PDA

View Full Version : quarterstaff and its like..

animewatcha
2013-07-08, 09:34 PM
Tome of battle is a no. vile and Exalted feats is a no though the books may be available for 'general' equipment and like.

Quarterstaff and the longstaff. Is there anything amongst the books ( including dragon comp and drag mags ) that can count as these? Or is there anything in which I can keep the quarterstaff quality, but give it slashing as well for flay foe feat?

New campaign coming up to start at level 1/2 and I'm wanting to tone down op a little while still planning ahead. Looks like might try pure fighter ( again down on the full blown optimization ) with a couple of levels in martial monk ( for difficult fighter bonus feats early on ).

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-08, 09:55 PM
If you want it merely because a quarterstaff is a monk weapon, then you should look at the lajatang in complete warrior (page 154 and 157). It is a slashing double weapon that counts as a monk weapon.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-08, 10:33 PM
your first post is confusing me a bit, let's see if I'm understanding you correctly:
you're wanting a slashing damage staff for a fighter/monk build?

(your post seems to be unorganized and may make much more sense if you edit it and reorder the info.)

animewatcha
2013-07-08, 10:59 PM
Monk weapon - not exactly. A bludgeoning and slashing ( at same time ) weapon double weapon or one-handed version for two weapon fighting.

The first tidbit was layout of not allowed.

Nettlekid
2013-07-08, 11:09 PM
Your posts are really hard to understand. You're just kind of stringing terms together, and your grammar doesn't really agree with itself.

If I can try to figure out what you're saying, you want a weapon that's like a Quarterstaff, but can count as slashing? If so, BowStreetRunner's suggestion is exactly what you're looking for, in Complete Warrior. If 3.0 books are allowed, then Bastion Press also has the Monk's Spade (pages 6 and 17-18), which is similar, also an Exotic Weapon, but has a couple of extra bonuses for bracing against charges or disarming.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-08, 11:19 PM
Your posts are really hard to understand. You're just kind of stringing terms together, and your grammar doesn't really agree with itself.

If I can try to figure out what you're saying, you want a weapon that's like a Quarterstaff, but can count as slashing? If so, BowStreetRunner's suggestion is exactly what you're looking for, in Complete Warrior. If 3.0 books are allowed, then Bastion Press also has the Monk's Spade (pages 6 and 17-18), which is similar, also an Exotic Weapon, but has a couple of extra bonuses for bracing against charges or disarming.

IIRC, the Monk's Spade was updated in Secrets of Sarlona. In fact, there's more than a few interesting monk weapons there that might be worth a look for you.

Agent 451
2013-07-08, 11:19 PM
There is actually a 3.5 version of the Monk's Spade in Secrets of Sarlona, page 136. Deals bludgeoning or slashing damage.

Edit: Half-'saged!

nedz
2013-07-09, 03:13 AM
So Druid is out then, because Shillelagh etc. ?

What about Spirit Shaman ?

Still too high a tier ?

A quarter staff wielding monk who grabs Improved Trip, Ranger for TWF (and Track:smalltongue:), Horizon Walker, Sun School, ...

Vaz
2013-07-09, 04:10 AM
If you take Ranger you can get Trapfinding which on a skill "monk"ey is pretty decent.

Nightraiderx
2013-07-09, 09:22 AM
There is a battle staff that deals 1d8/1d8 but i do not know how to get slashing specifically, there IS a feat in eberron that allows you to treat a two-ended sword as a monk weapon, although it won't be a staff. Are you looking for a staff for flavor reasons or are wanting to take staff related feats?

If you make a feycraft staff it CAN qualify for deadly defense with combat expertise a -2 to hit for an extra 1d6 damage. There's also the weapon style feat in complete warrior that automatically adds +2 to AC when using combat expertise with a staff.

Another fun thing for staff wielders is Kalastar racial feats path of shadows and the feat after that which is in Races of Eberron which after you take a penalty/defensive action, the next round your attacks increase by the amount of penalty you took in the previous around. It could work well with the unarmed strike, trip feat that allows you to AoO those who miss you when you use the dodge feat.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-09, 12:08 PM
I would go for a diptastic build

Monk 2 / Fighter 2 / Martial Rogue 2 / fighter or ranger X

Ok the focus of the build is the Focused Attack ACF of the monk. You take a -2 to your attack roll, and can make an attack that deals double damage as a full round action.

Use monk/fighter feats to go for tripping. Use power attack and double damage from a two handed quarterstaff.

Martial rogue provides some more fighter feats and opens up ray reflection .