PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Headbutting Barbarian

Propagandalf
2013-07-08, 03:07 AM
"Ya asking what I do? I tell ya what I do! I hit people! With MY FACE!"
*BASH!*

So, a while ago there was a thread about the

Dwarven boulder helmet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/helmet-dwarven-boulder)
20gp / Damage 1d4 / Crit ×2 / 10lbs. / Bludgeoning
(Special: +2 Bull Rush, +2 AC vs. Crit confirms)

It got me thinking about a character who focuses on headbutting people into submission.

But how would one go around to such a build?

The Headbutting Barbarian Lvl 5

Race: Human with the Adopted Parentage: Dwarf to get the proficiency for the otherwise Exotic weapon
Class: Barbarian
Archetype: Invulnerable Rager
Stats: Str:16, Dex:14, Con 17, Int:10, Wis:7, Cha:14
Helmet: +1 Furious Adamantine (Furious gives +2 to attack/damage when raging)
Feats: Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Raging Vitality, Raging Throw (7th lvl),
Rage Powers: Strength Surge, Knockback, Powerfull Blow (6th lvl),
Traits:Berserker of Society (+3 Rage rounds/Day), Irrepressible (Cha instead of Wis to will saves against Charm/Compulsion)

The big question is How to turn to the helmet from Light to One Handed Weapon?
Easiest way I can think of is just making it Large (an fluff it as reinforcement or somesuch).
This'll make the helmet count as One Handed weapon for you so you can get the 1 1/2 x Str and PA to damage.
Of course, it also gives you a -2 to hit, but the Furious enchancement helps to negate that.

Any more ideas on how to make this build work?

Edit: Yeah, sorry, pressed the post button a bit too early :smallredface:

Devronq
2013-07-08, 03:08 AM
The purpose of this thread being? You want build advise?

Propagandalf
2013-07-08, 03:19 AM
Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Pressed the Post button by mistake. :smallredface:

grarrrg
2013-07-08, 05:23 PM
The big question is How to turn to the helmet from Light to One Handed Weapon?
Easiest way I can think of is just making it Large (an fluff it as reinforcement or somesuch).
This'll make the helmet count as One Handed weapon for you so you can get the 1 1/2 x Str and PA to damage.
Of course, it also gives you a -2 to hit, but the Furious enchancement helps to negate that.

If I were a DM there's no way I'd allow you to "2-hand" a HELMET.

Just saying.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-08, 08:36 PM
Use unarmed strikes with your forehead? Unless those eat up your iteratives. Maybe you could TWF the helmet and UAS?

Get a rage cycle going with the rage power that makes you immune to sickness/nauseate, plus that ioun stone (cracked dusty rose? It's one of the defective ones) that makes you sickened/nauseated instead of being fatigued/exhausted. Obviously, you then slap the stone into a wayfinder so it doesn't get sundered.

Take some good cycle-y powers like Knock Down and floor people with your headbutts.

Doorhandle
2013-07-08, 09:09 PM
Raging throw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-throw)would be interesting for you. Swift action + 1 round of rage = Con bonus to combat mauver check, and it does Strength mod + Con mod in damage. (Works best if you're using a shield, but that's very feat-intensive to get rolling and SOOOO not the point of this build)

Strength surge is good for any build that needs to make C.M.B checks.

Get lesser fiend totem, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/fiend-totem-lesser-su) and add a gore to your headbutt. Normal fiend totem is also pretty neat, but greater fiend totem is pretty worthless unless in an all-evil party.

I as a G.M would probably let the two-handing the helmet thing through.

SamsDisciple
2013-07-08, 10:24 PM
There is the flying kick feat (or something like that) that I would allow for a headbutting 2 handed charge, maybe some refluffing is needed but it would be worth it to allow this kind of character into the game

Propagandalf
2013-07-09, 08:51 AM
If I were a DM there's no way I'd allow you to "2-hand" a HELMET.

Just saying.
Yeah, it does sound a bit strange but I don't think there's anything in RAW that forbids it.

On fluff perspective he would be focusing all his might into that headbutt and wouldn't be wielding any other weapons.

Use unarmed strikes with your forehead? Unless those eat up your iteratives. Maybe you could TWF the helmet and UAS?
Haha, I'd forgotten one can do UAS with any part of the body, including ones head. I'll definitely have to look into that. :smallbiggrin:

How would the mechanics work with an enchanted helmet headbutt (+1 Furious etc.) and UAS headbutt? The UAS doesn't get the helmets enchanment bonuses right? Weird...:smallconfused:

Take some good cycle-y powers like Knock Down and floor people with your headbutts.

Raging throw would be interesting for you. Swift action + 1 round of rage = Con bonus to combat mauver check, and it does Strength mod + Con mod in damage.
Don't know about Knock Down since it's a Trip and I'd like to focus on Bull Rush. But while looking it up I found the Knockback Rage Power which gives Str to damage/Bull Rush!:smallsmile:

And when you combine Knockback with Raging Throw you get 2xStr+Con as extra damage and +Con to hit with Bull Rush, right? :smallbiggrin:

Strength surge is good for any build that needs to make C.M.B checks.

Get lesser fiend totem, and add a gore to your headbutt. Normal fiend totem is also pretty neat, but greater fiend totem is pretty worthless unless in an all-evil party.

I as a G.M would probably let the two-handing the helmet thing through.
Strength Surge is a must, true. Dunno about the Lesser Fiend Totem though.

Get a rage cycle going with the rage power that makes you immune to sickness/nauseate, plus that ioun stone (cracked dusty rose? It's one of the defective ones) that makes you sickened/nauseated instead of being fatigued/exhausted. Obviously, you then slap the stone into a wayfinder so it doesn't get sundered.
I'll keep this in mind, allthough I'd only use it on higher levels for it does smell faintly of cheese.:smallcool:

Thanks for all the great suggestions!:smallbiggrin:
This is starting to shape up into a nice little build that is both unique and barbarian.

Krobar
2013-07-09, 09:37 AM
I would base the headbutt on the standard unarmed strike, and fluff up the two-handed helmet thing as some kind of clinch move. Grab your opponent with both hands, pull him in as you headbutt, and thereby increase the damage done. Improved Grapple and Improved Unarmed Strike (and Superior Unarmed Strike later) might come in handy for this.