PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Style Feats

SamsDisciple
2013-07-08, 06:57 PM
So I am considering a melee class (still undetermined which) for an upcoming campaign with a brand new (to me) DM that only allows core and the completes for books, spell compendium on a spell by spell basis. Since I am limited in these ways I wanted to get opinions from those who have used the weapon style feats in Complete Warrior and see if they are any good. They seem nice at first glance since they cause saves based off your strength and dont use up resources to use but they are minor conditions and fairly feat intensive. so enough of my ramblings... what do you think?

Humble Master
2013-07-08, 07:10 PM
Use Lightning Mace :smallbiggrin:

Actually, don't. Your DM doesn't deserve it. Other than that, most of the Style Feats aren't that effective. They require a lot of feats to get and their effects are mostly mediocre. Also, a lot of them focus on 2 weapon fighting which is rather hard to optimize.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-08, 07:24 PM
Spinning Halberd can be pretty neat, especially because since the haft of the Halberd is still part of the same weapon, RAW you'd get all of your weapon enhancements applying to the haft attack.

Karnith
2013-07-08, 07:36 PM
If you're willing to invest a fair amount into it, High Sword Low Axe is pretty good on a TWF build, and is the basis for classic Jack-B.-Quick-style shenanigans (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick).

I am also a fan of Three Mountains, though it's honestly not that good.

Randomguy
2013-07-08, 07:40 PM
Three mountains seems like it would be worthwhile on a Dungeoncrasher fighter or someone else that already needs Improved Bullrush.

Karnith
2013-07-08, 07:44 PM
Three mountains seems like it would be worthwhile on a Dungeoncrasher fighter or someone else that already needs Improved Bullrush.
You still get suckered into taking Weapon Focus, and it's two feats to get a benefit in a situation where you should have already murdered whatever unlucky person it's supposed to affect.

Don't get me wrong, I like it anyway, but you probably have better things to be doing with your feats.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-08, 10:04 PM
With those books you can go Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8, or go Fighter 2/ Wizard 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Mindbender 1/ Paragnostic Apostle 2/ Eldritch Knight 5. Wraithstrike is in Complete Adventurer and so can bypass the case-by-case basis of Spell Compendium. Practiced Spellcaster, Arcane Strike, and Minor Shapeshift are all core.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-07-08, 10:12 PM
With those books you can go Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8, or go Fighter 2/ Wizard 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Mindbender 1/ Paragnostic Apostle 2/ Eldritch Knight 5. Wraithstrike is in Complete Adventurer and so can bypass the case-by-case basis of Spell Compendium. Practiced Spellcaster, Arcane Strike, and Minor Shapeshift are all core.

While these are melee builds, they have absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was asking about. He/she specifically wanted to know if the weapon style feats in Complete Warrior were worth taking.

To the OP, Lightning Maces is the only one I would consider using in a build.

SamsDisciple
2013-07-08, 10:20 PM
Well I guess that dumps my idea down the toilet, I recently moved and my previous DM switched to pathfinder so whenever I think of cool ideas its always pathfinder material so I am really struggling with a decent idea in 3.5, especially with the restriction on material. Also after playing pathfinder I am less excited about dipping and having millions of prestige classes. I guess I could ask if there are any feats in 3.5 similar to what I was thinking about in pathfinder. One is the unarmed style feats found in pathfinder (alot of cool gems in there even if they are mainly used by monks and end up sub par) also I loved the idea of the critical feats (such as critical blind "I didn't just smack you upside the head with a buttload of damage I also blinded you with my awesomeness), and lastly for a more flair less substance build I was thinking of dazzling display. wow after all that maybe I should just start another thread...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-08, 10:24 PM
While these are melee builds, they have absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was asking about. He/she specifically wanted to know if the weapon style feats in Complete Warrior were worth taking.

To the OP, Lightning Maces is the only one I would consider using in a build.

Right, I was originally intending to include something about Quick Staff and Eilservs School. However I realized the latter isn't in his allowed books, and in revising the post I got a bit... distracted.