PDA

View Full Version : Stocking the Pantry

Nettlekid
2013-07-08, 09:15 PM
Just as a kind of fun thought exercise and as a way of rounding off the last few hundred GP one might have left over when spending WBL before a high level campaign, I was wondering what kind of fun and potentially useful food items might be good to buy for the length of the campaign? I could see all sorts of encounters spiced up (potentially literally) with the introduction of surprising foods like offering Goblins some smoked beef, luring a wild animal with honey, maybe boosting a Diplomacy check with Elf or Dwarf nobility with appropriate quality wines, repelling a vampire with a clove of garlic, things like that. What suggestions do people have for fun culinary items that would surprise and amuse DMs to see? And for that matter, what books have food items like these? The Arms and Equipment Guide is the only one that springs to mind.

(I know that Create Food and Water coupled with Prestidigitation, or Heroes Feast on its own, or perhaps Minor/Major Creation pretty much make this completely unnecessary, but it's a fun thought anyway. I mainly want to do it because my upcoming DM always makes a big deal in other campaigns about having bought lots of soap, using it whenever he gets splattered by a nasty monster, so I want to one-up that with this.)

Harlot
2013-07-09, 05:58 AM
well, it's always good to have ingridients for an impressive (birthday) cake. It might be the kings birthday, or the orc-chiefs, or you might come across a wedding (+ it can be poisoned. Muahahaha!)

Also you could introduce coffee, and as it contains caffeine you could houserule that it gives you a +1 on nightly spot/listen checks, if your DM's in on it. + its addictive, so if you use it too much you get cravings and headaches if you don't get your daily fix.

You could buy saffron: highly expensive, easy to hide on you body/in your clothes and weighing nearly nothing, it can be used as emergency cash if your loot is stolen or lost.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-09, 06:05 AM
Distilled alcohol's handy. It's a drink, a disinfectant, and a fuel all in one.

Honey's also a disinfectant.

Flour can be used for baking the aforementioned cake, to reveal invisible creatures, and to make explosions. Same with powdered sugar, but with even more explosion.

Oil is slippery, and can be used in a molotov cocktail or as a fuel

Food with a powerful odor could distract creatures with scent.

Drachasor
2013-07-09, 06:37 AM
For the PF game coming up I bought a waffle iron and plenty of mix (also tea, a ceremonial tea set, a folding table and chairs, and a bison to cart all this around). I'm just first level, so I had to make do with just that.

Doorhandle
2013-07-09, 07:01 AM
Go the esteemed route of monster hunter and Toriko:

You're not hunting the monsters because they're rich, or evil. You're hunting them because they're DELICIOUS.