PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Cat Dungeon

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-07, 12:53 AM
So as my name suggests, I want to build the ultimate dungeon and fill it with feline(-like) creatures. I want the entire dungeon to somehow relate to cats including the final prize at the end of the dungeon. I was thinking about maybe having it be a pyramid and setting it in an Ancient Egypt setting. I have Deities and Demigods so I can look at those gods. I had an idea for a trap that sprays the PCs with shredded tuna flesh so the cats will be more attracted to them.

eggynack
2013-07-07, 12:56 AM
You are a person who is very devoted to the idea of a cat dungeon. It is an odd goal, I think, but perhaps a noble one. Anyways, here's a thing that is about cats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-07, 01:06 AM
I believe this is indeed a noble goal. Do you have access to the Dragon Compendium? It has a race in it called a Tibbit. They generally worship a god called the Cat Lord. The Cat Lord isn't fleshed out at all. You could use Deities and Demigods to flesh it out if you need to get more than it's a cat god that grants access to the domains: Chaos, Travel, ans Trickery. Tibbits are basically halflings that can turn into house cats. Although their fluff suggests that they originated as cat familiars. It's a good race if you want anything cat themed with character levels.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-07, 01:47 AM
I believe this is indeed a noble goal. Do you have access to the Dragon Compendium? It has a race in it called a Tibbit. They generally worship a god called the Cat Lord. The Cat Lord isn't fleshed out at all. You could use Deities and Demigods to flesh it out if you need to get more than it's a cat god that grants access to the domains: Chaos, Travel, ans Trickery. Tibbits are basically halflings that can turn into house cats. Although their fluff suggests that they originated as cat familiars. It's a good race if you want anything cat themed with character levels.

More potentially appropriate domains for the Cat Lord:

Animal
Bestial (BoVD)
Charm (SC)
City (City)
Death
Evil
Family (SC)
Feast
Fury (FC1)
Gluttony (SC)
Madness (SC)
Moon (SC)
Pain (BoVD)
Pleasure (BoED)
Pride (SC)
Protection
Repose (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Reposedomain&alpha=)
Sand (Sand)
Sloth (SC)

Of course, some of these are mutually exclusive. He probably shouldn't grant both Pain and Pleasure, nor Death and Family. Death and Feast are definitely compatible, on the other hand.

eggynack
2013-07-07, 01:50 AM
More potentially appropriate domains for the Cat Lord:

Animal
Bestial (BoVD)
Charm (SC)
City (City)
Death
Evil
Family (SC)
Feast
Fury (FC1)
Gluttony (SC)
Madness (SC)
Moon (SC)
Pain (BoVD)
Pleasure (BoED)
Pride (SC)
Protection
Repose (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Reposedomain&alpha=)
Sand (Sand)
Sloth (SC)

Of course, some of these are mutually exclusive. He probably shouldn't grant both Pain and Pleasure, nor Death and Family. Death and Feast are definitely compatible, on the other hand.
You left off the cat domain, which is on that page I linked. That's like, the most cat related domain in existence. :smallbiggrin:

mabriss lethe
2013-07-07, 01:54 AM
How serious do you want to make this? Because, you know, giant balls of yarn that function as Animate Rope traps. Little red dots that sizzle along the corridors (scorching rays) Things like that.

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 01:54 AM
The walls are carpeted. Lots of tubes and tunnels running along the wall and between rooms. A room full of catnip mist, lots of long drops and high jumps, water creation spells are impeded.

gurgleflep
2013-07-07, 02:05 AM
I feel there should be some form of food-source chambers. Birds, mice, catfood...

Jeff the Green
2013-07-07, 02:09 AM
I feel there should be some form of food-source chambers. Birds, mice, catfood...

...baleful polymorph traps.

gurgleflep
2013-07-07, 02:10 AM
...baleful polymorph traps.

I like the idea of that :smallamused:

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 02:12 AM
Massive litterboxes; black sand to contain and prevent odors

Crushing room traps only tiny creatures can escape

Hairball oozes

ArcturusV
2013-07-07, 02:16 AM
All flying creatures have an AC of Zero and no miss chances regardless of other effects... :smallbiggrin:

CRtwenty
2013-07-07, 02:36 AM
You are a person who is very devoted to the idea of a cat dungeon. It is an odd goal, I think, but perhaps a noble one. Anyways, here's a thing that is about cats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c).

Oh god... that is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. That made my day.

Jett Midknight
2013-07-07, 02:37 AM
Could always go with the classic Sphinx. Could be useful as a puzzle or a combat experience.

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-07, 02:54 AM
The Cat Lord isn't fleshed out at all.
The Cat Lord actually has a good bit of history going back, apparently, to the Monster Manual II (1983 publication, not the 3.5 book of the same name). This original version was male. The next version was female, appeared in Planescape, and is the version I'm most familiar with (possibly the best fleshed out version too, since she played a major role in a published adventure). Referenced in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix, Volume I, and the adventure Something Wild. The male version has made an appearance in 3rd Edition, in the Epic Level Handbook, and is apparently supposed to be a Greyhawk NPC; I don't know whether the original 1983 version was meant to be Greyhawk or not.

Curiously, the Dragon Compendium note on Tibbit religion is a bit confusing as to which one of these two versions it's referring to. It says the Cat Lord is viewed as a 'big brother' figure, but also mentions 'her favored weapon'.

BWR
2013-07-07, 05:08 AM
Are we talking just housecats or all felines?

Tvtyrant
2013-07-07, 12:20 PM
There was a thread a long while back that involved statting up a normal cat with templates to make it an unstoppable beast. My favorite form was using the Titanic Template from the MM II and the Phrenic Creature template from the SRD to get a gargantuan cat that still had an intelligence of 2 but could use Psychic Dominate as a psylike ability.

ArqArturo
2013-07-07, 12:23 PM
I cast symbol of insanity on this ball of yarn.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-07, 12:31 PM
There was a thread a long while back that involved statting up a normal cat with templates to make it an unstoppable beast. My favorite form was using the Titanic Template from the MM II and the Phrenic Creature template from the SRD to get a gargantuan cat that still had an intelligence of 2 but could use Psychic Dominate as a psylike ability.

...that's terrifying. :smalleek:

Agent 451
2013-07-07, 12:38 PM
The walls are carpeted.

Some of them could be covered in sisal rope (http://www.xlrope.com/en/UploadFiles/2012-09/2012090313321191767.jpg)!

gooddragon1
2013-07-07, 12:55 PM
I'm just wondering where Bhu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165573) is?

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-07, 01:04 PM
Have...we already forgotten Snuggles?

Jett Midknight
2013-07-07, 05:41 PM
Have...we already forgotten Snuggles?

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD!
MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

ArqArturo
2013-07-07, 06:59 PM
There's only person, well, halfling, that can traverse such dungeon...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9vo0tvxw71qcd5kxo1_500.jpg

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 07:12 PM
Traps with disease on them. Specifically: cat scratch fever

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-07, 07:19 PM
There's only person, well, halfling, that can traverse such dungeon...

Of course, he even has a cat to guide him. That might count as a cheating.

Arbane
2013-07-07, 07:37 PM
The final boss should be a Nekomancer.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-07, 07:51 PM
You don't know snuggles do you. You should look up snuggles... and never suggest that lame pun again. Unless of course it is accompanied by an awesome set of rules for cat based magic.

Edit: If you were physically next to me that would probably earn you a hit with the baka fan. For those wondering the baka fan is an anime inspired giant paper fan made out of poster stock. It doesn't actually hurt and my group has found it surprisingly effective at keeping us on topic in a lighthearted fashion.

CyberThread
2013-07-07, 07:57 PM
In a serious note,

You could do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharess#Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons_1st_edition_ .281977-1988.29

Sharess is a diety from forgotten realms, and while she is CG now, in the past she was CE and under Shar's control before she got freed and turned CG.

She was freed by a goddess name sune, which could be useable among your adventures also, if you need more back drop.

So the adventures would be like...

The cat goddess, under the sway of the goddess of the void/nothingness/darkness needs rescuing, the goddess of beauty inspires/sponsers you to action to save the trapped cat goddess.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-07, 08:32 PM
I had an idea for a trap that sprays the PCs with shredded tuna flesh so the cats will be more attracted to them.

You could have catnip mixed in there too. Seriously, my cat rolls around in that stuff like it was getting him high.

A component of the dungeon might be a giant version of one of those cat-structures in which which the party can find some treasure and hostile cats.

At least some of the columns in that place serve as giant scratching posts.

The boss might be a crazy cat-lady, who will defend her absurd number cats by firing angry housecats (using ordinary cat stats) out of a crossbow. If the crossbow scores a hit, the impact will deal a d6 of damage, and the cat will latch on to the target and attack him with its claws.

One trap might involve falling cats, who obviously take no damage from the fall.

Treasure ideas:

Cat toys made of expensive materials (gold things, silk toys, crystal food-bowl).
Mask of cat-commanding (forces a will save on all cats within 1 mile. If they fail, they serve the wearer and come to him. Rakshasa, Tibbits, and Displacer Beasts might be affected)
Spool of Endless Yarn.
Tin of the Fancy Feast (this tin can generates enough catfood to sustain 24 medium creatures, or 96 Tiny creatures, each day. It's catfood that tastes funny and makes you smell funny, so you'd have to be pretty desperate to actually eat from it)
Scratching Post of Mighty Claws (practicing on it for one hour gives +1 damage to natural attacks that deal Slashing damage for the next day)
A treasure chest packed full of adorable newborn kittens.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-07, 11:30 PM
Traps with disease on them. Specifically: cat scratch fever

Or Toxoplasma gondii.

A treasure chest packed full of adorable newborn kittens.

Bag of Endless Kittens!

gurgleflep
2013-07-08, 12:05 AM
Bag of Endless Kittens!

Hey now, it's to soon to let the cat outta the bag!

CyberThread
2013-07-08, 12:10 AM
http://cl.jroo.me/z3/x/3/R/c/a.aaa.jpeg

ArqArturo
2013-07-08, 12:21 AM
This threat has reached catastrophic levels.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-08, 12:32 AM
This thread is proof that the internet, cats, and serious discussion can't happen at the same time.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-08, 02:12 AM
This thread is proof that the internet, cats, and serious discussion can't happen at the same time.

There's got to be a cat care forum somewhere dedicated to feline-related serious business.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-08, 02:20 AM
There's got to be a cat care forum somewhere dedicated to feline-related serious business.

That's on the artificially enforced white side of the internet. We're on the more natural grey side. There are more sides to the internet like the 4chan on the unenforced dark side, and the stupid side which will remain nameless and undescribed for various reasons.

gurgleflep

Wouldn't that just be purr-fect?

Zombimode

Sure, but they will probably lynch you when you seek help to create a cat themed dungeon which will ultimately be razed an its inhabitants slaughtered by the PCs.

Thurbane
2013-07-08, 02:22 AM
For the end boss, or near the end level, Catfolk (MH/RotW) Sorcerer (or other Cha based caster) with the Tainted Raver (HoH) template? Or maybe a gish? Same CR as the base caster, with permanent rage, and +4 Dex, -6 Wis and +8 Cha. Fast Healing 4 as well.

You could also throw the Cheshire Cat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) in there too.

And although it never got an official 3.X update, I'm a big fan of the Nonafel (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=668) (Cat-O'-Nine-Tails).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-08, 02:28 AM
Just realized, catfolk werecats are possible.

CyberThread
2013-07-08, 02:37 AM
tibbit weredog?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-08, 02:44 AM
tibbit weredog?

Tibbits are monstrous humanoids so unfortunately no.

Thurbane
2013-07-08, 02:59 AM
Just realized, catfolk werecats are possible.
Catfolk Werelynx with levels in Primeval (Dire Lion), and Wild Cohort (Leopard)?

Actually, just realized, Catfolk couldn't be a werecat, since they are medium and a cat is tiny. Werelynx would work though.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-08, 03:18 AM
Catfolk Werelynx with levels in Primeval (Dire Lion), and Wild Cohort (Leopard)?

Actually, just realized, Catfolk couldn't be a werecat, since they are medium and a cat is tiny. Werelynx would work though.

The werecat template from lost empires of fearun would be perfect for that. Just add in the damage reduction like you would if you created the template from scratch. Why did they skip that?

Edit: the werecat template is made with a lynx sized houscat (small) so it does work. Seriously though why would they try and say its based off a house cat? probably because they don't have a small cat that isn't a cheetah, or do they? They are described as small wildcats though.

Debihuman
2013-07-08, 12:07 PM
I have some cat related stuff linked in my creations. Feel free to use what you like (caterwaul (different from the WotC version), Schrodinger's cat, Fluffy the doomcat, etc.).

Also there's a pdf of Bhu's cat burglar stuff around somewhere.

Are you interested in wemics, sphinx and other cat-like creatures?

Debby

Arbane
2013-07-08, 02:09 PM
You call that a bad pun? I've got worse where THAT came from! :smallbiggrin:

Toss in Pathfinder's Missing Lynx (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/missing-lynx).

And maybe a catoblepas.

And a water area. With giant catfish.

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 02:15 PM
Hmm, now how do we stat the Thundercats?

Dayaz
2013-07-08, 02:45 PM
Hmm, now how do we stat the Thundercats?

Pretty sure the Thundercats are just Catfolk with levels

CyberThread
2013-07-08, 03:08 PM
THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER CATS HOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214885

zilonox
2013-07-08, 03:24 PM
Hairball oozes

Being a poly-cat owner, I both laughed and wretched at the thought of being attacked by one of these. :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2013-07-08, 03:33 PM
HP Lovecraft did some good stuff with cats. The Cats of Ulthar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar)

The Rats in the Walls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_in_the_Walls) contains this lovely (and public domain) quote:

Through all this horror my cat stalked unperturbed. Once I saw him monstrously perched atop a mountain of bones, and wondered at the secrets that might lie behind his yellow eyes

If you can't make anything out of those two stories night-gaunts will tickle you mercilessly.

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-12, 07:42 PM
WOW! These are all great ideas! I'm glad everyone seemed to get so excited with my idea and gave me so many great concepts. After reading all your comments, I'll post a rough, abridged draft of what the dungeon will be like:

This temple lies in a remote region of a barren desert. It is protected by a power illusion. To by pass this, you must answer a riddle from a sphinx (need idea of a riddle). After answering said riddle, the path opens to a sunken valley. You soon see a pyramid, but the PCs also notice this part of the desert is also a large litter box for the guardian of the temple, a giant cat. After defeating the cat, you enter the dungeon and notice all the corridors are flooded with milk to make you more delicious for the cats inside. In order to advance, you must find a lever to lower the milk which is obstructing the path forward. As the PCs explore this floor of the dungeon, they must be careful as milk is opaque and there are small pits in the floor the PCs can fall into. Once the milk is cleared, the PCs enter a part of the dungeon that is completely cloaked in darkness. The oxygen is too thin to light torches, and magical light sources don’t work. In this section, the PCs will get attacked by felines, and the only way to detect them is to listen for the bells around their necks.

That's what I got so far. I was thinking of having a platforming section where you jump from on column to the next and the fall is 30 feet. Cats would leap down at this part onto the columns with you, but since they land on their feet, they won't get hurt. Another part would involve another giant cat. You enter his lair which is filled with giant yarn balls. The only to progress is through a door located at the top of the room. There are no stairs in the room, so you have to climb the yarn balls, but the cat bats them around making them smaller, so either escape the room quickly, or kill the cat. The baleful polymorph into fish/birds is also a good idea, but the fish/birds will be zombies/undead who were partially eaten by the cats. That's way it's more creepy knowing you're fighting former adventurers. The end boss could be a crazy old cat lady that's also a lich.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-12, 08:42 PM
all the corridors are flooded with milk to make you more delicious for the cats inside.

Fort save vs. Nausea after a few days of epic milk spillage?

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-13, 11:22 PM
Fort save vs. Nausea after a few days of epic milk spillage?

Nah, I wouldn't think. It'd be magically preserved so the cats inside can still drink from it. It's just meant to make you seem more delicious and create an obstacle.

Kerilstrasz
2013-07-14, 09:03 AM
Just something to think about before you start so your players don't catch you flatfooted...
what if the casters of the group use illusions or summon or polymorph themselves into big scary bloodthirsty dogs????

nice idea by the way :smallsmile: cat dungeon :smallbiggrin:

Razanir
2013-07-14, 09:08 AM
CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD!
MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

The final boss must be a Catfolk Cleric, with the Cat domain and your choice of second, who happens to be the High Priest of Snuggles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93068). (Oh heck, just make the dungeon itself the High Temple of Snuggles)

Arcanist
2013-07-14, 09:15 AM
The final boss must be a Catfolk Cleric, with the Cat domain and your choice of second, who happens to be the High Priest of Snuggles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93068). (Oh heck, just make the dungeon itself the High Temple of Snuggles)

Oh god! It's like the Tomb of Horror! With Cats! :smalleek:

... OH GOD IT'S THE TOMB OF HAIRBALLS!

BWR
2013-07-14, 09:57 AM
Now we just put this dungeon in Bellayne (http://www.pandius.com/bellayne-renardy-8.pdf)or on Myoshima (http://www.pandius.com/Myoshima.pdf)and we can play it perfectly straight.

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-14, 10:42 AM
Just something to think about before you start so your players don't catch you flatfooted...
what if the casters of the group use illusions or summon or polymorph themselves into big scary bloodthirsty dogs????

Which is why there'd be an enchantment to prevent this sort of thing over the entire dungeon.:smallwink:

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-14, 11:23 AM

nice idea by the way :smallsmile: cat dungeon :smallbiggrin:

In my experience cats go out of their way to attack dogs. My cat was very lucky that this one dog was so well trained, otherwise she would have been in trouble after whacking a dog about 10 times her size in the face as hard as she could (she was de-clawed so no scratches).

BWR
2013-07-14, 01:03 PM
In my experience cats go out of their way to attack dogs. My cat was very lucky that this one dog was so well trained, otherwise she would have been in trouble after whacking a dog about 10 times her size in the face as hard as she could (she was de-clawed so no scratches).

In my experience most cats run from big dogs, or just hiss and spit at them.
My father and some friends, when they were young, thought it would be fun to sic the German shepard one of them had on my father's cat. The cat leaped, put his front claws behind the ears of the dog and raked with his hind claws in the dog's eyes.
The dog was terrified of cats for life after that.

Razanir
2013-07-14, 05:32 PM
Oh god! It's like the Tomb of Horror! With Cats! :smalleek:

... OH GOD IT'S THE TOMB OF HAIRBALLS!

WE NEED TO MAKE THIS DUNGEON!

Pokonic
2013-07-14, 05:39 PM
There needs to be Yarn Balls of Oblivion being thrown around in a few places in the dungeon. There like orbs of oblivion, exept they do not effect cats or things associated with them. And they are mobile.

Kornaki
2013-07-14, 05:42 PM
There needs to be Yarn Balls of Oblivion being thrown around in a few places in the dungeon. There like orbs of oblivion, exept they do not effect cats or things associated with them. And they are mobile.

And cats will bat them at you for a ranged touch attack

Razanir
2013-07-14, 06:08 PM
And cats will bat them at you for a ranged touch attack

Although can we actually let people remove the shiny head-thingy from the room?

karkus
2013-07-14, 07:21 PM
Seriously, my cat rolls around in that stuff like it was getting him high.

But it does. (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=experts-how-does-catnip-work-on-cats)

Razanir
2013-07-14, 10:50 PM
I already have a room with giant yarn balls. I'd rather not reuse the concept. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hairballs of Oblivion?

Green is for sincerity, the opposite of blue sarcasm

Arcanist
2013-07-14, 10:59 PM
Hairballs of Oblivion?

Green is for sincerity, the opposite of blue sarcasm

Hairballs of Annihilation... It's the Tomb of Horror all over again :smalleek:

Gildedragon
2013-07-14, 11:59 PM
Anihilation or being trapped in a giant hairball
I think I take the former, thankyouverymuch

Valwyn
2013-07-15, 12:01 PM
You could get some ideas for your Crazy Cat Lady Lich boss/high priest from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291826). :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Chaotic Neutral Catfolk Druid 3/Wiz 3/Mystic Theurge 2/Arcane Heirophant 10/Mystic Theurge 2? Take some feats to improve your cat animal familiar.