PDA

View Full Version : Quadruped Races

Milo v3
2013-07-07, 09:54 PM
What mechanical issues would arise from playing a race that was a quadruped rather than a biped. The only change I can think of is weight capacity.

Sylthia
2013-07-07, 09:58 PM
It can make going up and down ladders in dungeons difficult. The only one that also has arms I can think of is a centaur.

Psyren
2013-07-07, 10:12 PM
They're pretty hard to trip. They can also be used as mounts by smaller bipeds.

It can make going up and down ladders in dungeons difficult. The only one that also has arms I can think of is a centaur.

Another option is Bariaurs from Planar Handbook, which are more suited for a PC race.

Milo v3
2013-07-07, 10:37 PM
It can make going up and down ladders in dungeons difficult.
Hmm... Hand-like feet might fix that.

They can also be used as mounts by smaller bipeds.
That will be interesting....

The only one that also has arms I can think of is a centaur.

Another option is Bariaurs from Planar Handbook, which are more suited for a PC race.
This is going to be for a reflavoured race, I wont need to find an existing queadruped.

CyberThread
2013-07-08, 02:10 AM
I just have to ask...

what have to v2 and v1?

Milo v3
2013-07-08, 02:22 AM
I just have to ask...

what have to v2 and v1?

We had a disagreement which resulted in them being incarcerated in Big Ben and erased from the internet. :smallbiggrin:

Pilo
2013-07-08, 02:50 AM
There is also Bariaur (Planar handbook), Wemic (Race of Faerun), Tauric creature template, a Scorpion creature template (not the exact name) which are quadrupeds with arms.

Milo v3
2013-07-08, 02:55 AM
There is also Bariaur (Planar handbook), Wemic (Race of Faerun), Tauric creature template, a Scorpion creature template (not the exact name) which are quadrupeds with arms.

I don't need to find existing races, as this will be for a slightly modified reflavouring of an existing race.

Devronq
2013-07-08, 03:00 AM
Agree in would be hard if not nearly impossible to climb a ladder. Id also imagine it be very hard to move up stairs maybe half speed? Also depends what the feet were like if they were hooves it would make alot of things quite difficult.

On another note maybe 40ft base land speed? just a suggestion

Milo v3
2013-07-08, 03:09 AM
Agree in would be hard if not nearly impossible to climb a ladder. Id also imagine it be very hard to move up stairs maybe half speed? Also depends what the feet were like if they were hooves it would make alot of things quite difficult.

On another note maybe 40ft base land speed? just a suggestion

I was thinking feet which are half-way between the the paws of wolves and hands.

BWR
2013-07-08, 04:26 AM
Is this trying to fit a quadruped in basic biped environments or trying to envision a purely quadrupedal environment? What sort of quadruped? Like Taurics like centarus or wemics or ones like cats and dogs or like horses or a four-legged spider?

Ladders are right out for taurics and other hooved ones. Sure, some things like cats or dogs can learn to climb a ladder, but they won't like it. stairs, even somewhat steep ones, can work. A spider type should have no problem with ladders.

Most sitting and lying arrangements are useless. Chairs and couches would need to be redesigned for taurics. Properly sized chairs would be useless for pure quadripeds, but couches can work.

Size issue. Most humanoid buildings are based on long and thin, but you need at least twice as much area for a quadruped as for a biped of the same size, probably more like 4 times the maount. Tauric creatures are not only tall but wide. Beings like canines or felines are just wide.

Milo v3
2013-07-08, 04:40 AM
Is this trying to fit a quadruped in basic biped environments or trying to envision a purely quadrupedal environment? What sort of quadruped? Like Taurics like centarus or wemics or ones like cats and dogs or like horses or a four-legged spider?

Ladders are right out for taurics and other hooved ones. Sure, some things like cats or dogs can learn to climb a ladder, but they won't like it. stairs, even somewhat steep ones, can work. A spider type should have no problem with ladders.

Most sitting and lying arrangements are useless. Chairs and couches would need to be redesigned for taurics. Properly sized chairs would be useless for pure quadripeds, but couches can work.

Size issue. Most humanoid buildings are based on long and thin, but you need at least twice as much area for a quadruped as for a biped of the same size, probably more like 4 times the maount. Tauric creatures are not only tall but wide. Beings like canines or felines are just wide.

They are the most common race of the setting with 35% of the population consisting of them. But all the other races are bipeds. So this trying to fit a quadruped in an environment which has a large number of quadruped but much more are bipeds.

They are "cannine-like" in body shape.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-08, 08:21 AM
Well, if the feet can grip, then you can do ladders, so long as you can line up both torsos into a line and use all 6 limbs. In fact, if you are on a stable ladder and balanced, you can even use your true arms for other things.

You need to keep the center of balance close to the ladder though, otherwise have very strong 'hands'.

The Viscount
2013-07-08, 10:25 AM
One oddity is that most quadrupeds are Large, which means that they wield large weapons despite having Medium-sized torsos.

CyberThread
2013-07-08, 12:30 PM
Meh , no need to overthink this, just make them do a climb roll. Especially if they are doing a type of climbing that they use arms, plus the front legs, and the back legs dangle off. Have them do a STR or a CON check to see if they are tired, if the ladder is more then 10ft.

Necroticplague
2013-07-08, 01:54 PM
Mechanically, the only difference between quadrupeds and bipeds is:
-How far above their heads they can reach jumping up.
-How much they can carry
-How long their reach is.

Everything else is left to your own worldbuilding.

Thunderfist12
2013-07-09, 02:20 PM
So, you're using a wemic quadruped race. Consider the following:

-Make them Medium so they aren't normally used as mounts. If your world has no small races, even better.

-Give them a penalty to Climb checks, and make all Climb checks Con-based, to represent that they rely on endurance to scale high ladders, cliffs, etc.

-Speed 40ft. Quadrupeds are faster than bipeds.

-Quadrupeds use exotic armor (higher price), and cannot use shields effectively (unless they were tauric).

-Quadrupeds must use odd weapons, like jaw clamps, tail spikes, claw daggers, and the like.

You don't need to use these, but just consider it. I can even throw in the stats for my uncle's quadruped race next time if I find them.

CyberThread
2013-07-09, 02:45 PM
So, you're using a wemic quadruped race. Consider the following:

-Make them Medium so they aren't normally used as mounts. If your world has no small races, even better.

-Give them a penalty to Climb checks, and make all Climb checks Con-based, to represent that they rely on endurance to scale high ladders, cliffs, etc.

-Speed 40ft. Quadrupeds are faster than bipeds.

-Quadrupeds use exotic armor (higher price), and cannot use shields effectively (unless they were tauric).

-Quadrupeds must use odd weapons, like jaw clamps, tail spikes, claw daggers, and the like.

You don't need to use these, but just consider it. I can even throw in the stats for my uncle's quadruped race next time if I find them.

They still have hands, why can't they use swords and stuff , or did we shift away from centuar like things?