PDA

View Full Version : Computor Help: "Repair your computer" boot menu apparently not working

Cikomyr
2013-07-08, 10:23 AM
Hi there. my computer has been giving me troubles for the past 2 weeks so I decided a good ol' format & restore was in order. I backed up everything I needed, and I tried to access the "Repair Your Computer" option when I press F8 on reboot of my Toshiba.

I see two (simplistic) windows loading bars load up. But then, the screen just is black. Nothing happens; I've waited 20 minutes to see if it just took some time to load.

Now, I know this partition exists and is operational; I used it to install Windows 7 a little more than a year ago. Anybody knows a way to solve the problem?

Cikomyr
2013-07-08, 08:18 PM
Okay. Forget just repairing my computer. I now am completely unable to even BOOT my computer. After the welcome boot menu, it fails to load the CD boot option (normal) bit then freeze in a black screen of death. Am unable to even attempt safe mode.

Man I am screwed.

factotum
2013-07-09, 01:28 AM
Hard disc failed? Does the machine make POST if you disconnect the drive? (It obviously won't boot at all if you do this, but it should at least get to the point of telling you WHY it can't boot!).

VeliciaL
2013-07-09, 02:44 AM
Indeed, there are several reasons this can happen, and none of them are good. :smalleek: First step should be disconnecting the hard drive and making sure the computer gets through POST. If it does, then at least you know that the hard drive is (probably) the only thing that's failed.

Cikomyr
2013-07-09, 05:42 AM
I have access to BIOS, no idea how to do a POST..

I tried to forbid access to my HDD, and my computer just do something a bit weird after, and just.. keeps doing it. No idea why.

Btw, I just remembered that a few years back, I had a problems caused by Daemontool causing my computer to.. screw regarding drive allocation. A big thing I did last time I had my computer successfully on was unmount all Daemontool drives without uninstalling the software. Do you think it may have an impact on my incapacity to properly access my HDD?

Brother Oni
2013-07-09, 06:16 AM

POST is the Power On Self Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test) and your computer does it every time you turn it on. Normally your computer will breeze through the POST (usually with a single beep) and start loading your OS.
By disconnecting your HD, your computer will go through the POST and then just sit there waiting (I find taking the power connector out is easiest rather than fumbling about with the IDE/SATA cable). If it does this, then we know the HD or an attached lead is faulty.

If it doesn't get through the POST, then it's something motherboard related.

I tried to forbid access to my HDD, and my computer just do something a bit weird after, and just.. keeps doing it. No idea why.

What's your boot device order? Do you have something in your CD/DVD drive?

Btw, I just remembered that a few years back, I had a problems caused by Daemontool causing my computer to.. screw regarding drive allocation. A big thing I did last time I had my computer successfully on was unmount all Daemontool drives without uninstalling the software. Do you think it may have an impact on my incapacity to properly access my HDD?

I doubt it, but I suggest checking your HD health be your first priority.

Edit: Hang on, your CD drive is the primary boot device? Have you tried changing the boot order and/or putting a boot CD in there?

Cikomyr
2013-07-09, 08:19 AM
POST is the Power On Self Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test) and your computer does it every time you turn it on. Normally your computer will breeze through the POST (usually with a single beep) and start loading your OS.
By disconnecting your HD, your computer will go through the POST and then just sit there waiting (I find taking the power connector out is easiest rather than fumbling about with the IDE/SATA cable). If it does this, then we know the HD or an attached lead is faulty.

If it doesn't get through the POST, then it's something motherboard related.

What's your boot device order? Do you have something in your CD/DVD drive?

I doubt it, but I suggest checking your HD health be your first priority.

Edit: Hang on, your CD drive is the primary boot device? Have you tried changing the boot order and/or putting a boot CD in there?

I don't have a boot CD in this country. Only going back home in 4 weeks.

I tried changing the boot order to prefer the HDD, but to no avail; no change. I also tried disabling the HDD, but it just leads the computer to tell me CD boot failed, and then.. I don't know what it does. Gives me strange alphanumeric sequences Xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xxxx-xxx-xx-xx. No idea what it means.

I tried contacting my uni's IT service, but some people told me it's unlikely they will help me. I still wait for them to get back to me.

Edit: also, my computor is still under the extended warranty. I am not willing to risk it by opening my laptor to physically remove the hard drive. I will be able to send my piece of junk back for repair when I get back home in 4 weeks (needs to repair the cooling system anyway).:smallbiggrin:

Brother Oni
2013-07-09, 09:45 AM
Mentioning that it's a laptop is something you should have done at the start. :smallsigh:

Since it's still under warranty, your idea of having a professional look at it, is probably best.

Cikomyr
2013-07-09, 10:58 AM
Mentioning that it's a laptop is something you should have done at the start. :smallsigh:

Since it's still under warranty, your idea of having a professional look at it, is probably best.

I thank you for your help nevertheless. I am sorry if mentionning it being a laptop would have saved your time.

I was hoping there was a tech-tech way out without gutting my baby.

(Yes. Baby AND piece of junk. It's a love/hate relationship)

Brother Oni
2013-07-09, 11:49 AM
I thank you for your help nevertheless. I am sorry if mentionning it being a laptop would have saved your time.

Generally with potential hardware faults, taking a look inside your machine is a good step. This isn't easy to do with a laptop and for people with little to no experience in diagnosing and repairing computer faults, not recommended.

As for the love/hate relationship, at least that proves you use computers on a regular basis. :smallbiggrin:

VeliciaL
2013-07-09, 01:19 PM

If you can get into the BIOS config, then it's getting through POST, because POST comes first.

I'm afraid I can't help you with Daemon Tools, I switched to Virtual CloneDrive a while back and haven't looked back.

That said, if Daemon Tools somehow changed the drive lettering, that could concievably cause boot issues, but I'd expect things outside of Windows to still see the drive fine.

I don't suppose it would be possible to get someone to make a bootable Linux CD and see if THAT can still access the drive?

If not, then I think your hard drive just went kaput. It happens. :smallfrown:

Edit: also, my computor is still under the extended warranty. I am not willing to risk it by opening my laptor to physically remove the hard drive. I will be able to send my piece of junk back for repair when I get back home in 4 weeks (needs to repair the cooling system anyway).:smallbiggrin:

Your best bet is probably to send it in for repair, then.

There are two kinds of relationships with tech hardware: Hate, and love/hate. If you have a love relationship with hardware, that just means you haven't owned it for very long. :smalltongue:

Cikomyr
2013-07-09, 02:24 PM
I'm afraid I can't help you with Daemon Tools, I switched to Virtual CloneDrive a while back and haven't looked back.

I shall take that next time then. It's just that Daemon Tool's name is so.. memorable, I can't forget it.

There are two kinds of relationships with tech hardware: Hate, and love/hate. If you have a love relationship with hardware, that just means you haven't owned it for very long. :smalltongue:

I love every computer I own for about 6 months to 1 year

Then, manure hits the ventilation apparatus

VeliciaL
2013-07-09, 02:29 PM
I shall take that next time then. It's just that Daemon Tool's name is so.. memorable, I can't forget it.

Daemon Tools had been slowly turning into bloatware last time I checked it. Virtual CloneDrive on the other hand is a lightweight app that only does what I need, which is mounting CD images.

I love every computer I own for about 6 months to 1 year

Then, manure hits the ventilation apparatus

You make it 6 months? Lucky. :smalltongue:

I'll admit though, I love my current rig more than I hate it.