PDA

View Full Version : Price Check: Wizard's channeling staff

qwertyu63
2013-07-08, 09:03 AM
I have made up a new type of staff, and I have no idea how much to price it at. It is as follows:

Channeling staff:
In the hands of most people, a channeling staff is simply a masterwork staff tipped with crystal (this can be enchanted normally). However, if held by an arcane caster of any kind the staff can be used to enhance their spells. Any spell cast through the staff increases in caster level by 1. Casting a spell through the staff increases the casting time of the spell by one step on the following chain: Swift/Immediate-> Move-> Standard-> Full Round-> Full Round+Swift. A spell with a (pre-increase) casting time of longer then a full round can not be cast through the staff.
Price: ???

(Please note this staff is non-magical, and simply acts as an optional focus for improving spells)

Or a second version as I work on this:
Channeling staff:
In the hands of most people, a channeling staff is simply a masterwork staff tipped with crystal (this can be enchanted normally). However, if held by an arcane caster of any kind the staff can be used to enhance their spells. Spells of levels 1 or lower can be cast through the staff. Any spell cast through the staff increases in caster level by 1.
Price: ??? (I'm thinking 1225gp [500gp (Arcanist's gloves)/2 (uses per day)*5 (per guidelines)/2 (caster level boost cut in half)+600 (price of masterwork staff)])

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-08, 11:38 AM
Well, the orange prism ioun stone costs 30,000 gp.

That's a slotless item, so a staff that would be taking up space you normally use for a rod would cost 15,000 gp. Your casting time limitation is well-designed, but not significant (most wizards don't move much in combat anyways), so I'd say it's a 10-15 percent price reduction. The arcane-only restriction is also a minor limitation. I would peg it at 13,000 gp.

The caster level bonus may seem like a small thing compared to, say, a +1 longsword, but the reason it's so much more expensive is versatility. A +1 longsword only gives you +1 to attack and damage, and a fighter will be swinging it a lot, but only in combat. On the other hand, a wizard can benefit from this item every time he casts a spell, making it significantly more versatile than a +1 weapon. Also, casters are already overpowered, there's no reason to help them along.

Yitzi
2013-07-08, 12:23 PM

That's a slotless item, so a staff that would be taking up space you normally use for a rod would cost 15,000 gp. Your casting time limitation is well-designed, but not significant (most wizards don't move much in combat anyways), so I'd say it's a 10-15 percent price reduction. The arcane-only restriction is also a minor limitation. I would peg it at 13,000 gp.

The caster level bonus may seem like a small thing compared to, say, a +1 longsword, but the reason it's so much more expensive is versatility. A +1 longsword only gives you +1 to attack and damage, and a fighter will be swinging it a lot, but only in combat. On the other hand, a wizard can benefit from this item every time he casts a spell, making it significantly more versatile than a +1 weapon. Also, casters are already overpowered, there's no reason to help them along.

Keep in mind, though, that it increases casting time, which is quite significant. The ioun stone is equivalent to this plus a free half-Quicken.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-08, 12:51 PM
Keep in mind, though, that it increases casting time, which is quite significant. The ioun stone is equivalent to this plus a free half-Quicken.

True. This does prevent you from casting quickened spells with it.

qwertyu63
2013-07-08, 02:08 PM

Thank you. I figured the first one would be rather pricey. That's why I made the second one.

The idea of this is to give wizards an incentive to carry the stereotypical wizard's staff.

What about the second one up there? (Changes: doesn't stretch times, only effects 1st level spells and cantrips, intended for lower level characters)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-08, 03:07 PM
What about the second one up there? (Changes: doesn't stretch times, only effects 1st level spells and cantrips, intended for lower level characters)

Oh, that one's interesting. It's a good item from 1st to 5th level, but most spells cap at CL 5. After 5th level you won't need it anymore. Seeing how all warriors are expected to have a +1 weapon at 5th level, I think you could price it the same as a magic weapon (1st level is 2,000 gp, 2nd level is 8,000 gp, 3rd level is 18,000 gp, etc).

Yitzi
2013-07-08, 03:28 PM
True. This does prevent you from casting quickened spells with it.

It also prevents you from moving in the round you use it for a standard-action spell, which is fairly significant.

qwertyu63
2013-07-08, 03:30 PM
Oh, that one's interesting. It's a good item from 1st to 5th level, but most spells cap at CL 5. After 5th level you won't need it anymore. Seeing how all warriors are expected to have a +1 weapon at 5th level, I think you could price it the same as a magic weapon (1st level is 2,000 gp, 2nd level is 8,000 gp, 3rd level is 18,000 gp, etc).

And now you've inspired me to the next edit:

Channeling staff:
In the hands of most people, a channeling staff is simply a masterwork staff tipped with crystal (this can be enchanted normally, and should be to make it useful). However, if held by an arcane caster of any kind the staff can be used to enhance their spells. Any spell can be cast through the staff if it's level is equal to or less then the enhancement bonus of the staff. Any spell cast through the staff increases in caster level by 1. If only one end of the staff in enchanted, you can use the greater of the 2 bonuses.
Price: 700 gp (+magic enhancement price)

So the staff for various spells is (Assuming you only enchant one end):
1st level: 2700 gp
2nd level: 8700 gp
3rd level: 18700 gp
and so on...
(And if there any cantrips that care about your CL [I don't know any] the unenchanted 700 gp would do it)