PDA

View Full Version : Empower Spell (Metamagic)

AsheItachi
2013-07-09, 01:50 AM
If i use bestow curse with empower

would the -6 recieve an additional -3?

ArqArturo
2013-07-09, 01:51 AM
From what I know, Empower Spell only applies to damage.

AsheItachi
2013-07-09, 02:07 AM
From what I know, Empower Spell only applies to damage.

You can increase the power of your spells, causing them to deal more damage.

Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by half including bonuses to those dice rolls.

Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.

I do see that , and i understand i just see if i used it as a -to CON it would increase the HP damage he would suffer but that would be arguing semantics.

Barsoom
2013-07-09, 02:09 AM

Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by half including bonuses to those dice rolls.

Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.

I do see that , and i understand i just see if i used it as a -to CON it would increase the HP damage he would suffer but that would be arguing semantics.There's your answer. There are no random variables in Bestow Curse. -6 is always -6.

JellyPooga
2013-07-09, 02:12 AM
I do see that , and i understand i just see if i used it as a -to CON it would increase the HP damage he would suffer but that would be arguing semantics.

You don't take HP damage when you lose Con, but rather your max HP is lowered due to the Con loss.

Also; what Barsoom said.

Drachasor
2013-07-09, 02:23 AM

That first line is flavor text, the mechanics are after "Benefit:". It increases ALL variable, numeric effects whether or not they are damage.

Jack_Simth
2013-07-09, 02:24 AM
There's your answer. There are no random variables in Bestow Curse. -6 is always -6.

Note also that even if Bestow Curse had an option for something that was a random variable, the particular effect in question still wouldn't work with Empower, because it's not a ' variable, numeric effect'.