PDA

View Full Version : Character Optimization concept: Tobronn Winterseer, Bane of Tyrants

ArqArturo
2013-07-09, 01:43 AM
One of my favorite builds for a Gish, or a relatively powerful tank (in the way that it can survive quite a lot, really), is Roland the Bear of the North (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2919.50;wap2), a build made in the WoTC by Caelic, I think. Not so sure.

Anyways, I decided to do a build on my own, as to take a different take on the story of the character: Tobronn Winterseer, Bane of Tyrants. This build is made under the assumption that Illumians count as human, for the purpose of getting Able Learner

Tobronn Winterseer, Bane of Tyrants.
Illumian Paladin 5/Rogue 2/Grey Guard 3/Chamaleon 10
Feat progression (so far he would be at lvl 12):
lvl 1.- Able Learner
lvl 3.- Improved Sigils/Power Attack*
lvl 6.- Combat Casting
lvl 9.- Quicken Spell
lvl 12.- Divine Metamagic (Quicken)/Divine Might*
lvl 15.- Persistent Spell/Divine Metamagic (Quicken)*
lvl 18.- Divine Metamagic (Persistent)/Extra Turning*

Sigils: Either Naen+Hoon for added metamagic effects, or Hoon+Krau* for the caster level and the healing effect on spells

Stats: (I rolled them):
Str 16
Dex 12
Con 18
Int 16
Wis 15
Cha 17

Fluff:
Snow fell in the town of Four Shields. It was night, and the townsfolk were hurrying to their homes. Only the solitary man in the heavy bearskin cloak did not. Tobronn enjoyed the falling snow, actually. The cabal house was enclosed, and as a youth he never really got a chance to experience the outside world, so he enjoyed watching the falling snow clumping over everything. He stood in front of the tavern door for a bit, and took a deep breath from the cold night air. As he exhaled, steam escaped from his mouth, leaving a big trace of his warm breath. When he got inside, he saw the Warlock drinking heavily from the stolen silver cup, a cup that was precious to the Cabal. Tobronn unsheathed his greatsword, and pointed it at the warlock

"You have stolen from the Cabal. By my law as Enforcer, I judge you guilty".

Tobronn is, by most standards, not a common paladin. As he grew in a Chain Cabal, Tobronn was trained in the arts of deception and guile, only as means to identify saboteurs and spies. In time, he has learned to use the tools of the enemy in order to better prepare against such foes. The Chain cabal prides of their result in Tobronn, and wishes to replicate it with other likeminded Illumians. Tobronn not just simply chases thieves and infiltrators of rival cabals, or cults, but has also faced against tyrannical nobles who, in one way or another, have threatened the stability of their Cabal, and the town they inhabit, the city of Four Shields. Amongst his victories lie the defeat, trial and execution of the late Duchess Winsone D'Arrtreda. Her vile hobby of sadistic torture may have been gone unheard of in many more days, had she not commited the mistake to kidnap a group of young illumians on a mission towards a friendly Quill Cabal. As of late, Tobronn's new mission involves the retrieval of a previously unknown artifact from a would-be dictator.

The idea behind this build is to make a well-prepared gish, the one that relies solely on magic to buff/blast in battle. He can do this, but he can also seek out traps if needed, and be more combat-focused than most warriors, even enter in rage (I'm still kind of confused if a paladin that enters in rage might lose his Code, I guess it could happen if he kills innocents while in rage).

But, there's also the chance of actually casting divine magic, very powerful divine magic. The concept behind this build is not having the usual Chamaleon that hides its true identity, he doesn't really bother bluffing much, or disguising much (unless he absolutely must), but he doesn't boast about his skills. It's just a bad-arse that gets the job done :smallbiggrin:.

Waker
2013-07-09, 03:00 AM
You kind of cut off there at the end. What do you want the character to run like? Alternatively you might consider the Shadowbane Inquisitor as a replacement for Grey Guard as it provides much of the same flavor but provides better skill points and sneak attack, though at the loss of spellcasting and will saves.

Saintheart
2013-07-09, 06:29 AM
At the risk of a total rebuild, the character sounds a lot like a Ruby Knight Vindicator to me ...

Jeff the Green
2013-07-09, 06:38 AM
This build is made under the assumption that Illumians count as human, for the purpose of getting Able Learner

They do, as they have the human subtype.

In general (i.e. in point buy) I'd actually recommend Aeshkrau. You get the boosted CL from Krau and you can dump Wisdom to 10 since your bonus spells are based off of Strength. On the other hand, if you stick with those rolled stats, I'd swap out the levels of rogue for factotum, since your Intelligence is quite good and you get very little from the rogue levels.

ArqArturo
2013-07-09, 11:29 AM
You kind of cut off there at the end. What do you want the character to run like? Alternatively you might consider the Shadowbane Inquisitor as a replacement for Grey Guard as it provides much of the same flavor but provides better skill points and sneak attack, though at the loss of spellcasting and will saves.

Heheh, sorry, I just corrected that (power went out yesterday). I had thought about the Shadowbane Inquisitor, it seems that he can be less peckish than the Gray Guard, but yeah, the Will saves and spellcasting are bummer (Also the lay on hands progression, but no huge loss there, really).

At the risk of a total rebuild, the character sounds a lot like a Ruby Knight Vindicator to me ...

Is that a PrC from Tome of Battle?.

They do, as they have the human subtype.

In general (i.e. in point buy) I'd actually recommend Aeshkrau. You get the boosted CL from Krau and you can dump Wisdom to 10 since your bonus spells are based off of Strength. On the other hand, if you stick with those rolled stats, I'd swap out the levels of rogue for factotum, since your Intelligence is quite good and you get very little from the rogue levels.

I completely forgot about Aeshkrau. Works better I think :p. I have heard of Factotum in the threads, but I have to ask, in what book is that from? That's my doubt with the term Gestalt as well.

Waker
2013-07-09, 02:08 PM
Factotum is in Dungeonscape and its one of the bestest classes in 3.5. You could think of it as being the Chameleon base class. A Factotum with Able Learner has all the skill list as class skills when they multiclass.