PDA

View Full Version : Bonuses to keep up with monsters

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-08, 02:06 PM
Most discussions of RNG I've seen assume that players are taking full advantage of magic items-- Tomes, stat-boosting items, enchanted weapons and armor. Let's ignore all that for a moment. What kind of boosters do characters need to keep up with monsters?

Sylthia
2013-07-08, 02:19 PM
Are we talking martial characters? Casters seem to keep up well enough.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-08, 02:22 PM
Yeah. Assume that the character isn't using any buffs.

Urpriest
2013-07-08, 02:40 PM
Most discussions of RNG I've seen assume that players are taking full advantage of magic items-- Tomes, stat-boosting items, enchanted weapons and armor. Let's ignore all that for a moment. What kind of boosters do characters need to keep up with monsters?

By "let's ignore all that for a moment" do you mean let's assume the players have all the magic items they need, or let's assume the players have no magic items?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-08, 02:53 PM
By "let's ignore all that for a moment" do you mean let's assume the players have all the magic items they need, or let's assume the players have no magic items?
Wow, I'm not literate today... my question is "what is the bare minimum in terms of numerical bonuses that a naked, un-buffed character needs in order to be fight monsters of an appropriate CR?"

Or in other terms, what numerical bonuses would I need to houserule in if I removed magic items, but required players to use T3 and up characters?

Elderand
2013-07-08, 03:29 PM
Well, this is a very rough glance over of the monster manuals but on average a CR20 monster will have the following

AC : 31
Touch ac : 10
Attack bonus : 34
DC for special attacks : 31
Highest save : 27

Assuming that to keep up you have to be able to deal with all those things roughly 50% of the time you should have, accross the group, the following

AC : 45
Attack bonus : 21
DC for special attacks 38
Saves : 20

Note that those result include 3 CR 20 monster from the monster manual 2 with are clear outlier. Remove those and you get the following.

AC : 36
Touch ac : 12
Attack bonus : 37
DC for special attacks : 30
Highest save : 29

Which push what's needed accross the group to

AC 48
Attack bonus : 26
DC for special attacks : 40
Saves : 19