PDA

View Full Version : Going beyond One-Trick Pony

Balor01
2013-07-08, 09:42 AM
So, I am not an optimizer and the question relates to low levels (up to 10).

Usually I just take a monster out of MM or make an NPC with core feats plus ONE thing he can do such as: Improved Sunder, Trip, Improved disarm. As for spellcasters, I usually give them something that can make them strong in offense, but I mostly overlook "second trick" that would involve a good defense. My NPCs spend combat rounds attacking and dying OR drinking potions/casting on themselves defencive stuff and - dying.

It is also true, they rarely if ever surprise the PCs who ... each, know more tricks.

Now the thing is, optimisation in 3.5 takes A LOT of knowledge and I wonder how can I get better at it? My players drag feats out of their' behinds, study optimization builds and just walk trough my encounters. (they are pretty darn good at their job and do not cheat, that is true).

The worst think I could set up against them is an intelligent enemy, say, a dragon, with some sorcerer levels and a "scouting array" of kobolds which alert the master while dying. The dragon would then buff up and probably make a mess, but so far my PCs are not encountring such targets.

Groups of bandits, mercenaries and cultists they meet just get demolished.

So, how do I change that, playground? I am applying SOME stuff I have learned here, but my NPCs are mainly One-trick-Ponies. I have extreme difficulty creating a challenging encounter for my PCs that is not a badass Boss.

From what I have written, is there any advice you can give me? One thing I like to do is use melee opponents 90% of the time and PCs have a crowd controller caster among them, so in every match they have his aid.

I dunno. When playing with less experienced people, I handle things fine, here is like three guys running trough reeds(NPCs) with chainsaws.

Do you think there is something I can learn in order to make my NPCs more sustainable?

TmasterT
2013-07-08, 09:54 AM
sounds like you need to play them a bit more smart. use terrain for advantages positions, use better buffs that work with the terrain, and play them ruthlessly.

Theres nothing that says a goblin isnt smart enough to gang up on healers/casters first, or have casters that use spells that dont give saves, fog clouds, darkness, evards black tenticles, gusts of wind, telekinesis. dont be afraid of having ten goblins all with flasks of alchmist fire, thats D6's with no saves. use reach weapons along with caltrops or tanglefoot bags. make pit traps, and have bull rushers. its not that hard to wipe the floor with PC's

Flickerdart
2013-07-08, 10:05 AM
When taking a monster from the MM, there are a few things you can do to boost them. Redoing their feats and weapons is an easy one - they usually have awful picks. For just +1 CR you can give monsters a class level, the Elite array, and NPC wealth, so don't be afraid to give them some nice stuff. I love giving my guys Spiked Chains and Knockback; when they get charged by the PCs, they can knock 'em away on AoOs!

Templates like Spellstitched, Phrenic, Half-Fey, Half-Celestial, and Half-Fiend give random creatures a significant amount of various SLAs, which really helps with versatility.

Nich_Critic
2013-07-08, 10:08 AM
To an extent, I think that this is by design. Your NPC's can't all fight on the same level as the PC's, that'd be extremely unfun. Remember that you can send unlimited resources their way, where they only have one character. Sometimes they need to mop the floor with some enemies.

That said, some general tactics can make a difference. Divide the PC's by casting web or solid fog in the middle of them, and harry the people outside of the fog while the people inside try to escape. This works best if they're spread out. If they're grouped up, dissuade them from doing that with a good solid blast spell.

Traps can also be an equalizer. Even if the PC's know where stepping is dangerous, having places they can't go can greatly restrict their mobility.

nedz
2013-07-08, 11:26 AM
Run different types of encounters: Meeting engagements, Ambushes, hit and tun attacks, ...
Use different types of monsters than you usually do; and use different types of monsters in combination.
Focus on tactics, most of the famous ones should work.
Have your NPCs pull some stunt which wrong foots the PCs. This can be as complex as a spell combo, or something as simple as a can on a string.
Have some means for the NPCs to run away.

undead hero
2013-07-08, 12:06 PM
Read Tucker's Kobolds

kreenlover
2013-07-08, 01:26 PM
Read Tucker's Kobolds

This^^

But, basically, it sounds like you need better tactics. Don't bother changing the stats, change what the monsters are doing.
EX:
Have one caster know divination spells, and was wronged by the PCs. They have been watching the PC's tactics for a long time, planning their revenge. He tells the inhabitants of the dungeon the PCs will enter, all about their tactics a few days before they enter said dungeon.
This makes it realistic that the monsters can be entirely prepared for the PCs tactics, forcing them to change partway through.

But, really, don't expect the changes in stats to do anything really. Play them Smart and that will make all the difference.

undead hero
2013-07-08, 02:15 PM
This^^

But, basically, it sounds like you need better tactics. Don't bother changing the stats, change what the monsters are doing.
EX:
Have one caster know divination spells, and was wronged by the PCs. They have been watching the PC's tactics for a long time, planning their revenge. He tells the inhabitants of the dungeon the PCs will enter, all about their tactics a few days before they enter said dungeon.
This makes it realistic that the monsters can be entirely prepared for the PCs tactics, forcing them to change partway through.

But, really, don't expect the changes in stats to do anything really. Play them Smart and that will make all the difference.

It is quite awesome that many DM questions are answered by the phrase "Read Tucker's Kobolds".

IIzak
2013-07-08, 03:11 PM
This has been said alot, but its also about building the encounter correctly. I had my group fight a group of Kuo Toa pirates that was really fun, because the spear that the fighters have gives them 10 ft reach, plus when they hit they can grapple. Give them the improved grapple feat and have fun locking down PC's while they struggle to get to him. Kuo Toa hits, then grapples, then wins the grapple check. PC uses move action to break out, then trades their standard action for a move action to move closer. Guess what, Kuo Toa has a reach wepaon so thats an attack of opportunity, oh it hits, ok, grapple, win grapple check, lather rinse repeat. Also, kuo toa usually travel together, so you'll have a couple clerics that are firing lightning bolts at people and a monk or two bc they have those too. and thats just one monster.