PDA

View Full Version : Magic of Erfworld

Gralamin
2006-12-08, 02:00 AM
I would like to know more about how the magic of erfworld works, and what is the distinction between the different Mancers. Is this going to be revealed in the story, on the message board, or not at all?

RandomNPC
2006-12-08, 07:29 PM
apparently a *stuf* mancer controls magic for a very clasified field. findmancers fnd stuf, so a monkeymancer would have some cool monkey magic. exact spells or forcing raw magic to your will, im not so sure about yet.

pclips
2006-12-08, 07:48 PM
I'll answer this to a limited extent. There is a magic system in Erfworld and I know how it works. There is a combat system and I know how that works, too.

In the real world, you look at a pretty flower and see it... because discrete quanta of electromagnetic energy travelling as a wave reflect from the surface of the flower and are focused through the cornea and lens of your eyeball onto your retina, where the stimulation of specialized receptor cells transmits a mirror image of the flower through your optic nerve, and this signal is interpreted by the visual centers of your brain.

On the one hand, it's both interesting and important to know that.

On the other hand, it can get in the way of appreciating the flower.

The story will contain enough information to appreciate the story. Future resources will contain enough information to appreciate the world. :smallwink:

Learnedguy
2006-12-09, 02:48 PM
Well, when someone croaks they die, the croakamancer should thus be a necromancer, when we takes this stament as evidence. The skull on her clothes are also a dead giveaway <.<

Of course, she could also be some kind of healer, and the skull simply a friendly reminder to the patient about what would ahppen, if they try to die on her.

Torpedo Ted
2006-12-10, 04:44 PM
Here's what i'm assuming from the names:
predictomancer: can predict stuff
Findomancer: can find stuff
Croakamancer: Necromancer

Rex Idiotarum
2006-12-10, 04:50 PM
Know that light rays are what you are seeing of a flower doesn't make it any less beautiful, Knowing that pixels make up letters, which makes up words, which makes up clauses, which makes up sentences, which makes up paragraphs, which makes up a Speech, doesn't mean that the Speech is any less appreciated. Knowledge isn't a Curse, content ignorance is.

The honest illusionist
2006-12-10, 05:04 PM
Maybe a Croakamancer isn't a Necromancer. Maybe it's just your typical offensive spell caster. You know, a mage that casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down?

But Necromancer is a safe bet too.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-10, 05:25 PM
Given that Lord Stanley told her to "uncroak" the dead warlord, I would guess that she's not indeed, a necromancer, healer, or evoker.

She's quite obviously a croakamancer.

Brady_Kj
2006-12-10, 08:58 PM
Know that light rays are what you are seeing of a flower doesn't make it any less beautiful, Knowing that pixels make up letters, which makes up words, which makes up clauses, which makes up sentences, which makes up paragraphs, which makes up a Speech, doesn't mean that the Speech is any less appreciated. Knowledge isn't a Curse, content ignorance is.
Well, of course not. But explaining all those details before you start the speech is usually a bad idea.

tgva8889
2006-12-10, 10:03 PM
Well, she said "uncroaked infantry" at some point, which obviously means that they aren't croaked. Therefore, it means she wouldn't have to go uncroak them at some point, because they're already uncroaked.

Not sure what being croaked is. Maybe it just means you've been hit by a flying frog. That sure would be funny.

Larrin
2006-12-12, 02:58 PM
croak=died, uncroaked=undead, croakamancer = dead'o'mancer=necromancer. I think its VERY safe to say this is the general idea. I don't think the boss man is trying to make things overly complicated (a predictomancer will NOT have speacial powers only over apples for example). if anything he's trying to make it obvious what people do in a "cutsy" way. I mean, necro is latin, croak is english slang, both (kinda) mean the same thing. I expect that with a little puzzling, you should be able to get the simple gist of most names of mancers and other things that pop up. Don't look too deep, i predictomance these things are intentionally shallow.

the rest of the comic, though, will probably be layered kinda deep, save your puzzling power for that.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-12, 03:26 PM
I believe necro is more directly from the Greek, as one of the Latin verbs for "to kill" (neco, necare) is derived from it.

Erek Garnsfel
2006-12-13, 10:31 AM
there are also probably others like:
destroyamancer - destroys stuff
projectamancer - illusions
makeamancers - create objects
moveamancers - telekenisis
just a guess....

Gygaxphobia
2006-12-19, 10:36 AM
croak=died, uncroaked=undead, croakamancer = dead'o'mancer=necromancer. I think its VERY safe to say this is the general idea.

When I first read "uncroaked" I thought it meant "restore to life" but what you are saying makes more sense. I guess we will only know for certain when we first see an uncroaked legion.

the rest of the comic, though, will probably be layered kinda deep, save your puzzling power for that.

too true.

I want to see Burnamancers! Bustamancers and Breakamancers too if possible! :smallamused:

jami
2006-12-19, 11:10 AM
I want to see Burnamancers! Bustamancers and Breakamancers too if possible! :smallamused:

Breakamancers have funky fresh boom-boxes and fresh kicks! The own the dance floor!

Gygaxphobia
2006-12-19, 11:29 AM
Breakamancers have funky fresh boom-boxes and fresh kicks! The own the dance floor!

Oh noes! Where they go, Rapamancers soon follow. And we all know how much trouble they are:smallwink:

pclips
2006-12-19, 02:08 PM
It's a good thing I actually have the whole magic system worked out. For several reasons. :smallwink:

Ikkitosen
2006-12-19, 06:42 PM
It's a good thing I actually have the whole magic system worked out. For several reasons. :smallwink:

You can still probably expect the more prolific writers on this forum to come up with several classes based on different "-amancers", whether they're part of your system or not! :smallbiggrin:

Assassinfox
2006-12-19, 09:06 PM
In comic 2, Lord Manpower the warlord dies from getting shot in his right eye, and then Wanda gets the order to uncroak him. Near the beginning of the next comic, Wanda's riding on the back of a dwagon, accompanied by someone/something that looks suspiciously like the warlord, with green skin and an eyepatch over his right eye. I'm guessing that's the result of the "uncroaking" process.

Wallyz
2006-12-20, 12:12 AM
O RLY?

Just kidding.

We see the dirtamancer in the cast as well. Siege Craft?

A fun game-
Sawuman the orcamancer.
Belgawion the Swordamancer.

Any others from other magic systems or universes?

Gygaxphobia
2006-12-20, 08:54 AM
Conan the Destwoyamancer?
Mumwa the Everwivving?

MorethanKainun?

no, I'm not very good at this :(

Actually, since Croakamancers isn't spelt/pronounced Cwoakamancer, this doesn't work.

Bilgore
2007-02-03, 09:58 AM
You can still probably expect the more prolific writers on this forum to come up with several classes based on different "-amancers", whether they're part of your system or not! :smallbiggrin:

Indeed.
"Fate magic" is clearly part of the metamancer (GM) school of magic.
The opposing school, of course, would be the "cheatamancers."

Erk
2007-02-03, 10:01 AM
just Cheat Magic, performed by twinkamancers, I think.

grinner666
2007-02-03, 11:16 AM
I think it's fairly obvious by now that "uncroaked" equals "undead." Check out the panel where Ansom is talking about the powers of the Arkenpliers. He says they'll "turn most uncroaked to dust" while he's surrounded by ... well, I'm not SURE what they are ... skeletons or zombies, most likely ... but they sure as hell aren't living soldiers.

Ritifo
2007-02-03, 01:58 PM
The way I see it, it's just silly names for your standard magicking.

Croakamancer, Necromancer
Findamancer, Summoner
Predictamancer, Diviner
Hippiemancer, .... Hippies?

mikeejimbo
2007-02-04, 12:16 AM
The way I see it, it's just silly names for your standard magicking.

Croakamancer, Necromancer
Findamancer, Summoner
Predictamancer, Diviner
Hippiemancer, .... Hippies?

Really, I feel that "translating" them into things you already know takes a bit of the magic out of it. I prefer to force myself to believe that things are not like normal, and part of how I do this is to try to not make those analogies.

I'm not doing well, though. :smallwink:

Ulrich_Brew
2007-02-04, 01:16 AM
I think that findamancers might be summoners. After all I didn't read Ritifo's post and don't yet find myself as redundant.

Anyone can try to cast any spell, but depending on what they are good at they might have it backfire or wind up being weaker than suspected.

That is how I see it....

Erk
2007-02-04, 02:27 AM
Also, wanda is a croakamancer but her name is Wand of Fireballs and she has headache magic too. Just because there is power overlap doesn't mean they are the same as familiar magic types.

Azukar
2007-02-04, 08:17 AM
On the one hand, it's both interesting and important to know that.
On the other hand, it can get in the way of appreciating the flower.
The story will contain enough information to appreciate the story. Future resources will contain enough information to appreciate the world. :smallwink:

I'm kinda sorry that your comic is sophisticated enough you actually needed to explain that... It's like they don't trust you to be able to tell the story, despite the fact you've actually scored a place on the site!

PirateMonk
2007-02-04, 10:54 AM
Necro is greek, mort is latin.

Predictamancers and Lookamancers are both diviners, but different kinds.