PDA

View Full Version : simple weapon axes?

Yogibear41
2013-07-07, 09:38 PM
Are their any simple weapon axes? Class I'm playing doesn't have proficiency with martial weapons, but I want to use an axe for rolling playing reasons without having to burn a feat for it.

Sylthia
2013-07-07, 09:42 PM
A sickle is somewhat axe-like and is a simple weapon. All the axes I can think of a martial. What class are you? I think if you're a cleric with the war domain, you get proficiency with your deity's favored weapon.

Agent 451
2013-07-07, 09:54 PM
The fauchard was reprinted in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. It's a two-handed simple weapon that's described as being more of a sickle attached to a long haft than an axe, but you could refluff it.

Yogibear41
2013-07-07, 09:54 PM
going for mystic ranger, gives up martial weapon melee weapon proficiencies, for awesomeness lol

May just ask for dm fiat' the whole concept behind him is being a woodsmen/naturalist I don't know what kinda of woodsman doesn't use an axe lol.

EDIT: actually, you know what they give up melee martial weapons, but not ranged martial weapons so I suppose that means I'm still proficient with the throwing axe :smallsmile:

EDIT2: well darn throwing axes are listed under melee and not ranged in the PHB :(

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-07, 10:06 PM
If I was dming this, I would let you have an axe that isn't actually designed for combat but rather for something like chopping wood, price it at 1 gp (same as a sledge), just call it a tool, and fighting with it would be improvised weapon. You get your axe, nothing is broken/abused, and minimal work required. Everyone wins.

Yogibear41
2013-07-07, 10:25 PM
don't you take a -4 on improvised weapons in combat to? might as well just use a martial weapon im not proficient with.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-07-07, 10:38 PM
I'd just like to interject that a woodsman/survivalist wouldn't fight with a wood chopping axe unless you attacked him while he was chopping wood and only an idiot regularly chops wood with a war axe. What you're asking for is equivalent to a wizard that whacks people with his spellbook.

A spear that doubles as a walking stick or a dagger you also eat with would be more sensible.

Thurbane
2013-07-08, 02:10 AM
A sickle is somewhat axe-like and is a simple weapon. All the axes I can think of a martial. What class are you? I think if you're a cleric with the war domain, you get proficiency with your deity's favored weapon.
There's also the heavy sickle, which is one handed version (1d8) of the regular sickle (Planar Handbook).

Looking at my list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203540), I would say sickle or fauchard are the most axe like of simple weapons...

Zombimode
2013-07-08, 02:17 AM
May just ask for dm fiat' the whole concept behind him is being a woodsmen/naturalist I don't know what kinda of woodsman doesn't use an axe lol.

The kind that focuses on arcane power instead of martial might?
It's called a trade-off. If you still want your character to be proficient with an war axe, take Martial Weapon Proficiency. Those feats exist for a reason.

Alternatively take a level in Fighter or Warblade (or any other full bab class with access to martial weapon proficiencies).

Thurbane
2013-07-08, 02:29 AM
If it's a FR campaign, or the DM let's you take regional feats from other settings, the Militia feat (PGtF) gives full martial weapon proficiency.