PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Rounding Out The Party

kripicohan
2013-07-07, 09:28 PM
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong board or place to ask this, but after looking around this seemed more than a simple question. After finishing a one shot to let our DM get a feel for the group he requested we create new characters, all starting at level 1 and they had to be classes we had never played before. Normally I just fill whatever role the party needs, but we also have a semi-new player who wants to do that too. So, I figured asking for help determining what roles would best help the party wouldn't be a bad idea.

Right now we have:
A human Fighter,
A catfolk Rogue
A half-elf Summoner.

I have been a Cleric, a Sorcerer, and a Druid, and she has been a ranger.

The DM says we can take from whatever book we want, as long as he approves it. So, what roles and classes should we look into more? Thanks in advance.

grarrrg
2013-07-07, 09:37 PM
Right now we have:
A human Fighter,
A catfolk Rogue
A half-elf Summoner.

I have been a Cleric, a Sorcerer, and a Druid, and she has been a ranger.

First glance missing roles:
Divine Caster
Full Caster

Inquisitor is a 2/3rd's Divine Caster, and can also help with Beatstick and/or Skill Monkey. So it could work for either of you.

Obviously a Cleric/Druid would be good (but it would have to be an option for your friend if the "new class" rule is enforced).

A Wizard or Witch would help as well, finishing off the full caster part.

Sylthia
2013-07-07, 09:38 PM
If you want to fill the iconic roles, you could be a wizard, and she could be a cleric or a druid.

kripicohan
2013-07-07, 09:45 PM
First glance missing roles:
Divine Caster
Full Caster

Inquisitor is a 2/3rd's Divine Caster, and can also help with Beatstick and/or Skill Monkey. So it could work for either of you.

Obviously a Cleric/Druid would be good (but it would have to be an option for your friend if the "new class" rule is enforced).

A Wizard or Witch would help as well, finishing off the full caster part.

I like the idea of the inquisitor, and i've read about oracles being decent too. I think I might take the divine route.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-07, 09:46 PM
I second grarrrg's opinion on the issue, considering the information given.

Since I like to pry, I do have a few more questions about the game.
- Starting Level?
- Alignments?
- Any archetypes/fighting styles in play here?
- Synthesis or non-synthesis summoner?

OverdrivePrime
2013-07-07, 09:47 PM
Try a witch. They are cooler than all get-out! Tons of flavor, great abilities, and a spell list that won't completely overshadow the rest of the party. I'm playing a 'good' witch right now, and his potential abilities and combos - particularly with other party members just keeps making me giddy.

What would your new player think about a bard or a barbarian? I love 'em both, and if your fighter is your only warrior type, he's going to need some help!

kripicohan
2013-07-07, 09:49 PM
I second grarrrg's opinion on the issue, considering the information given.

Since I like to pry, I do have a few more questions about the game.
- Starting Level?
- Alignments?
- Any archetypes/fighting styles in play here?
- Synthesis or non-synthesis summoner?

We are all at level 1, and in general we all play on the good side of things, so really anything but evil characters. Nobody has chosen that yet. Nothing has been chosen for the the fighting type yet, but once again I figure the DM will approve of most things. As for the summoner, I haven't looked into the class, so I don't necessarily know the difference. He just loves the idea of the eidolon and summoning things.

kripicohan
2013-07-07, 09:51 PM
Try a witch. They are cooler than all get-out! Tons of flavor, great abilities, and a spell list that won't completely overshadow the rest of the party. I'm playing a 'good' witch right now, and his potential abilities and combos - particularly with other party members just keeps making me giddy.

What would your new player think about a bard or a barbarian? I love 'em both, and if your fighter is your only warrior type, he's going to need some help!

Well, so far that's two votes for witch. The fighter has the summoner's eidolon and summons to help with fighting. Besides that you, may be on to something.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-07, 09:53 PM
We are all at level 1, and in general we all play on the good side of things, so really anything but evil characters. Nobody has chosen that yet. Nothing has been chosen for the the fighting type yet, but once again I figure the DM will approve of most things. As for the summoner, I haven't looked into the class, so I don't necessarily know the difference. He just loves the idea of the eidolon and summoning things.Then yeah, everything that grarrrg said works. I'll add that with a mostly good party, a Paladin is also an option for the divine caster/extra damage (ranged or melee).

Beowulf DW
2013-07-07, 10:00 PM

And you can use the whole "Prehensile Hair" thing to make Fistbeard Beardfist. I'm pretty sure that there's a feat that allows monks to channel hexes through unarmed strikes.

In all seriousness, though, Inquisitor might be your best bet. They can be built to fill a vast variety of roles.

Take a look at this guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gFK_A8YV84hMUMXjxvCLFTnGO2GF7CMQiGIYyAQ2kns/edit#

You may wish to give the "Acolyte Inquisitor" a try.

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-07-07, 10:19 PM
A role (an often critical one at that) that seems unfilled in your current party would be a Battlefield Control/Utility caster. If you're using Pathfinder materials only, then I'd recommend a Wizard - they are the classic BFC/Utility guy and with good spell selection can beef up your fighting side (via buffs or summons, though I'd recommend buffs if you've already got a summoner).

If you can port in a class from 3.5, however, then I'd recommend you give the Archivist (from Heroes of Horror) a look. Basically a Divine Wizard, they can learn any Divine spell (including Domain spells, which gives decent access to some Sorc/Wiz gems) and have some interesting Knowledge based class features. They'd be easy to port over - slap on a d6 hit die and convert their skill list and you're done.

What sort of character does your friend have in mind? How new are they, and more importantly, how comfortable are they with the system? Prepared-casters can be daunting to some new players, so they may find it easier to play a Sorcerer or an Oracle, or one of the half-casters (i.e. the Bard, Inquisitor, and Magus). Clerics and Druids can be forgiving for new players as well - changing their spell loadout is simpler, since they needn't worry about a spellbook. This is assuming, of course, that they'd like to fill the BFC/Utility role.

Do you know what the Rogue's focus is? If they're just combat and stealth focused, then your group might want a face. Bards serve well in that role, with their Cha-focus, skills, and spells. And they can be pretty handy buffers, as well.