PDA

View Full Version : [Alignment Replacement] Color Alignments: Similar Idea Without the MTG Flavor

JBPuffin
2013-07-09, 01:58 AM
So you guys remember this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174163)? Well, I sort of got inspired by it, so I thought I'd post my mad musings in another thread. Here we go.

In the above link, Lord Gareth used the Magic:the Gathering colors to replace alignment. In his summaries of each color he gave 2 aspects of each, and that got me thinking of combining it with a Yin-Yang type thing for each aspect, creating a hybrid where the colors are simply labels for the combinations.

For our purposes, Yin represents somewhat positive influences while Yang is the opposite.

So, the 10 "aspects" are as follows:
Community: The well-being of the group. Focuses on your allies more than friends. Yin-aligned.
Discovery: Finding things people didn't know about; secrets, principles of math and science, stuff like that. Yin-aligned.
Emotion: Feeling and expressing things like pain, sorrow, anger etc. Yang-aligned.
Freedom: The belief you have the right to do as you please. Yang-aligned.
Growth: Making things bigger, and bigger is better. Yin-aligned.
Harmony: Balance is important, and keeping it has to be SOMEONE's job. Yin-aligned.
Individuality: Everyone's unique; some simply are more concerned about their own interests than others. Yang-aligned.
Knowledge: Knowing is half the battle; the other half is using it. Yang-aligned.
Order: Whether balanced or not, there are rules to be maintained. Yin-aligned.
Power: The strong can help the weak...or thrash them into the dust like the vermin they are. Yang-aligned.

Now, as for the colors that I've worked out:
Pink-(Community/Emotion; Neutral): Your primary concern is the well-being of your allies, physical and mental. You are compassionate and protective of your allies, sometimes to the point of beating monsters upside the head to keep them safe. The symbol of this color is a heart, and its main association is with the good-natured fey and love.
Azure-(Knowledge/Power; Yang): Your priority is to get better at what you're good at; ultimately, you want perfection in the art of your choice, and you're not too concerned about what it'll cost. This singlar focus sometimes means that there are people in the way of what you want. Those people usually die quite fast. The symbol of this color is an upright blaze, and its main association is with incarnum and arcane power.
Orange-(Harmony/Order; Yin): You are the calmest person in the room, and your task is to become even moreso. When your allies need a cool head to turn to, whether they know it or not, you are the one they turn to. Of course, violence disrupts the peace of those around you, and when others are restless you tend to feel it, and when you feel something, Pelor forbid you get a chance to get the offenders in the same room. The symbol of this color is a clenched fist, and its main association is monks and physical activity.
Teal-(Discovery/Freedom; Neutral): Your heart is tuned to the concept of adventure; if there is something to be found out in the world, you are the one who yearns to find it. Sometimes, people seek to prevent you from your latest near discovery, but you have a few tricks up your sleeve to make sure they cannot keep you down and curious. When your friends need someone who can tell them what that weird symbol does, you might know - and i you don't, you'll be the first to find out. The symbol of this color is an hourglass, and its main association is teleportation and time.
Grey-(Power/Individuality; Yang): Many seek their goals for benign reasons; you are one such person, simply wanting to do what you want to do and control over your actions. With this is in mind, your are somewhat of a softie, often helping people for free, but in combat you become as cold and economical as the steel in your hand. Your friends at first will probably think you've been possessed when this happens for the first time...but once they know why you're doing this, then they will learn to deal with it or suffer the same fate...The symbol of this color is a sword, and its main association is metal and architecture.

That's what I have right now; I'm hoping to have my versions of Yellow, Grey, Purple and Brown. Other colors are fair game at this point and I'm open for suggestions.

gr8artist
2013-07-10, 05:12 AM
It's neat, but it looks like you're going to have a lot of colors afterward.
10 total aspects.
9 combinations which include Community
8 which include Discovery but not Community (as Com/Disc is already factored into Com)
7 Emo
6 Free, etc... for a total of 45. That's a lot of alignments, and you're probably not going to notice a big difference between many of them.
If I were you, I'd cut down on the number of aspects, or use a virtue/vice system (which would go with your yin/yang dichotomy)

Also, as it is, many of the aspects you have listed as either "yin" or "yang" seem mislabeled to me. If Yin is positive/helpful/constructive, then shouldn't order fall under it's purview?
I would label them:
Com +
Disc +
Emo -
Free -
Grow +
Har +
Indi -
Know - ? this one's weird, given a yang quality for balance, not definition.
Ord +
Pow -

JonathonWilder
2013-07-12, 10:36 AM
If I were to choose only two what would this character be out of the 10 aspects?

You see he very much seeks after knowledge though more the discovery of the past and the history and cultures of other lands. An illusionist and storyteller that at times recklessly gets himself into danger. One with a strong sense to protect and will always keep a promise, yet one who also avoids commitment and responsibility. He will using knowledge and cunning to his advantage but will not go out of his way to harm other but has manipulated others and run away from conflict.

caledscratcher
2013-07-13, 12:12 AM
Hm... I had a thought for a three-aspect fusion. Seeing as you had asked for our ideas, I'll put it in. As a note, the three aspects are listed in order of significance in this color-alignment.

Avocado (Growth/Discovery/Freedom; 2:1 Yin:Yang): You see every moment as a place to start anew, wanting to become the best you can be by way of never ending your growth, and remembering the constant availability of other paths. You wish to be as well-rounded as you possibly can, while always having more options available. When someone is in trouble, you invariably help them, so that they can start again with a new outlook. You are sometimes a bit naive, especially with regards to people that never change, and tend to not understand why so few others share your outlook. The symbol of this color is a rising sun, and its main association is gnomes, mornings, and choices.

Arkhosia
2013-07-19, 04:31 AM
So you guys remember this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174163)? Well, I sort of got inspired by it, so I thought I'd post my mad musings in another thread. Here we go.

In the above link, Lord Gareth used the Magic:the Gathering colors to replace alignment. In his summaries of each color he gave 2 aspects of each, and that got me thinking of combining it with a Yin-Yang type thing for each aspect, creating a hybrid where the colors are simply labels for the combinations.

So, the 10 "aspects" are as follows:
Community: The well-being of the group. Focuses on your allies more than friends. Yin-aligned.
Discovery: Finding things people didn't know about; secrets, principles of math and science, stuff like that. Yin-aligned.
Emotion: Feeling and expressing things like pain, sorrow, anger etc. Yang-aligned.
Freedom: The belief you have the right to do as you please. Yin-aligned.
Growth: Making things bigger, and bigger is better. Yin-aligned.
Harmony: Balance is important, and keeping it has to be SOMEONE's job. Yang-aligned.
Individuality: Everyone's unique; some simply are more concerned about their own interests than others. Yin-aligned.
Knowledge: Knowing is half the battle; the other half is using it. Yang-aligned.
Order: Whether balanced or not, there are rules to be maintained. Yang-aligned.
Power: The strong can help the weak...or thrash them into the dust like the vermin they are. Yang-aligned.

Now, as for the colors that I've worked out:
Pink-(Community/Emotion; Neutral): Your primary concern is the well-being of your allies, physical and mental. You are compassionate and protective of your allies, sometimes to the point of beating monsters upside the head to keep them safe. The symbol of this color is a heart, and its main association is with the good-natured fey and love.
Azure-(Knowledge/Power; Yang): Your priority is to get better at what you're good at; ultimately, you want perfection in the art of your choice, and you're not too concerned about what it'll cost. This singlar focus sometimes means that there are people in the way of what you want. Those people usually die quite fast. The symbol of this color is an upright blaze, and its main association is with incarnum and arcane power.
Orange-(Harmony/Order; Yang): You are the calmest person in the room, and your task is to become even moreso. When your allies need a cool head to turn to, whether they know it or not, you are the one they turn to. Of course, violence disrupts the peace of those around you, and when others are restless you tend to feel it, and when you feel something, Pelor forbid you get a chance to get the offenders in the same room. The symbol of this color is a clenched fist, and its main association is monks and physical activity.
Teal-(Discovery/Freedom; Yin): Your heart is tuned to the concept of adventure; if there is something to be found out in the world, you are the one who yearns to find it. Sometimes, people seek to prevent you from your latest near discovery, but you have a few tricks up your sleeve to make sure they cannot keep you down and curious. When your friends need someone who can tell them what that weird symbol does, you might know - and i you don't, you'll be the first to find out. The symbol of this color is an hourglass, and its main association is teleportation and time.

That's what I have right now; I'm hoping to have my versions of Yellow, Grey, Purple and Brown. Other colors are fair game at this point and I'm open for suggestions.

Red-Emotion/Freedom:You are a paragon of a free spirit, filled with wanderlust and passion in all you do and feel. You are not afraid to express what you feel is right, to devote yourself to any task and see it finished, and do not care much for the prejudices of society. Your big mouth may bring you enemies, but you don't really care. You refuse to let your emotions to be repressed, and your allies can always rely on you to speak your mind and never quit. This color's symbol is the flag, and it's main associations are rebels, patriots, and leaders.

JBPuffin
2013-07-20, 01:29 AM
Okay, I'm somewhat surprised by the interest...as to y'all's comments

@gr8artist: Honestly, the Yin-Yang aligning was so that all the 5 normal colors would be balanced and not aligned in any particular order/reason, so... I'll take your word and change it. As to the 45 colors...I'm okay with it, as the colors are little more than labels and thus not required.

@JonathonWilder: There are a few options here, but I'd settle for Individuality/Discovery; you want to learn through your own effort, and while you are willing to help others your primary concern is your own skin.

@caledscratcher: While I was avoiding 3-aspect alignments, that's quite good. Sounds like a bard or blue mage to me.

@Arkhosia: That's a whole new way of looking at Red. Good work, madam.