PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Platinum Weapons

Dracofist
2013-07-08, 05:59 PM
Platinum has fire resistance 20 and is immune to acid.
Platinum is so costly that Armor and Weapons made from it are always of masterwork quality; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.
Platinum is so difficult to work with that the DC to make an item is +15 higher than a normal masterwork version to create.
Platinum has 60 Hit Points per inch of thickness and Hardness 25.

Type of Platinum Item Item Cost Modifier Item Bonus Modifier
Light Shield +6,000 gp +2 AC
Large Shield +12,000 gp +3 AC
Light Armor +15,000 gp +2 AC
Medium Armor +30,000 gp +3 AC
Heavy Armor +45,000 gp +4 AC
Ammunition +180 gp each +2 Hit & Damage
Light Weapon +9,000 gp +2 Hit & Damage
Medium Weapon +18,000 gp +3 Hit & Damage
Large Weapon +27,000 gp +4 Hit & Damage

So my question is if i had say a Large Spiked Chain, made out of platinum
and i magically enchanted it to a +5 Platinum Spiked Chain it would then have a +9 to hit and +9 to damage correct ? One from the magical enhancement and the other is from the Item quality bonus correct?

It would cost alot however End game i would think you would want Platinum
about anything.

Vedhin
2013-07-08, 06:32 PM
Provided that platinum does not provide an enhancement bonus, but some other kind of bonus, yes that would provide +9 to hit and damage. I am obligated to inform you that having +4 worth of bonus equivalents and Greater Magic Weapon would be better than a +5 weapon, however.

And platinum wouldn't be good at higher levels, as AC is less of a concern than miss chance, and weapons typically are made of, for example, thinaun to reduce the cost of bringing you back from the dead, and to steal your enemies souls so they don't come back.
In general, special functions are better than numerical bonuses-- thus why most exotic weapons are not worth a feat, but those that are have special things that most other weapons don't have, like the spiked chain can hit adjacent opponents despite being a reach weapon, and it can trip and disarm. In a similar vein, platinum isn't worth it because materials with special abilities are available.

Also, I don't think platinum works that way at all. Last I knew it increased a weapons damage die one step, but made it an exotic weapon. And platinum armor is one step heavier, but gives cold and sonic resistance 2 to the wearer. It does not increase AC at all.

Agent 451
2013-07-08, 07:52 PM
Platinum has fire resistance 20 and is immune to acid.
Platinum is so costly that Armor and Weapons made from it are always of masterwork quality; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.
Platinum is so difficult to work with that the DC to make an item is +15 higher than a normal masterwork version to create.
Platinum has 60 Hit Points per inch of thickness and Hardness 25.

Type of Platinum Item Item Cost Modifier Item Bonus Modifier
Light Shield +6,000 gp +2 AC
Large Shield +12,000 gp +3 AC
Light Armor +15,000 gp +2 AC
Medium Armor +30,000 gp +3 AC
Heavy Armor +45,000 gp +4 AC
Ammunition +180 gp each +2 Hit & Damage
Light Weapon +9,000 gp +2 Hit & Damage
Medium Weapon +18,000 gp +3 Hit & Damage
Large Weapon +27,000 gp +4 Hit & Damage

So my question is if i had say a Large Spiked Chain, made out of platinum
and i magically enchanted it to a +5 Platinum Spiked Chain it would then have a +9 to hit and +9 to damage correct ? One from the magical enhancement and the other is from the Item quality bonus correct?

It would cost alot however End game i would think you would want Platinum
about anything.

Where are you getting this information? The only source that I know of that lists platinum (Magic of Faerun)gives it resistance to cold and sonic/2, as Vedhin has already pointed out.

GnomeGninjas
2013-07-08, 08:51 PM
It think he got it here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Platinum_(3.5e_Equipment)). It is dandiwiki homebrew, check with your DM to see if he would allow it.

Sylthia
2013-07-08, 08:58 PM
Hmm, the molecular weight of platinum would make any equipment made of solid platinum ridiculously heavy.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-08, 09:24 PM
Wait, so instead of doubling the weight of the weapon (like magic of faerun) made out of a heavier metal it halves it? I haven't seen anything that ridiculous in a long time. Then again it has been a long time since i have been to the dandwiki.

CRtwenty
2013-07-08, 10:47 PM
It think he got it here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Platinum_(3.5e_Equipment)). It is dandiwiki homebrew, check with your DM to see if he would allow it.

Ugh... dandwiki... it's nice to be reminded why that site is a plague sometimes. :smallyuk: