PDA

View Full Version : 10 hd shapechange

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-06, 11:11 PM
in a campaign I'm part of, the dm has determined that setting the max hd of shapechange to 10 is a good fix. Because of this, I'm now looking for good forms of 10 or less hd to give various nice abilities. I have already identified arcons and a 10 headed hydra as good forms.

as a bit of extra info: the PCs are all dragons and the campaign is in the epic levels. I am a brass: monk/swordsage

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-06, 11:16 PM
If you mean Shapechange as the spell, Chokers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm) are awesome to tell the Action economy to sit down in the corner.

Humble Master
2013-07-06, 11:18 PM
If you want to break the game Efreeti's 3 wishes per day could work.

Don't forget to dodge the thrown DMG if you do this however.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-06, 11:19 PM
yes, as the spell. full attack and a manouver, I could have some fun with a choker.

edit: and I'd prefer not to break the game THAT badly.

Humble Master
2013-07-06, 11:31 PM
yes, as the spell. full attack and a manouver, I could have some fun with a choker.

edit: and I'd prefer not to break the game THAT badly. Thank you for not breaking the game. You have made DM's smile :smallbiggrin: Also what Monster Manuals do you have access to?

Some other cool monsters you could do from the standard Monster Manual:

Choker - Said before but it is really good. With maneuvers you can get in some truly ridiculous combos.
Blink Dog - Dimensional Door and Blink as a free action (caster level 8). This can be pretty boss if you use it correctly.
Wight - Get an Undead army, free of charge.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-06, 11:34 PM
Blink Dog might be a good option if you get Sun School, add in snap kick and you get 2 attacks every time you use dimension door (there is a planar touchstone that get's you a third attack; but I can't spell it).

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-06, 11:35 PM
for now, lets say all official WOTC publications are usable.

edit: and I'm focusing on shadow with a side in fang and some dabbling in others

Humble Master
2013-07-06, 11:50 PM
Blink Dog might be a good option if you get Sun School, add in snap kick and you get 2 attacks every time you use dimension door (there is a planar touchstone that get's you a third attack; but I can't spell it). Mix with Telflammar Shadow Lord and get 3 attacks and one Full Attack once per round. Man, that is an evil combination.

Flipping through Fiend Folio now:
Yellow Musk Creeper - Eat peoples brain to make them your plant zombie minions! ou only need polymorph for this one however.

Man, there are not that many monsters with 10 or fewer hit dice in Fiend Folio.

Jack_Simth
2013-07-06, 11:52 PM
If you want to break the game Efreeti's 3 wishes per day could work.Shapechange doesn't give spell-like abilities, which is what the Efreeti's ability to grant Wishes is.

Humble Master
2013-07-06, 11:53 PM
Shapechange doesn't give spell-like abilities, which is what the Efreeti's ability to grant Wishes is. Thank you, did not see that.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-07, 07:37 AM
without ending the previous question: what would be the best creature (within the pre-given guidelines) to not need to sleep, eat, or breathe?

The Viscount
2013-07-08, 10:39 AM
Any elemental or undead works for that.

Bane Wraith (HoH) is fun, as are the Atropal Scion, Voidwraith, and Plague Blight (all LM).

Bane Wraith is incorporeal and deals Wis drain, Atropal Scion has all sorts of goodies, Voidwraith is terrifying because it invokes the rules for suffocation, and the Plague Blight's Gangrenous touch is hilarious.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-08, 04:05 PM
which book is LM?

Karnith
2013-07-08, 04:08 PM
which book is LM?
Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad Latin Undead.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-08, 05:18 PM
Not a combat form by any means, but Will-O'-Wisp has Ex Invisibility, Immunity to Magic (or more accurately, infinite SR), perfect flight, and huge touch AC and initiative. Good for exploring or to be in prior to combat starting.

Nymph has some nice gaze attacks if you have high cha for setting the DC.

Wraith, or various other incorp. choices, is definitely useful. And can speak and take a human-shape (ie, hands), so no issues casting in that form.

Ethereal Filcher/Marauder for ethereal hopping.

Hound or Lantern Archon for at will Greater Teleport.

Just some stuff from core.