PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Creating a Pocket Blizzard

theonesin
2013-07-06, 10:08 PM
I'm trying to make an ice-based blaster mage, and I want to make use of several feats from Frostburn that help with that. These feats require you to be in an area of cold temperature(at least between 40 and 0 degrees).

The obvious problem is that this doesn't work so well outside of Frostburn, so I'm trying to think of ways to bring the cold with me. I did come across the Control Temperature spell, which with a little cold resistance or cold-weather clothing, would keep me immune from the effects when I'm in it. This spell has a 20cu. ft radius aura though, and I don't want it affecting my allies. I considered the Sculpt Spell feat to turn it into a 10ft cylinder, but it still leaves an aura. Lastly, a friend mentioned I could turn it into a line effect and shoot it straight up or not. While this makes it not hit anyone else, it costs me a higher-level spell slot, so I'd like to avoid it.

Does anyone know a way to generate an area of cold temperature, but only on my own person, so as not to affect anyone else?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-06, 11:47 PM
This gets into minor homebrew, but consider a cold-adapted Walker in the Waste (from Sandstorm). At 3rd level everything within 20' of you increases the temperature either two steps or to hot, whichever is hotter. In the cold version it'd drop either two steps or to cold, whichever is hotter. You can suppress it for a round as a free action, so no one has to suffer from it, but you have it when you need it.

theonesin
2013-07-08, 11:51 AM
It's an interesting idea, but I'd kinda like to avoid homebrew if possible(even if this one is just adapting it to another element).

Jack_Simth
2013-07-08, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know a way to generate an area of cold temperature, but only on my own person, so as not to affect anyone else?
Not specifically. However:
One of the Archmage High Arcana options (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) is useful for you:

Mastery of Shaping

The archmage can alter area and effect spells that use one of the following shapes: burst, cone, cylinder, emanation, or spread. The alteration consists of creating spaces within the spell’s area or effect that are not subject to the spell. The minimum dimension for these spaces is a 5-foot cube. Furthermore, any shapeable spells have a minimum dimension of 5 feet instead of 10 feet. This ability costs one 6th-level spell slot.

A lesser version that you can get earlier is Extraordinary Spell Aim (Complete Adventurer, p. 109) which lets you except one ally.

And, of course, if the effect just makes the area cold, Endure Elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) lasts 24 hours, and allows the subject to "exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves)."

There's also Energy Immunity (Spell Compendium), or you could burn a lot of Resist Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resistEnergy.htm) spells, or maybe just issue everyone Rings of Energy Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#energyResistance).

shortround
2013-07-08, 01:12 PM
And, of course, if the effect just makes the area cold, Endure Elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) lasts 24 hours, and allows the subject to "exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves).".Worth looking into is the Dragon Fire Adept's invocation Endure Exposure, which lets you buff your whole party with the 24 hour duration Endure Elements. If you can take the dip or someone in your party hasn't decided on what they want to be, that could be worth looking into.

Jack_Simth
2013-07-09, 12:22 PM
Worth looking into is the Dragon Fire Adept's invocation Endure Exposure, which lets you buff your whole party with the 24 hour duration Endure Elements. If you can take the dip or someone in your party hasn't decided on what they want to be, that could be worth looking into.
It's also just a 1st level spell. As Control Temperature is 3rd level, you can probably spam Endure Elements on the party without much trouble anyway as soon as you'd be wanting to try this.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-09, 05:18 PM
It's also just a 1st level spell. As Control Temperature is 3rd level, you can probably spam Endure Elements on the party without much trouble anyway as soon as you'd be wanting to try this.

It also has no effect based on CL, so just get a wand. For a standard party of five (including you), it'll cost 60 GP a day to ward your party.

Eurus
2013-07-09, 08:53 PM
Persistent Aura of Cold? I assume that if it's cold enough to be dealing energy damage to people, it's definitely below freezing.

kreenlover
2013-07-09, 09:31 PM
Get: Immunity Cold
Feat: Energy substitution: Cold
Spell: Acid Fog (or some such)

Aaaaand, there you go, killingly cold temperatures surrounding you and your enemies (of course that does affect your allies)

alternatively:
Class: Barbarian 1
PrC: Rage Mage
Feat: Frozen Rage
PrC: Frostrager

Then, when you spell rage, you freeze over in icicles :smallbiggrin:
This allows you to cast spells, get that cold needing feat, and good to go :smallwink:

Although, by RAW and RAI, these are both kinda...not working. But, you know, its good as a joke option :smalltongue: