PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Ways to Get Track

ProfessorWoland
2013-07-08, 12:39 PM
I am working on a build, and am trying to get the Track feat without actually getting the feat. It has to be an item, I don't want to do the 1 level Ranger dip. Any ideas?

Vaz
2013-07-08, 12:54 PM
Druid 1 Dip with the Swift and deadly hunter ACF. Gets track, Druid spells for UMD, an Animal/Urban Companion, Fast Movement, Favourite Enemy.

Flaws. Worshipping an Elder Evil Dark Chaos Shuffled?

What's the rest of your build, may I ask? That can help with making things easier for us.

A.A.King
2013-07-08, 01:03 PM
Without dipping I know of two ways to get Track without taking a feat

1. Buy a Dog, he will track for you
2. The Arms and Equipments guide has guidelines for creating items that grant feays
"A general guideline for other kinds of feats is that they cost 10,000 gp, plus another 5,000 gp to 10,000 gp per prerequisite." pg. 128

That should help you create one who gives you track.

ProfessorWoland
2013-07-08, 02:46 PM
I am building a grappler, and going into Black Blood Cultist, which requires track, but I don't want to spend the feat.

Maybe I will spend the feat, pay the money later to get an item, and retrain the feat.

Vaz
2013-07-08, 02:56 PM
Druid works in that case. Entangle them and grapple away at lone targets.

Diovid
2013-07-08, 03:07 PM
Depending on your build 2 levels of Deepwarden (Races of Stone) might be nice.

CountAile
2013-07-08, 03:55 PM
1-level-Unarmed-Swordsage-dip? It's not track, but it has some sweet maneuvers that will make your grappler even better - and a 1st level stance that grants you Scent... Yeeah, it's pretty much not the same as Track XD

Vaz
2013-07-08, 04:05 PM
You actually need the Track feat to qualify though.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-08, 04:15 PM
Mask of the Tiger (MIC 200) 4,000gp grants the Track feat and low-light vision.

Of course, the danger is that if you lose the mask...:smalleek:

Studoku
2013-07-08, 04:20 PM
1 level ranger dip isn't that bad for a martial character. It's full BAB and you get some nice features and a good skill set. It's better than relying on a magic item for your PrC prereqs, unless you're sure losing/selling it won't be an issue.

Renegade Paladin
2013-07-08, 04:45 PM
I am building a grappler, and going into Black Blood Cultist, which requires track, but I don't want to spend the feat.
In that case, too bad. If you don't take the feat, you don't qualify, no matter how many clever workarounds you use to get the use of the feat without taking it.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-08, 04:50 PM
In that case, too bad. If you don't take the feat, you don't qualify, no matter how many clever workarounds you use to get the use of the feat without taking it.

That actually depends on your DM. RAW, if a magic item grants the feat, as long as you are affected by the item, you have the feat and therefore qualify.

Personally, I used to think a DM should require actually having the feat...but considering the risk a player takes relying on an item that can be lost/stolen/sundered/etc. I eventually came around on this and now feel that if the player understands the risks, fine.

ProfessorWoland
2013-07-09, 08:04 AM
Mask of the Tiger (MIC 200) 4,000gp grants the Track feat and low-light vision.

Of course, the danger is that if you lose the mask...:smalleek:

We have a winner!

Feytalist
2013-07-09, 08:12 AM
There's a soulmeld that gives you Track. Hunter's Circlet? I forget.

Of course, that's a two-feat tax, so I'm guessing that's out.

However. Dipping Totemist is a great way to boost your unarmed attacks, and I think it'll sync well with Black Blood Cultist, from what I can remember. Totemist has a number of nice options that boost grappling, unarmed attacks and multiple attacks. Just look at Girallion Arms. That's grapplingPlusPlus right there.