PDA

View Full Version : Build: The "Shadow Broker"

Corinath
2013-07-07, 12:07 PM
So named because of the profession skill, which I'll talk about later.

So, background. I've never played DND pen and paper before. I did a SW D20 campaign over the last year, so I'm generally familiar with everything. (though we house ruled the heck out of it). The following is a build I wanted to submit to the community to see what everyone's thoughts about it's strengths / weaknesses are. The campaign starts a bit later today, and I'm sure I'll be allowed to mulligan a bit. Thanks! :)

All books are are allowed. Skill Tricks are banned. LA Buyoff allowed. For those unfamiliar with a particular aspect of the character, I'll Spoiler Tag definitions.

Backstory: A whisper gnome abducted in his youth by a drow war party. Was going to be killed, but was hidden by a local female cleric. (Drow society is Female > Male). She's eventually discovered for her harboring the PC, and ushers him to safety. What happened to her is unknown to the PC.

RP: A rogue, he has a lot of Drow traits/feats. Prefers darkness. And also has the tendency to address the women in the room as inherently being the leader. Keep your men in line. All that.

---

Race: "Dark" Whisper Gnome; Chaotic Neutral

Dark Template (ToM): LA +1, +10 base speed, Dark Vision, Hide in Plain Sight, Resistance to Cold / 10, Superior Low Light Vision, Hide +8, Move Silently +6

Whisper Gnome (RoS): +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Str, -2 Cha,
Small (+1 AC, +1 Atk, +4 Hide),
base spd 30 ft,
Low Light Vision, Dark Vision 60ft,
+1 atk vs Kobolds and Goblinoids,
+4 Dodge AC vs Giants,
+4 Racial to Hide / Move Silently, +2 Racial Spot / Listen,
1/day SLAs: Silence, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message

Level 1 Ability Scores: (House ruled rolling system)
Str - 10, Dex - 19, Con - 17, Int - 16, Wis - 12, Cha - 12

Class Breakdown:
1-2: Rogue
3: Dragonfire Adept
4: Swashbuckler
5: Cloistered Cleric
6-19: Rogue
20: Fighter (SA variant)

At level 20;

BAB: 14, Base Fort Save 13, Base Ref Save 10, Base Will Save 9

Feats / Class Abilities: (Feats listed first)

1. Cosmopolitan (For Iatjutsu Focus), Poison Use (ACF trapfinding), SA 1d6
2. Evasion
3. Blend into Shadows, Breathweapon 1d6, Dragontouched, Darkness SLA Invocation
4. Weapon Finesse
5. Knowledge Devotion, Travel Devotion, Time Domain, Turn Undead, Lore, Cleric Spells.
6. Dark Stalker, Penetrating Strike, SA 2d6
7. Uncanny Dodge.
8. SA 3d6
9. Instinctive Darkness
10. SA 4d6
11. Improved Uncanny Dodge
12. Craven, SA 5d6
13. Skill Mastery (Hide, Move Silently, Iatjutsu Focus, Spot, Sleight of Hand, Tumble)
14. SA 6d6
15. Savvy Rogue
16. Opportunist, SA 7d6
17. --
18. Combat Reflexes, SA 8d6
19. Staggering Strike.
20. SA 9d6 (As a Fighter ACF)

Cosmopolitan (FRCS): Choose a non-exclusive skill as a class skill, and apply a +2 Misc Mod to it.

Blend Into Shadows (DotU): Swift Action, Spend a Darkness SLA use to make a hide check, even while being observed and without cover or concealment. Must be within 10 ft of Magical Darkness.

Dragontouched (Draconic Magic): +1 hp, +1 Listen / Spot / Search, +1 on Saves vs Paralysis / Sleep

Darkness Invocation Spell Like Ability: Create Shadowy Illumination 20 ft. radius of a target.

Weapon Finesse: Replace Str w/ Dex for making attack rolls.

Knowledge Devotion (CC): Make a knowledge check to identify a creature. Take an insight bonus according to the roll.

Travel Devotion (CC): Base Tactical Movement is a swift action for 1/min.

Time Domain: Grants Improved Initiative, Allows True Strike as a spell.
Improved Initiative: +4 Initiative

Lore: Same as Bardic Knowledge (PHB)

Dark Stalker (LoM): Blindsight, blind sense, Tremor sense, scent creatures must make spot checks against you while hiding. Also allows Sneak Attacks vs creatures w/ all around vision.

Penetrating Strike (Can't remember): Roll half your normal SA dice against foes normally immune to SA when using SA.

Instinctive Darkness (DotU): Darkness SLA becomes an immediate action. Does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity.

Craven (CoR): -2 vs Fear effects. +1 dmg/character level when making sneak attacks

Skill Mastery (PHB): Select 3+(int mod) skills. You can take 10 in those skills even when under duress. (+12 w/ Savvy Rogue)

Savvy Rogue (PHB): Enhances certain rogue special abilities.

Opportunist (PHB): When an enemy you threaten is struck by a melee attack, you are granted a single Attack of Opportunity against them. Opportunist operates only once per round, regardless of your allotment of Attacks of Opportunity. (W/ Savvy rogue, this changes to "Make as many as you have Attacks of Opportunities available", or something to that effect.)

Combat Reflexes (PHB): You have as many Attacks of Opportunity a round as 1+Dex Mod.

Staggering Strike (CA): A target struck by your SA is staggered 1/round. Fort Save possible.

Calling card skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Sleight of Hand, Iatjutsu Focus, Tumble (barely), Sense Motive, Craft (Poison), And...

Profession: Shadow Broker - When performing certain (DM discretion), unequivocally illegal, Int/Cha based actions, Profession Shadow Broker may be rolled in place of a normal skill check.

Example, I have no ranks in Gather Information. But if I wanted to roll a Gather Information check to learn if someone was hiring a hitman, or a fence, I'd role the profession check instead. Want to Gather Information on a troll living in a cave? Out of luck. (Unless it's a benevolent troll and I'm plotting some Oceans Eleven style heist).

Spells:

Haven't really picked cleric spells out yet.

Misc.

Hide and Move Silently are going to be maxed out, and therefore utterly ridiculous. At level 1 (ECL 2), my character has a Hide of 24, and a Move Silently of 18.

I can temporarily acquire TWF via a wand of Heroics and (later) Gloves of the Balanced Hand.

Gnomish Quick Razors are a necessity for Iatjutsu Focus.
Eventually I'd like to have Bondleaf Wrap (A&EG) armor.

Early on I'd palm a wand of Distract Assailant (Will save, flat-foots as a swift action).
Also will be acquiring a bag of endless marbles (using endless caltrops as a model).

And I'll stop listing equipment there because I literally have 3 pages in a document of things that look pretty. :)

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I should note that close quarters combat is going to be sloppy for him until I get a Blindfold of True Darkness (Which hopefully happens quicker than not using Craft Poison to make gold). Fighting in the midst of one's own Darkness SLA without a way of overcoming it is going to hamper the heck out of fighting for a rogue. Might make me pick up the Ebon Eyes spell as a Cleric if I still haven't gotten the blindfold by level 5.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-07, 01:49 PM
Well, Profession (shadow broker) is homebrew/house rule, but beyond that...

I'd stick in at least two more levels of cleric to get yourself 2nd-level spells. Notably guidance of the avatar, lore of the gods, and divine inspiration. Beyond that, looks like a pretty bog standard HiPS warlock/rogue, with warlock traded for DFA. You might consider another level of DFA for the invocation that gives a bonus to Knowledge skills, and definitely put ranks into K (arcana), (dungeoneering), (local), (nature), (the planes), and (religion).

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 01:56 PM
Holy ****, it's scary how close that build is to mine, even down to the order of the multiclass levels :O

As I've mentioned in the other thread...

Get a magic item at low levels (Ring of the Darkhidden comes to mind) and use it with an item familiar to fuel Iaijutsu Focus.

Also I think your feat choice at mid-high levels could be improved.
Take Maiming Strike (EoE, trade SA for CHA dmg) for instance.

I would also consider going for some casting class at later levels. If you want to keep the Fighter levels consider the Armored Mage ACF from CM (gives you arcane casting but drops proficiencies). Top that off with another caster PrC that advances levels (I personally am fond of the Unseen Seer).

ETA: Whoops, misread your class setup. Well PrC into Unseen Seer for example, advances sneak attack and gives you casting, plus see below...
(Dip into Assassin for more sneak attack and gain casting to go into Unseen Seer)

This will also give some great synergies with your Dragonfire Adept dip, as it advances the Adept levels too (You get more invocations and a stronger breath weapon but no class abilities, DM p24 bottom part).

Also consider dipping into Swordsage 1-2 levels at level 9 or higher, you get the appropriate initiator level to grab Assassin's Stance (+2d6 sneak attack).

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 02:05 PM
I should note that close quarters combat is going to be sloppy for him until I get a Blindfold of True Darkness (Which hopefully happens quicker than not using Craft Poison to make gold). Fighting in the midst of one's own Darkness SLA without a way of overcoming it is going to hamper the heck out of fighting for a rogue. Might make me pick up the Ebon Eyes spell as a Cleric if I still haven't gotten the blindfold by level 5.

Consider the Baator Domain from SpC and ditch the Time Domain ;)

Granted Power: You have the supernatural ability to see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 02:26 PM
Ditch 2 domains you mean. Planar domains eat up 2 domains.
Planar touchstone would help with that though

Zombimode
2013-07-07, 02:42 PM
I sense a distinct lack of hot blue-skinned space babe in your build :smallamused:

Corinath
2013-07-07, 02:55 PM
Holy ****, it's scary how close that build is to mine, even down to the order of the multiclass levels :O

As I've mentioned in the other thread...

:D

Get a magic item at low levels (Ring of the Darkhidden comes to mind) and use it with an item familiar to fuel Iaijutsu Focus.

I'm not familiar with this strategy. How does it work?

Also I think your feat choice at mid-high levels could be improved.
Take Maiming Strike (EoE, trade SA for CHA dmg) for instance.

*looks it up*
It requires me to be evil, which I'm not. Though between this, and the next domain suggestion, I'm tempted. Also, what's the strategic advantage to making someone look ugly?

ETA: Whoops, misread your class setup. Well PrC into Unseen Seer for example, advances sneak attack and gives you casting, plus see below...
(Dip into Assassin for more sneak attack and gain casting to go into Unseen Seer)

This will also give some great synergies with your Dragonfire Adept dip, as it advances the Adept levels too (You get more invocations and a stronger breath weapon but no class abilities, DM p24 bottom part).

Also consider dipping into Swordsage 1-2 levels at level 9 or higher, you get the appropriate initiator level to grab Assassin's Stance (+2d6 sneak attack).

I could maybe dip another four levels total. Any more than that, and I wind up losing Opportunist (paired with Savvy Rogue and Combat Reflexes), and we have a Centaur Barbarian tank in the party...so...I'll get to use it a bunch I think. Actually, if I do this, I'd get it at level 20. So I wouldn't get to use it much at all.

Dip into Assassin requires evil... Ah, hell. I'll seriously consider going Evil at this point. I can mask my alignment right? Most of my party are neutral characters. One person might be evil.

For Swordsage, the book says I need to be Swordsage 3 to pick up the Assassin's Stance...? If I could pick it up in two levels it'd be amazing. But if I can, I'm missing where it's justified?

---

Well, Profession (shadow broker) is homebrew/house rule, but beyond that...

I'd stick in at least two more levels of cleric to get yourself 2nd-level spells. Notably guidance of the avatar, lore of the gods, and divine inspiration. Beyond that, looks like a pretty bog standard HiPS warlock/rogue, with warlock traded for DFA. You might consider another level of DFA for the invocation that gives a bonus to Knowledge skills, and definitely put ranks into K (arcana), (dungeoneering), (local), (nature), (the planes), and (religion).

Guidance of the Avatar looks great, but I'd be sacrificing 1d6 SA and Staggering Strike for it. It might just be more efficient for me to cleric wand it.

Lore of the Gods is an incredible spell...Also might prefer to wand it though. But I like that it's got a damn good duration on it.

Divine inspiration takes a Standard Action to buff for 1d4 rounds. Would be phenominal as a pre-combat buff.

Thanks for pointing those spells out to me!

As for the knowledge skills...I don't think I have the ability to put ranks into all of those knowledges. You literally just solved one of the biggest problems I had with this build. I wasn't taking into account that my dips allowed access to different Knowledge skills, or that DFA granted access to all of them. And now with the spells you listed above, I can buff my BAB to fairly acceptable levels with that. :D

Consider the Baator Domain from SpC and ditch the Time Domain ;)

Requires Evil. However, now I'm heavily considering evil. And this may be what I do. :D

Edit: Strikethrough afterthought.

Gray Mage
2013-07-07, 03:00 PM
Any special reason for using the Dark template? Lesser Tiefling seems to suit your needs better. You'd lose the LA as well.

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 03:16 PM
Ditch 2 domains you mean. Planar domains eat up 2 domains. Planar touchstone would help with that though

Ouch, I didn't know that. Well in the case you don't want to ditch the two domains you could dip 2 Warlock levels (instead of the DFA) and get "Devil's Sight" instead, to see in (magical) darkness.

I'm not familiar with this strategy. How does it work?

It's in UA, also you can look here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

Dip into Assassin requires evil... Ah, hell. I'll seriously consider going Evil at this point. I can mask my alignment right? Most of my party are neutral characters. One person might be evil.

You could go for this if you don't want evil:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

It's an April Fool's joke but might as well take it ;)

For Swordsage, the book says I need to be Swordsage 3 to pick up the Assassin's Stance...? If I could pick it up in two levels it'd be amazing. But if I can, I'm missing where it's justified?

You are qualified to take maneuvers and stances based on initiator level. ToB p39 (check the passage on multiclass characters). You'd be initiator level 5 at level 9, so qualified to take Assassin's Stance (plus maneuvers at that level). Depending on how your DM rules the "begins play" dilemma you'd need to take another level of Swordsage, might as well interpret it differently so a 1 level dip would suffice.

Btw, a Swordsage dip opens maneuvers that can get the target flat-footed ;)
Albeit only for a single attack :/

Any special reason for using the Dark template? Lesser Tiefling seems to suit your needs better. You'd lose the LA as well.

Or aquire the Dark template through the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, 11k or 22k for the Continuous version.

Seeing how you've got HiPS through the Blend in Shadows/Darkness SLA combo the template ain't that attractive imho.
You already have the vision benefits through the race.

Corinath
2013-07-07, 03:18 PM

HiPS and the Stealth Bonuses mostly.

As it is, I can initiate a hide in most places without creating any concern via HiPS. The Stealth Bonuses to this are insane as it is.

Having HiPS via the Blend Into Shadows feat is more for combat that's already begun. Blend Into Shadows allows me to hide as a swift action when 10ft near any Darkness effect. So I can take my combat actions, Blend Into Shadows, move 5 ft.

Instinctive Darkness allows me to use Darkness as an immediate action (unless flatfooted), then I could presumably use my HiPS via the Dark template to hide as a move action.

Blending the two of them together seem to make it damn near impossible to spot me if I don't want to be spotted. Losing Dark, and my Race, bring my Hide back down from +16 Racial Bonus down to normal.

Unless I'm missing something, anyhow. Which I might. Still rather new to DND's mechanics.

Edit:

Further, I figure using Darkness around anyone would provoke combat, so it's also for having the option to hide while the party is being observed, but without generating combat.

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 03:20 PM
Planar touchstone catalogues of enlightment can get you the baator power
Dark is better than the collar because it always works and LA 1 is easy to be rid of.

A 5-splash in binder gets you tenebrous or any vestige of up to 4. Deeper darkness at will and uber-darkvision. Tiefling can get then get swapped for more goodies

Gray Mage
2013-07-07, 03:21 PM
Or aquire the Dark template through the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, 11k or 22k for the Continuous version.

Seeing how you've got HiPS through the Blend in Shadows/Darkness SLA combo the template ain't that attractive imho.
You already have the vision benefits through the race.

Lesser Tiefling also grants him Darkness, which seems to be why he has a level of Dragonfire Adept that other then that, doesn't seem to do much. He'd also lose that level of fighter and pick Swashbuckler 3, for int to damage and if he could spare a feat, Daring Outlaw.

Corinath
2013-07-07, 03:33 PM
Dark is better than the collar because it always works and LA 1 is easy to be rid of.

You're introducing me to Touchstones. Google-fu says I need a feat? I'll read more. :)

A 5-splash in binder gets you tenebrous or any vestige of up to 4. Deeper darkness at will and uber-darkvision. Tiefling can get then get swapped for more goodies

Total greek to me. No idea what 5-splash in binder, tenebrous, or vestige up to 4 means. :P

Lesser Tiefling also grants him Darkness, which seems to be why he has a level of Dragonfire Adept that other then that, doesn't seem to do much. He'd also lose that level of fighter and pick Swashbuckler 3, for int to damage and if he could spare a feat, Daring Outlaw.

The Lesser Tiefling only grants Darkness 1/day. Every time I Blend Into Shadows it costs me one Darkness SLA. DFAs get unlimited amounts via Invocations.

I've only got one level in Fighter and one level in Swash. If I traded fighter for another Swash it'd net me Grace +1. I'd have to give up a level of Rogue to get Swash 3. Staggering Strike vs. +3 dmg?

I'm parsing out dumping 4 rogue levels and picking up Assassin / Unseen Seer / Swordsage 2. But I'd need the DM ruling on the Assassin's Stance bit. I have a feeling it'd be no, but we'll see. :D

Gray Mage
2013-07-07, 03:34 PM
The Lesser Tiefling only grants Darkness 1/day. Every time I Blend Into Shadows it costs me one Darkness SLA. DFAs get unlimited amounts via Invocations.

I've only got one level in Fighter and one level in Swash. If I traded fighter for another Swash it'd net me Grace +1. I'd have to give up a level of Rogue to get Swash 3. Staggering Strike vs. +3 dmg?

I'm parsing out dumping 4 rogue levels and picking up Assassin / Unseen Seer / Swordsage 2. But I'd need the DM ruling on the Assassin's Stance bit. I have a feeling it'd be no, but we'll see. :D

Well, the plan'd be to lose Dragonfire as well.

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 03:35 PM

Can he keep his 3 domains when using the Planar touchstone feat?

Also he can have it earliest at level 6.

Prerequisite: Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks

and whatever this means

Portable object of at least 250 gp value native to any designated planar touchstone site

or if it's just fluff text and he just spends 250g.

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 03:39 PM
Total greek to me. No idea what 5-splash in binder, tenebrous, or vestige up to 4 means. :P

The Binder is a strong and flavourful class from ToM, useful because versatile ;)
However it requires more levels to really shine imho, a one level dip ain't give you much in return. Btw, a vestige (similar to invocations in style) later on gives +8 to all knowledge skills if I'm not mistaken. Dandalium or something...

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 03:41 PM

Just to make the Dragonfire Adept attractive again, go and get Entangling Exhalation, that feat is seriously broken and will probably be banned by the DM if you abuse it :D

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 03:53 PM
Can he keep his 3 domains when using the Planar touchstone feat?

Yes he does. This grants a bonus power! :D

More on Binder:
If dropping 2 levels of DFA it is just 3 extra levels
Other things available besides DV. Tons of Turning attempts, +2880/day if used as often as possible. +4 to initiative. All knowledge skills. Mad diplomancies. All item crafting feats. Lore. The capacity to vanish things to the black hole. Bird scouts. And many many more. Including breath weapons
As an added bonus they are the result of bending spirits to your will by knowing their secrets

Corinath
2013-07-07, 03:55 PM
You are qualified to take maneuvers and stances based on initiator level. ToB p39 (check the passage on multiclass characters). You'd be initiator level 5 at level 9, so qualified to take Assassin's Stance (plus maneuvers at that level). Depending on how your DM rules the "begins play" dilemma you'd need to take another level of Swordsage, might as well interpret it differently so a 1 level dip would suffice.

Btw, a Swordsage dip opens maneuvers that can get the target flat-footed ;)
Albeit only for a single attack :/

Just read the relevant sections. I'm positive if I were DM'ing it, I'd require a 2 level dip to get Assassin's stance. The Begin's Play thing does seem like they are forcing you to pick a level one stance. But then you can throw the initiator levels into the mix on the next stance pick.

Still parsing out the trade off. :)

But then I'd lose my infinite source of Darkness! O.o

Just to make the Dragonfire Adept attractive again, go and get Entangling Exhalation, that feat is seriously broken and will probably be banned by the DM if you abuse it :D

Oh man. This might be worth it. Entangling a bunch of people might be too much fun. :D

EDIT: Further thought. Entangling + Wraithstrike weapon = win?

ArcturusV
2013-07-07, 04:01 PM
Also, what's the strategic advantage to making someone look ugly?

Well, Stat damage, always good. But if you can lower anyone's stats to 0, even Charisma, they become helpless in some fashion. It's always described differently, but it always ends up to being "you're a bump on a log, completely unable to do anything".

Charisma being a popular dump stat for anything that isn't really a Charisma Based Caster (Or undead oddly enough), means that it's going to be fairly easy to take down. Not quite as easy as taking down Dex on a very old dragon, but still possible.

And if it is a Charisma based caster, each point of Cha damage is really crippling as they lose spell slots, save DCs, etc.

Corinath
2013-07-07, 04:05 PM
Well, Stat damage, always good. But if you can lower anyone's stats to 0, even Charisma, they become helpless in some fashion. It's always described differently, but it always ends up to being "you're a bump on a log, completely unable to do anything".

Charisma being a popular dump stat for anything that isn't really a Charisma Based Caster (Or undead oddly enough), means that it's going to be fairly easy to take down. Not quite as easy as taking down Dex on a very old dragon, but still possible.

And if it is a Charisma based caster, each point of Cha damage is really crippling as they lose spell slots, save DCs, etc.

Ahhhhhh I get it. :)

On the surface though, it might work against Iatjutsu Focus, in that I can't trade off IF D6s for CHA damage, so it might effectively take twice as long to take someone down? (Unless they're just massively CHA dumped?)

Edit: Adding this:

The Binder in ToM says that at level 5 I can have a 3rd level vestige, but Tenebrous is a 4th level vestige. There a way to circumvent that? Or Am I misreading it?

Binder sounds like wicked fun. Not sure it'll work with this build, but, seriously, that's my next character. :D

Gargravarr
2013-07-07, 04:25 PM
Ahhhhhh I get it. :)

On the surface though, it might work against Iatjutsu Focus, in that I can't trade off IF D6s for CHA damage, so it might effectively take twice as long to take someone down? (Unless they're just massively CHA dumped?)

Most monsters have a CHA between 12-20 on average I'd say, even at Level 20 but their HP might skyrocket. Say you get 5 attacks at Level 20 with 9d6 sneak attack that hit and trade your dice in pairs for the CHA damage, that'd be 4 CHA damage per attack(!), you do the math ;)

Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.

:)

Gildedragon
2013-07-07, 04:45 PM
The Improved Binding feat lets you bind as if you were 2 levels higher

Corinath
2013-07-07, 04:48 PM
So many things!

Thanks everyone. :D

I'm probably going to go with the Assassin/Unseen Seer/2 Swordsage.

Part of me wants to make a binder now though. I may try and convince a friend of mine to roll this, actually. He's still a bit up in the air as to what he wants.

:)