PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Witch + Emberkin

Talya
2013-07-08, 12:20 AM
I'm new to Pathfinder, and I've been going over the witch class.

All the handbooks simply mention human, elf, tiefling and sylph for the most part...and if Aasimar are mentioned at all, it a "Don't use these for witches."

What about specific aasimar heritages though? I'm thinking of Peri-blooded, Emberkin. It seems to me they'd make decent witches...

avr
2013-07-08, 04:26 AM
How are they better than humans? Witches have little use mechanically for charisma, and there are other PF races (e.g. humans) which get an intelligence bonus and other handy stuff too.

Scots Dragon
2013-07-08, 04:35 AM
Sometimes you actually want to play an aasimar, and not an elf, human, tielfing or sylph.

Also, emberkin are a variant aasimar subrace with different ability adjustments that nullify the mechanical flaws anyway; +2 Int and +2 Cha.

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 04:44 AM
Aasimar heritages and Teifling heritages for that matter, are often not looked at in guides.

Edit: The Double Dragon has spoken.

avr
2013-07-08, 05:06 AM
To be clear, how is an aasimar witch with intelligence and charisma bonuses better mechanically than a human witch with an intelligence bonus, given the lack of use in the game mechanics for charisma on a witch?

Sure, if your RP idea centres on an aasimar go for it. I understood the question to be why aasimar were not mentioned in the optimisation guides.

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 05:09 AM
To be clear, how is an aasimar witch with intelligence and charisma bonuses better mechanically than a human witch with an intelligence bonus, given the lack of use in the game mechanics for charisma on a witch?

Sure, if your RP idea centres on an aasimar go for it. I understood the question to be why aasimar were not mentioned in the optimisation guides.

Because Emberkin are as good as other highly rated choices. They are, for instance, one of the few races that can get non-magical flying. They make more than competent int-based casters.

But most of the guides don't look at variant Aasimar and Tieflings.

Talya
2013-07-08, 08:57 AM
Pyrotechnics is also quite good at putting out the pyre they're lighting under you. (once.)

Psyren
2013-07-08, 12:22 PM
Sometimes you actually want to play an aasimar, and not an elf, human, tielfing or sylph.

There's nothing wrong with that, but handbooks generally focus on the optimal choices from a power standpoint. Presumably players who have individual or suboptimal preferences will be aware of what they're getting into as a result.

Belril Duskwalk
2013-07-08, 03:57 PM
Because Emberkin are as good as other highly rated choices. They are, for instance, one of the few races that can get non-magical flying. They make more than competent int-based casters.

But most of the guides don't look at variant Aasimar and Tieflings.

Aasimar and Tieflings are fairly well outside the realm of common races. They don't spring to mind as quickly as core races, or even as quickly as some of the non-core races. The Emberkin is a variant on an Aasimar. Meaning it is a variant on an already uncommon creature. I'd suspect some of the guide-makers weren't even aware of what Emberkin are, and even less familiar with the details of how they work.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-08, 05:10 PM
Well, the witch handbook I wrote just didn't take into account all the side books. Or it came out after I wrote it. I really need to update mine...

+2 Int/Cha and no penalty is fine. Not the best racial choice, but far from the worst. Of course, PF loves spellcasters and there are a ton of +Int racial choices, so it might still only be an average choice. Not that there's anything wrong with "just being average" for race when you're playing a tier 1 class anyway.

Talya
2013-07-08, 05:17 PM
Well, the witch handbook I wrote just didn't take into account all the side books. Or it came out after I wrote it. I really need to update mine...

+2 Int/Cha and no penalty is fine. Not the best racial choice, but far from the worst. Of course, PF loves spellcasters and there are a ton of +Int racial choices, so it might still only be an average choice. Not that there's anything wrong with "just being average" for race when you're playing a tier 1 class anyway.

Ooooh. You post here. I need to pick your brain.