PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Valet familiar archetype- the perfect accessory for crafting!

Spuddles
2013-07-08, 01:24 AM
The valet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/valet-familiar-archetype) archetype, for familiars, is AWESOME.

It barely loses any abilities and gains a several helpful modifications to things that familiars are good for- providing aide another bonuses and delivering harmless spells to allies.

The best thing it gains is Able Assistant, at first level, which grants Cooperative Crafting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/cooperative-crafting). Cool! Double crafting speed! It also treats your familiar as having your item creation feats, so you can actually use Cooperative Crafting.

It also gets craft skills as class skills, which ought to be mentioned. A familiar with 0 ranks in craft and a master with 2 ranks in craft, is treated as having 2 ranks in craft. Since craft is a class skill, your familiar gets the +3 bonus. A nice little bonus.

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 01:50 AM
It does look pretty awesome for crafters.

Erik Vale
2013-07-08, 02:39 AM
Stack with other classes to further increase crafting speed, such as Tattooed Mystic, Sorcerer Arcane Bloodline [through feats].

I currently have a crafter which makes use of two Valet Familiars and a single transport/scout/other familiar.

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 02:40 AM
Stack with other classes to further increase crafting speed, such as Tattooed Mystic, Sorcerer Arcane Bloodline [through feats].

I currently have a crafter which makes use of two Valet Familiars and a single transport/scout/other familiar.

Eh, how do you have more than one familiar?

Andvare
2013-07-08, 03:21 AM
Eh, how do you have more than one familiar?

I suppose you could argue that you could use the Eldritch Heritage feat to gain a second familiar.
Otherwise, he could take levels in both Witch and Wizard to gain two familiars.

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 03:27 AM
I suppose you could argue that you could use the Eldritch Heritage feat to gain a second familiar.
Otherwise, he could take levels in both Witch and Wizard to gain two familiars.

Arcane Bond (Su): At 1st level, you gain an arcane bond, as a wizard equal to your sorcerer level. Your sorcerer levels stack with any wizard levels you possess when determining the powers of your familiar or bonded object. Once per day, your bonded item allows you to cast any one of your spells known (unlike a wizard’s bonded item, which allows him to cast any one spell in his spellbook). This ability does not allow you to have both a familiar and a bonded item.

Levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars stack for the purpose of determining any familiar abilities that depend on the witch’s level. If a witch possesses such levels, her familiar always uses the witch rules for familiars, not those provided by other classes, such as wizards or sorcerers with the arcane bloodline. A witch’s familiar only stores witch spells. All other spells are stored normally, as noted in their class features. If a familiar is lost or dies, it can be replaced 1 day later through a special ritual that costs 500 gp per witch level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete. A new familiar begins knowing all of the 0-level spells plus two spells of every level the witch is able to cast. These are in addition to any bonus spells known by the familiar based on the witch’s level and her patron (see patron spells).

I'm just not seeing anything that let's you have more than one. Unless perhaps there's some very rules-lawyery way to go about it. The text clearly assumes you can only have one familiar.

Unless 3rd party material is used or a house rule.

Andvare
2013-07-08, 03:40 AM
I'm just not seeing anything that let's you have more than one. Unless perhaps there's some very rules-lawyery way to go about it. The text clearly assumes you can only have one familiar.

Unless 3rd party material is used or a house rule.

It's the wording of those rules. They don't specifically call out that you cannot have more than one familiar, and says that they stack for the purpose of powers.
While I'd agree with your assessment, and probably wouldn't allow it at my table (when I run, the rule interpretation is handled by discussion and agreements instead of rulings), it can be argued the other way as well IMHO.

Spuddles
2013-07-08, 03:45 AM
it can be argued the other way as well.

Not really

There is only one rule that tells you what happens when you take levels in classes that each grant familiars, and that's that they stack for the purposes of determining familiar powers.

Nothing says you can gain extra familiars, and instead, every attempt to gain extra familiars just gets you a slightly more powerful familiar.

It's really that simple.

Andvare
2013-07-08, 04:04 AM
Not really

There is only one rule that tells you what happens when you take levels in classes that each grant familiars, and that's that they stack for the purposes of determining familiar powers.

Nothing says you can gain extra familiars, and instead, every attempt to gain extra familiars just gets you a slightly more powerful familiar.

It's really that simple.

Of course it can, because there is nothing that states you do not gain a second familiar. It is the same logic used both ways.

At 1st level, a witch forms a close bond with a familiar.

At 1st level, wizards form a powerful bond with an object or a creature.

They both state that you get a familiar at first (class) level.

The RAW is unclear here, but I'd say that the RAI isn't.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-08, 10:13 AM
Ok, but imagine a party of 4 characters.

Cleric, Inquisitor, Wizard, and magus.

Each takes arcane bloodline, a crafting feat (scribe scroll) and cooperative crafting.

Now you can have 8 crafters all working on a project all at once. The wizard or cleric fills out the rest of the crafting feats, and you churn out tons of cool great for the party, breaking WBL over your knee.

Vortenger
2013-07-08, 12:05 PM
Extra Familiar Feat, can be taken multiple times. Dragon #280. (Always wanted to make a changeling wizard w/ 3-4 improved familiars constantly changing forms throughout the day)

Drachasor
2013-07-08, 12:31 PM
Extra Familiar Feat, can be taken multiple times. Dragon #280. (Always wanted to make a changeling wizard w/ 3-4 improved familiars constantly changing forms throughout the day)

PF games, being backwards compatible, usually don't allow any 3.X material.