2006-12-08, 04:58 AM
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72263-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

*crosses fingers*

Lilly
2006-12-08, 05:08 AM
Now that, is shiny. :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-08, 07:27 AM
I resent the fact that Firefly is the "Star Trek of 21st-Century Sci Fi fandom." But that's only because I was obsessed with Futurama first. Other than that, this is...wow...this isn't just shiny. This needs a whole new faux-frontier slang word, but I guess "ruttin' shiny" will do. They've finally found a way to get me to subscribe to an MMO.

Logic
2006-12-08, 07:28 AM
I am somewhat torn on this.

Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly, but the users are what make or break an online game for me.

I would hate to see the Firefly universe corrupted by a bunch of "gimme stuff" n00bs.

Azrael
2006-12-08, 08:18 AM
I think it's just another unfortunate sign that the show *won't* ever come back.

And it kinda sounds good old fashion money grubbing to me. :smallfrown:

I wish I could go cuddle with my DVD set, but I'm at work.

Geech000
2006-12-08, 08:21 AM
It does sound like money grubbing. They'll make an online game out of anything that seems even remotely popular.

bosssmiley
2006-12-08, 11:42 AM
I would hate to see the Firefly universe corrupted by a bunch of "gimme stuff" n00bs.

Not a significant problem in the long term. Whole clans of bobblehat-wearing Jayne-clones dedicated to "ganking teh n00bs!" would arise, and thus would balance be restored to the virtual 'verse. :smallwink:

On a related, but non-MMORPG note: I hereby demand a "Jayne" spin-off series to "Firefly"! What? Whedon can justify 4 seasons of the emo abomination that was "Angel", but sees fit to tell us nothing more about our favourite hat-wearing, gun-loving, Canton-liberating buffet of manliness? Pathetic! :smallfurious:

beholder
2006-12-08, 11:49 AM
Dang Right! that angel feller was a no-good, dirty low-down....no good..feller. Now I know i'd make an excellent show....I could shoot stuff and get money....and wimmin' lots o wimmin....

but as me...
Why not just bring back firefly?!?
ignore the movie or set it inbetween movie and show...
becauseno matter how good the players of the MMORPG are, they dont have whedon writing for them....
godamn FOX....
Wow Deja Vu...

EDIT: lilly, how many posts do i need for a browncoat in the playground?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-08, 01:53 PM
On a related, but non-MMORPG note: I hereby demand a "Jayne" spin-off series to "Firefly"! What? Whedon can justify 4 seasons of the emo abomination that was "Angel", but sees fit to tell us nothing more about our favourite hat-wearing, gun-loving, Canton-liberating buffet of manliness? Pathetic! :smallfurious:Interesting fact delivered by sleep-deprived mind:

Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin played the (or one of the) Big Bads of the final seasons of Buffy and Angel, respectively. On a slightly less-related but no less spooky note, Morena Baccarin is playing the Big Bad in the last season of Stargate: SG-1. This leaves six more series to be concluded with a beatdown on a Firefly cast member. I nominate Summer Glau as an Alias nemesis or something.

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-08, 01:58 PM
I'm not a gamer in the computer/video game sense (give me pencil and paper RPGs and board games, anyday), so this really doesn't work for me, personally. I would prefer they bring back a second season of the show or another movie. At least, let us know what happened to everyone after "Serenity"!

Tom_Violence
2006-12-08, 08:54 PM
Yay! Because everyone knows that turning something into a MMOG just endears us to it all the more!

Now, if they made a decent game of it, avec multiplayer of course, then I'd be very interested. But not a MMOG, please. They're artisticly worthless, as handing anything over to several million people is sure to suck the life out of it.

JadedDM
2006-12-08, 09:30 PM
The party that worries me is that nowhere in the article does it mention that Whedon is affiliated with this at all.

Whedon can justify 4 seasons of the emo abomination that was "Angel",

Angel had five seasons.

Why not just bring back firefly?!?
ignore the movie or set it inbetween movie and show...
becauseno matter how good the players of the MMORPG are, they dont have whedon writing for them....
godamn FOX....

Because FOX owns all the rights to it, and Whedon has sworn off ever working with FOX again. Therefore, the only way Firefly will come back is if FOX gives up the rights or if they make it without Whedon.

beholder
2006-12-09, 04:22 AM
I know the legalities i just wish it wasn't so

Logic
2006-12-10, 05:41 AM
Whole clans of bobblehat-wearing Jayne-clones dedicated to "ganking teh n00bs!" would arise, and thus would balance be restored to the virtual 'verse. :smallwink:
Perhaps I would get the MMO just to be a member of just such a clan...
If such does ever occur, look for me as "LogicsJaynecloneofnoobgankness".
Though, I may have to select something a bit shorter, and more in character...

Matthew
2006-12-10, 12:27 PM
Bah! I liked Angel a whole lot better than I did Buffy. Don't get me wrong, Buffy had some classic episodes and Angel had some awful ones, but Buffy ran out of plot a lot earlier than Angel. I still don't get why they laid the smack down on poor old Wesley and Winifred, but overall I enjoyed it more.

Firefly was great, though Serenity, I thought, was rather poor by comparison. It was nice that they answered so many questions and brought about a decent resolution to the story, but I was left feeling (perhaps unreasonably) disappointed by it.

As for an online Massive Mulitplayer Roleplaying Game, well, I don't hold out much hope of it being very good and the phrase 'shameless cash in' does spring unbidden and quickly to mind. I doubt I will be setting foot there, but its nice to know Firefly is not entirely dead yet.

[Edit]

Nerd-o-rama, didn't you leave out Ginna Torres as Jasmine in Angel, Season 4? I suppose it's not an end of show season, but it's pretty close...)

Nathon Fillion - Caleb (Buffy, Season 7)
Adam Baldwin - Marcus Hamilton (Angel, Season 5)
Gina Torres - Jasmine (Angel, Season 4)
Morena Baccarin - Adria (Star Gate SG-1, Season 10)

Interestingly, Summer Glau and Jewel Staite have appeared as one off characters in Angel and Star Gate: Atlantis, respectively.

Logic
2006-12-10, 06:36 PM
Nerd-o-rama, didn't you leave out Ginna Torres as Jasmine in Angel, Season 4? I suppose it's not an end of show season, but it's pretty close...)

Nathon Fillion - Caleb (Buffy, Season 7)
Adam Baldwin - Marcus Hamilton (Angel, Season 5)
Gina Torres - Jasmine (Angel, Season 4)
Morena Baccarin - Adria (Star Gate SG-1, Season 10)

Interestingly, Summer Glau and Jewel Staite have appeared as one off characters in Angel and Star Gate: Atlantis, respectively.
Adam Baldwin was also a character in Stargate: SG1 somewhere in season 7-8.

Matthew
2006-12-10, 06:43 PM
That's right, the episode where the Doctor is killed, Heroes, I think, which would make it Season 7. He's the leader of SG-17 or something like that.

Fat Daddy
2006-12-11, 03:50 AM
I've never played a MMORPG but I just might have to give it a go if this actually takes shape.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-11, 06:18 PM
Matthew: Actually, I haven't watched any real amount of Buffy, nor any Angel outside a few episodes from the last season (featuring Adam Baldwin being all serious. Man, was that a culture shock. Although now he appears to be basically the same guy on Daybreak...) Anyway, there was that, and a friend of mine mentioned the irony of Fillion playing an evil preacher in the last season of Buffy.

And yeah, I know in general that Whedon uses actors he likes from one series as characters in his others, whether recurring or cameo, and that the Stargate guys tend to hire actors from unjustly canceled shows. To whit: Ms. Baccarin and Ms. Staite (she's getting a recurring role, you know), and Ben Browder and Claudia Black of Farscape. One more reason why I love SG-1, and can tolerate Atlantis.

Matthew
2006-12-11, 07:24 PM
Ah well, that would explain such an omission. She was some sort of reborn Demi Goddess in that season...

Yeah, I love the way SG-1 and Atlantis use these actors and actresses. Interesting to hear her role will be recurring. The 200th SG-1 Episode was freakin' hilarious, especially the ending. Interestingly, Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge turn up in Andromeda as well, from whence Lexa Doig comes... too many intersections to keep track of...