PDA

View Full Version : Man Or Machine? Let's Play Football Manager 20XX

Raistlin1040
2013-07-08, 12:02 AM
Hey folks! After the success of my Pokemon Shiny Gold and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11 Let's Plays, I've been itching to start another. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of difficulty finding a game that interests me, that I know well, would be able to play, and could narrate in an interesting way. This search has persisted for over a year, until recently. In addition to my life as a tabletop gamer, RPG aficionado, and general geek, I live a secret life as a soccer fan.

Yes, soccer, the world's game. Waking up at 4 AM or staying up until past midnight to catch a game is a common occurrence for me, and you'll often find me clutching my replica jerseys and wiping my tears with a scarf after a derby loss. Playing it, watching it, writing about it, soccer is one of my passions.

Well what does that have to do with GitP or a Let's Play? Excellent Question! In my spare time, I play Football Manager 2012, a very technical computer game that allows the player to take on the role of a manager of a real life club, whether it be Manchester United or lowly Chivas USA. There is also a very detailed editor that allows one to customize the game, adding players, leagues, staff, etc. After playing around in the editor, I thought it would be fun to use it extensively to create an new experience.

That's where you come in. I'm looking for input on what team we should play as, directions on things like transfers and style, and actual players. What does that mean? You certainly don't have to know anything about soccer, because I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. Rather, I would love to create some players based on your inputs.

Here is a simple form to fill out.

Name:
Nationality:
Positions 1: (Up to 3, in order of familiarity)
Favorite Team: (If you have one)
Picture:
Top 5 Attributes 2:
Bottom 5 Attributes 2:
Human or Android 3:
Backstory?:

Footnotes1: If you know soccer, you can use specific positions like "Defensive Midfielder" or "Right Winger", otherwise feel free to just say "Defense" "Attack", "Midfield", or "Goalkeeper".

2: This link explains attributes well. If you don't know what to choose, I can select these. Just ask! (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/52157-player-attributes-explained.html)

3: See Story Section! In general, Humans will start less skilled but have higher ceilings, while Androids will begin the game at close to their full potential, but won't be able to achieve as a comparably skilled Human in the long run.

However, just playing soccer would be boring and weak as a story. As such, I've taken some liberties.

StoryAfter a nuclear war devastated the world, most stable governments were ousted and the world economy crashed. Without strong relations between nations, millions went hungry and lived in poverty. Soccer, football, futbol, calcio, whatever it was called, became a way to pass the time and bring communities together. Even enemy nations managed to put aside differences for sport. In time, as the world began to recover, the sport began to dominate all aspects of life. Cities and nations earned money through successful teams, while cities with poor teams scrounged for whatever they could get.

Even without formal presidents and prime ministers, the football associations became political groups. Corruption became rampant, as big clubs conspired to stay big, keeping upstart teams from moving up. Talented young players were always taken by the big teams, and rich teams afforded their players top-care and performance enhancing drugs. It seemed like nothing would ever change.

That is, until a man named Dr. Gavin Ellis created the world's first Synthetic Footballing Intelligence Robot. The SYFIRs, as they were quickly dubbed, were androids, programmed with artificial intelligence that made them humanity's intellectual equals. They also possessed a desire to play football. The market became flooded with SYFIRs, as other companies stole Ellis's design and created their own versions. Large quantities were purchased by top teams, eager to bolster their ranks, but many were built from scratch by local tinkerers, designed to play in lower divisions to help struggling sides. Amidst these exciting changes, a shot at the top was there for the taking, if only there was a team willing to grasp it. Still, in a system designed for inequality, the road will be tough, and the Barcelonas of the world won't take defeat lying down.