PDA

View Full Version : Need help with upcoming event(not for my players)

Baldin
2013-07-08, 07:59 AM
Hey Playground, (my players stay away!)

The Party:
Richart Scaleshield (optimized)- Sorcerer4/Paladin2 Dragon Disciple9 - Frontfighter with a greatsword
Belin Ironbeard (optimized)- Psychic warrior 6 war mind 8 - Tipper lockdown build with spiked chain
Lect - Psion Shaper 14 - High focus on his astral construct
Alwyn the Archer - Fighter 6/Sorcerer 1 Arcane archer 8 - Archer
Nicolas Silvertoungue (optimized)- Bard10 sublime chord 5 - Buffer and controller/support
John - Fighter9 masterthrower 5 - Greatsword tossing ranged attacker

The players tagged as optimized are not power players per see, but know how to build a character to be powerfull at what they want to do with it. We follow the rules of the Furyondy gazzeteer which bans many overpowered spells, feats and classes.

So i need help with an upcoming event that will happen in my campaign the short future.

To start of i will explain what my pc have done and are going to do.

So my campaign currently has Orcus, the demonlord of the undead, as the prime enemy. Ofcourse its not Orcus himself but his clergy. In the past the party managed to defeat a champion of Orcus who carried a major artifact sword made by Orcus himself. This sword is intellegent and evil and radiated this evil, corrupting all near it.

So the party brought the sword to the temple of Pelor in Greyhawk and asked the high priest there what to do with it. After trying to contact higher powers to ask this question, Pelor send one of his Solar Angels to the temple and told the party what was needed to destroy this unholy blade. The angel also created a temporary magical casked which would hide the blade from divinations and stop his evil from affecting the surrounding.

Now the party is close to getting an item they need in order to destroy the blade, however to destroy it it has to be brought to the celestial plane and the sword must be subjected to the holy song of the angels to weaken the blade.

Once the blade is brought to the place where the song will be sang, the casked will be removed and thus the minions of Orcus will know where the blade is and respond by creating a gate to the place and attack in waves.

My question now is, how would you handle this attack. I want it to look like Orcus throws a good amount of demons and other minions to reclaim the sword and thus it should be a hard battle.

My though at this moment was to first let in some weaker demons and advancing the attack in waves, getting tougher and tougher.

The angels that preform the song cannot participate in combat and must be protected by the PCs. Im fine with adding some celestials to aid the PCs to make the battle look more fierce. Looking forward on your idea's, if more info is needed feel free to ask=]

Cheers
Baldin

Diarmuid
2013-07-08, 09:49 AM
What if the PC's take precautions to deter scrying and other divinations before opening the box the sword is in? Smiilarly, what if they take steps to prevent teleportation or other magical traveleing to where they're going to be doing their little ritual?

On the other side, are the minions of Orcus just sitting around constantly casting divinations looking for the blade? Having them show up immediately after the box is opened seems a bit...convenient to me.

As for the battle itself, waves are probably the best way to handle it. If you dont want to script it fully out yourself you could add a randomness to the waves with 1dX+Y rounds between waves and having the waves made of of 1dX+Y of the given creature type for that wave (using whatever numerics you deem approriate for the variables).

It really depends on how hard you want this to be.

bot
2013-07-08, 09:57 AM
On the other side, are the minions of Orcus just sitting around constantly casting divinations looking for the blade? Having them show up immediately after the box is opened seems a bit...convenient to me.
I've done this before for plot reasons also. Players didn't know such a spell doesn't exist, but don't see problem with having npc plot stuff work differently then what exists for the players

Baldin
2013-07-08, 12:03 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. As for the difficaulty, i would like it to be a fight where they will most likely deplete most of their daily resources and get a feeling of dread at the sheer force send tot hem. As for the weapon it is a major artifact. Thus i think its acceptleble that Orcus would know that its taint is free once again.

For spells preventing the scying or divining altogether the pcs dont have these kind of spells at the moment and dont beleive they will think of it. Same goes for teleportation.

Using XdY+Z for randomness seems good. Also just throwing monsters at them is fairly easy to do, maybe someone has some extra's i could mix into the battle.

cheers
Baldin