PDA

View Full Version : [D&D Next G2] IC - Hallows Last Hope

Razorstorm
2013-07-08, 10:51 PM
Here is our OOC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291608)

Perched at the edge of civilized lands, the small town of Falcon’s Hollow has always had to rely on itself to solve its problems. Meanwhile, the uncaring lumber barons squeeze the common folk for every last copper, deaf to their pleas. Now the hacking coughs of the sick are heard throughout town. The plague, called Blackscour taint, has come to Falcon’s Hollow and the town’s leaders can’t be bothered to stop it.

They managed to trace the illness to an infected well and closed it down. Since then folks have stopped getting sick, but no one really seems to be getting better. A week ago, people started dying, starting with Ole Moira.

Razorstorm
2013-07-13, 12:22 AM
Morphar
You returned to town from the Northeast, where you were looking for some herbs Laurel. It was a fairly routine gathering trip, but you had to go further afield than normal. Apparently that Nurin root she needed is getting a little over-picked in the area. Luckily you were able to veer more to the East to find what you needed, rather than continuing North into the more dangerous wooded areas of Darkmoon Forest. It was nice that you were able to avoid using the ferry to the South, or you may have had to deal with the Consortium's commerce goons. While not quite illegal, Boss Payden doesn't like goods coming into town outside of their official channels, and dealing with the questions would have been a waste of time.

As you are walking south down the road towards your friend's shop, you are not surprised by the crowd outside her shop. Creeping ivy and full window boxes cover the façade of the rugged-looking, two-story shop bearing the faded sign “Roots and Remedies.” A line of twenty-some somber townsfolk—some with pale, wheezing children, others seeming to be precipitously near tears—stretches from the open door. You recognize several of the faces in the line, such as that young man who's been following Cirthana for years, and that Dwarven priest, and that curious laborer Jan, and that minstrel you've seen in the taverns and occasionally with the Sheriff.

Abram & Jan
Creeping ivy and full window boxes cover the façade of the rugged-looking, two-story shop bearing the faded sign “Roots and Remedies.” A line of twenty-some somber townsfolk—some with pale, wheezing children, others seeming to be precipitously near tears—stretches from the open door. You two are waiting in line to enter the shop, and have been for a good hour. Jan is freshly deputized, and your hope is to get something that might help Kiven, while also fulfilling your task from the Sheriff to check on Laurel. Tensions in the line are thick, and when you first got there and tried to cut to the front on "official business" you nearly kicked off a small riot, and thought it safer to simply wait your turn. Which it nearly is!

A small girl in behind you starts hacking and weazing. The coughs are so back that she doubles over, and some nasty bloody phlegm hacks out onto Abrams boot. She starts crying and her father picks her up and holds her to his chest, a look of horrified apology on his face.

Coming around the corner of the shop you see young Thorpin and that Dwarven priest you've seen around, Grakken. "The line ends back this way! No cutting!" you hear called out from somewhere in the middle of the line.

Coming down the street you see that Elven wizard Morphar. You haven't seen him since you closed up the well.

Thorpin and Grakken
You two were cutting through town towards Laurel's shop, "Roots and Remedies" and are actually approaching the building from behind, cutting a straight line from the Temple through various yards. You come through a few trees, and as you come around the the side to the corner of the shop, what you see surprises you.

Creeping ivy and full window boxes cover the façade of the rugged-looking, two-story shop bearing the faded sign “Roots and Remedies.” A line of twenty-some somber townsfolk—some with pale, wheezing children, others seeming to be precipitously near tears—stretches from the open door. It's a little frustrating to see some of the same faces that were so recently at your temple for support. They seem so in need of hope.

At the front of the line, you quickly see Thorpin's good friend, the minstrel Abram. Next to him is that unusual laborer, Jan. "The line ends back this way! No cutting!" you hear called out from somewhere in the middle of the line. A small girl in behind Abram starts hacking and weazing. The coughs are so back that she doubles over, and some nasty bloody phlegm hacks out onto Abrams boot. She starts crying and her father picks her up and holds her to his chest, a look of horrified apology on his face.

Coming down the street you see that Elven wizard Morphar.

Everyone converges more or less in front of the shop. One tired looking lumberjack exits the shop, tucking a small package into his bag. Laurel's voice rings out from inside the shop. "NEXT!"

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-13, 09:12 AM
Abram hates that his first reaction is that he will now have to re-polish his boots, but the Military does a good job of establishing routines . . .
"Jan," Abram says laying a hand on his shoulder. "I think this could get out of control quickly. You go on in and talk to Luarel. I'm going to try and settle the crowd." Abram gives Jan a slight push toward the open doorway when he spots Morphar. "Grab him too," he says. And then smiles as the young child in his father's arms behind him. He starts to whistle a familiar kids song and hopes that it will catch on.

TheCalebG
2013-07-13, 09:39 AM
Thorpin sees Abram trying to settle the crowd. He moves in quickly to help and nods to Abram. "Morning 'Ram. Looks like we've got a mess on our hands here." he mutters. He hands the father a scrap of cloth to help with wiping up the child's blood and phlegm and stands close by to make sure they're ok. He raises his voice and addresses the crowd
"Easy folks, no-one's cutting the line. Let's try to stay calm."

Razorstorm
2013-07-14, 06:22 PM
The burly man takes the offered cloth from Thorpin and gently wipes his daughters mouth. Then he turns her a bit so she can see Abram, and starts whistling the tune along with him, giving her a gentle rock along with the rhythm. He gives Abram a grateful smile. After a moment another parent starts humming along, and then another, and then child's voice joins in singing the familiar words to the song, barely audible and off pitch, but heart-warming none-the-less.

The tension among those standing in line eases noticeably by a few notches, and a few folks even smile, if only a little.

Morcleon
2013-07-14, 10:22 PM
As Morphar approaches the town, he sighs. It would likely be like this until the disease was fully cured. Long lines of people seeking temporary remedies from supplies that would always be tight.

He nears the line, noting some of the more prestigious personas. "Greetings to you, good folk. I have obtained some herbs for Laurel's remedies. I do hope that they will help."

Razorstorm
2013-07-14, 10:42 PM
Jan herds Morphar, Grakken, and Thorpin into the shop while Abram controls the crowd.

The smell of burnt earth and spicy incense chokes the air of the cramped, mud-tracked shop. Bunches of dried herbs hang from the ceiling, along with dangling pots, presses, alchemical apparatuses, and glassware of more arcane purposes. Pouches of rare plants, jars of colored glass, and all manner of dried, preserved, and jellied animal parts fill high shelves and tables doing double duty as displays and workspaces.

In the shop’s rear, a rail-thin woman with severe-looking spectacles and hair pulled back tightly busies herself between an overpacked rack of herbs, a table covered in stray powders and measuring equipment, and a pot loudly bubbling over with thick gray froth. Over the din of her work and without looking up, the woman impatiently shouts, “And what’s your problem?” She then looks up finally and sees Morphar. "Oh, you're back! Good. Could you put that root in that empty jar right there. Your timing couldn't have been better, I just ran out. If you hadn't come just now, we might've had a riot on our hands." She looks at Thorpin and Grakken and Jan critically.

BTW - Picture of Laurel
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/655107/Laurel.jpg

"Well, what about the lot o' ya? None of you looks sick. What do ya need?"

Cyclopean
2013-07-15, 06:53 AM
Jan smiles earnestly. "We're just here to help, ma'am. Sheriff sent us, see what we do." His smile then fades as he sticks both hands in his pockets, looks down, and begins shifting his weight from foot to foot. "O' course, those of us what don't know our herbs aren't sure what that could be."

TheCalebG
2013-07-15, 01:01 PM
Thorpin is anxiously shifting from foot to foot, eager to take action. Seeing the crowd of villagers so upset and sick is extremely troubling to him.

"Laurel! There's got to be something we can do! Aren't there some special herbs or minerals you can use to heal everyone? I'll go get them right now. Just tell me where!"

Morcleon
2013-07-15, 01:26 PM
Dutifully putting the roots in the specified jar, Morphar grins at Laurel. "Well, you know me. Always arriving at the last second."

"If said special herbs existed, Thorpin, that would make all of our lives easier. Unfortunately, the chances of them existing is infinitesimally small. We'll just have to make do with healing them another way."

Razorstorm
2013-07-15, 09:56 PM
Laurel scoffs at Thorpin's naivity. "Uh huh... I see." She heads to the door, and sticks her head outside.

Having calmed the crowd, Abram sees Laurel's head poke out, and then yell, "Next customer!" She bodily yanks the man with the daughter who was behind Abram into the shop.

The man holding the hacking girl comes in looking desperate. He smiles weakly at Thorpin. Laurel, ignoring the small crowd in her shop, brushes her hands off on her apron, touches the girl's neck, then her forehead. "Mmh, fever, swollen glands. Is she starting to hack blood yet?" The father nods gravely. "Oh dear. She definitely has the Blackscour taint. She's far along, I'm sorry to say. One moment." She goes and pulls a piece of root from the clay jar the Morphar had just filled. "Morphar, dear, can you hand me that mortar and pestle there?" After a few minutes, she brings the man a small jar of pungent goop, and a sachet of herbs. "Here, have her drink an infusion of this three times per day. Rub this on her neck and chest when she sleeps. Now, I'm not a physician, I can't guarantee she's going to get better, but it'll soothe the coughing, and prevent her from hacking blood. That'll be 1 gold piece please." The man blanches, but takes a look at the girl in his arms, her chest rattling with each breath. He nods and hands over the coin. Laurel sees him to the door, smiling at his daughter, and sticks her head outside.

She looks out and looks right at Abram, and sighs. "You're next, eh? Well hurry it up. Chop chop." She leads him inside, then shuts the door firmly, leans against it for a moment, taking a breath, her eyes closed.

Without opening her eyes, "You see Morphar, that's the problem. This Blackscour taint..." She opens her eyes and looks at the group. She starts pacing around the room solemly. "I give folks the comfort that I can. A rare few that get this seem to be able to kick it on their own, but most... like that little girl their coughing gets worse and worse, until their lungs start bleeding. It's not long after that. Far as we know there is no real cure. Not from the clerics and their gods, and certainly not from me. At least, not around here." She ends with her hand tracing along an ancient looking book on her shelf, but she doesn't seem to have done in consciously.

TheCalebG
2013-07-16, 08:11 PM
"come on! there has to be something we can do!"

Thorpin sighs heavily. He shuffle over next to Abram and looks up at him expectantly.

"can't you think of anything we can try?"

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-16, 09:01 PM
other than a tightening about the eyes, nothing betrayed the fury rising in Abram. He brushes past Thorpin and gives Laurel is best 1000 yard stare.
"Laurel, No one here faults you for selling what people want to buy," he lies. "but your customers are friends. Are Family." A light cough as he thinks about Kiven growing sicker by the day. "if there is ANYTHING that can be done, you need to let us know. Not later. Now . . . Please!"

Morcleon
2013-07-16, 10:04 PM
Morphar dutifully brings over the mortar and pestle, then leans up against the wall. "We can't give up though. Something has to cause this disease, and thus something must be able to cure it. We just have to find the cause..."

"Speaking of which, has blocking access to that spring done any good yet?" He asks, before turning to Abram with a disdainful glare. "Abram, I have worked with Laurel for several years, and she is not the kind of person who would deliberately withhold a cure. If we had one, it would be selling as fast as we could make it."

Razorstorm
2013-07-16, 11:07 PM
"Well..." she starts, clearly unsure whether she should continue. "There is one more thing I haven't tried yet. My grandmother's book has a brew that I think might," she adds pointedly, "I say might, work for this sort of infection, but... it's a weird concoction that seems more like hoojoo than real medicine. Not her normal sort of thing. In fact..." she turns to the book shelf and grabs the old book that her hand had gone to earlier, sets it on the table, open to a page late in the book. You see an entry on the page that seems to stand out from the others, written in another hand. "I wonder if it's one of the recipes that she got from that old witch, Ulizmila, when she trade her sight for some of her secrets? I've never been able to try it, because I've never been able to get my hands on several of the ingredients. I mean, most of them are rare, but I do have them, or can get them within a day. Three of them I've never even seen! I'm not even sure they're real. I mean, listen to these:"

"Elderwood moss," she says it in a spooky voice, and rolls her eyes a bit, cynically, "which I’ve never heard of, but granny says the stuff only grows on the oldest tree in a forest." Again, with the spooky voice.

"A specially pickled root called rat’s tail. Again, sounds like hoojoo to me."

"And seven ironbloom mushrooms, stunty little things that only grow in dark places thick with metal, a favorite among dwarves, or so I hear." She looks up at the group, and shrugs as if to say "Hell if I know."

Morcleon
2013-07-17, 03:47 PM
"Well, I can shoot beams of ice out of my fingers and create cubes of thunder precisely 15 feet on each side. I think that this brew, however hokey, is worth a try." Morphar grins.

"And besides, ironwood mushrooms aren't that rare. And I know of a radish type known as rat tail radish, so that's probably what she was referring to. As to the elderwood moss, we just need to go into the topological center of the forest. After all, forests grow outwards, so the oldest is in the middle."

Razorstorm
2013-07-20, 01:07 AM
Laurel chuckles at Morphar's joke as she starts putting ingredients in her pot, preparing a new batch of her remedy. “Well, there’s gotta be an oldest tree in the vale, and if Elderwood Moss is real, that's where you'll find it. Damned if I know where it is, though. I'm not sure about your theory about it being in the center though. It's logical, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily correct.

The rat’s tail and mushrooms are even longer shots. Way north, toward the mountains, people say there used to live a bunch of dwarves. They’re not there anymore, but I’d bet their forges are. If you can find ironbloom anywhere around here, that’d be your best bet.

As for the rat’s tail, who knows? I'm not so sure it's that radish you're talking about or not. I've never heard of it, and I certainly don't know where you'd find it. But you know what? Ulizmila, the witch that lives deep in the woods might. She’s a crafty, mean thing that knows all sorts of strangeness. She might even have one. I don’t know what she might want for it, but I doubt it’d come cheap. My grandmother traded her sight to the old crone for a few pages of what she knew, and that was years and years back, and I don’t know a soul who got any nicer as they got older. Be careful with that one.

Now, I certainly don't have time to go traipsing off around the woods to any dwarven ruins, or arguing with witches, or looking for damned old trees, but if you want to go looking, be my guests. If you can actually make it back in time before all these sick folks die, I'll make it for free for everyone and donate the more common ingredients."

She pauses for a moment, as if taking stock of the motley crew in her shop. "Are you serious about this? You do understand what you're proposing right? That ain't no friendly little wood out there."

TheCalebG
2013-07-21, 05:41 PM
Thorpin is jumpng up and down with excitement.

"Are you kidding? I am out in these woods all the time! I can track down anything, no-matter where it is! Strap your boots tight, lads, adventure awaits!"

He starts talking under his breath, rattling off lists of tools and supplies he wants to prepare. Then he forgets all of that and starts rambling about all the monsters and beasts he hopes to find and fight.

Cyclopean
2013-07-22, 06:07 AM
For the majority of the exchange, Jan has had a distant, focused look, as though he has been struggling with a particularly complex problem. He now snaps back to attention, and grins.

"Oh, that Ulizmila! The loggers talk about her now and again, though they mostly call her "Uli" or "Mila." A few of them even showed me a cabin they said was hers, and if she's real after all, that's probably where she's at." He chuckles. "I'm sure she can't be near as bad as the stories say she is. No way in the hells that one fella was ever a newt."

Razorstorm
2013-07-22, 11:42 PM
"She's every bit as scary as they say. Don't you dare make the mistake of underestimating her. They say she learned from Baba Yaga herself! Her hut may not walk around on giant chicken legs, but she is one nasty old witch, and don't you forget it. But you might be right about that guy. I've heard him talking about her turning him into a newt too, and his story just doesn't quite add up."

A smile had crept over her face without her noticing. It slowly faded as the weight of the situation overtook the brief levity. "Well, if you heroes are going to risk life & limb for this place, I'll pray the gods protect you. But you'd better be fast about it. Folks are already starting to drop, and if you spend a week wandering about the woods, you may not come back to much of a reception. I wouldn't know where to find any of those places, myself, but you seem like you know your way around. Be careful, there's a nasty stuff in those woods."

Laurel finishes up her latest mix, and brings a small package to Michael. "Listen, I sincerely hope you're successful. Gods know this town could use some hope. Take this on the house. I hope your nephew feels better."

She shepard's all of you to the door, and welcomes in her next customer.

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-23, 08:03 PM
Abram smiles at the kindness and hopes he wasn't too abrasive earlier, hinting that she was gouging the townsfolk. Thank you, He says.

I need to get this to Evelyn. Let's each take an hour and gather some supplies and make arrangements. Assume we'll be gone at least a week. Meet back at the Sitting Duck?

Cyclopean
2013-07-23, 08:50 PM
Jan is somewhat taken aback. "Didn't the lady just say that if we're longer than a week, there won't be much of a town to come back to? Prepare for delays, sure, but we need to travel light and move fast." Troubled, he turns to face the rest of the group. "Once we get to the woods, we should be able to find all the food and water we need. Maybe pack some rations for emergencies, but don't bring anything if it'll slow you down."
He pauses to think a moment, and looks at Abram again. "Didn't I stay at the Sitting Duck last night, Whistler? Reckon I'll go and meet you all there."

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-24, 04:50 PM
"Of course," Abram agreed. "Pack light and move fast, but an hour now may save us plenty later." He faces the others in turn. "Water is vital. The forest might provide, but don't count on it. Only bring food that wont spoil." Abram starts ticking off supplies that he would like to have "lantern or a few torches. A tent, extra clothes." He shakes his head. "If you're not sure what to pack bring it to the Sitting Duck and we'll sort it out there." He then walks away, heading toward Evenlyn's house with the free herbs Laurel gave him. He starts to whistle a tune some might recall as Dwarven tune about a fateful adventure.

Razorstorm
2013-07-25, 11:11 PM
Back at Abram's house

@Abram
You get home, and when you enter your little shack, you see Evelyn in the kitchen, tidying. She looks up, sees you, and puts down what she's doing and comes over to you. She puts a finger to her lips gently, "Shhh, he's resting. Poor boy didn't sleep all night. He spent the whole time tossing and turning and coughing. I feel bad for getting any sleep myself. I had him drink lots of tea this morning, which helped sooth his throat, but it's not doing anything otherwise." She looks down, clearly distraught. "His fever's getting worse Abram. I'm scared. Were you you able to get anything from Laurel?" She looks up at you hopefully. "I heard someone say she had something that helped?"

Razorstorm
2013-07-25, 11:27 PM
The group gathers their supplies, and you all set out of the afternoon. You set out on foot taking the road heading northwest of town, making excellent time. It takes the rest of the afternoon, but you reach the north logging camp by dusk. This is a good chance to rest securely, and spend a night reasonably safe. Heck, if you play your cards right you might even be able to spend the night in a proper bed!

On your way, you see a trio of men heading back towards town, dragging a litter with a man tied down, feverish, hacking painfully. They nod solemly at you as you pass. Unless you engage them, they simply continue on down the road, clearly trying to get the man to town by night. (If you'd like to engage them somehow, go ahead post such.)

Once you reach the lumber camp, a watchman greets you along the road not far from the camp. He has a crossbow and spear, wearing no armor. He is tall and burly, with a bushy brown bear. "Ho there! It's getting late, and I'm pretty sure you y'all don't work here. What brings you up this way?"

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-26, 08:06 AM
Back at Abram's house

@Abram
You get home, and when you enter your little shack, you see Evelyn in the kitchen, tidying. She looks up, sees you, and puts down what she's doing and comes over to you. She puts a finger to her lips gently, "Shhh, he's resting. Poor boy didn't sleep all night. He spent the whole time tossing and turning and coughing. I feel bad for getting any sleep myself. I had him drink lots of tea this morning, which helped sooth his throat, but it's not doing anything otherwise." She looks down, clearly distraught. "His fever's getting worse Abram. I'm scared. Were you you able to get anything from Laurel?" She looks up at you hopefully. "I heard someone say she had something that helped?"

Abram nods solemly and hands over the herbs. "These wont do much more than make him FEEL better, but it's something for now. Laurel thinks there might be a cure, but needs some special supplies. Thorpin and I are going with some others in town to get them. With luck we'll back in just a day or two." Abram forces a smile hoping she doesn't see how much effort it takes. "I don't want leave," He says. "But I also don't want to trust anyone else to do it."Abram starts to pack up some supplies.
"Listen, it's going to get worse before we get back, but he's a strong kid."
Abram slips in and gives Kiven a kiss on the forehead and pats his back for a moment.

After he finishes packing he turns back to Evelyn. "I'll be back as soon as I can." He then gives her a brotherly kiss on the cheek and walks out quickly, whistling a mournful tune as he went.

TheCalebG
2013-07-26, 08:24 AM
(As to getting prepared, Thorpin sprinted back to the temple, grabbed his bag, said goodbye to his friends, and dashed off to the meeting spot.)

On the road, he is towards the front of the group. He sprints ahead constantly, stopping to yell back for the group to hurry up.

When the guard speaks to the team, Thorpin leaps forward, strikes a dramatic pose and declares, "we are on a noble quest to bring aid to the our fair town of Falcon's Hollow! If you stand not in our way and lend us aid you shall be remembered forever with kindness by the bards and the gods will shine down their blessings upon you!" Then he looks back at the group, "good, huh?"

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-26, 12:17 PM
Abram can't help but smile. "Yes, it was good. Maybe even worthy of a song."He then turns his gaze to the man who challenged them, waiting for him to respond to Thorpin.

Razorstorm
2013-07-26, 12:27 PM
The guard's lowers his crossbow slightly, and tilts his head in confusion. "Huh?" He clearly has no clue how to handle this sort of situation. "Uh... This is just a lumber camp, guys. I guess if you're just passin' through there ain't no harm, but... I mean it's getting late. Where're you going?"

TheCalebG
2013-07-26, 10:00 PM
Thorpin points in the general direction of the tree. "That'a'way"

Cyclopean
2013-07-26, 10:35 PM
Jan, visibly embarrassed by Thorpin's bravado, shuffles forward. "I reckon we will be making camp soon, at that," he says as he glances at the darkening sky. "Maybe around here, maybe with the workers if y'don't mind. It'll be our last chance at a real bed for quite a while; we're all going into the wood to gather herbs."

Razorstorm
2013-07-27, 12:26 AM
The man, Brayan, looks over his shoulder, nervously. "Oh... you want to stay here? Um... I don't mind, but um... I don't think the foreman would like it very much."

Cyclopean
2013-07-28, 03:54 PM
Jan shrugs. "Well, that's fine, then. Gotta start campin' soon anyway. Any chance we could talk to the man to try and work somethin' out? It'd be much appreciated if we could just sleep inside the camp, or nearby. Safety in numbers, y'know? Course, if the foreman doesn't like travelers in any circumstance, we'll be on our way."

Razorstorm
2013-07-28, 06:44 PM
Brayan looks around, looking to see if anyone's around. "Well, yeah, I guess I could take you to him. Ask him yourself." He motions for you to follow him.

He walks you around the camp. Here and there you see men settling in for the evening, eating dinner, etc. You definitely notice a few that are coughing raggedly. They should probably be home resting, but here they are working... Brayan points at a man up ahead, talking to a few workers. You all recognize Foreman Jones. He's worked his way up the ranks of the Consortium as one of Boss "Payday" Payden's lieutenants. He's widely known as a bully.

Foreman Jones acknowledges him with a raise of his head, then his brow furrows when he sees the lot of you behind him. He finishes his orders to the men talking with him, and dismisses them. He folds his rather large arms across his rather large chest and belly. He spits a nasty black tobacco spit on the ground as you reach him. "Brayan, what the hell are you doing bringing these low-lifes into camp?" Brayan apologizes, and mumbles something about getting back to his watch, and makes himself scarce. The Foreman looks you all up and down, clearly taking your measure, his tongue working on something in his teeth. "Well... You all're a long way from home. Whatdya want?"

Cyclopean
2013-07-28, 07:48 PM
As Brayan walks away, Jan flashes him a grateful smile. He listens intently as the boss speaks, and nods when he finishes. "Evenin' Jones. We were hopin' t'stay in camp 'fore we go into the forest tomorrow mornin'. We're not picky as t'where we stay. If it takes a few coppers, we can do that."

Razorstorm
2013-07-28, 07:56 PM
Foreman Jones steps up to Jan, staring down at him imperiously. "Aw, you kids scared to be out alone at night? Tell you what, for 10 silvers I'll ignore you trash in my camp. But don't eat none of the food, that's for employees only!" He leans back, which makes his belly stick out further, and waits for your response.

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-28, 10:22 PM
Abram steps to the front. "I'm a bit of an entertainer," He says. "How about I sing a few songs for the camp. Liven them up. Get them energized for a hard days work tomorrow. In exchange we don't have to pay anything AND we get to eat some food. I can all but guarantee the extra effort you get tomorrow will pay for the trouble tonight.

TheCalebG
2013-07-28, 11:01 PM
Faced with the Foreman, Thorpin's bravado drops a few measures and he actually shrinks back behind Abram. All the rumors he's heard and the slim possibility that the Foreman had something to do with his missing parents overwhelm him.

Razorstorm
2013-07-28, 11:13 PM
Foreman Jones sneers at the cowed Thorpin.

He considers Abram's offer, one finger tapping against his crossed arms. He spits another tobacco-spit off to the side. Then, begrudgingly, "Yeah... I've heard you sing down at the tavern in town. You're not even half bad." He looks around at the various tired-looking men around camp. He yells this next part for their benefit, "I guess these worthless sacks of dung could use some pepping up. How would you boys like some songs from a gen-u-ine mintrel-man?" You see a bunch of smiles from the crowd, and several claps, and even a few cheers. He turns his attention back to the party. "Alright. You got yourself a deal. But I want you all out of here right after breakfast, got it?"

He turns and leaves you there in camp to fulfill your side of the bargain.

Razorstorm
2013-07-29, 10:10 PM
After an evening of song that lifted the whole camp's spirits, including your own, you all get to retire to a small shack with cots. Not the exactly the comforts of home, but it's certainly better than sleeping on the ground. The next morning, you join lumberjacks for breakfast, and then you strike out into the woods, marching briskly through the thick woods of Darkmoon Vale, leaving the scar that is the lumber camp behind you. There is no road where you're going. Luckily, these woods see a lot of traffic from the woodsmen, so Morphar and Thorpin lead the group along a variety of trails weaving to the north, bringing you towards the lake. This first leg of the journey is frequented by the lumberjacks, so you hear sounds of the occasional crashing tree, and you see a distinct lack of game. You push aggressively through the forest. It is a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the temperature is moderate. You couldn't ask for better conditions.

After 2 hours, you notice a distinct change in the tone of the woods. You are now out of the area the sees much woodsmen traffic, and the forest starts coming to life. Instead of foot-trails, you find yourselves following game trails, and you start noticing the elevation. You see more fauna of all kinds: birds, rodents, and even a Dunlied, one of the region's breed of stout, small-antlered deer that foresters sometimes train as mounts.

Here's a taste of what it looks like:
http://www.equitrekking.com/images/uploads/Quaking%20Aspen2%20copy(1).jpg

After another few hours, you start descending towards the lake. You catch glimpses of the clear water through the trees. You are following a tiny brook dribbling its way downhilll.

Here's a bit of what it's like:
http://www.davisrealtyauction.com/listman/listings/images/175_1.jpg

As you head downhill, you hear the whimper of a small animal. Not far from the edge of the forest-shrouded lake, a Darkmoon Firefoot fox with large ears and bright orange fur lies bleeding, its hindquarters caught fully in the jaws of a crude iron trap. The cries are hearbreaking, like those of a small puppy. It sees you and futiley tries to escape.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a562/Roaddawg21/fox006_zps8e13045f.jpg

TheCalebG
2013-07-29, 10:34 PM
As we head off, Thorpin tries to recover from the intimidation he suffered at the camp. He's excited to be able to help point the group in the right direction. He'll run ahead from time to time, and point out interesting things. I'm sure the others reign him in and he focuses on the task at hand.

When he sees the fox, he immediately heads over to try to help. He walks slowly and makes quiet "shhhhh" noises. When he's closer, he'll try to spring the trap, if the fox lets him get close enough.

Morcleon
2013-07-30, 08:15 AM
With a curious look, Morphar crouches down beside Thorpin, murmuring to the fox. "Hello there little one. We'll get you out of there quickly..."

Razorstorm
2013-07-30, 08:47 AM
Ambush!!!!
Making a spot or Listen check (DC 17) for everyone (Thorpin, you're also getting a Track roll to be tipped off by signs around the fox), and an initiative roll for everyone. If your spot check is less than 17, you cannot act in this first round of combat since you are "Surprised."

Spot
Morphar (spot w/ advantage) 2d20
Thorpin (spot for Tracking) [roll0]+[roll1] (Listen) [roll2]+[roll3]
Jan (spot) [roll4]+[roll5]
Abram (Listen) [roll6]+[roll7]
Grakken (spot) [roll8]+[roll9]

Initiative
Morphar [roll10]
Thorpin [roll11]
Jan [roll12]
Abram [roll13]
Grakken [roll14]
Monsters [roll15]

A slight rush of motion, and the sound of a creaking bow, catching your attention, and you see a grizzled bugbear draw back a bow taking aim at you. He is about 50ft away, perched up in a tree about 10 ft off the ground. There is a pair of nasty large black hawks, almost like small eagles, on his tree, known as Razorhawks. His name is Grung Knifetongue. You all know who he is whether or not you have ever seen him personally. He is notorious in this area as a violent trapper, and more than a few lumberjacks have died either at his hand or in his traps over the years. His face is all over wanted posters, and the Consortium has put a bounty on his head.
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/1133739/Bruthazmus.jpg

Locations
You all are in a rough clump about 10 ft from the water's edge. Grung and his Razorhawks are roughly 50 ft away from all of you, and he is 10 ft up in his tree. All terrain is lightly wooded, and counts as difficult terrain (1/2 speed), but also makes finding cover very easy. Anyone can take half-cover as a movement action (ducking behind a tree, etc). Grung currently has half-cover.

Razorstorm
2013-07-30, 08:52 AM
Round 1 Ambush
Grung releases the arrow with a sharp *twang* and it streaks through the air towards Thorpin.

@Thorpin
To Hit: [roll0] (hit)
Damage: [roll1]

The two hawks swoop forward, cleary following a command, and close with Morphar and Jan.

@Morphar
To Hit: [roll2] (crit)
Damage: [roll3] (x2)

@Jan
To Hit: [roll4] (crit)
Damage: [roll5] (x2)

OOC- Okay, now your turn!

Razorstorm
2013-07-30, 08:53 AM
Wow, two crits from the Razorhawks! Jan and Morphar, please take double damage from those

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-07-30, 03:21 PM
"Take cover!" Abram shouts as he draws his long sword and hefts his shield up. He then runs to stand in front of Morphar interposing himself (and his shield) between the Bugbear and Morphar. "you okay?"

TheCalebG
2013-07-30, 07:42 PM
Thorpin yelps and dodges behind a tree as he grabs his bow and takes aim.

"That really hurt you ugly lump of trash! Take this!"

Morcleon
2013-07-31, 07:59 AM
Morphar drops down behind some heavy brush, the arrow sticking out of his lower shoulder. "I'll live, I suppose. Still hurts a lot."

He concentrates for a brief moment, then fires a thin beam of faint blue energy at Grung, a few faint snowflakes falling from its path.

Move: Drop down to get half-cover.

Standard: Cast ray of frost at Grung. If it hits, he takes a -10 ft speed penalty.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] cold

Razorstorm
2013-08-02, 12:16 AM
DM acting on Snowbluff's behalf

Round 1 Initiative 7

Grakken casts Sacred Flame at the Razorhawk that attacked Morphar
Damage [roll0]
Razorhawk's saving throw [roll1] vs DC 14

Razorstorm
2013-08-02, 12:47 AM
Round 1 recap

Thorpin takes an arrow in the shoulder, and Morphar gets raked by the hawk. Morphar drops behind a large log on it's side, and zaps Grung with a frosty blast. Thorpin kneels next to the same log, and lets off a shot Grung pulls back from the double attack, injured. Grakken singes the hawk.

Locations & Statuses:
Grung is still up in his tree 50 ft away. Thorpin and Morphar are both in half-cover. Both Razorhawks are nearby all of you, and one is engaged with Morphar, while the other is engaged with Jan.

Everyone can act during this next round. Put all actions and rolls in this thread, and make sure to post Round 2 Initiative XX at the top of all of your posts.

Round 2 Initiative 15

Grung leaps from the tree, and starts running away into the brush. (double move)

The Razorhawk attacking Jan continues doing so.
To Hit: [roll0]

The Razorhawk attacking Morphar switches to attack Grakken.
To Hit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Cyclopean
2013-08-02, 03:34 PM
Round 2, Init. 8
"Damn birds!" cries Jan as a long gash is carved into his arm. As he dodges the second attack, he sees the Bugbear getting away, and curses.
With some deft manuevering, Jan manages to get on the other side of the Razorhawk stymied by the dwarf's shield. Grimacing, he launches his fist at the raptor.

Jan moves to flank Grakken's Razorhawk, using Tumble and Tumbling movement to evade AOO from his own. The roll on that is forthcoming; I need to read up on those rules a bit. :smallredface:

Hit Points: 9/11
AC: 16
BAB: +1
Attack: Unarmed Strike +4 (1d6+3)
Speed: 30 ft

Class Features: Mindful Defense, Monastic Tradition [Storms Path], Ki Use [Warrior's Gale, 1/day]

Feats: Martial Arts (Monk Bonus), Tumbling Movement
Background: Guide
Skills: Sense Motive, Tumble, Climb, Spot

Cyclopean
2013-08-02, 03:38 PM
Augh...no, I don't roll a d20 for damage. Here's the actual damage roll, and an educated guess on how my tumble check works.
Damage: [roll0]
Tumble: [roll1] + [roll2]
[roll3] + [roll4]

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-08-02, 04:07 PM
Abram Round 2 Initiative: 10

Abram will stay near Morphar and try to keep the Razorhawks off so he can cast his spells. If one of them comes close enough (or tries to attack Morphar) I'll take a swing with my Long Sword.
Atk [roll0]
Dmg [roll1]

Morcleon
2013-08-02, 10:38 PM
Morphar: Round 2, Initiative 14

As Grung runs away, Morphar sighs. He would get him, one day. But for now, the razorhawks are a bigger threat. Turning slightly, he lets off another burst of icy cold at the one that had attacked him.

Standard: Cast ray of frost on the razorhawk that attacked me.

Razorstorm
2013-08-03, 09:11 AM
Round 2 recap

Morphar blasts the Razorhawk in his face with a blast of cold, an it sputters at the intense chill. It wings are covered in frost, and it awkwardly careens to the ground, unable to fly. It smashes hard into the ground an lays still.

Abram whirls to the bird fighting Jan and intercepts it as it circled away after its attack earlier.

The area is silent, except for your heavy breathing. And Grung is gone. After a moment, the silence is broken by that same sad whine from the exotic fox, still struggling in the trap.

TheCalebG
2013-08-04, 09:03 PM
"well, that was a rough bit, wasn't it lads?"

Thorpin tears off a bit of his cloak and uses it to dab at his bleeding shoulder. Then he goes over to the fox and tries to pry open the trap.

check to open trap with thieves tools. [roll0]

Razorstorm
2013-08-05, 09:20 PM
Opening the trap is a relatively simple matter for someone not stuck in it. It requires some grunting and straining, but you get it open. The little fennec squirms away, clearly injured, but not completely crippled. It licks your hand appreciatively, still whining.

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-08-06, 01:16 PM
Abram seems flustered and angry, but at whom, no one is certain. He stalks around camp for a bit and seems to be willing himself to see better and notice more.

After everyone has time to recover a bit and rest up, he re-shoulders his pack and says, "come on, we need to keep moving if we want to get there before nightfall."

TheCalebG
2013-08-06, 08:09 PM
Thorpin digs some travel rations out of his pack and tosses little bits at the fennec to see what it likes. He's very focused on the animal and isn't paying much attention to Abram.

Razorstorm
2013-08-07, 12:33 AM
The group strikes out, continuing on their path. The next leg of the journey is relatively easy, as you are basically curving around the lake. From there, you start heading off to the North, Morphar and Thorpin leading the way. After several hours of heading north through the thick woods, Jan gets the distinct feeling that you are not heading North anymore. You find a crest that gives you the first "high-ground" vantage points you've had in a while. You realize three things.

First of all, in the last hour or two, you apparently started veering off to the West, missing the tree. You've all been hiking for 10 hours now, and are pretty tired. You still think you could make it back to the tree in less than an hour, if you could head straight towards it.

Secondly, while you can see where you want to go, there is now a pretty severe gully in the way of going straight that way. You could go around, but it would delay you by a good bit. You could go straight through, but that will probably involve some actual climbing, unless you can find some foot path (which you can't see any sign of from here).

Finally, down the hill from you, just off the game trail leading towards the gully, you can see a small campsite with a modest fire, and what looks to be three lumbermen sitting around preparing dinner. They are completely oblivious to your group, between the thick foliage between you, the difference in elevation, and... oh yeah, the fact that they seem completely WASTED might have something to do with it. The early evening quiet is punctuated by their laughs and off-tune drunken singing. They sound like they're having a grand time.

OOC - If you go around the gully, it will take an entire extra turn to get to the Eldest Tree, and will require DC 10 Con checks for everyone to not be fatigued tomorrow. And it will be dark by the time you get there. If you are able to find an easy path through the gully, you can reach the tree without risking any fatigue, and will not quite be dark yet. That is... IF you are able to find the path through the gully.

TLDR - Eldest Tree is thata-way, but the gully's in the way, and a camp of drunken woodsmen right off the trail ahead of you. What do you do?

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-08-09, 12:54 PM
Abram drops his pack and takes a moment to stretch out his back and shoulders. He then takes a long drink from his canteen. Wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve and lets out a long sigh.
"Guess we missed our turn," he says with a gruff laugh. [COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Anyone feel up to pushing through? I'd rather go than stay, but I also don't want anyone to break a leg."

Snowbluff
2013-08-09, 08:24 PM
"Ay c'n patch us oop if yee'd perfer. Naht much point in goin' aheed half cocked, though..." The cleric examines his holy symbol carefully.

Morcleon
2013-08-10, 12:38 AM
Nodding, Morphar grins ruefully at Grakken. That would be preferable."

He glances across the gully, then whispers to his owl. "Fly over and see if you can find another path up the other side of this rift that does not involve climbing a sheer face." With a hoot, his familiar takes off silently.

Cyclopean
2013-08-12, 07:52 AM
Jan looks at the gully, the camp, the path and then the gully again, scratching the stubble on his chin. He breaks into a weak grin. "Hey Whistler, reckon I can make the jump across?" After a moment more of thought, he chuckles and shakes his head. "Nah, prob'ly not. But I think we could make th'climb pretty easy. I say we talk to the folks down there first, though. Oughta warn 'em there's a bugbear on the loose."

TheCalebG
2013-08-12, 10:55 PM
Thorpin has the fox perched on his shoulder, feeding him little scraps from his trail rations.

"I want to get a move on, but I am bleeding through this bandage..."

Razorstorm
2013-08-13, 06:10 PM
After a while, Morphar's owl soars back through the night on silent wings. He lands on his master's extended arm, then whispers something only the two of them can understand.

Morphar
Your companion has found what appears to be a difficult to find footpath through the gully that should be easy for you "walkers" to handle. He indicates a rough location, and will show you exactly where it is when you get closer.

Your group heads down through the trees, and just as you enter the perimeter of the campsite, the three men sitting around the fire burst into laughter. In the center is a simple fire, with a pot of stew of some kind bubbling above. One, a burly fellow with a sterotypical beard, is stirring the pot. Another, an older bald man with dark skin and a tightly trimmed beard, is just finishing setting up his tent. The third, a skinny, severe, clean-shaven fellow, is sitting on a rock, whittling something.

Cyclopean
2013-08-15, 01:51 PM
"Hey there, fellas! Are ya doin' all right?"

TheCalebG
2013-08-15, 08:47 PM
"Evening 'gents! That stew smells mighty good!" Mind of we take a seat and patch ourselves up a bit?"

Razorstorm
2013-08-19, 06:36 AM
The burly fellow stirring the pot throws his arms up in a boisterous welcome, "Oh, HELLOOOO!" the ladle in one hand spraying a bit of hot soup on the older dark-skinned man, who's had just turned in surprise at your approach, now sputtering at the hot soup in his face. He wipes it off and glares murderously at the burly one, whose eyes widen in horror. He holds up both of his hands in deep apology, "Sorry, fella, didn't mean to get ya there!"

The severe man looks up from his whittling, smiling at the soup-havoc that just happened. He looks at you, and says politely, in a gravelly voice, "We're doing just dandy, thank you. What might the bunch of you be doing out here? It's pretty late, and you're an awfully long ways from town. And if you don't mind me saying so, the lot of you don't exactly look like woodsmen." You notice the hand holding the knife shifts from a whittling hold to a more combat ready position, it's clear he doesn't trust you one bit. He also seems quite a bit more sober than the other two.

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-08-19, 09:06 AM
"It is, we are and we're not," Abram quips. "We're out trying to gather some supplies for our village healer. Got lost for a bit and then ran into a nasty fellow by the name of Grung. Heard your camp and wanted to warn you to be on guard."

Razorstorm
2013-08-21, 02:38 AM
The older man looks at his two companions worriedly. "Grung, you say? That toothy bastard. Haven't seen him myself in a long time, but I keep hearing about him. Had a run-in a few years back when both if us were younger. Hmm, we'll O guess we might want to keep a proper watch tonight fellas. Pity too, I was having a right good time. It's gettin' dark soon, you boys want to camp for the night?"

Cyclopean
2013-08-24, 12:24 PM
Jan smiles. "We're kinda in a hurry, I'm afraid. If we weren't trying to get t' the Eldest Tree before nightfall, we'd be more than happy to help keep watch for Grung."

Upon saying the bugbear's name, Jan's expression freezes, then turns into a grimace. He strikes his forehead and continues, "It just occurred t' me that he's likely as not on our trail, meanin' we've led the bastard right t' your camp here. I figger helpin' y' keep watch is the least we can do to make up for that."

Razorstorm
2013-08-25, 12:25 PM
The burly gentleman speaks up, "Well y'all are welcome here if you like, but it sounds like you have important business to attend to. We certainly appreciate the warning. If you're headed down into that gully there, make sure you head to the left for about 200 ft. There's a footpath down that way that is really the only easy way up that gully wall. It's kinda hard to find, so look for the tree stump that looks like it was on fire." Morphar's owl nods at his master, confirming the explanation given.

"At the very least, can I offer you a quick cup of soup before you head out?" The burly one offers, with a big grin.

The old man pipes up as well, "If your business at that whata-whata Tree doesn't take too long or put you too far from here, you're also welcome to come back and spend the night here, if you're so inclined. Either way, best of luck to ya. We appreciate you stopping by."

Razorstorm
2013-08-26, 11:01 PM
The group takes a few minutes to have a bowl of soup, maybe have a swig of ale, make sure they're ready to continue, and then sets out with a wave from the lumberjacks.

You head down into the gully, and Morphar's owl leads you directly to a spot matching the description that the man gave you exactly. You are able to easily hike up the slope that you otherwise certainly would have had to make a risky climb up.

The good news is that you make good time directly towards the tree. The bad news is that between getting lost, waiting for Morphar's familiar to scout things out, and taking time to warn the men, the day has definitely gotten away from you. You aren't quite to the point of risking fatigue, but it has gotten dark. Anyone without darkvision low-light vision, which is much of the party, needs a light source. Please call out who is carrying a source of light.

Beyond the immediate glow of the source of light, anyone without special vision has Disadvantage on all attacks, and beyond much more than that can hardly see at all. Those with low-light are fine out to the further distance, and only suffer Disadvantage beyond that. Those with Darkvision are fine out to their stated distance and only suffer Disadvantage beyond that.

The group pushes on through the woods, and soon you reach the area of the Eldest Tree. The woods are deeper, darker, here. More oppressive, more commanding more... ancient. For the last while, the star-filled sky has been completely hidden by the thick canopy. There is no trail here. You carefully pick your way between the thicket of trunks.

The dense trees and thick brush of the forest give way, parting seemingly in respect for the titanic darkwood tree that dominates this clearing. Several times taller than a temple minaret, in one direction the obviously ancient tree reaches into the sky with branches like a giant’s arms, while in the other it plumbs the earth with roots thicker than a man’s waist. Its limbs broad and strong, its bark thick and so richly colored as to almost be black, and its leaves the size of bucklers, the giant thing is less a tree and more a cathedral of boughs and branches. The clearing almost demands a sense of awe and respect.

Morphar (Natural Lore)
This elder darkwood tree is the most ancient of its kind in Darkmoon Vale. Said to have been carried as a sapling from the Hissing Jungle and planted here in the distant past by Deirzir, the Eagle of The First Way, himself, the druids that once guarded the forest claimed this darkwood to be the root from which all Darkmoon grew.

The clearing is roughly ovular, 180 feet from north to south and 110 feet from west to east. The elder darkwood has a trunk 30 feet in diameter, with low, easy to climb branches (DC 10 Climb check) that extend 35 feet from the trunk in every direction. A persistent character could eventually scale the tree’s nearly 300-foot height, gaining a commanding view of the entire forest.

Supposedly the moss is to be found growing on the Eldest Tree.

OOC for Everyone
I'd love to get a reaction post from a few characters as you enter the clearing.
If everyone could please give me a Spot (Wis) check.
If you would like to search the clearing, please make an Search (Int) check, if you want to climb the tree and look higher, please make a Climb (Str) check.

TheCalebG
2013-08-31, 12:49 PM
Thorpin lights up a torch when it starts to get dark.

As they walk, the fox stays on his shoulder. Eventually, the fox curls up in the hood of Thorpin's cloak and goes to sleep.

When the party enters the clearing, Thorpin's jaw drops. He's in absolute awe of the tree and the clearing. He stands close to Abram for a sense of comfort and protection. He's not exactly cowering, but he's not his typical energetic self.

"By the gods, that is...well, a big damn tree. Where's the, uh, thing we're supposed to find?"

Spot check [roll0]+[roll1]+[roll2]

Search check to look around the clearing and see if anything catches his eye
[roll3]+[roll4]

(edit: OOC, wow, those rolls are quite the opposite, geeze)

Cyclopean
2013-09-01, 10:14 AM
Jan winces as Thorpin lights his torch. "Anybody got a hooded lantern? Ain't much we can do if Grung's after us, but I'druther we not make it any easier for 'im."

Jan gives a low whistle and breaks out in a grin as soon as they come to the tree. "Now ain't that somethin'? Be worth the trip t'see this alone." His delighted expression fades a little as he remembers the reason they did come here.

Jan will go looking for moss. The climb check is for if he sees a lot of moss higher up on the tree, or doesn't see any on the base. He won't want to take a torch or the like with him; again he really doesn't want to broadcast their location to Grung.

Spot: [roll0] + [roll1] = 23
Search: [roll2]
Climb: [roll3] + [roll4] = 12

And if the climb roll or lack of light gives advantage or disadvantage to my search check: [roll5]

Razorstorm
2013-09-03, 12:00 AM
Jan and Thorpin go scurrying about the clearing, looking for the moss. Thorpin suddenly sees the yellow moss matching the description they were given just up above the first tier of branches, easily reachable. He points up, calling Jan's attention to it. However, Jan's attention is suddenly elsewhere, eyes wide, looking up at the green reptilian streak barreling down at Thorpin.

Here's what's barrelling down at you through the branches of the trees:
A large reptilian creature with a bestial trunk ending in gaping draconic maw, with tiny clawed arms at it's side, and a long, thick, sinuous serpentine body.
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/55271/tatzlwyrm.jpg

The tatzlwyrm crashes down from above into Thorpin, all big giant toothy mouth.
Hit: 10 [roll1]
Possible Str roll to automatically grapple Thorpin [roll2]
Contested by a Dex check from Thorpin [roll3]

The beast chomps on Thorpin's arm, and its serpentine body whips around the young man, entangling him in its coils.

Rolling Initiative!
Thorpin (surprised) [roll4]
Abram (surprised) [roll5]
Morphar (surprised) [roll6]
Grakken [roll7]
Jan [roll8]

Monster goes first, then the not-surprised Jan & Grakken can go for Round 1. Then Monster kicks off round 2, and everyone else can take turns starting Round 2.

Thorpin and Jan are engaged with the Tatzlwyrm, who's back is against the tree, which is wide enough to be a wall for all intents and purposes. Thorpin and the wyrm are grappling. The rest of the party is nearby, but unengaged.

Snowbluff
2013-09-03, 01:15 PM
"BAY FIYAH BEY PURGED!"

Sacred Flame on the creature.

Damage [roll0] Sacred
Reflex 15 for negation, I believe.

Razorstorm
2013-09-03, 01:35 PM
Wyrm Reflex [roll0]

The lash of holy flame catches the tatzlwyrm on the head, and it roars in anger.

TheCalebG
2013-09-03, 07:34 PM
Thorpin tries to yelp and moves for his sword, but the beast attacks too quickly. His arms are pinned to his side and blood is streaming everywhere. His eyes roll back in his head and sags against the serpent's body, falling unconscious.

Michael_DnDAcad
2013-09-04, 02:41 PM
Obviously more tired that he wanted to let on, Abram fumbles futilely for his sword and shield as the beast latches onto Thorpin. "THOR!" he bellows as his young friend drops lifeless beneath the crushing weight of the beast.

Cyclopean
2013-09-05, 10:23 AM
Without a word, Jan leaps into the air and comes crashing down on the creature.

OOC:Jan uses Warrior's Gale to fly 40 feet for his movement.He ends up in the space directly above the wyrm and then makes an unarmed strike (specifically, he tries to break the thing's neck with his boot.) Gravity starts to work on him again during his next turn.

Razorstorm
2013-09-05, 01:47 PM
Jan comes down on the wyrm with a solid crunch, and the beast squeals with obvious pain. It releases the unconcious Thorpin, who slumps to the ground, and slithers a little to the side, circling Jan. Coiling and then striking out with blinding speed, the Wyrm attempts to chomp Jan's leg with it's toothy maw!

Tatzlwyrm's Round 2 attack
Bite
Hit: 10 [roll1]

Possible Str roll to automatically grapple Jan [roll2]
Contested by a Dex check from Jan [roll3]

Jan pulls an aerial flip, and at the apex of his flip uses his hands (upside down!) to deflect the wyrm past him.

Razorstorm
2013-09-05, 01:59 PM
Round 1 Recap and statuses

Jan is the only one engaged with the Wyrm. Everyone else is nearby, but engaged. Jan and the Wyrm are facing each other parallel to the tree (effectively a wall) so the Wyrm cannot be surrounded, but can be flanked by one other person. Thorpin is unconscious and dying at 0 HP.

Reminder of death rules from this packet
Every turn he has to make a DC 10 Con Death save.
On third success, you stabilize. On third failure, you die. These do not have to be consecutive.
Natural 1 counts as two failures. Natural 20 you regain 1 HP.
If he regains any HP, he automatically is conscious again, and may act the next turn.
Administer First Aid - DC 10 Wis check to Stabilize.

The wyrm has taken his Round 2 turn. Everyone can act this next turn. Post away!

Cyclopean
2013-09-05, 05:37 PM
Jan gives a grunt of satisfaction as he strikes true. As he evades the wyrm and lands, he shouts "Someone help the kid! I'll keep the beast offa ya!"

OOC:
Talking as a free action.
Razor, was that the wyrm's action for this new round? I thought its surprise round action was downing our rogue.

Cyclopean
2013-09-05, 05:40 PM
OOC:
It's been so long since I've been the first in initiative...

Jan jabs at the eye of the ugly beast.

Rolls:

Razorstorm
2013-09-05, 05:45 PM
OOC:
Yes, my bad. That was his attack to kick off the beginning of Round 2. I'll go make that clearer in the other post. Thanks!

TheCalebG
2013-09-05, 08:32 PM
Thorpin flops to the ground and lands in a heap. Blood pools around him. He groans slightly.

Death Save (Con Check)
[roll0]

Razorstorm
2013-09-05, 10:54 PM
OOC: Oh dear! Thorpin is one step closer to death!

Morcleon
2013-09-16, 04:07 PM
Morphar ducks backward from the beast, sending a brilliant lance of ice at it. "Dammit! Lure that thing away from Thorpin!"

Move: Off to the side, about 30' away from the creature.
Standard: Cast Ray of Frost.
Damage: [roll1] cold

TheCalebG
2013-09-16, 08:04 PM
Thorpin twitches and tries to get up, but just falls back to the ground.

[roll0]