PDA

View Full Version : Jotunbrud qualify me for knockback?

Snig
2013-07-08, 04:31 PM
just wondering if this would work? I'm planning out a 2handed dungeon crashing dwarf. i'd like to take Jotunbrud at 1st lvl to qualify for knockback.

Barsoom
2013-07-08, 04:34 PM
No. Jotunbrud is only two-thirds of Powerful Build.

Whenever you receive a modifier based on your size on an opposed roll (such as during grapple and bull rush attempts), you are treated as Large if that's advantageous to you. You are also considered to be Large when determining whether a monster's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) affect you.
The actual Powerful Build also adds "can wield weapons one size larger"

Snig
2013-07-08, 05:01 PM
ok just rolled my stats for a dwarf fighter / dungeoncrasher. Need help distributing them, heres what I got.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-07-08, 05:05 PM
No. Jotunbrud is only two-thirds of Powerful Build.

The actual Powerful Build also adds "can wield weapons one size larger"

So what if you combined the feat with the Strongarm Bracers from MIC, which are "the wield larger weapons part of Powerful Build, but nothing else." To the extent that it explicitly doesn't stack with powerful build for weapon size. Then you would have all "3/3" of powerful build, just not all from a single source.

Cog
2013-07-08, 08:12 PM
It still doesn't matter, because only Goliaths can qualify with Powerful Build; everybody else needs actual Large size.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-08, 08:21 PM
Half-Giant, or Half-Minotaur should bump you up to Large size IIRC. You also get some nasty stat boosts in there.

Maybe you could talk to your DM about just letting Jotunbrud work? I mean, if you have giant's blood anyway and are treated as one size bigger for everything, that would logically make it work.

Barsoom
2013-07-08, 09:59 PM
So what if you combined the feat with the Strongarm Bracers from MIC, which are "the wield larger weapons part of Powerful Build, but nothing else." To the extent that it explicitly doesn't stack with powerful build for weapon size. Then you would have all "3/3" of powerful build, just not all from a single source.

Interesting question. I believe not. Even though you actually have all three abilities, you don't have the ability called Powerful Build.

Just like if you had some special ability that gave you a +2 bonus to Will saves, you still can't qualify for feats that require "Iron Will", even though the effects are identical.

But, you know what, as a DM I'd let it slide.

shadow_archmagi
2013-07-08, 10:06 PM
By RAW, no. You do not have Powerful Build, and the feat says that only Large, or Powerful Build will work.

That said, unless your DM is the king of pedantic town, he should let Jotunbrud qualify, since it's pretty clearly in the same vein as powerful build. If your DM is the king of pedantic town, tell him to let my people go.

Perseus
2013-07-08, 10:10 PM
Half-Minotaur Dragonborn Dwarf would be one hell of a beast at LA +1... Buy that off as soon as you can and you will be rocking it.

(As a DM I allow 1 LA to any class that is tier 4 or under)

Size = Large
Speed = 30 Feet
Fly Speed = 30 Feet

Put on some Stone Plate and go to town. I think the Dwarven ability to not be encumbered stays active when you go dragon born... But I may be wrong about that.

Might as well take Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Concealment.

And look into Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, and the Valorous Weapon enhancement if you want to charge.

There is a feat ... Forget what book but it allows a dwarf to ignore difficult terrain when they charge. It is the same feat for warforged.

Zombulian
2013-07-09, 01:29 AM
It still doesn't matter, because only Goliaths can qualify with Powerful Build; everybody else needs actual Large size.

Half Giants have powerful build :smallfrown: THEY CAME FIRST GOSH DARNIT

Darth Stabber
2013-07-09, 04:50 AM
I think the Dwarven ability to not be encumbered stays active when you go dragon born... But I may be wrong about that.

Nope, you lose it, but it's worth it for the fly speed.

INoKnowNames
2013-07-09, 06:28 PM
I'm going to bump this thread, rather than make a new one over a similar subject: are Goliaths the only thing that can qualify for Knock Back without actually being large?

Are there any substitutes (that don't have a limit on use) that are usable by a medium sized character human?

Zombulian
2013-07-09, 06:37 PM
I'm going to bump this thread, rather than make a new one over a similar subject: are Goliaths the only thing that can qualify for Knock Back without actually being large?

Are there any substitutes (that don't have a limit on use) that are usable by a medium sized character?

WHAT DID I FREAKING SAY

INoKnowNames
2013-07-09, 06:41 PM
WHAT DID I FREAKING SAY

Pardon me, I'm sorry to not specify. I meant on a Human. My bad for not sharing that.

Zombulian
2013-07-09, 06:43 PM
Pardon me, I'm sorry to not specify. I meant on a Human. My bad for not sharing that.

Ohhhh. Okay yeah. No I don't think Powerful Build is something one can get from templates/feats.

INoKnowNames
2013-07-09, 06:45 PM
Ohhhh. Okay yeah. No I don't think Powerful Build is something one can get from templates/feats.

It doesn't have to be Powerful Build. It just has to be the ability to push a foe back from you (enough to be able to charge them) during an Attack Roll.

Specifically, during White Raven Hammer, if that helps provide any more context.

Zombulian
2013-07-09, 07:17 PM
It doesn't have to be Powerful Build. It just has to be the ability to push a foe back from you (enough to be able to charge them) during an Attack Roll.

Specifically, during White Raven Hammer, if that helps provide any more context.

...So I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Though there is a Monk PrC in Dragon Compendium that lets you bull rush without actually moving on your own.

INoKnowNames
2013-07-09, 07:37 PM
...So I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Though there is a Monk PrC in Dragon Compendium that lets you bull rush without actually moving on your own.

I'm asking (and this part I thought I had made clear): If there's no way for a Human to qualify for Knock Back without changing Races, is there another feat, spell, (non-single use) magic item, or weapon enhancement, that would achieve a similar effect?

Karnith
2013-07-09, 07:39 PM
If there's no way for a Human to qualify for Knock Back without changing Races
Permanencied Enlarge Person?

INoKnowNames
2013-07-09, 08:14 PM
Permanencied Enlarge Person?

How does Enlarge Person push enemies back without you moving?

Karnith
2013-07-09, 08:27 PM
How does Enlarge Person push enemies back without you moving?
It qualifies you for Knockback while still being human, sorry for being unclear (I've edited my post). Was that not the goal? Or do you additionally not want to be Large?

INoKnowNames
2013-07-09, 08:35 PM
It qualifies you for Knockback while still being human, sorry for being unclear (I've edited my post). Was that not the goal?

Wow. How did I not figure out that was what you meant.

I would have preferred the character to remain Medium Sized, if possible, but a workable answer is better than no answer. Does Enlarge Person have to be made permanent? Or could Knock Back simply apply when Enlarge Person is in use? (Why does that feat have to have a size requirement anyway... stupid size requirement)

Karnith
2013-07-09, 09:19 PM
I would have preferred the character to remain Medium Sized, if possible, but a workable answer is better than no answer. Does Enlarge Person have to be made permanent? Or could Knock Back simply apply when Enlarge Person is in use? (Why does that feat have to have a size requirement anyway... stupid size requirement)
To the best of my knowledge, if you were Large when you were able to select the feat, you would keep the feat even if you ceased to be Large, and it would effectively turn on/off depending on your size. See e.g. here in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#prerequisites).

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.(Emphasis mine)

After you have selected a feat, you lose the ability to use it if you no longer meet the prereqs, but you still retain the feat, and you will be able to use the feat if you are able to meet the prerequisites again.

So, if you got Enlarge Person permanencied until you leveled up, and then had it dispelled or dismissed or whatever after you selected the Knockback feat, you would get Knockback whenever an effect made you Large. Alternately, you could Chaos Shuffle/Psychic Reformation a feat into Knockback while under the effects of an Enlarge Person spell.