View Full Version : Searching for dragons. Part I.

Pages : [1] 2

Kredine
2013-07-07, 12:26 PM
After several days travel you approach the Great Gates of Osmath city. The white city stands hundreds of feet tall, shining for miles around. Besides the vast number of people passing through the Great Gates, you notice the strong military presence. Two men wielding spears and shields stand either side of the great gate, observing those you pass through. Littered across the battlements stand dozens of crossbowmen, standing only a few feet apart a top of the gate, thinning out as you look further away, until they standing roughy fifty feet apart. Patrolling the battlements you see pairs of soldiers, a bowmen and swordsman, each pair roughly one hundred foot behind the next.

How do you approach?

Orran
2013-07-07, 02:05 PM
Strixi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=603891)

Strixi looks upon the human capital, it is much bigger than he expected, which happens a lot to creatures as small as himself. At 2 foot, there isn't a lot to him, and with his shapechanging magics, there is even less. Currently he is in his native form, a dragonwrought kobold of green dragon ancestry.
Approaching the guards, he confidently walks up,
"Good morning, I am here to research my ancestors. Could you point me to your town library?"

Kredine
2013-07-07, 07:37 PM
As you approach the guards ready their weapons, four spears and countless crossbows pointed your way. With them mere feet away you see that an emblem, two red shields, adorn their armour.
"Stop right their kobold scum. You think we'll let some Kredine worshipping scumbag through our gates"
The shouting man raises his spear.
"Hold!" comes a deep booming voice as a draconic humanoid pushes his way through.
The draconic one chants, staring intently at you, clearly casting a detect evil spell upon you [Spellcraft 22 vs DC 16].
"Calm yourself gentlemen, you have nothing to fear from this little creature. He is not evil"
He looks at you, this time in the eyes. You see two green shields on his clothing.
"Come with me little one. I'll sort everything out for you."

Orran
2013-07-08, 03:53 AM
When harassed by the guards, Strixi begins to respond, but the answer dies in his throat as he is scanned for an evil presence. Quietly assessing how quickly he could be underground and away, he is brought back to reality not evil..

"Gratitude sir, and who do I owe it to?" Strixi asks as he follows the presumed Dragonborn.

Kredine
2013-07-08, 12:35 PM
"I am Captain Baldeen," he replies, leading you through the Great Gates. After you leave earshot of the guards he continues to talk
"She told me you would be coming. A courageous little idiot brazen enough to approach the military. You do know Osmath is at war with Kredine's kobolds right? Regardless, she sent me here to get you through the gates safely, and I have"
He leads you into a building, moving aside a bookshelf and down a flight of stairs into a dark room. The book shelf closes behind you.
"What are doing here little kobold?"

Orran
2013-07-08, 04:36 PM
"Well sir, as I'm sure you're aware, there are many kobold tribes in the Zatyr Isles, I come from a tribe in the Broken Isles, and do not affiliate myself with any god." Strixi Pauses for, a moment allowing a bat not much smaller then himself out of his hood. "Perhaps it was unwise of me to expect that knowledge to be common"
"I serve Dragons as a race completely, all their interests and goals are my own." The bat stirs, and idly flaps upwards searching for insects. "You could call me an ambassador of sorts, I hope."
"That's what brings me here, in order to meet and learn from them, I must find my ancestor." The bat's fur, now more visible, can be seen to have green spines growing out of it. "He was a young green dragon called Darastrix a century gone, he could be anywhere now. I hoped your libraries, seers, or clerics may know more."

The bat catches a small moth, and lands back in the hood, toasting it with slight licks of flame from it's mouth, then looking over Strixi's shoulder at Captain Baldeen.

"Who is the 'she' I owe thanks to?"

[roll0]

Kredine
2013-07-08, 06:28 PM
"Hmm, it was foolish of you to assume such things."
He stares at you for a few moments, before a small smile appears on his face.
"But you would not be the first to make unwise decisions in the search for dragons."
He holds out a hand to you.
"I am Baldeen Everwise, Cleric to my Patron, and your benefactor, Tiamat"
Seemingly ignoring your hungry pet, he pulls out two chairs, gesturing you towards one.
"I do not know the information you seek, or where to find it, and you would be unwise to seek said knowledge openly without papers of approval. I could obtain these for you but it would take some time, perhaps weeks. Where do you hope to begin?"

Orran
2013-07-09, 04:31 AM
Strixi is somewhat taken aback, to think there is a cleric of Tiamat enjoying a position of power in the isles' largest stronghold of good, Captain Baldeen clearly shouldn't be underestimated. He shakes the hand of the cleric, although it is more like taking his finger, then sits cross legged on the offered chair, giving him a little more height to talk evenly.
"This is truly a city of surprises, I imagine there will be a great deal of information here for those willing to dig." Strixi pronounces dig like it's something he could be prepared to do at any minute, although a confined stone room would certainly put a stop to that.
"I'm sure those papers will be useful in time, and greatly appreciated, I will be able to find a few things to do until then. I assume you have a public library I can find some of the basics in, and of course I should need to find local lodgings willing to house me. The guard at the gate have not filled me with confidence."
The lizard pauses for a few moments, "Tell me, does Osmath interact with dragons regularly, as friend or foe? Perhaps I could lend a new perspective on matters."

Kredine
2013-07-09, 01:01 PM
"The city has its share of Bahamut devotees, even a few of his dragonborn. That is how I made my way into Law Enforcement, Every common fool assumes a dragon-man must be on of his followers. How little they know."
He stops for a moment, fondling an icon around his neck.
"Libraries, yes. There are several across Osmath. A couple in the common grounds, one in Auderran park. There is of course the Archives of the Order, but you'd have an easier time getting into the Eklion District then into that. As for lodging. Your best bet would be the common ground. They're are a few areas known for the lesser races, you might find a willing inn there"

Orran
2013-07-09, 03:59 PM
"I'm sure you're underselling yourself there, getting to where you are must have had its challenges. If you ever need some support from someone with less invested in their position here, I can be a lot more subtle than I have been today."

At the mention of libraries the Kobolds brow furrows a little, "I see, I will see what they have to offer first. Do you have a map of the city so I have a better idea of where to go? Perhaps then I should travel the city in dragon form? I may find the reception a little warmer."

Kredine
2013-07-09, 05:23 PM
"If I find a use for you, you shall be called."
He pulls out a scroll and begins to sketch something out.
"As far as travelling around the city, a hooded cloak will probably be enough, though if you are going to assume a dragon form I suggest you stick to that of a metallic dragon at least."
He hands over the scroll to you.
"Here is a rough map of the city, it should serve your purposes for the time being. Is there anything else you need to know?"
[Map Link] (http://i.imgur.com/SrW2DHb.jpg)

Orran
2013-07-09, 06:14 PM
"Looks like you'll have to find somewhere new to hang out in daylight hours Kane" the Kobold says affectionately to his companion.
The bat does not respond.

"There's actually a lot more dragon forms than you would expect Captain" the kobold says, a smile showing off his sharp teeth. Storing the map in his haversack, Strixi secures it tightly over his chest. "Some would draw little more than a glance from all but the keenest of eye."

"I think that's all Captain, you have shown much hospitality, if I need to contact you, where should I go?" Assuming he has an answer, Strixi draws his cloak around himself, the hood up, his tail wrapped around one leg, kane squeezed into the folds of the fabric around the neckline. Then he thanks Baldeen once more and takes his leave.

Once in the corridors, but before rejoining any public areas he shares a mage armor spell with Kane, as well as a heart of water. "Can't be too careful, relying on divine grace and our wits to save us won't work forever. It only takes one zealot to trigger a race riot in a hornet's nest like this"
The bat does not respond.

The pair head towards the common area to find lodging, looking for what could be described as a lesser race to get some information from.

Kredine
2013-07-09, 06:49 PM
"If you should need me, speak your name while holding this. I will find you when I have the papers. Good luck, little kobold"
Baldeen hands you a small violet stone, and bids you farewell.

You make your way through the city, taking the nearest route to the common grounds. The common grounds are crammed with people, mostly human, funnelling through 'streets' between a maze of houses. While the area is more tightly packed then you have ever seen in a city, it is clean and structurally sound, each house stands strong with good doors and windows, there are safe sources of water and even basic medical facilities. Osmath is a city where even the poor live without fear of starvation or illness. As you wander through the grounds searching for lodgings it occurs to you that you are traversing the largest district in the city without a plan, and that dusk is soon approaching.
How do you continue your search?
[Time: ~5pm]

Orran
2013-07-10, 03:33 AM
Strixi wanders the grounds for a few minutes, taking in the sights.. and smells, a little curious that so many people live together with a decent quality of life. The desert kobolds generally kept small tribes, but the miners often had sprawling complexes trapped underground, and he wonders if this is what they're like. Something that made the kobolds so successful was their propensity to look after their own, if the humans gained some work ethic too, they might become a half decent race.
Breaking out of his reverie, Strixi starts questioning passers by, finding out where most of the lesser races live and where he could find lodgings there.
lesser races... do they think that's funny?

[roll0]
[roll1]
Take 10 on bluff for 22 to disguise voice, when speaking to humans, just to be less disconcerting. (Under acting in phb)

Kredine
2013-07-10, 05:58 AM
Those you approach, though fooled by you voice, seem unwilling to share information with you, turning sour as once you mention lesser races. Some commoners will point without words, and the occasional more helpful soul will give you some vague directions. It takes you some time, and night has long approached, but you find yourself at an area the locals call 'the lesser pits'. The area is as structurally sound as the rest of the common ground, but the streets leading out of the pits have been closed off with make-shift walls, forming an almost gated community. The few clear entrances have an unusual number of guards compared to the rest of the grounds. You notice that these guards are dressed like those of the Great Gates, red shields on their armour, while those throughout the grounds wore lighter armour, sporting green shields. As you approach a guard turns in you, speaking in a gruff voice.
"Cutting it close aren't you? Curfew's almost in affect."
Inside the pits is not unlike the rest of the grounds, except of course its occupants. Goblins, predominantly, but also orcs, gnolls, a bugbear and other uncommon races for a human city. There is a two story building not far from the entrance, obviously an inn from the name across its wall 'The Worthless Rest'. The letters are not the original it would seem, remnants of a past name leak through the white paint slapped across it.
[Time: Just before 9pm]

Orran
2013-07-10, 11:49 AM
Strixi doesn't react noticeably to the segregation, it was no surprise based on what he'd seen so far. His only response to the guard is a nod of acknowledgement.
Seeing the inn's prominent position near the entrance, he assumes it must be a fairly busy establishment, perfect to blend in and learn from the locals. Stashing his cloak in his haversack, strixi enters, leaving him only in shorts and the belt holding his metamagic rod, and the copper circlet on his head.
The spells cast earlier are still in effect.

Kredine
2013-07-10, 04:41 PM
The tavern is unlike most you would find in a city. Asides from its occupants - mostly goblins - the tavern has constructs roaming the floor, three mechanical dogs prowl around the patrons, while a tattered humanoid construct stands behind the bar. At the bar are two staff, a hobgoblin male, and oddly enough a female gnome.

Orran
2013-07-10, 05:25 PM
Strixi takes a moment to observe the constucts:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Approaching the bar, he gauges the gnome's reaction to a Kobold entering (Sense motive request +5.) and looks to the hobgoblin. "Room for two small ones?" As if answering, Kane flies up and around the bar excitedly, apparently enjoying the night time and new environment. "and a small honeyed wine wouldn't go amiss, if you have it."

Kredine
2013-07-10, 07:24 PM
You know little about these constructs, though you think that the dogs are a creation known as 'Iron Defenders'.
[Sense Motive 19 vs DC 20]
The gnome notices you, she spends a few moments looking at you, but you are unable to determine her thoughts.
The hobgoblin turns to you, speaking his native tongue.
"If you don't mind fella, could ya keep that little pest on a leash. Most of my customers aint nottin but reg'lar folk, I don't want em disturbed. I've got a room for one if that'll do ya. As for the drink"
He switches to the common tongue, for which he obviously has more trouble with.
"Ashara, serve little lizard please"
The gnome approaches you.
"Honeyed wine was that? Most of us just call it mead in these parts."
She reaches for a clean glass and pours you a drink.
"Its not the best of brews but its not the worst either, that'll be an 15 coppers for the drink and the room"

Orran
2013-07-11, 04:41 AM
Fun Time's over Kane, I'll let you out when we get to the room. There is no clue that any commands were given, but the bat comes back to land on the little lizard's back. "I guess he heard you, although I doubt he considers himself a pest." Strixi says in goblin.

"Yes, mead, I'm not from these parts. Tell me Ashara, the guards mentioned a curfew, is that for everyone in the pits, such as yourself, or is that just for us 'lesser' races?" he asks conversationally as he hands over 2 silver.

Kredine
2013-07-11, 05:40 AM
Ashara takes the two silver, retrieving change from a lockbox.
"Its for anyone living in the pits"
She hands you back five coppers.
"Though I may be the only one here not considered a 'lesser' race"
She emphasises her disapproval on the word lesser.
"So what brings you to Osmath little kobold?"

Orran
2013-07-11, 06:38 AM
"I see, it seemed like a lot of guards just for a few goblins. Humans eh?" Strixi samples some of the mead, then continues "So what makes a gnome leave the big safe city to live with the savages?" he seems to be enjoying the irony of humans considering themselves advanced.
"I'm here for research, trying to find my great grandfather. I owe him for this, gesturing to the green scales which are most concentrated over his shoulders and back. "do you know of any other kobolds in the city?"

Kredine
2013-07-11, 07:04 AM
"Unlike the rest of the Osmathians, I don't fear your kind."
She pours herself a drink and sits down behind the bar.
"And I also know you all have money others aren't so willing to take. So when I saw the pits for myself, saw how few trading opportunities they had, I decided to make everyone a little better off. I bought this abandoned tavern, set up shop. Of course, this tavern does more than just supply drinks and rooms."
She serves another customer and returns to you.
"Anyway, kobolds. They are few and far between in this city, ever since Kredine's lot declared war on us. Even the kobolds under Sharlang are housed in the dungeons. So who was this grandfather you speak of?"

Orran
2013-07-11, 11:57 AM
"Sounds like decent business sense, for the biggest city in the realm of good, they could be more progressive don't you think? While she serves the other customer, kane looks imploringly at strixi, it appears he's being impatient.
The kobold does not respond.

"Sharlang? I'm not familiar with them.
Yes, he was a young green dragon trying to claim a territory for his own, my tribe gave tribute to him briefly. Soon an older blue reclaimed it and all those with his blood lost favour. I've since left, I'm hoping he's still alive so we can work together."

Kredine
2013-07-11, 12:55 PM
"Them? You don't know Sharlang?"
She says this apparently louder than she intended. Many in the room turn their heads, as if resentful of the phrase. Ashara brings her volume down and continues.
"Sharlang is an old-tongue word, roughly translated it means 'Mercy-Oath'. When The Order defeats a foe, any remaining members of their adversary can invoke Sharlang. Those who do so are spared their lives, so long as they endure a life of servitude. That is the cause for so many of my patrons"
She takes a swig from her drink.
"Of course it doesn't stop the military from being suspicious of them, which is of course ridiculous. Sharlang is not unlike a Geas, once you say the words you cannot break the Oath without death befalling you. Still, the common folk fear those here, as such they are monitored very carefully. That's nothing compared to Dragons though. You wont see a chromatic dragon in these parts, but the mages might know more about it"

Orran
2013-07-11, 03:18 PM
"My tribe are actually fairly isolated, I'm probably one of the first to leave the island by choice in decades. That's why our territories are so often contested between chromatics, there's not enough space. Dragon politics are dangerous business, if they were ever to unify, the Zatyr Isles could be a very different place." Strixi takes a drink again, it's surprising how well he handles the drink considering the mug is the size of his head. "but that's another story."
"This Sharlang though, condemning your enemies to a magically enforced life of slavery, killing them would be more merciful. That's the problem with holy empires, they can't see the desert for the sand."
Leaning back, the kobold glances at the hobgoblin, "So if you're in charge here, what's his story?" he asks.

Kredine
2013-07-11, 03:48 PM
"Well, those who agree with you accept their fate. Sharlang is a choice after all. I'm sure the King and Council would abolish it if they could."
She turns to the hobgoblin.
"He was my front man, until I could set up successfully. Goblins don't much trust Gnomes you see. Now he remains as first mate as it were. Look after my ship when I'm not around. I pay him well and he does his job."

Orran
2013-07-11, 04:37 PM
"I see, but what about the constructs? I'm vaguely familiar with the dogs, but the humanoid is odd. Seems like you surround yourself with those you command the loyalty of, you could have made a good dragonwrought if born among us."

[roll0]

Kredine
2013-07-11, 04:46 PM
Though she attempts to hide it, her lips form into a noticeable half-smile, before she regains her composition.
"You're very sweet little kobold, but I am afraid I have surrounded myself by those whose loyalty can be bought, not that which has been earned, or trusted. As for the constructs, they are just to ensure the safety of my patrons. Well, except the Shield Guardian"
She nods to the humanoid construct.
"He's here for my safety"
She notices your nearly empty drink.
"Another?"

Orran
2013-07-11, 04:55 PM
"Bought loyalty is still loyalty, but then if you have constructs at your beck and call, you can risk a few finding better offers." The kobold says, finishing his drink. "You read my mind, but I'll have to mingle with the clientele, my tribe would throw a fit to see me drinking with a gnome. Besides, I'll need plenty of friends if my stay in this city is going to work out as well as I plan." As Ashala pours his drink, Strixi surveys the crowd, to see where he should start.

Kredine
2013-07-11, 05:39 PM
She takes another silver for your drink.
"Have it your way, but you won't find any of them nearly as interesting as me I assure you."
The bar area is not overly large, seating only nine tables across the floor, only five of which are occupied. Sitting at the bar is a hobgoblin, mumbling to himself. At the first table sits two goblins, in heated discussion. The second are three goblins, playing some kind of dice game. At the third sits a solitary half-orc. The forth houses a pair of gnolls, laughing manically and at the fifth sits a tired depressed looking tiefling.

Orran
2013-07-11, 06:02 PM
"I don't know, those gnolls seem a giggle, it's a shame I don't speak the language." The kobold smiles, after dragons, dogs are the creature he most resembles.

Some quick deliberation has him approach the tiefling, but en route he subtly listens to the 2 goblins argue.
[roll0]
[roll1]

"What could be getting you down so much buddy, this whole city is an opportunity?" He says, hoping that this tiefling isn't a Sharlang. A city that had conquered the demons would be a lot more than he signed up for.

Kredine
2013-07-11, 06:27 PM
The goblins don't seem to take notice to you, and though you're sure you've heard the words fine, the conversation leaves you unsure.
"No, no, no, you half-witted fool. It has to be scale of the troglodyte."
"Are you mad? Wyvern intestines will always yield a greater crop."
You approach the tiefling, proposing your question.
"An opportunity" she spits. "This city is hive of self righteous racism, like I choose to be born with horns."
She turns to face you, as though not aware of your presence until after she had already responded.
"What do you want, dragonkin?"

Orran
2013-07-11, 06:46 PM
Goblins, useful allies sometimes, but farmers, who knows?
"I want the same thing you do, to go about my business, but twice today I've had to skulk past men with spears. They may have even been different men, they all look kind of the same." Strixi offers his claw. "The name's Strixi, yours demonborn?" Kane crawls onto the table, looking around for morsels.

Kredine
2013-07-11, 07:24 PM
"I was born of no demon"
She pulls up her hood, taking a drink.
"I am just kin to one. A dead one at that"
She drinks again, silent for a few seconds, before taking your claw in her hand.
"My name is Abatheer, I hail from a small town south of here"
She wavers slightly when expressing her origin.
"And where are you from from?"
She then turns to your bat curiously, raising a hand as if to pet him.
"May I?"

Orran
2013-07-12, 05:17 AM
[Sense motive: Was she involved in her demon relatives death? Did she like them?]
"Apologies, planar entities aren't my specialty. I come from the deserts on the Broken Isles, we never interacted with much but ourselves." Kane trots forward and squeaks. "He doesn't seem to mind, careful though, he's a bit of an attention fiend. Might not leave you alone." As if answering, Kane starts nuzzling into her outstretched hand.

"So what do you do in the big city miss, chasing dreams?"

Kredine
2013-07-12, 08:45 AM
You can tell that her past involving said relative weighs heavily on her. You get the impression she was involved somehow in its demise.
Ashara becomes quite distracted by Kane, interested in the seemingly affectionate creature.
"No, she says," clearly not focusing on the conversation any longer. "Not a dream. A promise"
She then snaps back, realizing what she has said.
"I mean, I'm here to meet a contact, nothing special."
Clearly uncomfortable with her slip of the tongue, she sits upright and finishes her drink.
"Its late, I must be getting to bed now. Pleasure to meet you Strixi"
She stands and heads up the stairs in a hurry.

Orran
2013-07-12, 08:54 AM
You know, I'm a specialist in meeting contacts, you could make a worse friend. Everything is an opportunity. He projects to her, then sits back to see if she waits.

[roll0]

Orran
2013-07-12, 08:59 AM
Kane attempts to look disappointed. It's difficult, he's a bat.
[roll0]
Success makes Strixi's diplomacy 19.

Kredine
2013-07-12, 10:46 AM
She stops, but just for a moment, barely turning her head. She seems to be considering your statement. She does not turn around however, continuing up the stairs.

Orran
2013-07-13, 02:42 PM
"Yes Kane, I'm sure you'll get to see her again." Strixi says to the bat, who has started looking around the room, perhaps bored again. Then he takes a look around the room, shrugging at Ashala, striking out that quickly was almost embarrassing. Hopping down, he heads over to the goblins playing dice.
"Evening fellas, what's the game?" While they answer, he takes a look at their drink levels.

Kredine
2013-07-13, 04:30 PM
"Karcha"
Grunts a pale yellow goblin, taking a swig from his nearly empty drink.
"You wouldn't know it"
Adds another yellow skin, though not so pale, his drink also nearing empty.
"Goblins only"
Adds the third, deep orange skinned goblin, holding a drink about half full.

Orran
2013-07-14, 12:54 PM
"You're damn right I don't know it, I care less for dice than I do wizards. I'm just a traveler wondering what there is to do in this city, apart from getting stick from a bunch of self-righteous humans. You guys must know all the characters around here, right?" Strixi punctuates his question by downing the majority of his drink, and putting it down heavily.

Kane is eyeing up the dice.

Kredine
2013-07-14, 01:41 PM
"If you didn't care why'd you ask?"
The pale yellow takes his turn at the ask.
"We know plenty sure. What's that gotta do with a nosey 2ft of scales?"

Orran
2013-07-14, 03:00 PM
"Well I asked because it's polite, just like it's polite to make yourself known to the important players when you arrive in a new town." Strixi is rapidly losing patience, there's just something about goblins that irks him. Probably that they don't know what's good for them, and he's not a fan of having to show people these things. "It's going to be a busy few days around here for me, so getting up to speed would make it easier." He looks both of the speakers in the eye as they speak and then responds slowly and carefully, not risking any miscommunication being the cause of more disagreement.

Kredine
2013-07-14, 03:22 PM
"Important? You think there's anyone important in the pits? The only important one here is Ashara, and that's only in the pits."
From the corner of your eye you see Ashara looking at you laughing, as though she knows something you don't.
The orange goblin chimes in.
"Why would we want to make your life easier? You don't even know you. Could be here to steal our die for all we know."

Orran
2013-07-14, 03:35 PM
Directly to the yellow goblin, Strixi says "You know, it's that kind of attitude that keeps those like you where you are. At least your buddy here has the sense to think about what's good for him." Then he turns to the orange skin.
"You don't have to care about me, but I'm about to go see Ashala for a refill, maybe a round. I could be coming back to this table, or another, depends. Tell me, Ashala mentioned that drinks and rooms weren't everything they did here, what was she talking about?" Then he finishes his drink and pauses.

Kredine
2013-07-14, 03:59 PM
"More drinks, now that's the kinda talking we like to here."
The other two laugh.
"Now I can't be telling you about things like that per say, but once I've had my thirst quenched I might be able to tell you about our 'situation'"

Orran
2013-07-14, 04:13 PM
"You know, I should have known the way to get a goblin to talk was with alcohol, but hey, can't blame a guy for wanting to keep his coin to himself." Strixi laughs, "Ok, let's not go for the big secrets right away then, start with you guys, what makes goblins want to live in the big human city?"

Has anyone brought drinks to a table, or are customers expected to go to the bar?

Kredine
2013-07-14, 04:54 PM
She does not bring them to you, but Ashara has caught onto your conversation and has poured out four drinks.

"Want? I think you've missed a few things things here. That oath Ash was talking to you about, almost everyone in the pit is under that thing. That oath is the reason the pits exist. There are very few non-humans that 'want' to come to Osmath, Strix was it?, very few. You're a rare breed if you've come here your own accord."

Orran
2013-07-14, 05:12 PM
Strixi eyes Ash quickly, signalling he'll be right there "But there's hundreds of you, thousands maybe! No wonder the humans are living like royalty and parading around with enough weaponry to arm a marilith." He stands up to grab them.

At the bar, Strixi is counting out coins. "There's nothing quite like a fresh city to make a nomad feel stupid Ashala. You know, I've got to give them their credit, these humans sure know a thing or two about oppression." He waits to see if she has much more to add, then returns with the drinks.

"Yeah, I'm a strange breed. First thing, I've got ambition, you'll never meet another Kobold like me, but I'm fair. Gotta keep the peace if you want to get anything done." He takes a swig of his drink, apparently starting to settle in a little. "So just how strict is this Sharlang thing, first sign of impudence and off you pop, or does it have to be direct?"

Kredine
2013-07-14, 05:36 PM
"You keep saying that like the rulers want them here." Replies Ashara as she walks away to her lockbox.

"You're not the first Kobold with ambition, I assure ya. Its the most famous ambitious Kobold that's making things as bad for us as it is. It'll be even worse for you. Things weren't that bad before Kredine's lot started their desperate campaign for approval. As far as the Oath goes, its not so sudden. There are rules defined when we accept it. Where we can live, where we can go, what our jobs will be. That kind of thing. If we deviate too far, we are warned. A dull headache at first. Most stop at that point. Some don't. Some think that they'll be the one to survive it. Fools. If you continue to break the Oath, then the bad times start."
The first yellow goblin shudders, though the pale one sits silent, distant.
"Its not just a dull pain after that. Its like, well, its been described as"

"Torture"
His silence breaks.
"Its only ten seconds. But it feels like months. Months of blistering pain."
He finishes his drink in one.
"No one ever dies of the Oath."

Orran
2013-07-14, 06:05 PM
"Well they might not realize they do, but someone has to do the dirty jobs right?"

"Perhaps, but then I don't think anyone here's met him either, and if my ambition should be compared to anyone, the one that ascended seems flattering, if a bit extreme." It's obvious that Strixi realizes the goblin wasn't actually comparing him to a deity, nobody would be that arrogant, would they? When the talk progresses to the oath and the pale one speaks, Strixi seems to be paying a lot more attention, "Well I think that's all I need to know about it then really, let me tell you a few things about my culture."
Strixi proceeds to tell an amusing tale of how his half-dragon great grandfather, back when he still was in charge of the clan, tried to retrieve some powerful magic item from a buried desert tomb. It involves an androsphinx, several less than helpful lizardmen, and a type of fortune telling device the lead Kobold priest called 'the headdress of uncertainty.'
"and then the priest says "no, you're thinking of a phylactery of faithfulness, no wonder they were so angry!" man that guy was lucky bloodlines were so important."

[roll0]

Kredine
2013-07-14, 06:38 PM
As you return to the goblins she laughs.
"You know nothing little kobold"

-----------------------------------------

At first the goblins seem disinterested, but soon they are listening intently to your story. After you finish the orange goblin turns to the bar.
"What's the time Ash"
"Coming up to that time, ten minutes left"
The not so pale goblin's face drops.
"Already?"
"We haven't much time left, but you have been an amusement tonight, is there anything else you would like to know?"
[Time ~920]

Orran
2013-07-15, 03:38 AM
This whole place just gets more curious every minute, Strixi may yet come to like it, much less boring than home at least. "I think I've learnt enough for one night, but that tiefling girl left me wondering, any of you know her story? He figures he'll find out sooner or later, but wants to see what all this fuss is about, idly wondering if he should be prepared.

Kredine
2013-07-15, 04:04 AM
"The horned one? She arrived a few hours before you did. We don't often talk to new folk. They usually come talk to us."
All three goblins are drinking faster, now aware of their time limit.
"She came in with quite a lot of gear though, a bow, a large backpack, all sorts of stuff hanging off of it. Seemed to be wearing some armour under her clothes. Seems to me she'd been on the road some time. If that is all, we'd best be off."
He finishes his drink.
"I have a feeling I'll be seeing you tomorrow"

Orran
2013-07-15, 04:29 AM
"Yeah sure thing guys, I'm sure I can survive a day in the city, my plans aren't that dangerous." The kobold takes a look around, seeing if that time limit affected evryone or just the goblins. Regardless, he heads back upto the bar to sit with Ashala again. "Alright, so you're the most interesting then, but you're going to have to tell me where they scuttled off to, I hate living in suspense.

Kredine
2013-07-15, 08:38 AM
Most of the room seems to be getting ready to leave. Only the Orc remains, drinking alone.
"The farmers. They've gone home. They start work at dawn, so I cut them off at half nine. I don't want any of them blaming me for their Oath warnings triggering."
She pours herself a drink
"They get off work early afternoon though. Lessers do the early morning work, the common folk work start a bit later, around nine."

Orran
2013-07-15, 04:07 PM
"Well that's a dull answer, but I guess the pits aren't all that exciting. Listen, I'm only going to be around a few weeks, but I need to do a lot of research. I can handle the big stuff, but until I get some official papers, it's just going to be reading through a whole bunch of history books. Strixi doesn't say that like he actually considers it boring, just that most people would. "Do you know anyone sharp enough for that kind of thing that wants to earn a little coin?"

Kane is angling towards the door, ready to go hunting for the night.

Kredine
2013-07-15, 04:21 PM
She looks slightly taken aback.
"You want to hire someone to help you read?"
Her orange eyes look at you for a few moments.
"You can find plenty of common folk looking for work in the common grounds, especially the younger folk who aint started working on the farms yet. You'll have to find one willing to help a kobold though."
Ashara pours a drink just as the orc approaches the bar.
"Thank you kindly" says the orc in a refined voice, handing over some coin with a slight nod.
Ashara turns back to you.
"Have you not got any papers of passing then?"

Orran
2013-07-15, 04:37 PM
"No, I want to hire someone to read for me, it's basically just a case of taking down the location of every reference to dragons, then cross referencing them, categorizing by name, color location and date, and plotting them all on to a map of the isles. It should be simple, but slow and boring work." Strixi passes his now empty drink back, "I think another before bed wouldn't go amiss."

"No, should I? I was actually talking about papers of approval, so I can move my research into more restricted areas. I don't think many mages actually admit how little magic is involved and how much research. Not forgetting politics."

Kredine
2013-07-15, 05:29 PM
"Very few public buildings will let you in without them. They're quite important around here."
She pours you the drink.
"Its not just lessers, before you start spouting about oppression again. Everyone in the city has to carry them. I doubt you'll get into a library unless you can get hold of some"
She smiles coyly as she delivers the last line.

Orran
2013-07-15, 05:35 PM
"Oh great, and of course Baldeen didn't bother to mention them." Strixi smiles back. "I think you underestimate how good I am at getting to places I shouldn't be, but let's hear your solution before I go becoming an enemy of the state."

Kredine
2013-07-15, 05:40 PM
"Solution?"
She looks at you mock-quizzical, leaning heavily on the bar
"I wouldn't know anything about getting papers. I'm just a tavern owner after all."
She slides one of her hands towards you, before walking along the bar to clean some glasses, leaving behind a small piece of paper.

Finish your drink. Go to your room.

Orran
2013-07-15, 05:52 PM
You know, if we're going to be doing things like this more often, I should let you know I have a much more effective type of secret communication.

Apart from that, Strixi does as instructed. Once in his room, he uses detect magic to check for any magical signatures present. Kane waits on the windowsill.

Kredine
2013-07-15, 06:12 PM
"You know that trick of yours works better when it goes both ways"
Ashara steps into your room, followed by her Shield Guardian.
"You needn't be checking for magic. My constructs are all I need"

[You detect no magic in the area you were looking]

She closes the door, her orange hair shines in the moonlight.

"I can get you those papers little kobold. For a price."

Orran
2013-07-15, 06:25 PM
"It does work both ways, just try thinking at me. So long as I've said something to you recently and I'm aware of you, I'll hear." Sensing no magic, the kobold stops focusing. "You can't be too careful Ashala, or at least I can't here."

Turning round and facing her properly, he puts his haversack down on the bed. "Of course there's a price, there always is."

Kredine
2013-07-16, 06:05 AM
She laughs at you.

"Well if there wasn't how would I make a living?"

"Anyways, I have some papers here. I could give you this one for a few hundred gold."
She pulls out a rolled up piece of paper
"Its only good for another week though, and won't get you outside the common grounds. Or, I can give you this one"
She pulls out another paper.
"This ones good for a couple months. A research paper, it'll get you into most of the libraries in the city, maybe elsewhere too. Of course this one will cost more than gold"

Orran
2013-07-16, 06:19 AM
"I imagine an enterprising girl like you would open a tavern or something. he smiles, bargaining, now that he knows a little about.

Listening to the two options, and pretending to think about them, he opens the window for kane. "Careful out there buddy, remember there's plenty of things that think a bat is prey." Strixi refreshes the defensive spells on the bat, who flies away.

"More than gold? So we talking platinum here? the sorcerer asks coyly.

Kredine
2013-07-16, 05:57 PM
"I'm sure you could offer enough platinum, but I had something else in mind. A job. Something that need not be connected to me. Something to be done while I have an airtight alibi."

She spins the papers around.

"Interested?"

Orran
2013-07-16, 06:04 PM
"Now we're talking, you'll have to be more specific though." Strixi is itching to take the papers, but holds his claw back for now.

Kredine
2013-07-16, 06:41 PM
"That's what I like to hear. The twitchy hobgoblin you might have seen earlier. He's a mad old wizard, with quite a few secrets."
Bored of standing, she takes a seat on your bed.
"My sources tell me he is in possession of an interesting book. Useless on its own, but with its partners, quite something. I'll need you to find a way into his home, tomorrow, while I am elsewhere - with many witnesses. If you have the book tomorrow evening when I come to collect your room money, you can have the paper. Feel free to keep anything else you find."

"Do we have a deal?"

Orran
2013-07-16, 07:08 PM
"Oh that guy, mad old wizard huh?" Says the kobold, while attempting to remember when the hobgoblin left.

"Standard breaking and entering I can handle. A wizard mark makes life a little more interesting, do you know his address, what the book looks like and if he lives alone?"

Kredine
2013-07-17, 03:09 AM
"Of course"
She hands you a crude map of the pits, indicating the hobgoblin's house.
"You're looking for an old book. Quite thick, it will be titled and written in a language you likely wont understand. As far as I know he lives alone"
She lifts herself off the bed.
"From what I've overheard of his ramblings he has the place warded against intruders. I'm not sure how though, but I expect a capable little sorecerer to be able to handle it."
She leaves the room, closing the door behind her.

Orran
2013-07-17, 04:27 AM
Strixi decides to seize the opportunity to do some early scouting, so he transforms into a pseudodragon, grabs his equipment, and flies out the window towards the area the map indicates.
Once nearby, he lands on a roof a couple of houses over and assesses the situation, casting detect magic and focusing on it to study each window and the roof of the building.

Kredine
2013-07-17, 04:15 PM
The house is a single floor, with two windows on the east side, and a single door. There is no discernible entry through the roof. Each window has a faint magical aura.

Orran
2013-07-17, 04:46 PM
Strixi takes the time to identify the individual auras.
[roll0]
[roll1]

For reference, the DC to detect the school of the spell present is 15+ spell level. I have also assumed that when you said faint, that indicates CL <5.

Spells Remaining:
3rd: 3 (Cast 2 Heart of water)
2ns: 6 (Cast 1 Alter Self)
1st: 5 (Cast 2 Mage Armor)
Cantrips: 5 (Cast 2 Detect Magic)

Kredine
2013-07-17, 04:50 PM
You fail to determine the spells schools.

Orran
2013-07-17, 05:01 PM
Puzzled by the complexity of the defensive spells, Strixi flies over to the building and inspects the roof, seeing if there are any loose tiles or any other small holes. He only needs a space 6 inches across to gain entry, which is the same as a standard rat.

Kredine
2013-07-17, 05:08 PM
By simply flying over the roof you cannot discern any holes that would be suitable for entry.

Orran
2013-07-17, 05:10 PM
Strixi lands on the roof because he is a daredevil.
Take 10 on move silently gives 13.

Kredine
2013-07-17, 05:13 PM
Upon closer inspection you can still not find any holes in the roof. There are signs of many repairs across the roof. Perhaps the crazy hobgoblins is scared of this exact scenario.

Orran
2013-07-17, 05:20 PM
Wanting to avoid entering through any of the standard entrance points, Strixi flies to the ground and inspects it to see if he could burrow through it, hoping there would be a rat's nest or other area underneath the floor boards somewhere that he could get to.

Kredine
2013-07-17, 05:26 PM
The ground is mostly cobbled stone, though there are small areas of mud and soft dirt nearby the house where grass and other plants have grown.

Orran
2013-07-17, 05:32 PM
A small patch is enough for Strixi, so he transforms into a wyrmling white dragon and burrows under the house, attempting to find any way to the floorboards, any animal nests or warrens, any gaps in the soil due to erosion or earth movement, or pretty much anything other than ground.
This is difficult since he posseses no form of tremor sense or similar, so he moves at half of his 30ft movement speed.

Kredine
2013-07-17, 05:35 PM
After a short while of search, you find - oddly - a patch of dirt leading into his house, roughly 2ft by 3ft, with neat edges and roots coming through it.

Orran
2013-07-17, 05:57 PM
Strixi briefly laments his lack of knowledge about the natural world, but quickly overcomes it because nature is for sissies.
He bites the largest root pretty hard, if this were some kind of magic plant monster it would probably react in some way. At which point the Kobold/Dragon would burrow away like a sissie.
The lingering feeling it would be nice to have a fire breathing bat around continues to linger.

Kredine
2013-07-17, 06:14 PM
The root does not react.
There is a bitter taste in your mouth

Orran
2013-07-17, 06:18 PM
Assuming he does not die through some odd kind of posion based plant trap for subterranean invaders, Strixi cautiously pokes his face through the dirt.

[roll0]

Kredine
2013-07-17, 06:22 PM
You poke your head just above ground. There is a thicket of plants in your vision. You can mostly make out a small room however, which appears to be a herb patch of some kind.

Orran
2013-07-17, 06:26 PM
Deciding that a useable entrance is probably enough work for one night, Strixi returns to the worthless rest and goes to sleep, leaving the window open for Kane.

Kredine
2013-07-18, 02:06 PM
The sound of bells penetrates your sleep. Light is just coming in through your window. You can hear the scuffling of feet from outside the windows. It seems the farmers are going to work. It would be easy to wake now and feel rested, or you could grab some more sleep.

Orran
2013-07-18, 03:05 PM
Knowing that he needs 8 hours has made Strixi quite lazy, he goes back to bed until he thinks most people would be awake proper. Feeling quite hungry after not really eating yesterday, he goes downstairs to ask where the best place for a hearty breakfast is.

Kredine
2013-07-18, 03:19 PM
As you go to head downstairs you notice two pieces of papers have been slipped under your door.

The first seems to be a note from Ashara, a standard pamphlet for new guests.

I hope you enjoyed your stay at the Worthless Rest. You may stay in your room until 12 noon. If you are still in room at this time, you will be charged for an additional nights stay. Breakfast is served at the bar, or there is a small restaurant just outside of the pits that will cater for all races before the hours of 2pm.

The second is a much shorter note.

We will see each other again.
-A

Down at the bar their are two Orcs, eating sizeable breakfasts. Neither Ashara nor her Hobgoblin partner are about. There is what appears to be another shield guardian at the bar, though this one is older, obviously damaged in places. On top of the bar is a sign.

No ones home right now.
Tinny the barman will serve you

Orran
2013-07-18, 03:58 PM
Hearing movement from inside, kane flies in through the window, apparently he had been waiting out there for the kobold to wake up, apparently used to his morning schedule.

Morning buddy, anything to report?
Assuming that his hunt was uneventful, kane does not respond.

After picking up the notes, the two of them head downstairs. That girl must be loaded, I'd probably take the days off too if I had that many construct servants. In fact, I should earn some scratch here and get her to find me one. Nodding politely to the two orcs, they head to the nearby restaurant.

Kredine
2013-07-18, 04:31 PM
A few streets outside the pit is a restaurant called Phil's Fine Foods. It is a small building, but outside there are many tables, with many customers enjoying the food.
There is a small queue to be seated, but it appears to be clearing at a moderate pace.
[Time ~ 8:30am]

Orran
2013-07-20, 08:12 AM
Strixi joins the queue, his appearance back to that of a dragonwrought, but otherwise normal kobold, he is wearing his hooded cloak, however for now he feels comfortable enough for the hood to be down, where Kane is taking a nap. While he waits, he takes stock of the clientele, they apparently will serve anyone here, but does that put off the humans?

Kredine
2013-07-20, 02:08 PM
At this time of the day most of the patrons are those of the lesser races. However, dotted around the tables are some humans, and other common races.

The queue clears some. You are the next to be served.

Orran
2013-07-20, 02:12 PM
As a Kobold, quality of sustenance has never been a key concern, consequently he orders a pretty much random dish, giving slight favor to one that sounds like it's packed with meat.

Kredine
2013-07-20, 02:21 PM
From the menu you pick out an item called "A Whole Days Meat". You are served a plate layered in meat, the first layer (Bacon) the size of the plate, with each layer (each a different meat) growing slightly smaller to form a vague pyramid of meat.

The dish costs you 1 gold piece.

Orran
2013-07-20, 02:54 PM
Impressed. The little dragon devours the pile clearly not meant for someone of his stature, in the desert this amount could have sustained him for a week nearly, but temperature is directly linked to appetite in kobolds.

When finished, he returns to his room and meditates to earn his spells for the day, this 15 minutes focuses his mind and body for whatever he intends to do. It is during this time that he realizes he doesn't really know what to do just yet today. His purpose here is research, but he can't get the first of his relevant papers until that night, clearly he'd need to get unorthodox to find the scaleless underbelly that exists in every human society. That's the problem with trying to enforce Law on a race that's not built for it, it just creates unnecessary bureaucracy and forces creativity.

Firstly, he heads to the market district to buy a normal nonmagical blank book, and some parchment, hoping to find a shopkeeper that will serve him without too much difficulty.

Kredine
2013-07-20, 03:06 PM
The waiter does seem surprised when he comes back to a finished plate.

"The tall folk rarely finish that meal. Well done sir."

You find a market stall selling the supplies you require, though it appears the market buildings only admit entry to those with papers of passing.

Orran
2013-07-20, 03:50 PM
"If I were to need magical items identified, but didn't hold papers of passing, is there anywhere I could go?" Strixi asks the stallkeeper.

Kredine
2013-07-20, 03:56 PM
"There's a stall past hoarder's treasures that'll do that for ya. It's twice as much as any of the other shops though"

Orran
2013-07-22, 04:58 AM
Strixi thanks the man and heads towards the stall he was told about, he takes a look at it then approaches the owner. "So how much are you charging for identifies?"

Kredine
2013-07-22, 03:05 PM
The gentlemen looks you up and down.

"325 gp buddy"

Orran
2013-07-22, 03:23 PM
"That's quite the profit margin you got there buddy. Now we all know that there's not a lot of options for some of us, but that's why I came to you first." Strixi says with a smile, wondering if the stallkeeper has worked out this is a little non-standard. "I'm in the city for a few weeks, and I can do it discount l, I'll subcontract under you, and identify 2 items a day, all I ask is 100 gold for both. I can drop by in the mornings, but you charge people whatever price you want."

Kredine
2013-07-22, 05:20 PM
"If you can do what you claim, ow come your coming to me? All sounds a little fishy to me"

Orran
2013-07-22, 05:24 PM
"I don't have the time to stand around and wait for people, and I bet there's a license required somewhere too. You have the custom already, so I figure we can both make a little more scratch this way." Strixi extends his claw. "Deal?"

Kredine
2013-07-22, 05:28 PM
He takes you to one side.
"Look, I can't be seen to be dealing with a kobold in public. I assume you're staying in the pits? I'll meet you in the worthless rest later tonight and we can talk about it"
He stands up straight.
"Look mate, its 325 and that's final"

Orran
2013-07-24, 05:08 PM
"Very well." The kobold says before he leaves.

There are a few things he can do over the course of the rest of the day, but first he figures that getting a research assistant ready for tomorrow would be useful, so he heads to the common ground that Ashara mentioned last night, hoping there will still be one or two workers there with a few brain cells.

Kredine
2013-07-26, 11:01 AM
[300xp for the bar scene, albeit a few posts late]

The common grounds is the ring of mostly housing that surrounds the rest of Osmath. The last section of the city to be built, after the city began to accept all citizens for entry. The common grounds hosts primarily commoners, most of which work the farms of tend for their families. Some skilled workers live here, though most of those trained in a craft reside in worker's home.

Exploring the common grounds it does not take you long to find some tattered children playing. They look like they could use some work.

Orran
2013-07-29, 03:22 PM
Tattered children doesn't really seem appropriate, not to mention how their parents could react, but it's a good start off point as any.

"Hey kids, your parents around anywhere?" says the kobold with a friendly demeanor, attempting to seem as uncreepy as possible.

[roll0]

Kredine
2013-07-29, 04:21 PM
The children seem intrigued, even excited about your appearance. Ignoring any normal social boundaries they surround you, poking and prodding at your skin.

Orran
2013-07-29, 04:30 PM
Strixi allows them to satiate their curiosity, Kane hops out of his hood and flies around the childrens heads. After a minute or so Strixi asks the oldest looking child again where their parents are.

Kredine
2013-07-29, 04:33 PM
They children are entranced by you lively friend.
"Our parents are on the fields. Well, some of our mothers are at home, why you ask mister?"

Orran
2013-07-29, 04:50 PM
"Well I need a smart young boy or girl to help me with some reading, I imagine one of your parents could help me find one." Kane continues flying around, he's not that fast, but he is erratic.

Kredine
2013-07-30, 03:30 PM
"We're super smart mister! We can read. Or, if you need someone smarter than there's Ezzy!"

Orran
2013-07-30, 04:48 PM
"Well I need someone who can read and write, preferably a couple of languages for hours, could be pretty boring. Who's this Ezzy, is he an adult or just really smart?"

Kredine
2013-07-30, 05:48 PM
"No. He's not an adult. All the adults work the farm all day. He is smart though! I've seen him read lots of things!"

Orran
2013-08-05, 03:03 PM
"Yeah ok, sounds like he might be able to help, where is he at the moment?" The kobold says to the lead child.

Kredine
2013-08-05, 04:01 PM
"We could tell you where he is. For a price!"
The children giggle, still examining you intensely.

Orran
2013-08-06, 04:13 AM
"A fee? How about this, I show you a magic trick and then you tell me? the dragon says coyly, kane flaps about excitedly.

Kredine
2013-08-06, 06:32 AM
"I don't know mister. I think we deserve some coppers for our troubles."
The children nod in unison.
"We already get to see the old hobgoblin casting pretty magics!"

Orran
2013-08-08, 05:41 PM
"Tell you what, I'll show you the magic trick first, then you decide." Says the Kobold as he pulls out his rod and waves it impressively at the small children.

"Abracadabra" He says with his best spooky voice.

There is no visible effect, but the kid that said he knew where Ezzy was may or may not be much more willing to help now. (DC 15 Will Save vs Silent Charm Person)

"Oh, looks like my spell didn't work, think you could help me out anyway?"

1d20+12

Orran
2013-08-08, 05:42 PM
Re-rolling: [roll0]

Kredine
2013-08-08, 06:07 PM
"I guess I could show you where Ezzy is. No problem."
He starts to turn before he is stopped by the other children.
"Richard! He didn't even cast no magic! What are you doing!"

Orran
2013-08-08, 07:00 PM
"Now now children that's not very nice, Richard here is only trying to help, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Now run along before your parents hear about how mean spirited you were." The little dragon says, idly wondering if this is how human children normally learn to be careful around Kobolds. Then he stops wondering because he is an egocentric hypocrite.

If it seems the children need more persuading than that he says "I'd hate to have to tell them."
[roll0]
"Thanks, Richard, let's go take a look then."

Kredine
2013-08-12, 03:34 PM
The children face turn from awe to fear.
"Mean scaly thing!"
The children scatter, leaving Richard leading you through the streets.
As you are following the child you suddenly feel a hand gripping your shoulder.
"What do you think you're doing kobold!"

Orran
2013-08-12, 04:23 PM
Strixi turns round to properly assess the situation. Assuming it is a general passer by or guard, he says "I'm looking for some reasonably educated persons to help me with a little reading work, I was told all the adults work the fields, so children would be the best choice, Richard here told me he could introduce me to a boy called Ezzy who fits the bill. Isn't that right Richard?" The kobold smiles and prompts Richard to speak.

(A DC 25 sense motive check would be enough to notice Richard is charmed)

Kredine
2013-08-16, 10:25 AM
"Be that as it is. I'm going to have to see you papers before I let you continue"
The guard seems to be hailing some more guardsmen.

Orran
2013-08-16, 11:13 AM
"You mean my papers of approval? I haven't got them yet, I haven't even been in the city a day." the kobold says honestly. "I'm not doing anything that would require them anyway, is it really necessary to be calling in your friends?"

Kredine
2013-08-16, 11:20 AM
"Papers of passing, yes. All citizens are required to have them at all times. If you arrives yesterday you should have been taken in for processing immediately. That you were not implies you made your way in through illegal means."

He draws a sword.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to come with me"

Orran
2013-08-17, 04:10 AM
Strixi smiles at the guardsman, he should have stalled a little longer before drawing his sword. "Papers of passing? Oh my mistake, those are at home, I'll go get them now." He then transforms into a wyrmling white dragon and burrows underground.

I guess there should be initiative here really, there's no chance of a surpise round for either party. My action, should I win is Nerveskitter > Alter Self > Burrow 30ft
[roll0]

Kredine
2013-08-19, 05:07 PM
[Initiative : 8]
The guardsmen swings but you are long gone before his blade comes close.

Orran
2013-08-20, 03:36 AM
Strixi curses to himself while burrowing away, that situation could have gone far better. Could have been worse too though. The lizard burrows for a few hundred feet, then pops his head out, if there's nobody around, he flies from rooftop to rooftop to the hobgoblin wizards home, if not he burrows further until the coast is clear.

Kredine
2013-08-20, 06:08 PM
Though guards are present the first time you raise your head, it does not take long until you find a suitable exit hole. With ten minutes you are back in the pits, successfully on the top of the hobgoblins house.

Orran
2013-08-21, 03:31 AM
The tiny dragon takes a moment to prepare, casting his two defensive spells. Then he sneaks back into the building in the same manner as the previous night, shortly before surfacing, he casts detect magic and focuses on it for the necessary time. Hoping not to spot any moving auras, if it appears safe, he surfaces.

Kredine
2013-08-21, 09:24 AM
The same auras remain as in previous encounter. Surfacing you see an empty room before you, plants still obscuring your vision.

Orran
2013-08-23, 07:33 AM
Sticking to the shadows, and treading lightly, Strixi explores the house, he continues to focus on his spell, hoping to identify magical auras of any potential traps, or even lootable items. Specifically, he looks for books, but any scrolls, wands even walking sticks get a second glance.

Taking 10 on hide and MS for 25 and 13 respectively.

Kredine
2013-08-30, 08:35 AM
Once you surface from the small garden you can see that the majority of the walls are lined with bookcases, each full with books. Above the garden is a collection of what appear to be potion ingredients. There is also a wall and door separating off part of the house.

Orran
2013-08-30, 08:43 AM
Not one to miss an opportunity, Strixi quickly checks the book titles for anything relating to dragons, perhaps he can accomplish more than one goal while here. Kane flies over to the door to keep an ear out with his superior listen check and blindsense.

[roll0]

I would petition for a synergy bonus from K.Arc here, but Strixi only has 3 ranks.

Kredine
2013-08-30, 09:31 AM
A few titles take your attention.
'History of the greater dragons'
'The eternal dragon war'
'101 ways to cook dragon meat'
And one that, translated from draconic roughly reads 'Dragons in the bedroom'.

Orran
2013-08-30, 11:31 AM
The little dragon smiles, this was excellent luck, in fact, a wizard with such a large library could be a valuable ally on its own. He is tempted for a second to just forget the mission and instead befriend the hobgoblin, instead he formulates a plan, quickly making an estimate of the word count of the first two books.

Knowing he has little time to waste, he leaves the books where they are, and leaves the room through the door Kane is guarding, assuming of course that the old book written in an unusual language was not on the bookshelves. Continuing to stick to the shadows, he explores the rest of the house.

Kredine
2013-08-30, 05:46 PM
You cannot locate the book you are looking for. From this room you can see the house's front door, the house's only window, and a metal door.

Orran
2013-09-06, 06:37 AM
Strixi checks the door for safety, first detecting magic on it, then briefly checking it for the most basic of traps. Meanwhile kane Listens at the door for any sign of movement behind.

Unless any of those provide cause for concern, he attempts to open the door.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kredine
2013-09-06, 02:21 PM
You find nothing that would concern you, the does not even have a keyhole.

As you open the door however you are bathed in a sharp light. If not for your time spent under the harsh suns of the Broken Isles you would surely be dazed.

As your eyes adjust to the new source of light you can see the room beyond the door is quite different. Some form of metal seems to cover every inch of the wall. Glowing stones levitate not far from the ceiling, bathing the room in light. There is a small book case, one bed and two chests in this room, as well as a crude brewing stand.

Orran
2013-09-06, 05:08 PM
The kobold is still surprised by the bright light, he hadn't considered hobgoblins light lovers. This mage was more interesting as time went by, but then you can't be friends with everyone.

Not particularly concerned about wasting cantrips, strixi detects magic once more, focusing first on the bookshelf, then on the chest, attempting to identfiy any auras. Afterwards he does the same with any other auras, such as the stones'.

For each aura, he has +7 to identify it, if kane can roll above a 7, that's enough for the +2 from aid another.

Kredine
2013-09-08, 11:39 AM
There are six auras detectable in the room
The stones hanging from the ceiling are affected by the light spell.
There are two chests, each effected by an abjuration, one faint and one moderate. There is another moderate abjuration, which you recognise as the spell alarm, that seems to affect the space covering the bookcase alone.
On the bookcase are two auras, the first is an abjuration you recognise as explosive runes attached to a book.
The second, attached to another book is an aura from a school you do not recognise. Simply concentrating on its aura is enough to cause you nausea, your vision blurring before the detect magic sleep unexpected ends.

Orran
2013-09-09, 06:06 AM
Strixi smiles, glad he took the time to check the auras, this room could have been dangerous otherwise. Knowing that in his current form, he is too small to set off the alarm, he carefully searches the bookcase. Looking first for the target book, then any other books about dragons, then taking a look at the necronomicon nausea-inducing book, carefully avoiding the trapped book.

Kredine
2013-09-09, 12:23 PM
The books in this room are almost entirely spell books, and through your searches you see no mention of dragons. You carefully avoid the spine of the trapped book, glimpsings only the words "I prepared .... .... morning", but not enough to trigger the spell.
You do however find four books in languages you do not recognise. The final of these is the nausea inducing book. At each end of the spine is a golden shield, with words you cannot comprehend between them.

Orran
2013-09-09, 04:45 PM
Spellbooks are completely worthless to the sorcerer, so he naturally ignores them. This nausea inducing book seems to be the likely target, afterall ashala did say he would know it when he saw it. He puts it into the haversack and leaves the rest of the bookshelf alone.

Turning to look at the chests, he faces a tough decision, they are clearly protected, but is it worth investigating them further. This is a robbery after all, but the temptation to slip in, grab what he came for and slip out is pretty strong. In the end he decides to leave them, there's one more important thing to do first.

Leaving the bedroom almost entirely untouched, he heads back to the first room, takes down 'the history of the greater dragons' and 'the eternal dragon war' and sets them on the floor in front of him. Then he gets out his writing materials, and uses the amanuensis spell to start copying the books. The process takes 1 minute per 250 words. On a whim, he also decides to try and copy the magical book.
Amanuensis is unable to copy magical text, so if the text itself has magical qualities, his attempt should fail. Success would indicate that the spells magical aura is an imitation.

Kane flies to the hallway and hides next to the window, keeping an eye out, ready to warn strixi through their empathic and telepathic links.

1d20+14

Orran
2013-09-09, 04:48 PM
Let's try that again.
[roll0]

Kredine
2013-09-09, 05:09 PM
The first two books copy without issue, filling the provided books appropriately.
The third one also begins copying, but as the pages fill, they begin to erase almost as quickly.

The books take roughly forty minutes to finish copying.

Orran
2013-09-09, 05:22 PM
Satisfied with the progress, Strixi returns the books to their positions, stashes the stolen book and their copies, and absconds the way he came in. Kane accompanies.

He returns to the worthless rest and more specifically his room, flying in the window if possible. If not he dismisses his spell and goes in the main entrance. Once there he takes the book out of his haversack and attempts to identify it. (As the spell)

Kane has a nap, he's worked hard today.
Timecheck?

Spellcount
Cantrips 0/6
1st: 3/7
2nd: 6/7
3rd: 5/6

Kredine
2013-09-09, 05:48 PM
[Time ~230pm]

You attempt to identify the item. Normally the knowledge of an item would flow through your brain, like a rush of ecstasy filling your brain with information.

This identify is not normal.

Every inch of your head screams in agony, as though the book itself opposes you with all its might. You sight is engulfed by a white light before you drop to the floor.

There is a girl kneeling before an alter.

The room spins around you, you sense rebelling against you.

She is praying. Chanting an old tongue

A high pitch ringing invades your ears. Your stomach convulses.

From her back spreads two, beautiful angel wings

Liquid spews from your mouth. There are knocks at the door.

Light surrounds her

"Strixi?!"

Something stirs behind her

"Strixi!!"

And then it leaps

Your room door bursts open, Ashara rushing to your side.

Eventually your senses return. You are sat up against the bed, Ashara tending to the fluids spilled from your mouth.

"I should have warned you about that ey?" She says, laughing, but not earnestly. "My apologies little kobold"

Orran
2013-09-09, 06:00 PM
"What? No, I just ate too much meat for breakfast. Must have caught up with me during my siesta." he says casually, like being found throwing up on yourself is completely normal. "Oh what an interesting book, I wonder where it came from." he adds conspiratorially.

Kredine
2013-09-09, 06:24 PM
"It comes from long, long ago little kobold. From the very beginnings of this great city"

Seeing you awake, and arguably okay, her attitude picks up.

"But that's not important now is it?"

She walks over to the book, picking it up and throwing the papers towards you.

"If you find anything marked with these golden shields, I would avoid casting magic on them in the future."

She walks out of the room muttering to herself.

"The old ways do not like the new ways"

She's about to close the door when she turns and says

"Oh, tonight's room is on me."

Orran
2013-09-10, 06:17 AM
"Much appreciated Ash, one more thing though. I'll be up here for a couple of hours studying, soon a stallkeeper looking for me should come in, could you send word when he does please?"

Assuming she does, the kobold sets to work reading through his new reading material, just getting a feel of it for the moment, working out what sort of times the books cover, and how close the authors were to the source material. Perhaps if they're still alive, visiting them could be a logical next step.

Kane fiercely continues his nap.

Kredine
2013-09-12, 07:42 AM
[Current date 4th day of the 6th moon, 4335]

The first title, 'The history of the Greater Dragons', was published in the year 4303. The book seems to mostly a collection of other people's information. The author - Periast Dregary - has however collected information from many, many sources.

The second title, 'The Eternal Dragon War' is more recent, published in 4314 by a one Lieutenant Reeoshkin. The book details many first hand accounts of incidents between the forces of Bahumat and Tiamat, as well as a wealth of secondary research. The author however is a Dragonborn of Bahumat.

[Time : ~ 3:30pm]

You are not expecting your guest for another few hours at least.

Orran
2013-09-12, 03:31 PM
Pleased with his fantastic finds, Strixi has an idea, taking a note of the authors, he stashes away his books and goes downstairs.

"Change of plans Ash, I'll be back in an hour or two."

He takes a quick look at his new papers, then heads for one of the libraries he was told about. Attempting to stay out the way of anymore guards if possible (take 10 on hide for 20.)
Question: do the papers describe the bearer at all? (Would be pretty useless if not)

Kredine
2013-09-19, 05:33 PM
[The papers of passing describe the bearers name, race and reason for having the papers. The papers also describe where you can access in the city. Yours gives you free movements through the Common Grounds and the entire middle circle, excluding the Eklion District and the King's Market. The ones Ashara gaves you had these details filled in, describing you, when she gave them to you.]

Within the city there are many libraries. There are two in the Common grounds, one in the Temple District, one in Auderran Park, one in Sister's Court and one in the Eklion District. Given the size of the city, the only one you are likely to make it to, search through, and return in time is the one in the Sister's Court.

Updated Osmath Map : http://imgur.com/Yt3Uah6

[Side Note. Traversal time across the city may fluctuate until I have things nailed down.]

Orran
2013-09-21, 11:30 AM
[Perfect]

Strixi heads to the sister's library, in his native form, which is no slower than a normal tallfolk. Overall he's feeling good about how things have gone so far. With one small exception, he hasn't had any issues. The humans weren't even as bad as expected, one day they could even come to appreciate dragon rule, as kobolds do.

Definitely still much to do though.

Kredine
2013-09-22, 05:22 PM
As you are leaving the bar you are confronted by two armoured men.

"Excuse me Sir. We're looking for a Kobold who escaped Red custody earlier today. Could I see your papers of passing please?"

Orran
2013-09-23, 04:13 AM
"Of course, is he considered dangerous?" the kobold asks as he produces his papers.

Kredine
2013-09-23, 05:31 AM
"Thank, er, Strixi. We have yet to ascertain his motives, but we cannot risk putting anyone at risk. Even you good folk in the pits."

He passes back the papers.

"Well everything seems to be in order with you. Good day"

Orran
2013-09-23, 06:11 AM
"I thank you for your concern, good day gentlemen." he says, feeling a little smug. Assuming there are no further interruptions, he makeshis way to the library.

Kredine
2013-09-23, 06:20 AM
You make your way to the Sister's Court. Unsurprisingly, you are stopped at the entryway to the district. Two ladies, clad in shining armour stop you.

You notice each of the ladies has two white shields adorned on their armour.

"What business do you have with the Sister's kobold?"

Orran
2013-09-23, 06:25 AM
"I merely wish to visit your library for research. There is an author I have an interest in and I hope you have some of his works." Strixi says, entirely truthfully, adding "I have papers of passing."

Kredine
2013-09-27, 04:09 PM
One of the ladies takes your papers, examining carefully.

"Hmm. Everything seems to be in order here."

She passes the papers back.

"The Court is a highly regulated area, you will have to be escorted while you are within it"

She touches the shield on her chest before saying to the air

"Escort to the Sister's Library"

Within a few minutes another armour clad woman arrives.

"Follow me please Kobold"

Orran
2013-09-28, 11:24 AM
"Very well. It is only a short visit anyway." Says the kobold, and follows the sister. As he walks, he examines his surroundings, curious about the areas purpose. After a while, curiosity gets the better of him.

"Tell me sister, what is your role in this city? Religious leaders?"

Kredine
2013-09-28, 04:18 PM
"New to the Zeta Isles?"

She says, looking at you curiously.

"Religous, yes. Leaders, no. We are part of the Order, though we act independently from the council. The sister's court is the central command for the sister's across the isles. Any other questions little one?"

Orran
2013-09-29, 04:59 AM
"In a way, it was only recently I left my tribe. We are very isolated and our home is far removed from politics with humans." from what he had gathered, differentiating himself from the kobolds who followed this 'kredine' would only make him look better.

"I see. In our society everyone answers to the all-watcher, acting independently is not generally encouraged. Unless a great scaled one patronizes us, then some of our greatest serve directly."

When prompted for any other questions a thought strikes Strixi "When I entered the city, I met a dragonborn named Baldeen. What can you tell me of him, is he one of yours?" If he was to be escorted, he may as well make small talk.

Kredine
2013-09-29, 06:14 AM
"I See. The broken isles I assume? As for Baldeen, if memory serves he's a captain in the law enforcement division. A green to most. You'll find no men in the sisterhood, though there are some which wear the white shield. "

Orran
2013-09-29, 01:35 PM
So the shields represented the guards' divisions. That must be what they had meant by red custody. Although custody seemed a bit optimistic.
"That makes sense, are there any other divisions that are often seen around?" Strixi asks, whiling away some of the journey.

Kredine
2013-09-29, 01:49 PM
"There are five major divisions of the Order, though you'll likely only see three of them around the city. The Sisterhood of the Lightbringers - the whites, the military - the reds and Law Enforcement - the greens."

Orran
2013-09-29, 01:55 PM
"I actually chose this library due to proximity. I'm in the city for research, do you know which of the libraries would be best, for arcane or general purposes. Come to think of it, is there a center of magic in the city. So to speak?" He figures there's still a few areas that he could use information on.

Kredine
2013-09-29, 02:07 PM
"Hmm. I'm not versed on the arcane side of magic. I fear the Sister's Library will yield few results for you. Most of the tomes are religious, historical or political in nature, though I myself have not spent a great deal of time their. The priests and loremaster's there may be able to give you a better idea though. As for magic, besides the divine casters of the Sister's and Temple District, there is little in the way of organisation. The Arcanum Obscura does not hold an official location in the city, though there are many magic dealers throughout the markets of Osmath"

Orran
2013-09-29, 02:17 PM
"At this point I'm only really checking for other works of known sources. If this turns out to be wasted time, I can handle that." Idly flicking his tail around as he walks, an exaggerated form of the natural motion of walking.
"I've not been here long, but it appears there are regulations governing everything, is there anything in place for the lesser races." realizing he has been very vague he adds "I mean for their representation, any of us in respected positions around the city?"

Kredine
2013-09-29, 02:35 PM
"Well those who attend to the library should be able to help you with."
She chuckles at your next statement.
"Well there is a reason we're called the Order after all. Rules and regulations kinda come with the title. As for non-humans, they're not uncommon within the Order. Many have skills directly applicable to work with the reds and greens, and those so inclined oft find themselves in the service of the blues and purples. They are rarer amongst us whites, though not unheard of. In the city however, they are few and far between. Since the recent wars the common folk have become more and more distrusting of non-humans, as so they tend to find work across the rest of the Isle instead."

Orran
2013-09-29, 02:43 PM
"The blues and the purples, what do they do?" he asks, secretly hoping that he won't have to meet them. His instinct tells him they could be a bigger concern, should it be in the wrong circumstances.

Kredine
2013-09-29, 02:51 PM
"Oh right, I didn't explain those. The blues are the Arcanum Obscura, the magic elite of the Order. The purples are the Psionic Veil. With luck you'll never meet any of their higher ups. I never said this, but, they're all weird."

Orran
2013-09-29, 03:41 PM
The kobold chuckles a bit at the way she mirrors what he was thinking "Weird huh? I guess us magic types can be, especially those all cramped up in city life." At a loss over what else to talk about, strixi walks the rest of the way in a comfortable silence. Unless the sister decides to mention anything else.

Kredine
2013-09-29, 04:18 PM
She musters some more meaningless small talk, but nothing of import. Before long you arrive at a stunning building. Like the city walls, the library is a shining white, standing two stories tall. The front entrance is a double door, forged of silver metal, literally beaming with light. The doors are set in a white marble doorway, intricate flowers carved in to them. Above the door, set into the wall is silver shield, who's light captivates you. You are unaware of how long you have been staring before the Sister's speaks again.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

She puts a hand on your shoulder.

"Come on little one, lets go inside."

She opens the doors and leads you inside, where she approaches a lady dressed in white and blue robes.

"Sister Alendra, I have a scholar of sorts here for you."

She turns back to you.

"When you are done, inform the Sister here and I shall escort you outside of the court".

Your escort leaves the library, and Sister Alendra faces you.

"Well then, Master... sorry I didn't catch you name?"

[The library is beautiful and religious and stuff. Description may come later]

[900 exp for house]

Orran
2013-09-30, 05:57 AM
"Strixi is what I'm called. Good afternoon Sister Alendra, I was hoping for a little help, I'm not all that familiar with such large libraries," he begins, taking out a slip of paper with the authors names on. "My research so far brought these names to my attention, I thought perhaps they may have other works that could be of use.

[Strixi is totally amazed and stuff. Or perhaps a little disdainful of such a garish building, his character isn't totally nailed down yet.]

Kredine
2013-09-30, 09:35 AM
[He can be both. Emotional conflict and all that]

She looks at both of the author's names.

"Well, I recognise both of these author's names. As far as I'm aware the only work of Reeoshkin is The Eternal Dragon War, which I assume you must have already read. As for Periast Dregary, he is quite published - a well known historian. Are there any particular areas you are looking into? "

Orran
2013-09-30, 04:43 PM
Strixi quickly assesses what he can readily admit to saying, according to Baldeen, certain knowledge might take certain permission to persue, at least that was what he had gathered. "Yes, as a kobold, I have been taught that our magical ability comes from draconic lineage. Unfortunately our own history and knowledge is generally taught orally, so I am currently referencing our knowledge against that of other cultures. At this stage I am looking for evidence of dragons affairs with other races, although any other works about the history of the origins of arcane magic could be useful." Strixi pauses, hoping hoping that he has conveyed scholarly curiosity and objectivity, without obfuscating his own goals so much as to reduce the usefulness of the information granted.
"Perhaps Dregary would be a good place to start? He does appear to reference other works often. Does he have a biography?"

[roll0]

I'm going to go over a few things about the way I see Strixi's motivations and behaviour here, since I think I deserve a circumstance modifier on this bluff roll, which is quite important as it could greatly affect the main objective of this story, and the way the officials in Osmath consider Strixi.
Firstly, this kind of research is not massively odd for a mage. K. Arc is a class skill for wizards and sorcerers, so learning about dragons seems natural. A studious mage writing a thesis on dragons and their influence on magical learning sounds pretty plausible.
Secondly, this is not a big lie, kobolds, especially the desert kind, are not big on tangible knowledge. If one wanted to learn more conventionally, as Strixi has shown ability in, visiting other cultures could be necessary.
Thirdly, the real goal of locating living dragons is both far away and not exactly predictable, even if it was the overall goal of uniting the chromatic dragons in an attempt to overthrow humanoid civilization is way out there. Who would believe it possible, who would even attempt it? Strixi would, because he's a dreamer and a megalomaniac, but that's not apparently obvious. Whether it is possible is an entirely different matter.
I see this area of the plan as relatively safe, he may be in enemy territory plotting against them, but the overall plan is levels, perhaps decades in the future. This studying and espionage fits excellently with the build so far, and potential role playing in the future. The way he has gone about it also screams Lawful Evil to me, so excellent progress all round.

Kredine
2013-09-30, 05:20 PM
She seems slight overwhelmed by your somewhat lengthy and unnecessary explanation.

"We have some of his work here, though the pieces we hold are all religious in nature. As for dragons, I could direct you to pieces on the dragon gods or their religions?"

She stops for a moment, tilting her head slightly.

"Alternatively I could give you the locations of all works by Dregary in the city?. Well, all of those in libraries at least."

Orran
2013-09-30, 05:23 PM
"Perhaps that last one then. I don't have a massive amount of time here today." He says simply in response.

Kredine
2013-09-30, 05:28 PM
"Well then, let me comprise a list. Should I call back Sister Shea once I am done?"

She grabs a quill and starts making a list.

Orran
2013-09-30, 05:57 PM
"Not just yet, if any of them are in this library, I will check them quickly to work oit which would be most useful"

Kredine
2013-09-30, 06:10 PM
"Well in that case I'll tell you those now, and then I'll finish up this list. You'll find three of his works in this library. A look at the Isles - Row 22, Case 9, Shelf 3. The Sister's greatest battles - Row 19, Case 5, Shelf 1 and A Look at the Order's Orders - Row 7, Case 2, Shelf 6."

She points towards each book as she describes them, then returns to her list.

Orran
2013-09-30, 06:18 PM
Strixi thanks the woman then goes to check them. It doesn't sound like there will be much to gain from them except perhaps contextual knowledge, but best to check. The man sounds knowledgeable, perhaps it would be useful to attemp to find him at some point.

Kredine
2013-09-30, 06:51 PM
A look at the Isles, published in the year 4308, is an overview of the religions observed across the isles, describing in some detail The Order, the Watermen, The Fire eaters, The Academy, Those of the Earth and The Dragon Disciples. It also covers many smaller religions, especially those of non-human tribees.

The Sister's greatest battles, published in year 4115, describes the most iconic battles with which the Sisterhood of the Lightbringers has been involved in since record begun.

A Look at the Order's Orders, public in year 4295, is a detailed list of the laws upheld by the Order, including possible origins for the laws.

Orran
2013-10-03, 06:30 AM
Well that was at least one question answered, Dregary is probably still alive somewhere. Probably an elf or a dwarf too, not many races live that long. It could be a good idea to track him down, or at least some of his sources.
Strixi takes a quick look in the religious history book, checking up on the dragon disciples on the off chance they have an active sect in the city.

Kredine
2013-10-03, 08:25 AM
The tome talks of eleven different dragon gods. Those notably active within the Isles are Bahamut, Tamara and Tiamat. Within the city there is a large Temple to Bahamut - as well as many devoted disciples - as well as places of worship for Tamara , Io and Lendys.

Orran
2013-10-13, 07:29 AM
Sensing that the useful information in this outing has now pretty much been gained, strixi heads back to the librarian, and assuming there are no other pressing issues, back to the pits.

Kredine
2013-10-13, 01:34 PM
The librarian hands you a note with the authors works around the city.

The note consists of over a hundred titles, detailing the library, isle and shelf number of each book.

[Assuming you have no more questions for Sister Alendra, we'll fast forward to the pits]

As you return to the Worthless Rest Ashara addresses you.

"Welcome back Strixi. No one has come calling for you as of yet"

Orran
2013-10-22, 04:32 PM
"That's always a good sign, it shouldn't be long though, I'll be upstairs." He says, and takes his papers upstairs. Knowing there's not enough time to really get into his actual work, he goes through dregary's bibliography for any relevant matches.

Kredine
2013-11-15, 04:10 PM
[There are relevant matches that I cannot think well enough to describe. For the sake of progressing the plot, there are and you can explore them when in game time allows]

There is a knock at the door, followed by a familiar voice.

"You're guest has arrived Strixi. I've poured him a drink on your tab"

Orran
2013-11-15, 04:25 PM
Strixi takes a moment to tidy his papers and recast his standard defense spells before heading downstairs, Kane flaps over and lands on his cloak, a lot more alert after his nap.
Once at the bar, he orders a mead and then joins his guest, "Greetings, the name is Strixi, I'm glad we could have the chance to meet in more relaxed circumstances." Kane lands on the table, ready to lend assistance if able.

Kredine
2013-12-02, 08:08 AM
"Indeed."
Says the gentlemen, then taking a drink from his mead.
"So what's your secret that you can be doing these identifies so cheap lad?"

Orran
2013-12-02, 08:27 AM
Strixi follows his lead, also taking a draught from his cup. "Well us kobolds have many secrets, afterall we are descended from dragons. Magic runs in our blood, and with dedication we are able to unlock it." Kane crawls around on the table a little, sniffing it, his wings showing their scales.
"Take Kane here, his draconic influence drew him to me. In my case though, I gained the ability to identify magical items. Sadly limited to a few times a day. If you'd like to test my ability, you are welcome to."

Kredine
2013-12-02, 08:15 PM
"My thoughts exactly."
He brings out an amulet and places it on the table.
"What's this then?"

Orran
2013-12-03, 07:19 AM
"Sit tight, this is no faster than normal." says strixi, before identifying the item, going into his usual trancing state, hoping this goes better than the last item he tried.

Kredine
2013-12-03, 04:44 PM
You focus energy on the object. Your brain comes alive with a familiar sensation, and the images begin rushing through your brain.

A man stands in his tent. Preparing for battle.
He dons his armours, puts on two rings, and an amulet.
His skin hardens, turns leathery under his armour.

Your senses come alive, Sights, sounds, smells, all flowing through your brain.

He rides into battle, arrows flying through the air.
One pierces his armour. It does not pierce the flesh.

You feel the arrow against your chest. Not cutting, just pushing against your breast.

The battle is done. He pulls free the arrow, and kisses the amulet.

[The item is an Amulet of Natural Armour + 2]

You come out of the trance to see the Amulet still here, your client sitting at the bar talking to Ash.

Orran
2013-12-03, 05:35 PM
Strixi approaches the man with the amulet, "I see you've met my host, I hope you were entertained while I was occupied." The kobold glances at the gnome, smirking slightly "I hope you didn't say anything bad about me Ash."

"This amulet is a lovely piece, I'm sure it's protected many fine warriors. It hardens their skin to be as strong as tree bark, and it's not the basic model either." Tossing back the trinket he adds "Ready to talk numbers?"

Kredine
2013-12-03, 06:09 PM
"Fantastic. Now lad, I don't get as much business identifying as you might predict, so here's the deal. I'll come by, once, maybe twice a week with a few items. You'll identify them and get them back to me. You'll get 50 gp per item, half up front, half when the job is done."
He finishes his drink, and offers up his hand.
"Deal?"

Orran
2014-01-04, 02:56 PM
"Well that will pay my rent while I'm here at least, I can't ask much more than that." Strixi says and shakes his hand. It bears mentioning again that he only really gets a hold of one finger. "If you find yourself needing a little support or an imaginative solution though, let me know. I imagine life for a street vendor can sometimes be a little tough with all those fancy shops about." He adds with a wink.

Before the vendor leaves, Strixi grills him for one last bit of intel "Hey, can I grill you for one last bit of intel? If I were a powerful and famous adventurer, rebellious noble child, or heroic soldier, where would I go in this town to boast about my latest feat of monster slaying?" It appears every so often the Kobold comes up with a new plan to track down dragons of any kind.

Kredine
2014-01-20, 11:14 AM
"I'll keep that in mind lad"

The vendor finishes his drink before answering

"I'm not really sure about that. There is an adventurers tavern in the Echerion District, called, erm. What's the name?"

"Bard of Isam" chimes in Ash.

"Aye, that's the one. I'll be off now kobold. I'll drop items off to Ash whenever I need them"

[Updated Map Link] http://i.imgur.com/h8CwOdq.png

Orran
2014-01-20, 04:53 PM
Strixi thanks the man as he leaves, then goes to the bar. "Ash, I'm sorry to be cheating on you with another bar, but I'm going to be doing some field research at the Bard. Anything you can tell me about it?" Strixi's previous encounters with adventurers have mostly been back with the clan, and very rarely friendly. "Bad eggs to avoid or whatnot?"

[Timecheck?]

Kredine
2014-01-20, 10:09 PM
[Time : ~ 7:30]

"I don't want to burst your bubble but its almost curfew Strix. Aint no way you're getting to the Bard at this time of night."

She pours herself a drink.

"The Bard's an alright place. The regulars are rowdy but the Barkeeps a nice guy. So long as you got papers and coins to spare he won't turn you away."

She takes a drink from her glass.

"That's not to say the clientele won't pick a fight. Most of the customers would've encountered Kredine's lot first hand. Those vicious little psions have made your kind public enemy number one around these parts."

Orran
2014-01-21, 04:51 PM
"Really? Just how difficult is it to sneak around this city at night?" He asks, mentally going through his various options for not being seen, but he shakes his head, apparently deciding against it. "Probably for the best, I know how rowdy adventuring types can be. Maybe I'd be best off talking to the barkeep in the day."

Sitting up on the bar with Ash, he finishes his drink, "How much do I owe you for drinks and the room tonight?"

Kredine
2014-01-21, 05:01 PM
"Well, any lessers out of the pits past curfew are subject to arrest. Waiting till tomorrow is certainly the sensible choice"

She mentally tallies your drinks for a moment.

"That's 3 silver strix."

Orran
2014-01-21, 05:19 PM
"Sooner or later that will get annoying I'm sure." the kobold says, handing over the silver, and ordering another drink. He sits at the bar and takes a look at who else is in today.

Kredine
2014-01-22, 08:37 PM
Today's crowd is more or less the same. A crazy muttering hobgoblin, a trio of dice playing goblins, two bickering goblins and a solitary half-orc. The gnolls and tiefling have not shown their faces today, however a tall man with green scales and reptilian eyes walks into the bar as you survey the room. A wolf follows behind him.

Orran
2014-01-23, 06:03 AM
"Recognize that one ash?" Strixi gestures towards the reptilian looking fellow.

Kredine
2014-01-23, 02:19 PM
"Never seen that one before." She replies, as the gentlemen approaches the bar.

"Sorry to interrupt," he says in a well spoken voice, reaching the bar. "Could I inquire about a room for the week?"

He turns to face you, clearly taking note of your green scales.

"And a drink for the dragonwrought"

"Rooms a silver a night, 6 for the week and 2 gold for the month."

She pours you your usual drink.

"And that's 5 copper for the mead"

"In that case I'll partake in a mead also."

He hands Ash a gold coin, and bows his head.

"Please do keep the change"

Orran
2014-01-23, 07:40 PM
"Well met, friend. The name's Strixi, who should I be thanking for this drink? Apart from my good friend Ashala here," He says as he nods to the gnome. "and what brings you to the city?"

Kredine
2014-01-23, 07:56 PM
"Greetings Master Strixi. My name is Sir. Eiling Chromahide, though many simply call me Chrom. It is a pleasure to meet another of draconic heritage."

He bows slightly once more, before gesturing towards his wolf.

"And this is Yarlang, another of our blood"

With the wolf so close, you can now see that under his fur are green scales. His claws and teeth are large, and his eyes stare at you with a familiar bright green colour. The wolf sees the same colour in your own eyes, and offers up a paw.

"I have come to town on Order business."

He pulls out a folded piece of leather and flips it open, revealing 5 green shields attached to the leather.

"You'll understand that I cannot discuss it further than that"

He puts the leather away.

"What about yourself?"

Orran
2014-01-23, 08:33 PM
"Sir Eiling is it? Excellent, I should also introduce my companion Kane." With perfect timing Kane drops down from the rafters he was perching in, landing on a stool near Yarlang, showing his own scales. "He mostly does his own thing, but lets me know if I'm about to be ambushed."

Strixi takes the paw from the wolf and nods his assent to Chrom's secrecy.

"I'm here for research, on my own genealogy more than anything. All I have so far is the name of the Dragon I'm descended from; Darastrix. This was a hundred winters back, and I don't know how old he was, so he could even be dead." Noting that Chrom's scales are green themselves, Strixi wonders how much the newcomer knows of his own, could there be even that many green dragons with much influence?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kredine
2014-01-23, 08:52 PM
[You identify this man to be Half-Dragon Human.]

"Trying to discover your ancestry. An honorable goal. I've always hoped to find my own origins, though my work has kept me busy."

He chuckles.

"Perhaps we share the same progenitor"

He offers our a finger to stroke Kane's chin.

"Have you been to the priests of Bahamut yet? They may be able to shed some light on the matter"

Orran
2014-01-24, 06:38 AM
"Perhaps, dragons are not common in the zatyr isles, two seperate greens intermingling within a small time frame seems... a stretch." Kane responds well to the dragonkin, employing his normal assistance.

"Not yet, as a scholar of sorts I've mostly been collecting some reading material first, but I will bear them in mind once I have a bit more to go on" Considering the man's position he adds "Have you dealt with them often?"

Orran
2014-01-24, 06:43 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kredine
2014-01-25, 07:47 AM
"Well, fine man, if you were to find information on your ancestry I'd very much like to know. However dragon's are plenty common for the zatyr isles. Just not very active. The priests of Bahamut tell of on oncoming war between the two dragon clans. I hope they are wrong in this instance."

"As an official of the Order I tend to deal with the priests of Tyr, Torm and Illmater more, but yes I have had dealings with them in the past. While they do not worship our gods, the Armies of the good dragon gods are important allies to us."

Orran
2014-01-25, 08:17 PM
"You'll have to forgive me, I come from a very isolated area, it's made it difficult to know much about the isles. I would be happy to keep you informed of any further information I find, but could you tell me more of this prediction? Any background would be useful." Kane asks, happy to have found someone with similar interests.

Kredine
2014-02-01, 03:48 PM
"Well, the minions of Tiamat and followers of Bahamut of have been at each others throats for centuries. Over the last fifty years however Tiamats side has been almost peaceful. Despite this s sightings of Tiamats armies are on the rise. Even rumours of the four kings have reached my ears.

Orran
2014-02-02, 06:57 AM
"The ancient god dragons? That could be dangerous for the isles, are their supporters active in the city?" Strixi's concern is genuine, if the chromatic dragon forces acted too early, it could set back any progress years. The most important thing would be to get involved and find out how prepared they were.

Kredine
2014-02-02, 07:58 PM
"Their status of gods had never been confirmed, but yes, those dragons. The kings of air, earth, water and fire. So far as I know Tiamat has no presence, or at least no significant presence in the city. Osmath does not tolerate the worship of evil gods."

Orran
2014-02-04, 06:49 AM
Strixi nods, seeing that Chrom, while friendly enough, doesn't seem to be the type to let information slide too easily. Content to enjoy the company of another dragonkin for the night, he exchanges stories and tales of his life before Osmath, getting Ashala involved in the conversation where possible.

When all is said and done, he casts Kane's usual protective spells, and lets him out to hunt for the night.

Kredine
2014-02-10, 05:08 PM
[Assuming you sleep]
You awake the next morning, Kane sleeping peacefully on the windowsill.

[Time 09:00]

Orran
2014-02-24, 11:29 AM
Strixi collects Kane, gently putting him in his hood to nap throughout the day. Then goes downstairs to have breakfast, deciding to stay in the rest for it today.

As he eats, he considers his options, he wants to go to the adventurer bar he was told about, but that would be best in the afternoon really, and of course he should probably get to work reading through the books he had acquired, and there was Chrom's suggestion of seeing the priests of Bahamut. Maybe that would be a good place to start, but without the papers of approval Baldeen had mentioned, the Kobold is a little unsure how much he can do openly. Those were still a week away at least.

Strixi mulls through his options while taking a look around at the other patrons.

Kredine
2014-03-14, 08:02 PM
[Your current papers of passing allow you into the religious district]

Ash approaches you while you eat.

"Morning"

Orran
2014-03-15, 02:24 PM
"Morning Ash, how's business?" the kobold says cheerily as he tucks in to his breakfast. Kane walks towards her edge of the table and fidgets around, looking up at her.

Kredine
2014-12-03, 06:44 PM
"Same as always Strixi. In a city like this opportunity is just waiting for the smart to take it by the hand."

She takes a sip from her drink.

"I've got a favour to ask, if you're still planning on paying the Bard a visit. I'll make it worth your while."

Orran
2014-12-05, 02:56 PM
Strixi smiles back at Ash, like one wolf to another. "My my, barely breakfast and my first opportunity of the day." Strixi glances around the room to check if anyone is around to overhear. If they are he makes an excuse to Ashala while switching to telepathy.

"What can I do for you Ash?"

[One thing I'm unclear of, Baldeen mentioned Papers of Approval, which I interpreted to mean that some things required special approval other than where you went. I assumed that a Kobold researching living evil dragons would be one such thing. Have I understood correctly?]

Kredine
2014-12-05, 03:20 PM
The few breakfast regulars sit scattered through the bar, none too close to overhear lest their ears are much sharper than their looks. Despite this Ashara seems more than happy to respond alike.

"I have some merchandise, needs to get to a fella who doesn't like to be seen around these parts. Unfortunately a lady in my position cannot get through a checkpoint in the city without being searched. Makes leaving the pits a tiresome activity."

"The bartenders an old friend of mind. Need you to pass on a message"

Ash starts drinking from her glass.

"With your papers you would only be subject to random search, which only about one in a hundred passers are subjected too. Get the merchandise to my contact and you get paid"

She puts the drink down.

"Remind the old fool he owes me some money yeah?"

"What do you say?"

Orran
2014-12-05, 04:03 PM
"I like 1 in 100 odds about as much as I like trusting humans with my life, which are the same in this case. Is there anything to be lost by bypassing the checkpoint?"

"Of course, I'll tell him to get it back by turn of the moon." Strixi handles the 2 conversations with ease, back home he used the same tactic to undermine the elders authority while agreeing with their every word. All for the good of the cause, but the Elders still hated him.

"So who's the guy, what's the cargo, and what's my share?"

Kredine
2014-12-05, 04:31 PM
"Well there's no way to bypass them on foot. You could try flight but it's risky. Waves of anti-magic force periodically rise from the city walls."

"Thanks, free drink on the house tonight"

Ashara leaves the table and walks back to the bar.

"The client goes by the name Dara. Wears a pretty distinct green cloak, should be easy enough to spot. Can't discuss the cargo, client privileges and all that."

She makes her way around the bar seeing to her patrons.

"As for you share"

You notice she is simultaneously holding conversations with both you and her patrons.

"We could settle this the old fashion way. 500 gold. Or, I could owe you a favour."

She looks you straight in the eyes

"I am a very influential women"

Orran
2014-12-05, 04:54 PM
Strixi Nods at the mention of anti-magic, that was useful to know. "I have my methods, I'll see if there's anything easy they've overlooked. I don't need to know what it is, so long as it's easily carried and not too heavy."

When it comes to fees, Strixi knows a bargain when he hears one. "Sure thing, you shine my scales, I'll shine yours."

Strixi finishes his breakfast and gets ready to leave for the morning "How much do I owe you Ash?"

"I'll be back around 2 for the cargo"

Kredine
2014-12-05, 05:25 PM
"I'll add it to your tab."

"It'll be in your room, waiting."

Orran
2014-12-06, 01:38 PM
Strixi heads upstairs to collect his things, before he starts thinking about his plans for the day, he meditates to regain his spell allocation. Going into this relaxed state he stops moving other than his tail brushing the ground lightly as he sits cross legged on the floor. His eyes do remain open, and gradually the green of his eyes sharpens until the magic colours it a shining emerald, which will dim through the day.

He breaks out of his reverie gradually, his mind sharpened with a course for day already half formed. He stands up, taking Baldeen's communication stone in his claws and placing it on his desk. There he focuses on it, and begins to identify its properties, from one trance to another.

Kredine
2014-12-08, 04:07 PM
You focus on the object. Boom. Lights and sounds roar to life in your mind. A dark room, no light, yet you see just fine.
A cloaked figure, a brazier of blood, a draconic prayer. A response from the dark, a stone appears from the air.
"Find the little beast, the Kobold so naive. Find him at the gates, make sure he doesn't leave"
"Give him this stone lest he need your help, give him the stone and guide the little welp"
"Of course master. I shall do as you prescribe. The runt will never return to his tribe"
The figure rises, taking the stone, leaving the room leaving alone.

[The item is a Draconic Stone of Calling, speaking the name of one who holds another of these stones will alert them telepathically and make them aware of your position to within 100 feet.]

Orran
2014-12-08, 04:52 PM
Strixi rises, pleased to know the stone could be used repeatedly. If only it could also convey a message. He puts it back into the Haversack with the rest of his gear, dons his hooded cloak, and goes out to face the world.

The best thing to do next would be to use this time to find an assistant, the little dragon only has one lead on it, but the brush with the guard is still fresh in his mind. Deciding that last time was a little too direct, Strixi tries to learn bit more about Ezzy from passers by in the common grounds.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kredine
2014-12-10, 05:57 AM
You roam the common grounds looking for clues about the fabled Ezzy. Every adult you talk to responds with a confused stare.
" Ezzy? Is the a dragon word? "
However, the first you speak to lights up when you mention Ezzy.
"Ezzy! He's super smart!"
As you discreetly ask the children of the grounds you learn that Ezzy is a secretive young man who has hidden himself entirely from eyes of adults. It would appear he uses an army of children to do his bidding and only a select few know where to find him, though none of them have been seen since a run in with a strange little lizard.

Orran
2014-12-11, 02:39 PM
Frustrated but not particularly surprised, Strixi walks back towards the rest, taking the scenic route to pass through a couple of checkpoints and get a feel for how they work. Looking mainly to see whether burrowing under them would be a possibility, like if he's walking over any stone areas. Under instruction, Kane flies 15 -20ft in the air looking around to see if there are any hidden guards or surprises.

On his walk Strixi is thinking about plans to find Ezzy

"...but diviners are expensive, and just annoying..."

"...or maybe if I just kidnapped a few children..."

"...where would I even find that many feral bats..."

Kredine
2014-12-18, 03:18 PM
[You have been passing through checkpoints all of this time but going in depth has never been needed until now]

Passing through the checkpoint is a reasonably efficient process, which barely slows traffic despite the heavy volumes of people passing through.
Each checkpoint splits the traffic into a series of points with guards checking the papers. So long as the passers by have their papers prepared each check takes under a second. Very occasionally a passer will be stopped for a random search. So long as no illegal contraband is found they may continue of their day. So far you have not been searched.

As far as you can tell the stone walls have strong foundations, with stone floors extended out from each of the walls. From what you have seen much of the city has stone floors or pavements.

Kane follows your path checking out the city defences. As previously seen pairs of soldiers patrol the borders roughly 100 feet from one and other. On the second ring of walls they extend upwards to 50 feet. On this wall archers stand 10 feet from one and other, each poised to fire at all times. At times these archers catch sight of Kane and take aim, sometimes from hundreds of feet away.

Orran
2014-12-29, 08:01 AM
Strixi and Kane return back to the worthless rest together to collect the package.

So the way I've been looking at it, there's a couple of options for the checkpoints.
1. Try and sneak through, over or under.
2. Charm an unsuspecting rube into carrying the cargo through for me.

For number 1, my plan would be to change into a dragon, probably a wyrmling white, and invisibly fly over the walls. Since I only have 1 scroll of invisibility, this is obviously a high risk maneuver, ideally I'd be looking to find an area somewhere that I could burrow under, but it seems unlikely. I could also potentially use Kane to distract the archers long enough to sneak between them.

I think number 2 would be a better plan, simply charm a peasant, give them the package, and telepathically instruct them as they go through, maybe even get myself searched so they're more likely ignored.

A couple of things I'd like to check:
1. Are there checkpoints in the common grounds? Assuming a route similar to this (http://i.imgur.com/slt49l1.jpg) would it just be one out of the pits and one into the Echerion district?
2. What kind of area is the Echerion district, rich/poor, markets, workplaces, residences?

Kredine
2015-01-23, 11:42 AM
There are checkpoints throughout the common grounds, though the walls that span the common grounds are not of the same calibur of those throughout the rest of the city, and generally not considered as part of the city defences, having been erected to prevent exactly what you are considering.

The Echerion district is is primarily home to adventurers. A district of riches but not wealth, nor class.Though home to some residence, the district is mostly for the passing of gold; Traders of weird and wonderful merchandise make their home here, as well as many ways for a lonely adventurer to pass the time...

Kredine
2015-01-26, 11:44 AM
When you return to the Worthless Rest Ashara is not to be seen, instead her 'First Mate' is is attending the bar. You notice also that her Shield Guardian is not watching over the bar as usual, though the Iron Defenders still prowl through the bar.

You head straight to your room, finding a tightly wrapped package on the bed, a golden shield on the top.

The package is about 3 inches in width and length, and roughly one inch high, wrapped in brown paper.