PDA

View Full Version : Single Ability Dependent fighting class [3.5]

gooddragon1
2013-07-07, 02:10 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Scots Dragon
2013-07-07, 03:00 PM
The Warrior of Eternal Woe.

You wanted a SAD class, give it a SAD name and fluff. ;)

gooddragon1
2013-07-07, 03:08 PM
The Warrior of Eternal Woe.

You wanted a SAD class, give it a SAD name and fluff. ;)

:smallsigh:

Pretty gneiss...
http://www.mindat.org/gphotos/0987402001207400375.jpg

Rolep
2013-07-08, 03:28 AM
I like the idea of using concentration instead of AB, but this means that the class is likely to hit much more often.
AB = level + STR + enchanted weapon bonus (up to 5)
Concentration = level + CON + enchanted skill bonus (up to 30, 20x as cheap per point of enhancement) + 3
You then proceed to add CON again at 7th level. This would be balanced, but against single, tough enemies your first attack would be the only one that would hit anyway, so this just makes hitting easier at no real penalty (though, funnily enough, your increased chance of hitting may balance this, though it itself is not balanced). The numbers need a looking-at.

If you are going to replace AB with concentration, perhaps the class should not have full BAB. It might be more flavoursome to only give it 3/4, since the power is pretty redundant.

Ability 3 replicates a 9th level spell - disjunction - at 11th level. Consider making the part that suppresses magical items an extra ability that is gained later.

Also, ability 4 negates the only standard function that concentration checks have: to ignore distractions. Consider giving him a version of casting defensively that allows him to ignore distractions but requires a single, general concentration check to succeed, which has a DC that is not influenced by external effects.

Your capstone and ability 5 create a potentially broken, though dull, tactic, in which they continuously use ability 3 again and again until every effect is suppressed: they get infintie chances to roll high enough to beat the DC, and a natural 20 auto-succeeds (I think, and even if it doesn't there are very common house fules that say that it does. Also, if it doesn't, they would still get a lot of chances before it becomes impossible to succeed, and would drag out combat immensely.).

Finally, to nitpick, profession should be a class skill for every class.

Still, its a very nice idea for a class. I've been toying with changing the D&D stats to where there is only 1 physical (in real life, athletes tend to have general fitness) & the specialization is realised in skills (representing the few areas in which they have training. Since this is a big change, it is good to see a less radical approach.

I agree with the name 'Warrior of Eternal Woe'.

Yakk
2013-07-08, 08:25 AM
A one-trick pony class being able to duplicate one lesser effect that a 17th level caster can do, but a 16th level caster cannot, at level 11, doesn't seem to be all that worrysome.

gooddragon1
2013-07-08, 01:31 PM
Well, I'm more interested in making it balanced so people can use it rather than making it a contender for a high tier slot so I'll be making some changes.

Network
2013-07-08, 10:24 PM
I think Steadfast Determination should replace the 5th level bonus feat. Having two bonus feats at a given level seldom happens, and its better when it doesn't. Steadfast Determination is already a powerful feat by itself.