PDA

View Full Version : Possible for an ork to beat a demon prince? [40k]

gooddragon1
2013-07-07, 08:06 PM
Is it possible for an ork in wh40k to become strong enough that they could defeat a demon prince (you may choose any one of them)? Can anyone provide an example of an ork strong enough to do this?

Doc Kraken
2013-07-07, 11:02 PM
That one warboss who got his Waaagh! trapped on a Khornate daemon world managed to kill one, although his boyz distracted it for him and he didn't last long after. Even if you don't count him, between that whole "get bigger and nastier as you kill more things" life cycle and the truly horrific weapons the Big Meks keep churning out, I'd say it's far from unreasonable to think that an ork could take down a daemon prince. That said, he'd have to be ded 'ard!

gooddragon1
2013-07-07, 11:15 PM
That one warboss who got his Waaagh! trapped on a Khornate daemon world managed to kill one, although his boyz distracted it for him and he didn't last long after. Even if you don't count him, between that whole "get bigger and nastier as you kill more things" life cycle and the truly horrific weapons the Big Meks keep churning out, I'd say it's far from unreasonable to think that an ork could take down a daemon prince. That said, he'd have to be ded 'ard!

So the warboss would have to have a sizeable portion of the orks in existence in is Waaagh to do it?

Brother Oni
2013-07-08, 01:47 AM
So the warboss would have to have a sizeable portion of the orks in existence in is Waaagh to do it?

While I would agree on the sizeable, not so sure about 'in existance' as that's a LOT of orks (Imperial probes have gone light years past the boundaries of known space and they're still reporting back ork signals).

Back before the Heresy, another warboss got big and mean enough to challenge the Emperor, who needed Horus's help to put it down, so there's another ded 'ard boss capable of killing a daemon prince.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-08, 02:19 AM
I bet Ghazekull could do it. (wow I mangled that name.) So the answer is very much yes. If it were a one on one fight they'd need a pretty massive WAAARGH as a power source. Otherwise I bet any Warboss + his bodyguards would have a decent chance at it.

gooddragon1
2013-07-08, 01:40 PM
I bet Ghazekull could do it. (wow I mangled that name.) So the answer is very much yes. If it were a one on one fight they'd need a pretty massive WAAARGH as a power source. Otherwise I bet any Warboss + his bodyguards would have a decent chance at it.

I think you mean Ghazghkull (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ghazghkull_Mag_Uruk_Thraka#.UdsHfawkxrk). So that answers my question nicely.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-08, 07:05 PM
Anything is possible with enough dakka.

The Glyphstone
2013-07-08, 07:32 PM
And 'demon prince' is a pretty wide range all by itself. There's a certain minimum ceiling, but the minimum is reachable for a decent Warboss, the maximum is Primarch-level badass.

gooddragon1
2013-07-08, 07:45 PM
And 'demon prince' is a pretty wide range all by itself. There's a certain minimum ceiling, but the minimum is reachable for a decent Warboss, the maximum is Primarch-level badass.

I was looking for the minimum ceiling option.

The idea that sparked this is warhammer 40k dawn of war Waaagh! 1.

I thought that since the space marine units had a chance to be defeated by a reasonably competent ork player in multiplayer and since the units weren't too different in single player that it would be possible to fight sindri in demon prince form with orks. So I wondered if it were possible for an ork warboss to fight a demon prince. Also this clip: Towards the end of the clip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVWZEDFcxM)

The Glyphstone
2013-07-08, 08:03 PM
A Demon Prince is just a Chaos Warlord who has earned sufficient favor from the gods to ascend to daemonhood. That gives a huge range depending on who their patron was and why they earned the patronage. The Daemon Prince in DOW 1 was a Chosen of Khorne - it'd be much harder for an Ork to beat a Prince of Khorne that a Prince of Slaanesh or Tzeentch. A Prince of Slaanesh would probably be the best-case option...Tzeentchian princes would technically be weaker in mano-a-mano combat, but since they're almost universally sorcerers and chosen specifically for their scheming, a Prince of Tzeentch would only be in a position to fight a Warboss if he'd already arranged circumstances where he wins no matter the outcome.

Forum Explorer
2013-07-08, 08:12 PM
A Demon Prince is just a Chaos Warlord who has earned sufficient favor from the gods to ascend to daemonhood. That gives a huge range depending on who their patron was and why they earned the patronage. The Daemon Prince in DOW 1 was a Chosen of Khorne - it'd be much harder for an Ork to beat a Prince of Khorne that a Prince of Slaanesh or Tzeentch. A Prince of Slaanesh would probably be the best-case option...Tzeentchian princes would technically be weaker in mano-a-mano combat, but since they're almost universally sorcerers and chosen specifically for their scheming, a Prince of Tzeentch would only be in a position to fight a Warboss if he'd already arranged circumstances where he wins no matter the outcome.

Not necessarily. Princes of Tzeentch are hardly perfect and could very well underestimate the orc in question or have their plan get simply smashed by the orcs sheer strength.

The Glyphstone
2013-07-08, 11:21 PM
Not necessarily. Princes of Tzeentch are hardly perfect and could very well underestimate the orc in question or have their plan get simply smashed by the orcs sheer strength.

My point is more that a Prince of Tzeentch is by far the least physically prepossessing of Demon Princes, and the original question was directed towards a one-one-one brawl. Tzeentchians aren't suited for that sort of thing on any level, so while it's easily possible that the Prince could lose the greater fight, putting himself in a position of direct physical danger would be very atypical, and signify either severe desperation or supreme confidence. I'd find the former to be more likely, actually - sheer Orkish unpredictability and strength wreaking havoc on his carefully laid plans to the point where his best-remaining-option is to try and take out the Warboss personally and capitalize on the resultant internal command confusion.