PDA

View Full Version : mega raptor feats

Darth Stabber
2013-07-08, 11:41 PM
So I am working out the last bits for a 12th level druid to be played by a newbie player in my biweekly game. I have prestated several combat forms, I have almost finished flashcards of useful summons, I have picked equipment, and all that remains is finishing up the animal companion. The creature in question is a megaraptor, it's a strong damage dealer and big enough to ride (dinosaur mounts are always a crowd pleaser). Means as how the SRD allows you to pick the critter's feats, and animals tend to suck at picking feats, I am now sorting out how to spend these feats. The creature has run, toughness, and track by default, +1 more from the extra hit die. The druid can already track (regional freebie feat), so all of these feats are pretty useless. So what can I pull with 3 feats (multi-attack is pretty much a given)?

My initial thought is PA, improved bullrush, and shocktrooper, but that seems a touch gimmicky.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-09, 12:01 AM
If it matter, the druid is built for WS melee.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-09, 11:30 AM
Mega-raptors are pretty fun. They were one of my favorite summons for a shifter moonspeaker npc that I ran a bit ago.

So, good feats. Hmm, maybe one of the ones that improves flanking, since the druid and the AC will probably be knee-deep in mooks and enemies a fair amount of the time. Combat Reflexes and Vexing Flanker, perhaps?

Finally, I'm kind of a noob to ToB, but I've since become quite a big fan of the feats that it offers. I don't know if you're willing to put Martial Study on a megaraptor, as it does strain the fluff of the ToB material, but I think it works by RAW, and there is lots of utility for a maneuver of some kind (even more so if you go further and get the stance). There might need to be some kind of semi-houserule trick to get the animal to use it, though. Even beyond Martial Study/Stance, some of the other feats are quite solid.

I'll think about it some more.:smallwink:

dspeyer
2013-07-09, 12:14 PM
Every melee character wants power attack.

Leap Attack (C. Adv.) is a good one for a megaraptor, seeing as they already have pounce, four natural attacks, and a racial bonus to jump. It doubles the power attack bonuses.

Mutliattack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiattack) might be worth it, with all those secondary attacks. It's only +3, but you might need it, especially with power attack.

Humble Master
2013-07-09, 12:21 PM
Mega-raptors are pretty fun. They were one of my favorite summons for a shifter moonspeaker npc that I ran a bit ago.

So, good feats. Hmm, maybe one of the ones that improves flanking, since the druid and the AC will probably be knee-deep in mooks and enemies a fair amount of the time. Combat Reflexes and Vexing Flanker, perhaps?

Finally, I'm kind of a noob to ToB, but I've since become quite a big fan of the feats that it offers. I don't know if you're willing to put Martial Study on a megaraptor, as it does strain the fluff of the ToB material, but I think it works by RAW, and there is lots of utility for a maneuver of some kind (even more so if you go further and get the stance). There might need to be some kind of semi-houserule trick to get the animal to use it, though. Even beyond Martial Study/Stance, some of the other feats are quite solid.

I'll think about it some more.:smallwink: Put Martial Study on a Megaraptor? I love it.

But yah, Power Attack, Shocktrooper, Leap Attack and Multi Attack are all good choices.

Vaz
2013-07-09, 01:26 PM
Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knockdown.

Then go into Leap Attack/Shock Trooper chain?

You'll easily be doing 10 damage for knockdown to occur, and with large (huge?) size and reach, combined with a few +Dex buffs, he can provide battlefield control, freeing up your ability to gain Spontaneous Fast Healing if you so desire.

ddude987
2013-07-09, 01:30 PM
Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knockdown.

Then go into Leap Attack/Shock Trooper chain?

You'll easily be doing 10 damage for knockdown to occur, and with large (huge?) size and reach, combined with a few +Dex buffs, he can provide battlefield control, freeing up your ability to gain Spontaneous Fast Healing if you so desire.

Imporved trip requires int 13

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-09, 01:46 PM
Put Martial Study on a Megaraptor? I love it.

I was thinking, like...maybe a maneuver that increases reach (i think there was one like that...not sure it would be available with this method...my ToB experience is still quite nascent) along with a stance that promotes lockdown. A megaraptor has a pretty big footprint, and so it makes a nice anchor to keep the battlefield from shifting around the party.

The PA, Leap Attack route is pretty standard for pouncing dinos (a la fleshraker). It's certainly a nice charger build, but the OP should indicate to this new player that the feats are designed to optimize charging, so the dino should do that in most encounters. In my experience, new players often don't understand the AC and HP dynamics enough to tell when a strongly offensive strategy like charging is wise/unwise, and so often hold their precious ally back, when the whole point of this kind of build is "CHARGE, CHARGE, CHARGE." Worth a note on the flashcards or a word with the player.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-09, 03:19 PM
Multiattack is pretty much an autopick for animals that qualify.

If charging is where I am going to go, do I want shocktrooper or leap attack? Due to the improved bullrush prereq on shocktroop I can't do both.

geekintheground
2013-07-09, 03:28 PM
for what its worth, druid animal companions automatically get multiattack when the druid hits effective druid lvl 9

Darth Stabber
2013-07-09, 03:31 PM
for what its worth, druid animal companions automatically get multiattack when the druid hits effective druid lvl 9

Which for a megaraptor is 18. I'll let it retrain it if we ever get that far.

Waker
2013-07-09, 03:36 PM
Don't teach the Megaraptor any maneuvers, we can't have Ninja Dinosaurs (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/21p74/) running around.
I like simplicity, so I would probably go with Power Attack, Leap Attack and Cleave. As pointed out, you do get Multi-Attack automatically.

Vaz
2013-07-09, 06:08 PM
Imporved trip requires int 13

Oh yeah. Oops.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 01:55 AM
A thought occurs: shape soulmeld (dissolving spittle) + some essentia feats. Then give it a big frilly collar. Then have it chase down fat guys.