PDA

View Full Version : Swallow Whole + Giant Size

Amphetryon
2013-07-08, 05:53 PM
Assume that the monster in question is Large, and has the Swallow Whole ability.

Assume that the person being swallowed is Small, and has an item that allows a 1/Day Giant Size, as the Wu Jen spell.

What would you rule, as a DM?

:smallsmile:

gurgleflep
2013-07-08, 06:21 PM
Assume that the monster in question is Large, and has the Swallow Whole ability.

Assume that the person being swallowed is Small, and has an item that allows a 1/Day Giant Size, as the Wu Jen spell.

What would you rule, as a DM?

:smallsmile:

If they activate the size-increasing item after/during being swallowed, the person increasing would take damage from the limited space (bludgeoning, suffocation, etc), but would also cause the thing that swallowed him to break apart in a very painful slow explosion or something to that effect, each DM has different thoughts on these kind of things.

koboldish
2013-07-08, 06:34 PM
Would the painful and slow explosion cause damage or instant death?

Sith_Happens
2013-07-08, 06:36 PM
...Giant Size appears to lack the "what happens when there isn't enough room for you" text of every other size-increasing spell. Annoying.:smallmad:

I'd just insert that same rule for it:

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If you fail, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you— the spell cannot crush you by increasing your size.

Of course, then it's still up to your DM to determine
1. The check DC.
2. Whether bursting out of the creature kills it, or "muscular action closes the hole."

gurgleflep
2013-07-08, 10:14 PM
Would the painful and slow explosion cause damage or instant death?

Damage induced death! :smallamused:

Elycium
2013-07-08, 10:54 PM
Damage induced death! :smallamused:

Unless it is an undead or has regeneration, wouldn’t die from massive damage?

gurgleflep
2013-07-08, 11:05 PM
Unless it is an undead or has regeneration, wouldn’t die from massive damage?

Have your friends party spellcasters burn it with acid or fire, or whatever causes it's regen to stop? I don't know on this one :smallfrown:

Elycium
2013-07-08, 11:25 PM
Have your friends party spellcasters burn it with acid or fire, or whatever causes it's regen to stop? I don't know on this one :smallfrown:

No, no, I mean the monster. He should die from massive damage if something like that would happen.

But... this makes me think...

If they activate the size-increasing item after/during being swallowed, the person increasing would take damage from the limited space (bludgeoning, suffocation, etc)but would also cause the thing that swallowed him to break apart in a very painful slow explosion or something to that effect, each DM has different thoughts on these kind of things.

If the monster has an overwhelming regeneration that surpasses the damage that you deal while you grow, then technically, you would kill yourself.

gurgleflep
2013-07-08, 11:34 PM
No, no, I mean the monster. He should die from massive damage if something like that would happen.

But... this makes me think...

If the monster has an overwhelming regeneration that surpasses the damage that you deal while you grow, then technically, you would kill yourself.

Ah, okay. Totally misunderstood that.

I never really take regeneration into consideration when thinking these things through, but it does make sense. The critter that decided to chow-down would still be out for quite a while - it's got something growing inside of it for crying out loud, it's gonna hurt due to expansion!

Elycium
2013-07-08, 11:43 PM
Ah, okay. Totally misunderstood that.

I never really take regeneration into consideration when thinking these things through, but it does make sense. The critter that decided to chow-down would still be out for quite a while - it's got something growing inside of it for crying out loud, it's gonna hurt due to expansion!

He wont take a sweat if he is an undead :D

But well, let´s suppose that the character got chomped, now, he go and start growing and deals 2d8 or 3d10 (I don´t know) per turn, but the beast has 31 of regeneration. Yeah, he may expand, but the damage that you did to it, it will get regenerated so fast, that I don’t think that he will suffer it too much.

animewatcha
2013-07-08, 11:53 PM
nauseation through dry heave? I think of that vial in expedition to castle ravenloft. Empty out the contents to cause the creature that swallows you to throw you up and be nauseated for 1d4 rounds.

Elycium
2013-07-09, 12:20 AM
nauseation through dry heave? I think of that vial in expedition to castle ravenloft. Empty out the contents to cause the creature that swallows you to throw you up and be nauseated for 1d4 rounds.

Hmm, that actually may be a good point. But, if you already grow in one turn (six seconds), then I don´t really think that he will have time to puke before it is too big to pass through his throat (how bad that sounded lol).