PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Worth the LA if Wizard?

Raenir Salazar
2013-07-09, 03:21 AM
I'm in a campaign where my character is a female human wizard who is interested in acquiring immortality and OOC Vampirism seemed the best bet, but the +4 LA seems kinda pricey.

Is there a sort of lesser vampire template with a lower LA? Or by the time I acquire the template I'm probably high level enough it doesn't really matter? Like once the party is one level ahead of me arrange a private session where I teleport off to somewhere and grind quests/adventures/encounters until I catch up and just embrace the whole package?

Waker
2013-07-09, 03:30 AM
No, the +4 LA would not be worth it for a wizard. But fear not, the LA is actually +8. The easiest way to become an undead is the Necropolitan template from Libris Mortis.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-09, 04:33 AM
Lich is marginally better (at +4 LA) and is still not worth it (except maybe at epic). 1LA is hard to justify on a wizard (even if +int), so 4 is out of the question, and the 8 from vampire is insane. If you are playing gestalt, and allowing LA to count as one side of a gestalt, it might be worth it (still not better than factotum levels). Necropolitan is a good option, it might set you back initially, but it will level up faster for a while to make up for it much faster than you would think (xp is a river).

Raenir Salazar
2013-07-09, 04:58 AM
If I were to suggest homebrewing up a vampire template with 0 LA what could be removed?

Muggins
2013-07-09, 05:19 AM
The +4 LA Vampire template you're mentioning is the one for a vampire spawn, which is already a weaker vampire who is bound in service to another. The full vampire template is +8 LA.

That said, Once you have the vampire template and level 10 there's the option to become a Vampire Lord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a). While it's still not worth it for a spellcaster (You'll only ever see 6th level spells!), it provides numerous bonuses which can be somewhat useful.

The best option for an arcane spellcaster seeking immortality is the Necropolitan template from Libis Mortis. It's +0 LA, but you lose a level and some experience when you take it - which can be as early as level two, I think.

DMVerdandi
2013-07-09, 05:30 AM
If I were to suggest homebrewing up a vampire template with 0 LA what could be removed?

For LA 0, I would say nearly everything.

-Instead of using the drain that the vampire uses, have blood-suck, which allows all the hp damage that the vampire causes with it's bite attack to be absorbed.

-Give it Undead traits

-Have it able to resurrect anyone that is dying by giving it's blood, which causes a negative level. The person resurrected becomes a vampire.

-Vampire weaknesses:
Nauseous in sunlight
fire does double damage

-Favored class: Sorcerer
Just rock with that. Screw all the other strengths and weaknesses.
In fact, simply make some traditional vampire spells to go with them. Make it so that vampire powers are simply spells.

Come up with a vampire sorcerer racial class progression, where they can substitute their own health for metamagic, and can absorb any spells known through drinking blood.
And that's it. Bare-bones, but it works.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-09, 05:39 AM

I cannot recommend this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8056982&postcount=173) enough. On top of doing the vampire trope perfectly, it also only eats two levels and lets you count those levels as spellcasting levels for all effects (spells known/per day, CL) by spending "blood charges." It also works for manifesting. And if you don't want/need those extra levels for casting today (it's downtime), you can use the blood charges to dominate people, change shape, summon, spider climb, or heal. Just keep a bunch of chickens around to drain of their blood.

Eldan
2013-07-09, 05:41 AM
For an LA 0 vampire, I suggest Necropolitan on a base race that does what you want from a vampire, then choosing fitting spells and prestige classes.

Bestial vampire? Shifter.
Shapeshifting trickster vampire? Changeling.

And so on.

Raenir Salazar
2013-07-09, 05:53 AM
I cannot recommend this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8056982&postcount=173) enough. On top of doing the vampire trope perfectly, it also only eats two levels and lets you count those levels as spellcasting levels for all effects (spells known/per day, CL) by spending "blood charges." It also works for manifesting. And if you don't want/need those extra levels for casting today (it's downtime), you can use the blood charges to dominate people, change shape, summon, spider climb, or heal. Just keep a bunch of chickens around to drain of their blood.

This is perfect!

Darth Stabber
2013-07-09, 02:31 PM

I would go with half vampire + necropolitan and allow LA buyoff. It's not exactly what you want, but it's simple, elegant and works within the rules. Half vampire gives a smattering of vampire abilities, and necropolitan provided the undeadness. It lacks a lot the vampire's strength, but it lacks the annoying/crippling weaknesses.

Raenir Salazar
2013-07-12, 11:50 PM
Actually something I noticed/forgot to mention that this is for within pathfinder. Just me or is there no LA in pathfinder? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/vampire)

AuraTwilight
2013-07-12, 11:58 PM
Yea, Pathfinder has no LA mechanic. Instead, races (and templates) can be broken into point values based on traits and abilities.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-13, 12:19 AM
Yea, Pathfinder has no LA mechanic. Instead, races (and templates) can be broken into point values based on traits and abilities.

Well, sort of. ECL and CR were thrown together into one mechanic, so a CR 4 monster is appropriate in a party of humans with four class levels. At least theoretically.

Novawurmson
2013-07-13, 12:28 AM
Well, sort of. ECL and CR were thrown together into one mechanic, so a CR 4 monster is appropriate in a party of humans with four class levels. At least theoretically.

"Theoretically" being the key word here. The basic PF answer (http://paizo.com/PRD/monsters/monstersAsPCs.html) is "Monsters as PCs doesn't really work unless everyone is playing a monster with the same CR. And even then."

Which is true. Monsters just really don't work as PCs. If you're playing PF, I'd recommend Dhampir (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-dhampir), maybe an Undead bloodline sorcerer.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-13, 01:40 AM
Which is true. Monsters just really don't work as PCs. If you're playing PF, I'd recommend Dhampir (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-dhampir), maybe an Undead bloodline sorcerer.

If you still like the vampire class I linked, it's perfectly usable in PF too. Just drop the HD to d8, and don't forget you're also immune to bleed damage and get Charisma to HP and Fortitude saves (so definitely consider Sorcerer instead of Wizard).