PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the "Altered State" Feat?

rdcoll
2013-07-07, 10:49 PM
Hello all,

Dragon 332 had an interesting feat for characters who wanted the ability to go on vision quests, but it struck me as quite underpowered.

Essentially there are eight totem spirits that you might encounter on a vision quest and each provides you with a different bonus - a +1 Strength bonus if you end up with the bear, base land speed increase by +10 and a +1 initiative bonus for the rabbit, etc.

To get one of these bonuses (for one day per class level) you need to invest anywhere from 3d20 minutes (for a random totem spirit) to 1d6 days (for the spirit of your choice). However, before you can complete the vision quest successfully you lose 1d4 points Wisdom and must then pass a DC 20 "Level check" and a DC 20 Handle Animal check. This seems like an extreme requirement for some fairly basic bonuses, but perhaps I am missing something.

Now I recognize that Dragon feats aren't always very well thought out, but I like the flavour of this one, so I am wondering:

a) Is this feat underpowered? Could it benefit from some adjustment?

b) How would you adjust this feat? What modifiers would you consider appropriate for the Level check?

c) Are there any other feats of a similar flavour (i.e., Vision Quest-like) that you are aware?

I look forward to hearing what people think. Thanks!

- Rob

Flickerdart
2013-07-07, 10:51 PM
The psychic meditation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827b) feats seem to be a much better thought out way of doing this same thing.

Psyren
2013-07-07, 11:07 PM
The psychic meditation (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827b) feats seem to be a much better thought out way of doing this same thing.

This. You can even fluff it as chasing animals through your dreams if you like.

Check my Meditant handbook (see sig) for more information on the abilities this feat grants.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-07, 11:18 PM

This. You can even fluff it as chasing animals through your dreams if you like.

Check my Meditant handbook (see sig) for more information on the abilities this feat grants.

This here is some cool beans. I'll have to check out the aforementioned handbook.

Psionics is quickly drawing nigh to my obsession with druidic magic. Not sure that's a good thing.:smallredface:

I'll still probably hunt down the Altered State feat, though, just for comparison and because I'm a personal fan of vision quests (otter and rabbit totems, personally speaking).

rdcoll
2013-07-08, 01:56 PM
Wow that certainly is an improvement over Altered State. Thanks for that Flickerdart (and thanks Psyren for the handbook link).

If I were looking at a non-psionic campaign, would you guys suggest nerfing that feat somewhat or do you guys think it would work as is (with spirit animals replacing energy centers)?

Thanks again!

Flickerdart
2013-07-08, 01:59 PM
If anything you should buff them, since some of the benefits wouldn't be terribly useful without psionics.

Psyren
2013-07-08, 02:00 PM
Yeah, it works fine as-is (replace "chakras" with "totems" for instance) though you'd probably have to modify Third Eye to grant spell slots or something. Or just remove it altogether - after all the others benefit casters and non-casters alike.

Big Fau
2013-07-08, 05:39 PM
There's also some feats in Secrets of Sarlona that have a similar flavor, if not similar effects (although I think those feats are better than Altered State).

rdcoll
2013-07-08, 10:26 PM
Ah, I think I know the one you are suggesting Big Fau... Dream Scion, right? I didn't care for the flavour of that one as much, but it is definitely a viable alternative.

I do have one more question about adapting the Psionic Meditation feat - Psionic feats all have the prerequisite that your character must be psionic, right? So, if I were to adapt Psionic Meditation for non-psionics, what should the prequisite(s) be?

(Dream Scion has Knowledge (the planes) and Knowledge (arcana), right? Something like that maybe?)

Psyren
2013-07-08, 10:41 PM
Well, all you need to be psionic is the Wild Talent (or Hidden Talent) feat, which any character can take. But you can simply remove that requirement if you want.

rdcoll
2013-07-09, 10:45 PM
That's very true, but if I wanted a non-psionic version (for a campaign that doesn't permit psionics) then should I impose a prerequisite to compensate for the fact that any character could conceivably take the feat?

Big Fau
2013-07-09, 11:35 PM
That's very true, but if I wanted a non-psionic version (for a campaign that doesn't permit psionics) then should I impose a prerequisite to compensate for the fact that any character could conceivably take the feat?

Other than a minimum level requirement (3rd, maybe 5th at most), not much. Maybe a few ranks in Autohypnosis or Concentration (low numbers so the noncasters can take it).

Psyren
2013-07-09, 11:50 PM
Without Meditant, the feats aren't all that powerful on their own. So I'd say no requirements, or a level req like Big Fau suggests, should be enough.

rdcoll
2013-07-10, 10:42 AM
Thanks very much everyone. I really appreciate the insights.