest, tundra and desert are found here. Civilizations seek to control nature, but can one really? Forces of darkness and evil plague the land. Orc tribes are forever locked in battle with human kind, an ancient grudge they do not understand. The elves weep at the remnants of their homeland, for a demonic blight scars the land, and makes it bleed death. The dwarves dig deeper than they ever have, or ever dared.

But few in number are heroes, born with a divine blessing or a dark curse. They are the ones who write fate and destroy the concept of destiny, which all things are bound to. They are the ones who would wage war against the incoming age. The age of the end.

mad_brewer's notes: Equirum is a region in Ultimus. This is where I will devote most of of my time towards developing, as it will include generated continents, nations, people, monsters, quest hooks etc. What is the point of developing both a region and an outline for the world? Well, where as Equirum would be more of a traditional setting, Ultimus would be just a set of guidelines that makes the world tick. So in case you like the idea for the Games of Divinity but dislike the other material I made, it will be a bit easier.

Nations and Citystates

The Nations of Men
Totalium, a militaristic republic which has expanded quickly thanks to its superior millitary.

Roshim, a philosophical caste government that is ruled by powerful psykers.

Altaroc, a tribalistic and spiritualistic nation which features a mysterious order of druids.

Gaveran, a nomadic monarchy with noble knights and righteous paladins.

The Elven Kingdoms

Travinka, a shattered magocracy whose landscapes' have been destroyed and corrupted by a demonic invasion.

Woodhelm, which features a nocturnal society concealed by a seemingly endless forest.

The Dwarven Strongholds

Norinal, an artisan society ruled by a noble class who commonly trade their flesh for metallic upgrades.

Rokator, a wandering civilazation of former duergar who fleed from their evil brothers and have since wandered for a new home.

Minor States

Korlash, the newest country recently settled by a large expedition of half-orcs and half-elves.

Tinker-Ring, located on a wheel-like island, crafty gnomes do what they do best.

Races and Cultures
Sun Elves

History of the Sun Elves

"Our homeland was once beautiful. We tended our land as its guardians, and in turn the land in-trusted us with its treasures. But on that day, our land was invaded, and we failed as a people to guard our home. Now, we have nothing but crumbling ruins and broken visions of what was meant to be. But we will return to greatness. We must. It is our birthright." Alkaren, last of the Dawnbreaker line.

The Legend:

The sun elves of Travinka have a hazy origin. Legend states that the sun elves were once a faction drow who disagreed with the tyranny of drow rule, especially their attitude to non-nobles. A civil war between the two ideologies fought, and unfortunately the rebels were too few in number to achieve any meaningful victories. On the verge of total annihilation, the leader of the rebels, Ezrukiel-len Dawnbreaker had one last gambit for his people to survive. They were to flee to the surface, an idea that seemed suicidal to most drow at the time due to the harsh sunlight and uncertainty of the environment above. But Erzukiel had no choice, and he inspired his follow kin to carve a new empire for themselves. Above.

The Dusk break from Dawn:

So one day, the renegade drow burst through the caverns of the underdark to the surface world . At first most of the drow had trouble looking at their surroundings due to the overstimulation of their eyes thanks to the sunlight. Some of the elves lost confidence in Dawnbreaker's plan to live in the sunlight, and they requested to break off from main group to live in the shadows. Ezrukiel-len considered this for a moment. He remembered that many off them had abandoned their families and risked their lives for his cause, and he decided that they should have the freedom to decide their own path. At night a third of his followers left the group to travel south, but not before pledging an oath to repay Ezrukiel and his people for his generosity. Those who left became the first Dusk Elves, adopting their culture to the night and shadows, and currently they reside in the land of Woodhelm.

Travinka's founding:

After resting a night and having the ancestors of the dusk elves travel south, the sun elves observed their surroundings. They noticed that all around them was hills and mountains, in a part of the land that would be north in modern day Totalium. Deeming the land unsuitable for settling, Erzukiel decided to push his people north, where he thought he could find better land. Some of the elves adapted to the environment very quickly, and formed a somewhat mystical bond to the land. They became the first rangers, and they greatly aided other sun elves to survive in the harsh mountainous terrain.
Currencies and Economies

Characters
Captain Gerad

Ezrukiel-len Dawnbreaker

Drorios, Liberator of Men
Monsters and Environment

Timeline

Maps

Glossary

mad_brewer
2013-07-06, 09:39 PM
Extra reserved post, just in case.

That's all the space I need, I think.

Sabeki
2013-07-07, 11:06 AM
Though this post my be a bit premature, this looks like a good idea. However considering these are games of divinity you should probably include a list of the deities in the setting.

mad_brewer
2013-07-07, 02:07 PM
I have the majority of my ideas in place, I just need to format them in a way that's readable :smallbiggrin:. Everything will be in place soon.